Fan Question Friday

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Re: Fan Question Friday

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:39 am

BobcatEquipment wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:What's this weeks combo and how dark of a visor does everybody have to wear to combat red blindness?
all white/ and we are gonna put 100% tinted visors on everybody
I see you took my advice from the Inferno thread! Can't have our kids getting vision loss looking at that atrocious field!

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:42 am

BobcatEquipment wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:What's this weeks combo and how dark of a visor does everybody have to wear to combat red blindness?
Since MSU’s gone down the road of an alternative color (grey), you should go all reds, at least in warm ups, just to screw with ‘em.

Loved the alt uni’s by the way...

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:45 am

After the 2013 AA champ., when both Boz. and Glacier slid all over a frozen grass field, Glacier got a bunch of rubber bottomed cleats(similar to the old rubber waffle cleats used on astroturf) for the 2014 season and you could really see a difference when they played on cold hard grass fields at the end of the season.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:50 am

Anything new for the basketball teams this year? I hope the mens team still has the gold home unis in the rotation - those are fantastic and and a nice throwback to the great MSU teams of the '90s.

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:00 am

BobcatEquipment wrote:we are gonna put 100% tinted visors on everybody
:lol: Love it. Yes it helps, but we are no doubt trolling those guys.

BobcatEquipment
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BobcatEquipment » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:00 am

MSU01 wrote:Anything new for the basketball teams this year? I hope the mens team still has the gold home unis in the rotation - those are fantastic and and a nice throwback to the great MSU teams of the '90s.

I think you will be pleased with both our basketball teams attire this year. They've got some really sharp stuff in. Best dressed team in the Big Sky

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:39 am

BobcatEquipment wrote:
https://twitter.com/MSUBobcatsFB/status/918868055739973632

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:24 pm

BobcatEquipment wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:I’ve been wondering about the tread on the shoes. Do all the positions pretty much use the same tread or are linemen different than speed positions.... also do all the turf fields take the same tread for good traction and what changes do you need to make for rain or snow?

awesome question.

The tread is different from cleat to cleat. Most of the skill guys shoes are very similar. Lineman are a whole diff. story. The cleats we wear are what we call molded, meaning the cleats on the bottom are built into the shoe. Most thick grass schools will use detachable cleats that have a metal tip for extra grip. most turf fields are more or less the same, unless its a carpet like astroturf that you rarely see anymore. At my previous place of employment we had to get turf shoes for a game in those conditions, that are basically tennis shoes.

As far as rain or snow, it is what it is when it comes to turf. You do the best you can with what you have. If its raining 4-5 inches on a grass field then you are in for a long one. You put on the longest detachable spikes you can find and hope for the best.
When we played SDSU in the Playoffs in 2014 (I think) it appeared to me that the visitors had much better footing than we did. We slipped al over and their footing was pretty good.

Looked to me like they had the longer screw in cleats and we stuck with the standard shorter molded cleats. Is that possible to confirm???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BobcatEquipment
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BobcatEquipment » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:30 pm

77matcat wrote:
BobcatEquipment wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:I’ve been wondering about the tread on the shoes. Do all the positions pretty much use the same tread or are linemen different than speed positions.... also do all the turf fields take the same tread for good traction and what changes do you need to make for rain or snow?

awesome question.

The tread is different from cleat to cleat. Most of the skill guys shoes are very similar. Lineman are a whole diff. story. The cleats we wear are what we call molded, meaning the cleats on the bottom are built into the shoe. Most thick grass schools will use detachable cleats that have a metal tip for extra grip. most turf fields are more or less the same, unless its a carpet like astroturf that you rarely see anymore. At my previous place of employment we had to get turf shoes for a game in those conditions, that are basically tennis shoes.

As far as rain or snow, it is what it is when it comes to turf. You do the best you can with what you have. If its raining 4-5 inches on a grass field then you are in for a long one. You put on the longest detachable spikes you can find and hope for the best.
When we played SDSU in the Playoffs in 2014 (I think) it appeared to me that the visitors had much better footing than we did. We slipped al over and their footing was pretty good.

Looked to me like they had the longer screw in cleats and we stuck with the standard shorter molded cleats. Is that possible to confirm???

That I do not know. There would be no way to really confirm what they wore and this was before my time, so I am unable to say what we did as well.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:59 pm

BobcatEquipment wrote:
MSU01 wrote:Anything new for the basketball teams this year? I hope the mens team still has the gold home unis in the rotation - those are fantastic and and a nice throwback to the great MSU teams of the '90s.

I think you will be pleased with both our basketball teams attire this year. They've got some really sharp stuff in. Best dressed team in the Big Sky
Just saw the new men's road unis on the roster page on the website. Great look!

77matcat
Member # Retired

Fan Question Friday

Post by 77matcat » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:00 pm

Thanks!!! Thought I’d ask. Pretty sure that was the difference that day.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:09 pm

77matcat wrote:Thanks!!! Thought I’d ask. Pretty sure that was the difference that day.

Ya, that and nobody could tackle Zach Zenner!

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:28 pm

Back in the dark ages when I played High School football, our pants came down past the knee and we wore knee pads. Seems like many of the players uniform pants today don't cover the knee and don't have pads. Don't know when the switch occurred, but what's different now from then?

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:48 pm

91catAlum wrote:
77matcat wrote:Thanks!!! Thought I’d ask. Pretty sure that was the difference that day.

Ya if I recall correctly we were slipping all over trying to get to him and he was cutting and running with way less trouble.

Not that he wouldn’t have had a good day anyway, but we had zero traction. Made him look like a superstar.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:54 pm

77matcat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Ya if I recall correctly we were slipping all over trying to get to him and he was cutting and running with way less trouble.

Not that he wouldn’t have had a good day anyway, but we had zero traction. Made him look like a superstar.

Well he did run for over 6500 yards, had 61 TDs on the ground and averaged 6 YPC, so he was a superstar before he ran wild on us. Which is why he's a #2 in the NFL.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:05 am

Yup he was very very good. No debating that. We were slipping and sliding notably more than SD. Don’t feel that is debatable either.

DaCats21
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DaCats21 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:48 am

https://twitter.com/MSUBobcatsFB/status/921404065656926208

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:17 pm

Does any one know when the Fort Collins gathering starts??

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:20 pm

Hey equipment folks, do you carry an extra jersey for each player on the road in case of issues during the game?

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:57 pm

DaCats21 wrote:https://twitter.com/MSUBobcatsFB/status/921404065656926208
This is my favorite, (more traditional) away look

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz