Fan Question Friday

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BobcatEquipment
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: Fan Question Friday

Post by BobcatEquipment » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:16 am

msufaithful wrote:Okay, we got rid of the last names on the back of uniform is it allowed to have 406 there instead??

I'd have to contact the NCAA and double check, but I am about 75% sure that would not comply with NCAA uniform regulations.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:24 am

BobcatEquipment wrote:
msufaithful wrote:Okay, we got rid of the last names on the back of uniform is it allowed to have 406 there instead??

I'd have to contact the NCAA and double check, but I am about 75% sure that would not comply with NCAA uniform regulations.
Do they only allow special names when a team is honoring the military or a certain tragedy?

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:31 am

It seems to be allowed. Here are a couple teams who have done something like this. There was also MSU's military appreciation jerseys from a few years ago that had various words like "Honor", "Integrity", etc. on the back instead of player names. The article below about Houston using the city name instead of player names on the jerseys even mentions that this did not require NCAA approval. Personally I like the blank jerseys but there doesn't seem to be a rule against putting something else there.

South Florida: http://larrybrownsports.com/college-foo ... mes/238775

Houston: http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... ch-houston

UAB: http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-footba ... e5rk8amra0

BobcatEquipment
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BobcatEquipment » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:50 am

Might be something we could get approved if we requested, but just to clear any confusion, here is the actual ruling from the ncaa handbook.

What words, logos and symbols are allowed on the jersey? Other than the uniform number, here are the only items allowed by rule on the jersey (Rule 1-4-5-a-2):

Words • Player’s name—within the nameplate on the back • School name • Mascot name

Logos • NCAA • Conference • School • Mascot • Postseason Game • Memorial • Military

Flags • American flag • State flag

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:25 pm

How bout gold/chrome face masks? Would be a nice touch.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

BobcatEquipment
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BobcatEquipment » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:41 pm

Common Cat wrote:How bout gold/chrome face masks? Would be a nice touch.
$$$$$

And it would be very hard to match our gold in a chrome format

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:56 pm

BobcatEquipment wrote:
Common Cat wrote:How bout gold/chrome face masks? Would be a nice touch.
$$$$$

And it would be very hard to match our gold in a chrome format
I'm sure some donor in Bozeman could pony up.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:43 pm

Loved the uniforms today, especially the nice contrast between the gray jersey and gold helmet when the sun was shining. The striping pattern on the sleeves and pants is great. Turn the gray into navy/white and those would make awesome primary home/road jerseys instead of just an alternate.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:56 pm

MSU01 wrote:Loved the uniforms today, especially the nice contrast between the gray jersey and gold helmet when the sun was shining. The striping pattern on the sleeves and pants is great. Turn the gray into navy/white and those would make awesome primary home/road jerseys instead of just an alternate.
I agree. I liked the look if not so much the color.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:42 pm

MSU01 wrote:Loved the uniforms today, especially the nice contrast between the gray jersey and gold helmet when the sun was shining. The striping pattern on the sleeves and pants is great. Turn the gray into navy/white and those would make awesome primary home/road jerseys instead of just an alternate.
Yeah, I loved the striping on the sleeves and pants. It seemed a little vintage, in a good way.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

BobcatEquipment
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BobcatEquipment » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:50 am

Opening it up for Fan question Friday! Flight leaves this afternoon but I will do my best to stay in contact with any of your questions throughout the day

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:23 am

MSU01 wrote:
It seems to be allowed. Here are a couple teams who have done something like this. There was also MSU's military appreciation jerseys from a few years ago that had various words like "Honor", "Integrity", etc. on the back instead of player names. The article below about Houston using the city name instead of player names on the jerseys even mentions that this did not require NCAA approval. Personally I like the blank jerseys but there doesn't seem to be a rule against putting something else there.

South Florida: http://larrybrownsports.com/college-foo ... mes/238775

Houston: http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... ch-houston

UAB: http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-footba ... e5rk8amra0
I would think they would not allow numbers as it could be confused with player numbers. On the other hand, spelling it out like Ochocinco did in the NFL would probably be allowed. 8)

TIrwin24

Post by TIrwin24 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:52 am

BobcatEquipment wrote:Opening it up for Fan question Friday! Flight leaves this afternoon but I will do my best to stay in contact with any of your questions throughout the day
Who is the actual decision-maker for the jersey combo from week to week?

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:25 am

BobcatEquipment wrote:Opening it up for Fan question Friday! Flight leaves this afternoon but I will do my best to stay in contact with any of your questions throughout the day
Fingers crossed that Allegiant shows up on time and doesn't turn your flight into a longer trip than a bus ride would be! Great job with the fan interaction, those of us "snowflakes" who enjoy the uniform and equipment information appreciate it!

BobcatEquipment
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BobcatEquipment » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:41 am

TIrwin24 wrote:
Who is the actual decision-maker for the jersey combo from week to week?

Coach will usually talk it out with his captains as well as us. Some things are pre-determined like gold rush, and some things are more done as a what are we feeling for this game. Coach has also stated something that has played a big factor and that is how old our homes and aways are. We will be looking to replace our blues and whites in the near future as they are a few years old and their time in the cycle is up. So wearing the greys is nice to kinda help preserve those throughout this last season.

BobcatEquipment
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BobcatEquipment » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:42 am

MSU01 wrote:
Fingers crossed that Allegiant shows up on time and doesn't turn your flight into a longer trip than a bus ride would be! Great job with the fan interaction, those of us "snowflakes" who enjoy the uniform and equipment information appreciate it!

Thank you so much! we work very hard for these players and coaches, but the fan reactions make the job really worthwhile. Love when you guys get excited about the product we put on the field.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:56 am

What's this weeks combo and how dark of a visor does everybody have to wear to combat red blindness?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

BobcatEquipment
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BobcatEquipment » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:00 am

Hawks86 wrote:What's this weeks combo and how dark of a visor does everybody have to wear to combat red blindness?
all white/ and we are gonna put 100% tinted visors on everybody

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:02 am

I’ve been wondering about the tread on the shoes. Do all the positions pretty much use the same tread or are linemen different than speed positions.... also do all the turf fields take the same tread for good traction and what changes do you need to make for rain or snow?

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

BobcatEquipment
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BobcatEquipment » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:29 am

Joe Bobcat wrote:I’ve been wondering about the tread on the shoes. Do all the positions pretty much use the same tread or are linemen different than speed positions.... also do all the turf fields take the same tread for good traction and what changes do you need to make for rain or snow?

awesome question.

The tread is different from cleat to cleat. Most of the skill guys shoes are very similar. Lineman are a whole diff. story. The cleats we wear are what we call molded, meaning the cleats on the bottom are built into the shoe. Most thick grass schools will use detachable cleats that have a metal tip for extra grip. most turf fields are more or less the same, unless its a carpet like astroturf that you rarely see anymore. At my previous place of employment we had to get turf shoes for a game in those conditions, that are basically tennis shoes.

As far as rain or snow, it is what it is when it comes to turf. You do the best you can with what you have. If its raining 4-5 inches on a grass field then you are in for a long one. You put on the longest detachable spikes you can find and hope for the best.