Fall camp

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Fall camp

Post by BigBruceBaker » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:34 am

Bigtimecat wrote:Just taking a minute to write my first post. Long-time Cat fan here, deep Cat roots and I like to think I am, "in the know"...like knowing how big of a homer griz Colter is. Haha Colter. Carry on.
This is fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:07 pm

Murray has been consistently impressive since the third-fourth day of camp. Washington popped onto the radar again yesterday. Cornerback is rounding into a good battle between several solid players. McCabe hasn't looked so good, but I think it's just been bad luck and flukey plays.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:16 pm

Rachac tweet-----
"Chad Kanow continues to impress on D. That time he comes off the edge and plants big FB RJ Fitzgerald into the ground"

A star is born? Kanow has been making a lot of noise of late.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:24 pm

CelticCat wrote:Sounds like the defense got shredded today through the air. Not a good sign.
On the flip side, there really is no "live" pass rush in camp, so if the passing game was struggling I'd be very concerned. Hopefully that's the case and once the games start the front 4 gets consistent pressure on the QB to help out the secondary.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:36 pm

PapaG wrote:
CelticCat wrote:Sounds like the defense got shredded today through the air. Not a good sign.
On the flip side, there really is no "live" pass rush in camp, so if the passing game was struggling I'd be very concerned. Hopefully that's the case and once the games start the front 4 gets consistent pressure on the QB to help out the secondary.
Good point. I also think Murray and Rovig would be shredding lots of BSC camp defenses. Camp defenses are usually better at stopping the run than the pass. When they do stop pass it's usually because the QB isn't very good.

toM StUber

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:42 pm

TomCat88 wrote:Rachac tweet-----
"Chad Kanow continues to impress on D. That time he comes off the edge and plants big FB RJ Fitzgerald into the ground"

A star is born? Kanow has been making a lot of noise of late.
Ask Vim, I've been a big Kanow fan since he signed.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:54 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Good point. I also think Murray and Rovig would be shredding lots of BSC camp defenses. Camp defenses are usually better at stopping the run than the pass. When they do stop pass it's usually because the QB isn't very good.
Secondary is the biggest question mark in camp. Talked about that at length today here:

Big Sky Breakdown: Nach on Sports spot, August 17
http://skylinesportsmt.com/big-sky-brea ... august-17/

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:59 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Secondary is the biggest question mark in camp. Talked about that at length today here:

Big Sky Breakdown: Nach on Sports spot, August 17
http://skylinesportsmt.com/big-sky-brea ... august-17/
McCabe certainly looked and sounded stumped or frustrated after the first scrimmage. I think he was putting it on himself a bit. Sounds like they made progress today. Saturday will be telling.

toM StUber

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:06 am

WATCH: Montana State Media Day 2017 — head coach Jeff Choate
http://skylinesportsmt.com/jeff-choate-media-day/

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:30 am

Interesting that in Colter's position breakdown in the secondary, Dre Jackson doesn't get a write up, just a tiny mention at the end. He is a JC Junior, so he should have experience - is he really just that far behind the two true freshman?

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:22 am

CelticCat wrote:Interesting that in Colter's position breakdown in the secondary, Dre Jackson doesn't get a write up, just a tiny mention at the end. He is a JC Junior, so he should have experience - is he really just that far behind the two true freshman?
I was surprised by that too, he was all-conference the last two years at JC and at one point had an offer from Georgia Tech while still in high school. I thought he would at least be in the rotation.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:30 am

luckyirishguy25 wrote:https://twitter.com/pgabriel15/status/895334370256404480 DMac burning KVA, nice toss by Matt Miller.
Awesome!!!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:42 am

RobertCats wrote:
CelticCat wrote:Interesting that in Colter's position breakdown in the secondary, Dre Jackson doesn't get a write up, just a tiny mention at the end. He is a JC Junior, so he should have experience - is he really just that far behind the two true freshman?
I was surprised by that too, he was all-conference the last two years at JC and at one point had an offer from Georgia Tech while still in high school. I thought he would at least be in the rotation.
He gets practice reps but is not really in the competition. He's not close to as talented as the other five players in the mix.

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:35 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
He gets practice reps but is not really in the competition. He's not close to as talented as the other five players in the mix.
This is a little bit concerning. If/when you bring in a JC player or dropdown transfer that likely only has a couple of years of eligibility left, you would expect them to compete for a spot right away. Not that every transfer will be a starter but they should at least make the rotation and be in the 2-deep.

The concerning part is if they are a transfer there should be plenty of film and info on them to know that they can (or can't) compete at this level. Hopefully as the season progresses things change. GO CATS!

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:28 pm

LISTEN - Big Sky Breakdown: Jeff Choate third week of August
http://skylinesportsmt.com/big-sky-brea ... ek-august/

In this episode, Montana State head coach Jeff Choate addresses the media following Wednesday, Thursday and Friday’s practices in Bozeman as MSU wraps up its third week of fall camp.

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:56 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:LISTEN - Big Sky Breakdown: Jeff Choate third week of August

In this episode, Montana State head coach Jeff Choate addresses the media following Wednesday, Thursday and Friday’s practices in Bozeman as MSU wraps up its third week of fall camp.
Choate's pretty funny in this listen!

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:02 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:LISTEN - Big Sky Breakdown: Jeff Choate third week of August

Choate's pretty funny in this listen!
Choate tends to have most thoughts and emotions right there on his sleeve, which I found hard to take last year when things weren't going well. I knew exactly the times when he thought we were going to lose, and he did the best he could (not very well) to put a happy face on it. Right now, in this interview particularly, I hear a guy that is pouring confidence and excitement. There's no doubt in my mind he thinks this team is going to win and win often. I just moved a mountain so I can sneak out for this scrimmage tomorrow.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:03 pm

So question for those in the know. If May doesn't play qb and he went to safety where do you think he would be in the depth chart?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:52 pm

May looked pretty fair in the scrimmage, but not quite as polished as the other 3. You can tell he is strong, because he can flick the ball on a line 20 yards on target...he just hasn't picked up the offense as well so far as the others...

I don't think anyone could make a judgement where he would be on the depth chart at safety....apples and oranges with QB....

2024 Resume dominance

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:15 pm

lutecat wrote:So question for those in the know. If May doesn't play qb and he went to safety where do you think he would be in the depth chart?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Right now he'd be buried at safety, but I think he should move there and immerse himself in the position. He's very athletic and MSU will lose three safeties (McCabe, Garcia, Wilson) this year.

toM StUber