Who will be the starting RB?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Who will be the starting RB?

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:42 pm

So who will be the starting RB? I realize there has been some injuries, and obviously there is the Lasane thing... but is Troy Anderson the starter?!? When it comes to the RB group so far, he is the guy that everyone is talking about...

Before fall practice started, I thought it was a toss up between Vander and Lasane. From everything I have read though, it sounds like Troy will beat them both out (regardless of Lasane's suspension).

Thoughts??? I have not seen them in person, curious what everyone thinks.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Re: Who will be the starting RB?

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:01 pm

mslacatfan wrote:So who will be the starting RB? I realize there has been some injuries, and obviously there is the Lasane thing... but is Troy Anderson the starter?!? When it comes to the RB group so far, he is the guy that everyone is talking about...

Before fall practice started, I thought it was a toss up between Vander and Lasane. From everything I have read though, it sounds like Troy will beat them both out (regardless of Lasane's suspension).

Thoughts??? I have not seen them in person, curious what everyone thinks.
I've had a buddy or 2 at most practices and at the scrimmage, and I keep hearing the same thing. "Troy Andersen is a beast." His combination of speed and power are rare. One even told me he's a tall Shyan (Shawn and Ryan) Johnson :lol: My money is on him. But I would expect 5+ carries a game for 3, maybe even 4 guys, possibly 5 with Murray running.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:30 pm

Choate also likes Tyrel Burgess...he is a freshman and small but really quick and like a waterbug...I would assume he would only carry about 2 or 3 times a game...he needs more muscle...but if he finds a hole...he's gone

2024 Resume dominance

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Team10 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:45 pm

Helcat72 wrote:Choate also likes Tyrel Burgess...he is a freshman and small but really quick and like a waterbug...I would assume he would only carry about 2 or 3 times a game...he needs more muscle...but if he finds a hole...he's gone
I had forgot about him but after a quick refresher of his hudl time I stick with my previous statement I made about him when he announced he commitment, "He can stop on a dime!!! Doesn't have extreme break away speed, but would be a great person to have receiving punts. Make a couple people miss then off to the races."

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:10 pm

It'll be Anderson or Vander.

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:13 pm

Where does Noah James who has been taking a lot of first team snaps play into this? Gotta think he will is #1 heading into Wazzu with Andersen and Vander getting plenty of runs as well

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:31 pm

Would love to see Murray, Anderson and May in a spread option......
Who would the defense key on for a run play?
And what options that would be for the receivers!

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:40 pm

It'll be Andersen until he turns pro.

Seriously I think it'll be Andersen, but a lot of players will get carries.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:44 am

I thought it was an interesting move when this was made. As I said earlier, I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when the coaches debated on moving Troy to the offensive side of the ball from the defensive side! With that said, I have watched two practices and have come away very impressed both times with Troy Andersen as a RB. However, he is still a Freshman and I hope we spread the wealth of carries, because I just don't think an 18 year old true Freshman is ready to carry the load and take a huge pounding. His best days are yet to come, let him get there and mature properly as a player. I like what I see in Vander, Jones, James, and Fitzgerald looked tough in the scrimmage. When Roper returns, we gain another body that appears to be very solid. LaSane needs to get focused and show the talent that he was recruited for. I think our depth at this position is impressive.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:04 am

What's up with Peagues (sp)? I remember quite a lot of hype about him but haven't heard much lately.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:50 am

catatac wrote:What's up with Peagues (sp)? I remember quite a lot of hype about him but haven't heard much lately.
Also Vander, I remember everyone was really high on him. Is it just because he was hurt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:43 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
catatac wrote:What's up with Peagues (sp)? I remember quite a lot of hype about him but haven't heard much lately.
Also Vander, I remember everyone was really high on him. Is it just because he was hurt?

I saw a quick flash of Andersen in a highlight on the news. My thought was he looked like he was running scared (I would be as a freshman), but I was super impressed as he was big, quick, fast and powerful as he put his shoulders down instead of just running out of bounds. Only saw one play, but I could see the potential.

I am also curious about Pegues. I remember the phrase that you "couldn't touch him a hallway". He travelled all last year and even saw the field against Idaho for a play or two. I thought maybe the coaches were keeping him a secret for a special game (like Cat - Griz).

August newby
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by August newby » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:37 am

Cataholic,

I would remind you that there are very few true secrets these days. Seeing how we know who it won't be for at least the first 4 games, a golden opportunity has presented itself for someone to emerge from the crowd and be the next chad Newell, etal. Who that might be, only time will tell.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:50 am

Cataholic wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

I saw a quick flash of Andersen in a highlight on the news. My thought was he looked like he was running scared (I would be as a freshman), but I was super impressed as he was big, quick, fast and powerful as he put his shoulders down instead of just running out of bounds. Only saw one play, but I could see the potential.

I am also curious about Pegues. I remember the phrase that you "couldn't touch him a hallway". He travelled all last year and even saw the field against Idaho for a play or two. I thought maybe the coaches were keeping him a secret for a special game (like Cat - Griz).
He literally ran over guys during the scrimmage.
https://twitter.com/gregrachac/status/896440788300611584 https://twitter.com/pgabriel15/status/896439333292396544 https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/896440876657917952

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:59 am

I don't think it matters who starts, it's going to be a committee. Guy of the bench might get more carriers than the listed started, depends on the game.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:40 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

https://twitter.com/gregrachac/status/896440788300611584 https://twitter.com/pgabriel15/status/896439333292396544 https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/896440876657917952
My comment wasn't meant as a dig although I probably used a bad choice of words. Please look at the next sentence where I describe how impressive he looked.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:44 am

Cataholic wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

My comment wasn't meant as a dig although I probably used a bad choice of words. Please look at the next sentence where I describe how impressive he looked.
I saw it. And I understand why people think that about Troy when he runs. His upright running style makes him look slow at times....as he is running away from defenders.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:45 pm

Troy Anderson. The strength and conditioning program in Dillon is one of the best high school programs anywhere and that's why a school with Class B enrollment numbers can dominate to the extent that school does playing up a classification. He has the requisite work ethic already and will only improve with experience and a staff that will keep everything simple. Two 18 year old kids starting at the skill positions may afford this staff to build something similar to that in Cheney and the one at NDSU.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:41 pm

Sounds like Vander is healthy and doing some work. I'd guess we rotate Vander and Andersen.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:05 am

CelticCat wrote:Sounds like Vander is healthy and doing some work. I'd guess we rotate Vander and Andersen.
Probably correct. The only concern I have is some kids do well in practices and scrimmages but do not do a thing in a game.

I'm concerned this staff doesn't have the experience to recognize practice versus game mode such as Bo Jackson who we all know refused to practice.

Young coaches, especially NAIA, don't know how to tell if a kid who just "doesn't get it" in practice can shone during a game because all the sudden they are just playing football instead of thinking. Anyway...