Troy Andersen

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: Troy Andersen

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:42 am

Hawks86 wrote:I'd give him full time reps at LB this spring.
Idk. Would be nice to play him everywhere... But a stud player like that needs the ball in his hands IMO.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:47 am

Pretty sure this thread might break the all time record and hit about 75 pages by next august..... ha.

I don't think this topic of discussion/debate is going anywhere soon

FTG- GO CATS GO!

85CatGrad
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by 85CatGrad » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:50 am

91catAlum wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
seataccat wrote:Yes, the kid is a freak athlete, but he is not going to be a super running back but he will be a steller defensive player, make him a lb or a thumper safety.
Disagree, that kid's speed when he turns the corner is flat out scary. He'd make a great RB!
Agreed. Not sure how you can say he wouldn't be a super back when he ran for 500 yards in limited action.
Yep, and scored 2 TDs as a true freshman on the biggest stage possible at MSU.
Kids the real deal.
I would guess Troy will add 15 to 20lbs of muscle in the offseason. Can you imagine what it would be like trying to tackle a high speed train?

My vote is RB!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:58 am

91catAlum wrote:
Idk. Would be nice to play him everywhere... But a stud player like that needs the ball in his hands IMO.
Sure. I just think he needs more reps at the LB position this spring. I don't think it fully plays out until next fall.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:00 am

85CatGrad wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
seataccat wrote:Yes, the kid is a freak athlete, but he is not going to be a super running back but he will be a steller defensive player, make him a lb or a thumper safety.
Disagree, that kid's speed when he turns the corner is flat out scary. He'd make a great RB!
Agreed. Not sure how you can say he wouldn't be a super back when he ran for 500 yards in limited action.
Yep, and scored 2 TDs as a true freshman on the biggest stage possible at MSU.
Kids the real deal.
I would guess Troy will add 15 to 20lbs of muscle in the offseason. Can you imagine what it would be like trying to tackle a high speed train?

My vote is RB!
I think what they did with him Saturday at RB is perfect. On the field for a good amount of plays, but not making him the feature back. He could definitely play both ways in that case, and be a beast on both sides of the ball.

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:27 am

85CatGrad wrote:I would guess Troy will add 15 to 20lbs of muscle in the offseason. Can you imagine what it would be like trying to tackle a high speed train?

My vote is RB!
Not just him. A number of these guys are going to benefit from some college weight room time and be forces to be reckoned with.

If Troy can keep his speed and bulk up some =P~

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:32 am

Hawks86 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Sure. I just think he needs more reps at the LB position this spring. I don't think it fully plays out until next fall.
Gotcha. Yes I agree with that!

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:43 am

If our RB's can stay healthy, I would expect him at LB.

He'll have a few package plays on offense though. So hopefully our RB's stay healthy.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:53 am

As someone who keeps close tabs on the entire Big Sky Conference, Troy Andersen is the most physically stunning blend of size and speed in the entire league and that's as a true freshman from a Montanan Class A school playing running back for the first time in his entire life. He rushed for 515 yards and five touchdowns — North Dakota workhorse Brady Oliveira rushed for 637 yards and 3 TDs for comparison sake — and he didn't even practice with the offense the second half of the season.

Troy Andersen out ran Josh Buss on at least three different occasions on Saturday. When they run the speed option with him, if you kick out the corner and the timing on the pitch is right, you literally can't stop it. He runs the toss sweep and the speed option like the state champion 200 runner he was in high school. His ability to turn the corner is absolutely astounding. I understand that has the athleticism to be an All-Big Sky linebacker and that Choate will have a hard time of convincing Ty Gregorak to not use him on defense. But I think it would be foolish to not play him on offense. With further development, I think he could be truly unstoppable because, well, he basically already is.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:05 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:As someone who keeps close tabs on the entire Big Sky Conference, Troy Andersen is the most physically stunning blend of size and speed in the entire league and that's as a true freshman from a Montanan Class A school playing running back for the first time in his entire life. He rushed for 515 yards and five touchdowns — North Dakota workhorse Brady Oliveira rushed for 637 yards and 3 TDs for comparison sake — and he didn't even practice with the offense the second half of the season.

Troy Andersen out ran Josh Buss on at least three different occasions on Saturday. When they run the speed option with him, if you kick out the corner and the timing on the pitch is right, you literally can't stop it. He runs the toss sweep and the speed option like the state champion 200 runner he was in high school. His ability to turn the corner is absolutely astounding. I understand that has the athleticism to be an All-Big Sky linebacker and that Choate will have a hard time of convincing Ty Gregorak to not use him on defense. But I think it would be foolish to not play him on offense. With further development, I think he could be truly unstoppable because, well, he basically already is.
Thank you! =D^

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:06 am

What a great problem to have. :thumbup:

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:58 pm

https://twitter.com/MSUBobcats/status/932744096367693824 Now a finalist.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:36 pm

VimSince03 wrote:https://twitter.com/MSUBobcats/status/932744096367693824 Now a finalist.
=D^

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:53 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:As someone who keeps close tabs on the entire Big Sky Conference, Troy Andersen is the most physically stunning blend of size and speed in the entire league and that's as a true freshman from a Montanan Class A school playing running back for the first time in his entire life. He rushed for 515 yards and five touchdowns — North Dakota workhorse Brady Oliveira rushed for 637 yards and 3 TDs for comparison sake — and he didn't even practice with the offense the second half of the season.

Just very much agree here ~ very rare offensive threat at this level

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:00 pm

I’m not a football technician by any means and I clearly picked up on that in the second quarter. I thought for sure they would continue to make hay with that in the second half but it was completely abandoned.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:52 pm

Cledus wrote:

I’m not a football technician by any means and I clearly picked up on that in the second quarter. I thought for sure they would continue to make hay with that in the second half but it was completely abandoned.
Yeah, I was stunned that for all the success that option pitch to Anderson had in the first half, we saw none of it in the second. As we're trying to pound the football up the middle and the continual quarterback keepers......The griz did nothing to even begin to slow that option and Anderson's speed once he makes the corner. Why did we completely abandon that?

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:55 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Cledus wrote:

Yeah, I was stunned that for all the success that option pitch to Anderson had in the first half, we saw none of it in the second. As we're trying to pound the football up the middle and the continual quarterback keepers......The griz did nothing to even begin to slow that option and Anderson's speed once he makes the corner. Why did we completely abandon that?
Because that's what we did all year. We never repeated things we did successfully on offense. Instead of passing on 3rd and 6 with 2 mins to go we should have run a speed option, or any run play for that matter. But instead we stopped the clock with an incomplete pass, preserving the Griz final TO.

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:05 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
Cledus wrote:

Because that's what we did all year. We never repeated things we did successfully on offense. Instead of passing on 3rd and 6 with 2 mins to go we should have run a speed option, or any run play for that matter. But instead we stopped the clock with an incomplete pass, preserving the Griz final TO.
People talk about making adjustments, but usually its making adjustments to make something work. I think our problem all year was exactly the opposite. We found things that worked, but it seemed like there was script or something - players had to get a certain number of touches, someone had to get minutes, there was something we put in the playbook that we just absolutely had to get in the game with no regards to what was actually working. We didn't make adjustments to the game plan to allow for continuing to do the things that were successful. The win was great no doubt, but we squandered 4th quarter opportunities that led to the game being closer than it actually was or needed to be.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:00 pm

KittieKop wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
Cledus wrote:

People talk about making adjustments, but usually its making adjustments to make something work. I think our problem all year was exactly the opposite. We found things that worked, but it seemed like there was script or something - players had to get a certain number of touches, someone had to get minutes, there was something we put in the playbook that we just absolutely had to get in the game with no regards to what was actually working. We didn't make adjustments to the game plan to allow for continuing to do the things that were successful. The win was great no doubt, but we squandered 4th quarter opportunities that led to the game being closer than it actually was or needed to be.
Y'all have articulated what I was wondering. Why did we go away from Andersen in the 4th quarter? Maybe it was because pitching the ball does have certain amount of risk to it? Not putting them away tainted this wonderful win ever so slightly. We should have avalanched them instead of holding on by our fingernails.

In any case regarding the future of young Mr. Andersen: There's an old saying, "Offense sells tickets. Defense wins championships. But selling lots of tickets gets super cool football facilities built that helps us recruit even better players which will win us championships." Or something like that. The value of a kid from Dillon, Montana scoring lots of touchdowns for this program cannot be overstated. I think we need to find a talent almost as good as Andersen to play linebacker and then give Troy the ball.

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:27 pm

Agree x100. If we are going to develop into the type of team Choate wants, we need a back like troy to be the leader of it. With a winter and spring in the weight room, he can turn into a dominant, run finishing force, in addition to his great speed.