Troy Andersen

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Re: Troy Andersen

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:12 am

catatac wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:There are a lot of kids like Elvis Apkla or Beau Sandland standing on the sidelines of Power 5 schools who would love to spend a couple years getting decent play time at MSU. Waiting for an announcement of a couple receiver transfers.
It would be great to luck into a legit FBS talented receiver that was the right fit for MSU, but personally I have a lot of confidence in the receivers we currently have on the roster.
I hope you're correct. Recent memory we had Junior Adams, Jefferson, I think Gates was a transfer, and Akpla and Sandland transfered in. Most Power 5 schools have at least ten receivers on their rosters who will get some play time over a five year period. Many of these kids could do well here immediately.The brothers from Bozeman both have the length and speed to develop into good receivers who can win against the smaller cornerbacks the conference has but it would be nice to see somebody the staff has confidence in the middle, especially on third down even though they were pretty good on third downs last year, but not because of the receivers.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:14 am

catatac wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:There are a lot of kids like Elvis Apkla or Beau Sandland standing on the sidelines of Power 5 schools who would love to spend a couple years getting decent play time at MSU. Waiting for an announcement of a couple receiver transfers.
It would be great to luck into a legit FBS talented receiver that was the right fit for MSU, but personally I have a lot of confidence in the receivers we currently have on the roster.
As do the coaches or I think we would have seen another BIG WR transfer come our way by now. It would be nice to have a taller WR we can run fade routes to in the redzone but maybe they are thinking of playing one of the 2 freshman WR's this year.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:10 pm

Surpassed even my expectations. I see a handful of people passive-aggressively crapping on him as a QB before he's taken a snap as if the other QBs are so bad, they had to stick Andersen in at QB. Totally unfair to every QB on the roster.

Bad look for parents of recruits reading this board, IMO. Plus, think Jordan Lynch, who Bob Cole coached to the Heisman ceremony as a smaller QB at Northern Illinois.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:13 pm

PapaG wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:10 pm
Surpassed even my expectations. I see a handful of people passive-aggressively crapping on him as a QB before he's taken a snap as if the other QBs are so bad, they had to stick Andersen in at QB. Totally unfair to every QB on the roster.

Bad look for parents of recruits reading this board, IMO. Plus, think Jordan Lynch, who Bob Cole coached to the Heisman ceremony as a smaller QB at Northern Illinois.
Well said =D^

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:35 pm

Yep, Papa, I'm with you. I just want to win with dignity and respect. Put the best players on the field and play ball!!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:28 pm

It is crazy to me that all the Pac-12 and especially Mountain West schools missed out on offering Troy. He’s a legitimate 4* recruit had he went to HS in Washington or Oregon.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Phat Daddy
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Phat Daddy » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:48 am

He is one of the conferences 11 best football players, but may not be able to garner anything more than honorable mention. He may be first conference MVP that wasn't 1st or 2nd team. An all-purpose award needs to be originated this afternoon.

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:18 am

Phat Daddy wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:48 am
He is one of the conferences 11 best football players, but may not be able to garner anything more than honorable mention. He may be first conference MVP that wasn't 1st or 2nd team. An all-purpose award needs to be originated this afternoon.
That’s crazy , but makes his willingness, to do what ever he can for the team , all the more impressive .

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:06 am

Phat Daddy wrote:
What a great observation! He should be in the discussion for offensive MVP but at the QB position, the Big Sky first and second team selections will probably go to Gubrud (if he qualifies with the injury), Maier or Gueller.

Phat Daddy
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Phat Daddy » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:43 am

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:06 am
Phat Daddy wrote:
What a great observation! He should be in the discussion for offensive MVP but at the QB position, the Big Sky first and second team selections will probably go to Gubrud (if he qualifies with the injury), Maier or Gueller.
Coaches have discretion and liberties as they vote on the selections. They are all smart enough to realize his rank as a player in the conference and rank as our MVP, if not the league's. I'm going to say he is 1st team, with the league naming their first ever all-purpose player. [-o<

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:46 am

Phat Daddy wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:43 am
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:06 am
Phat Daddy wrote:
Coaches have discretion and liberties as they vote on the selections. They are all smart enough to realize his rank as a player in the conference and rank as our MVP, if not the league's. I'm going to say he is 1st team, with the league naming their first ever all-purpose player. [-o<
He's punted a few times. Put him there.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:49 pm

Andersen had a passer rating of 87.9 the first seven games (2 of which he didn’t play QB) and has a rating of 129.6 the past five games. That’s almost a 50% increase. His 129.6 would rank him 7th in the BSC. One spot below Sneed.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:03 pm

iaafan wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:49 pm
Andersen had a passer rating of 87.9 the first seven games (2 of which he didn’t play QB) and has a rating of 129.6 the past five games. That’s almost a 50% increase. His 129.6 would rank him 7th in the BSC. One spot below Sneed.
I don’t think cherry picking his 5 best games and comparing him to Sneed is very apples to apples though.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:07 pm

[quote=Grizaddict post_id=652013 time=1543266186 user_id=21719]
[quote=iaafan post_id=652011 time=1543265389 user_id=170]
[/quote]

I don’t think cherry picking his 5 best games and comparing him to Sneed is very apples to apples though.
[/quote]

I wasn’t comparing him to Sneed. Just pointing out where he would be in the league to give those numbers context. Sneed and everyone else’s numbers are for the season. Andersen’s are the last five games with Miller at OC.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:10 pm

It’d be interesting to see what Andersen’s Total QBR is. ESPN has a secret formula for this and it includes rushing stats, sacks, fumbles and ??? I’m sure Andersen would be near the top in that category in the BSC.

Bobcatdaddio
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Bobcatdaddio » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:22 pm

Bobcats #15 looks a lot like another #15 that was pretty decent (absent the left-handed throws), similar running styles. :o

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:41 pm

iaafan wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:07 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:03 pm
iaafan wrote:

I wasn’t comparing him to Sneed. Just pointing out where he would be in the league to give those numbers context. Sneed and everyone else’s numbers are for the season. Andersen’s are the last five games with Miller at OC.
Fair enough, I’ll apologize then as I read that wrong. I thought by mentioning Sneed particularly that it was a comparison.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:20 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:41 pm
iaafan wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:07 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:03 pm
iaafan wrote:
Fair enough, I’ll apologize then as I read that wrong. I thought by mentioning Sneed particularly that it was a comparison.
The last five games marks the beginning of our new offensive coordinator. Seems like a fair and logical spot for cutoff.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:36 pm

iaafan wrote:
That’s a dramatic improvement. I know Murray was steadily improving, but not that quickly. Murray’s rating was 130.2 his last five games. Murray’s first year it was 110.6.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Cats4Ever24
New Recruit

Post by Cats4Ever24 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:17 pm

Troy is the fiercest competitor I think that we’ve seen in a while, he just does what he has to do to win. I’m not sure what will happen, if he focuses on throwing in the off-season he could be even better! But if we pick up someone like Gresch Jensen, then he’ll be an all American linebacker. This kid can get it done. Either way, I say we go deeper into the playoffs next year with him as the leader of this team.