Scrimmage 8/12

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Re: Scrimmage 8/12

Post by Bozcat003 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:18 am

mslacatfan wrote:My guess-

May and McChesney are the backups this year. I think the coaches would love to redshirt Rovig, unless they absolutely need him (due to a murray injury or something).

I think O'Reilly's future is at another position (along with May, starting next year).

Especially with Bauman coming in next year. Between him and Rovig, one of those 2 will be the future starter after Murray is done. Assuming Murray is the starter until he graduates- at that point Rovig would be a redshirt Junior and Bauman a redshirt Sophomore.

Who frickin knows though. Just look at what happened with the QB situation the last couple years- Quin McQuerey leaves the program (would have been the starter after prukop left), Prukop leaves early (was the starter), Bruggman brought in as a big dropdown (is not any good and loses the starting job), Jordan Hoy leaves the program (thinking bruggman beat him out, has a huge year at new school), forced to start a true freshman in Murray (and he tea-bags the grizz)...... it never really seems to pan out the way you plan it.
Good post, I agree with this. I think the coaches will redshirt Rovig UNLESS Murray goes down with an injury. If Murray goes down Rovig will jump up, but until then he redshirts. Callahan O'Reilly and Luke May will probably switch positions (O'Reilly - TE?, May reminds me of Griebel so maybe WR or Safety??)

I think the same with Chad Kanow (DE/Buck), Connor Wood (OG), and Zach Redd (C) ... All of them are having EXCELLENT fall camps, and could play this year, but the team would benefit if we could redshirt them barring injury

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:34 am

Phase 2 starts this week. The seats on the bus will start being assigned.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:32 am

Any highlights?

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:04 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:My guess-

May and McChesney are the backups this year. I think the coaches would love to redshirt Rovig, unless they absolutely need him (due to a murray injury or something).

I think O'Reilly's future is at another position (along with May, starting next year).

Especially with Bauman coming in next year. Between him and Rovig, one of those 2 will be the future starter after Murray is done. Assuming Murray is the starter until he graduates- at that point Rovig would be a redshirt Junior and Bauman a redshirt Sophomore.

Who frickin knows though. Just look at what happened with the QB situation the last couple years- Quin McQuerey leaves the program (would have been the starter after prukop left), Prukop leaves early (was the starter), Bruggman brought in as a big dropdown (is not any good and loses the starting job), Jordan Hoy leaves the program (thinking bruggman beat him out, has a huge year at new school), forced to start a true freshman in Murray (and he tea-bags the grizz)...... it never really seems to pan out the way you plan it.
Good post, I agree with this. I think the coaches will redshirt Rovig UNLESS Murray goes down with an injury. If Murray goes down Rovig will jump up, but until then he redshirts. Callahan O'Reilly and Luke May will probably switch positions (O'Reilly - TE?, May reminds me of Griebel so maybe WR or Safety??)

I think the same with Chad Kanow (DE/Buck), Connor Wood (OG), and Zach Redd (C) ... All of them are having EXCELLENT fall camps, and could play this year, but the team would benefit if we could redshirt them barring injury
I think this is probably the ideal situation. It makes a whole lot of sense to redshirt Rovig, especially if Murray stays healthy. In my opinion it would make sense to keep him redshirted even if Murray doesn't make it the whole season. If May continues to play well in camp there is no reason he or Mcchesney can't step up if Murray goes down. Just because Rovig is most likely the QB of the future (next year, 2019, 2020? Who knows) doesn't mean we can't win with May or Mcchesney on the field this year if it comes to it. I think if the coaches decide to redahirt Rovig it'll be a decision they won't go back on unless everyone and their dog goes down.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:27 pm

I agree that we are smart to redshirt Rovig and save him for the future. That said, I love the idea of bringing a kid like him every now and then with Murray lined up as a running back along with Jones/Anderson/Vander as the other running back. Make the defense commit to stopping the run and then burn them deep with a pass. I would love to see a screen pass go Murray's way too. Imagine that with the bigs out in front blocking.

Punters are people too!!

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:18 pm

Chris Murray on Tucker Rovig.

“I’ve said this since Tucker got here: he can be really great for us, honestly,” Murray said. “I don’t know what his role is but I hope he travels. I bet he plays for us this year."

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:40 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:Chris Murray on Tucker Rovig.

“I’ve said this since Tucker got here: he can be really great for us, honestly,” Murray said. “I don’t know what his role is but I hope he travels. I bet he plays for us this year."
Those are some very mature words from our young starting QB. I really like our depth and maturity at the lead position, very impressed with Murray and McChesney.

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:25 pm

For those who think he red shirts unless Murray goes down, if he's going to play in that case he'd be be expected to play like a first teamer after getting scout team reps. I don't see them doing that. If he gets the call in that case he doesn't red shirt. If he red shirts he red shirts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:27 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:Chris Murray on Tucker Rovig.

Those are some very mature words from our young starting QB. I really like our depth and maturity at the lead position, very impressed with Murray and McChesney.
That kind of thing rubs off on everyone. Players, coaches, fans, kids.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:39 pm

lutecat wrote:For those who think he red shirts unless Murray goes down, if he's going to play in that case he'd be be expected to play like a first teamer after getting scout team reps. I don't see them doing that. If he gets the call in that case he doesn't red shirt. If he red shirts he red shirts.

It's gonna be one of those things where if Murray gets hurt for a game or two, Brady can fill in (maybe), but if it's longer, Rovig is playing.

Rovig will most likely redshirt and travel. Brady seems like a great kid, and a good backup QB, but Rovig is a better option. At the same time, there's no point in playing Rovig if we don't need to.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:42 pm

lutecat wrote:For those who think he red shirts unless Murray goes down, if he's going to play in that case he'd be be expected to play like a first teamer after getting scout team reps. I don't see them doing that. If he gets the call in that case he doesn't red shirt. If he red shirts he red shirts.

I think they redshirt him. He'll still have 2 years of eligibility after Murray graduates, he can be a two year starter.
And if you play him in certain situations this season, and he does well, do we have a QB controversy ala Bruggman/Murray.
Best not to burn a year of eligibility on a part time QB.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:01 pm

Maybe a question for vim, how does Baumen look in hs compared to Rovig in hs?

I think they will red shirt Rovig, we have to many capable guys to waste a year on him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:03 pm

FTG- GO CATS GO!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:33 pm

bobcat99 wrote:

It's gonna be one of those things where if Murray gets hurt for a game or two, Brady can fill in (maybe), but if it's longer, Rovig is playing.

Rovig will most likely redshirt and travel. Brady seems like a great kid, and a good backup QB, but Rovig is a better option. At the same time, there's no point in playing Rovig if we don't need to.
If that's the case, and it very well could be, then Rovig will take snaps vs. Washington State.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:56 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

If that's the case, and it very well could be, then Rovig will take snaps vs. Washington State.
Why would you think Murray gets injured in the first game?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:33 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Why would you think Murray gets injured in the first game?
You said "if he gets hurt" and if you're a coach and you're contemplating that (you have to in this sport), then you need to have your no. 2 guy ready. If Rovig is the no. 2 QB and he's never taken a snap in a college game you get him snaps. Choate will probably play his no. 2 in game one. If it's McChesney, then he'll play vs. WSU. If it's Rovig, then he'll play. That's not only a logical thing to do it's just like last year vs. Idaho, so Choate also has a history of doing that.

toM StUber

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:18 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:Maybe a question for vim, how does Baumen look in hs compared to Rovig in hs?

I think they will red shirt Rovig, we have to many capable guys to waste a year on him

Both have comparable size and arm strength. Tucker is a better overall athlete while Casey has a little more velocity on his throws down the field. Tucker can still drive the ball downfield but Casey drops throws everywhere. Right now, I would say Tucker is a better overall prospect coming out of high school just because of his athleticism and ability to move quickly in the pocket. Overall, my view since Denarius McGhee got hurt at SMU is that you better have two or three QBs ready to go at all times in the Big Sky Conference because its rare for a QB to stay healthy all season. I thought Jake played admirably in those next few games after Denarius got hurt in 2013 but the fact remains that our offense took a step back. I would much rather have a QB log-jam like EWU has had over the past three years than have the problem MSU had last year. Having two or three good QBs ready to start at all times is a good problem to have.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:59 am

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:11 am

This is still a rebuilding phase in my opinion. Hopefully I'm wrong and we come out and win 7 or 8 games, but I think 5-6 is realistic. In that vein, you redshirt any guy you think is your future.

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:13 am

CelticCat wrote:This is still a rebuilding phase in my opinion. Hopefully I'm wrong and we come out and win 7 or 8 games, but I think 5-6 is realistic. In that vein, you redshirt any guy you think is your future.
As always we think pretty much alike. I think we redshirt anyone that won't contribute on more than 40% of plays. It's a waste of talent imo.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level