BIG SKY POWER RANKINGS: First week of league play

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:53 pm

http://skylinesportsmt.com/big-sky-powe ... ague-play/

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: BIG SKY POWER RANKINGS: First week of league play

Post by Catsrgrood » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:19 pm

What?! We're not #1?! AND you didn't pick the Cats this week?! What the heck is this? :D

Thanks for the coverage, it's appreciated by most, truly.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:15 am

Great article Colter, but why do you hate Cal Poly so much? :wink:

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:54 am

Why does Colter hate puppies?

If you read between the lines in that article, it is very clear that Colter hates puppies.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:08 am

Power rankings have us at 8th? Come on. Cats are top 3 for sure and definitely better than um. Remember what happened last November?

ImagineSanta

Post by ImagineSanta » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:14 am

utucats wrote:Power rankings have us at 8th? Come on. Cats are top 3 for sure and definitely better than um. Remember what happened last November?
No.

I think you don't get it. Sleeping in until 6 won't get many people very far in life, especially if they want to play on Sunday.
-Cat Grad

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:25 am

Wow, when was the last time ISU was in the conversation about being even in the top 5 in the conference, even if only for a moment?

In fact when was the last time one of the "Big 3" wasn't mentioned in the top 3 best teams currently in the conference? You'd have to go back a long ways I suspect.

MSU is right where I would put us as well based on the reasoning. It's hard not to think we should be ranked higher than UND, but UND has a 35-0 win over a bad MVFC team, and we are sitting at 0-2. But the loss to USD was as bad a loss as you can get.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:36 am

These are going to need a vast reworking... How far does SUU fall?

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:28 pm

blueandgoldblitz wrote:These are going to need a vast reworking... How far does SUU fall?
To No. 8. Vastly reworked is right...Cats up to No.3...and picked to beat No. 1...

BIG SKY POWER RANKINGS: Second week of Big Sky play
http://skylinesportsmt.com/big-sky-powe ... -sky-play/

Macneil4023
New Recruit

Post by Macneil4023 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:27 pm

This will be Bob Stitt's last year in Missoula, call it a hunch, but a man who came in with a bang with go out with a whimper! Mark it down!!

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:40 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:These are going to need a vast reworking... How far does SUU fall?
To No. 8. Vastly reworked is right...Cats up to No.3...and picked to beat No. 1...

Gee, thanks for the kiss of death Colter... :lol:

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:43 pm

Macneil4023 wrote:This will be Bob Stitt's last year in Missoula, call it a hunch, but a man who came in with a bang with go out with a whimper! Mark it down!!
I feel like since we're Cat fans we should take the high road and at least call their coach by his real name...

His name is Roberts Utter, and don't talk about fight club.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:13 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:

What makes you lean towards MSU in this one, Colter? Just curious, you have Weber as your conference #1 and I've heard Choate about 5 different times state that Weber is the best team in the conference.

Home field advantage?
Coaching staff advantage?
Chris Murray's maturity?
You're intimidated by the "Colter hates the Cats" thread? ;)

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:26 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:

Gee, thanks for the kiss of death Colter... :lol:
Yep....there’s proof right there that Colter hates the Cats. Dang closet griz fans. :-$

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:41 pm

Macneil4023 wrote:This will be Bob Stitt's last year in Missoula, call it a hunch, but a man who came in with a bang with go out with a whimper! Mark it down!!
Hope not.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:38 pm

catatac wrote:
Hope not.
I'm kind of torn on this one, which would be more fun to watch, them suffer through a few more years of Stitt, or them having to start over rebuilding again. It seems like lately they have a new coach ever three years, Phlue (whatever) with the Oregon style spread option, Delaney with the pro style power run, and then Stitt with Air Raid light. I think they ought to hire a triple option guy next just so they can have every type of offense in this decade.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:43 pm

catatac wrote:
Hope not.
Same. Hope he's there for at least 3-4 more years

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:40 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:
catatac wrote:
Hope not.
Same. Hope he's there for at least 3-4 more years
There's a lot to be said when a rival fan base wants said rival to hold onto their coach. Most griz fans wanted Ash to never leave, they loved him because they owned him.

That said, I hope they sign Stitt to a lifetime contract! He's pure gold for them, exactly everything they deserve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GO CATS GO!!!

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:12 am

91catAlum wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:

What makes you lean towards MSU in this one, Colter? Just curious, you have Weber as your conference #1 and I've heard Choate about 5 different times state that Weber is the best team in the conference.

Home field advantage?
Coaching staff advantage?
Chris Murray's maturity?
You're intimidated by the "Colter hates the Cats" thread? ;)
Montana State's game against Weber State last season began with one of the worst coaching decisions of the 2016 season. With Chris Murray making his first career start as a true freshman, Courtney Messingham called a speed option that forced Murray to pitch with his left hand on the fifth play of the game. This after an 11-play, 79-yard Weber State drive. MSU was down 14-0 before Murray had a chance to even throw a pass. Then Logan Jones, fielding one of his first kicks of the season, fumbled the kickoff. Weber scored with a short field again. Montana State was down 21-0 having run offensive 5 plays.

From that point, the Bobcats actually won the game 27-24. Granted, the last touchdown came as Jeff Choate tried to salvage some semblance of confidence and took a shot to the end-zone as time expired. But I remember thinking that Weber State actually had as hard a time handling Murray as any team in the league. That day, he had 199 yards passing and 131 yards rushing. In his first career start literally days after his 18th birthday.

The defensive scheme Weber State plays is to get in your face and pressure you at the line, especially on the outside. Montana State will have a hard time throwing the ball down the field on Saturday. But if Weber doesn't use a spy, Murray will run wild. If they do, the tight ends and inside receivers could have a big day.

What I saw with Brian Armstrong's offensive play calling last week left me incredibly impressed. If Montana State continues to manufacture third down and shorts, the Bobcats are quite literally impossible to stop because of Murray's skill set.

I think the North Dakota win will give this MSU team a sense of belief it's been yearning for. I think the stadium will be electric, which will be an advantage for the Bobcats. And I think the rest of the league will have serious issues with Murray until there are a few more games on film to use in game planning. Even then, he will be a problem. He is a special player.

Darth Yoda

Post by Darth Yoda » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:20 am

I hear Choate saying stuff about how revenge is shallow and doesn't score points. I also heard Gregorak say that they took us behind the woodshed last year. Anybody else get the feeling every time Choate poo-poo's the revenge element, Gregorak starts muttering under his breath that he's going to eff'ing kill these guys for what happened last year? Just a hunch. :lol: