Starters

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Starters

Post by CelticCat » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:25 pm

Well now that the roster "shakeup" may be complete, or at least there shouldn't be too much more additions or subtractions, and the roster being released this week, anyone want to take a stab at a starting lineup?

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Re: Starters

Post by Bozcat003 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:14 pm

CelticCat wrote:Well now that the roster "shakeup" may be complete, or at least there shouldn't be too much more additions or subtractions, and the roster being released this week, anyone want to take a stab at a starting lineup?
I'd say heading into fall camp we see soemthing like this:

QB : Chris Murray
RB: Nick LaSane/Edward Vander/Jake Roper
WR: Mitch Herbert
WR: Kevin Kassis
WR: Justin Paige
T: Dylan Mahoney
G: Jake McFeteridge
C: Alex Neale
G: Caleb Gillis/Lewis Kidd
T: Mitch Brott
TE: Connor Sullivan

BUCK: Grant Collins
DT: Zach Wright
Nose: Tucker Yates
End: Derek Marks
LB: Mac Bignell
LB: Josh Hill
LB: Balue Chapman
CB: Byce Alley
CB: Damien Washington/JoJo Henderson
S: Bryson McCabe
S: Brayden Konkol/Khari Garcia

Expect a big season from Josh Hill, Kevin Kassis and Connor Sullivan in my opinion

I could see the following freshman making an impact due to depth/talent, etc.

#8 Jalen Cole, CB
#2 Tyrell Thomas, CB
#11 Willie Patterson, WR
#4 James Campbell, WR
#94 Travis Yates, DT
#15 Troy Anderson, LB
#14 Keaton Anderson, DB
#12 Tucker Rovig, QB

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:00 am

Honestly @ RB, it should go Lasane, Jones/James then the transfers. I would love to see Logan Jones get more touchs this year. Pegues will be right in that mix too.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:36 am

FTG247365 wrote:Honestly @ RB, it should go Lasane, Jones/James then the transfers. I would love to see Logan Jones get more touchs this year. Pegues will be right in that mix too.
Why should it go that way, with the transfers coming after those guys?

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:13 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
FTG247365 wrote:Honestly @ RB, it should go Lasane, Jones/James then the transfers. I would love to see Logan Jones get more touchs this year. Pegues will be right in that mix too.
From what Coach has said, nobody has earned anything yet. Everybody is in the mix!

FTG247365

Post by FTG247365 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:36 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Cause Lasane is a senior and has earned it, Jones is a stud, James should get into the mix this year. I like guys who spend time in program and earn their time. Like watching Kirk earn his place in the history books. Nothing against transfers, we have had some great ones in the past.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:09 pm

FTG247365 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Cause Lasane is a senior and has earned it, Jones is a stud, James should get into the mix this year. I like guys who spend time in program and earn their time. Like watching Kirk earn his place in the history books. Nothing against transfers, we have had some great ones in the past.

I'd rather put the best player on the field. If it's LaSane, then that's great with me. I'd start a freshman is he was better than a senior that has spent five years in the program.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:50 pm

AFCAT wrote:
FTG247365 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

I'd rather put the best player on the field. If it's LaSane, then that's great with me. I'd start a freshman is he was better than a senior that has spent five years in the program.
Exactly.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:21 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
FTG247365 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

Exactly.
I think Coach has given a head nod to LaSane having the inside track, BUT, he has not solidified anything until after Fall camp is complete from what I hear.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:07 am

catsrback76 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
FTG247365 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

Exactly.
I think Coach has given a head nod to LaSane having the inside track, BUT, he has not solidified anything until after Fall camp is complete from what I hear.
It makes sense that he has a lead given how well he played down the stretch, but so much can change in fall camp it's definitely good to keep options open. I doubt any back carries the ball more than 10-12 times a game, no matter who the starter is. We have 3 or 4 guys that could probably start a lot of places. I'd say going with the hot hand will be the theme this year.

Darth Yoda

Post by Darth Yoda » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:05 am

I have exactly what Bozcat003 posted. Also, I think Lasane is going to have a very good year with 1000+ yards rushing. I believe he will play at a all conference level this year.

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:11 am

Darth Yoda wrote:I have exactly what Bozcat003 posted. Also, I think Lasane is going to have a very good year with 1000+ yards rushing. I believe he will play at a all conference level this year.

Agreed that LaSane could have a big year, but i just feel with Murray, Vander, Roper, and James we have so many guys that can carry the ball its tough to get a 1,000 yd rusher.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:19 am

Bozcat003 wrote:
Darth Yoda wrote:I have exactly what Bozcat003 posted. Also, I think Lasane is going to have a very good year with 1000+ yards rushing. I believe he will play at a all conference level this year.

Agreed that LaSane could have a big year, but i just feel with Murray, Vander, Roper, and James we have so many guys that can carry the ball its tough to get a 1,000 yd rusher.
True. Of everyone on the team, Murray is probably the most likely to get 1000.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:23 am

LaSane is a tough runner, and a phyisical specimen, just seems he has been injured quite a bit over his career. He's had to wait behind some guys, but now is his time - he's healthy, he should be the guy, but like others are saying we aren't a 1 RB team so his carries will be limited.

In order to get a 1,000 yard rusher, you need 90 yards a game in an 11 game season. If you average 5 yards a carry, you need about 18 carries a game. LaSane average 7.5 yards on 35 carries last year, but I expect him to be in the mid 5s next year. But if you continually rotate your backs, wear teams down, and have a lot of options at RB then 7 YPC isn't out of the realm of possibilities.

Murray averaged 6.2 YPC last year.

bgskyfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by bgskyfan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:33 am

I think there could be a significant shakeup in the starting lineup. Depending on how the new players coming in can adapt and learn the offense and defensive schemes. There are 5 or 6 that physically could compete...size wise/speed etc. I think at least defensively you could see Cole, Thomas, Travis Yates, Anderson get some reps depending on time in a game, field position, and play called during the game. Offensively I could see Vander getting a lot of touches......eye test wise he looks strong and quick. But as you all know...injuries are a part of the game....hoping we stay healthy but things could change in an instant to a line up if someone gets hurt. Praying for health of all the young men.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:37 am

Bozcat003 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:Well now that the roster "shakeup" may be complete, or at least there shouldn't be too much more additions or subtractions, and the roster being released this week, anyone want to take a stab at a starting lineup?

Expect a big season from Josh Hill, Kevin Kassis and Connor Sullivan in my opinion

#8 Jalen Cole, CB
#2 Tyrell Thomas, CB
#11 Willie Patterson, WR
#4 James Campbell, WR
#94 Travis Yates, DT
#15 Troy Anderson, LB
#14 Keaton Anderson, DB
#12 Tucker Rovig, QB
Looks like a pretty good list to me. We are thin at TE for the first time in a long time - Amos is likely the backup, and behind him is Clark Judisch who I assume is a walkon from Conrad. Big things were expected from Amos when he signed.

I agree with Herbert and Kassis, but I think Paige's job might be on the line this year. I think Kassis will be the playmaker, Herbert the possession guy, and whoever else is on the field doesn't necessarily need to be a deep threat as much as they need to be able to block downfield. I wouldn't be surprised to see Paige lose out to one of the bigger guys on the roster, like Jabarri Johnson, Keon Stephens or Karl Tucker, or even D'Agostino.

One thing I've noticed with Choate is he doesn't seem to really love the small scat-back type guys like Ash did. His brand of football is physical, which is why guys like Logan Jones and Jayshawn Gates may have fallen out of favor. I don't think we'll see too many more sub-175 lb guys anymore on offensive side of the field. At this level though you have a hard time finding bigger CBs.

Defensively I agree but not sure who will win the spot opposite Hill and Bignell. Chapman would be a solid choice but I'm guessing it will be McCarthy getting 1st team reps at the beginning of fall camp. Not sure he will hold onto it or not, should be a good competition to watch here.

CB is open also, we have two stud kids coming in but they need some time in the weigh room first in Choate's system. Cole is listed at 5'9 160 so he'll need to get up to at least 170 I'd say. May take him halfway through the season.

It'll be interesting to see how Khari Garcia fits into the mix. He's listed as a DB on the roster but I imagine he will stay at the S spot? He's a talented kid we just have to figure out how to best utilize his skills.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:44 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Bozcat003 wrote:

#8 Jalen Cole, CB
#2 Tyrell Thomas, CB
#11 Willie Patterson, WR
#4 James Campbell, WR
#94 Travis Yates, DT
#15 Troy Anderson, LB
#14 Keaton Anderson, DB
#12 Tucker Rovig, QB
Looks like a pretty good list to me. We are thin at TE for the first time in a long time - Amos is likely the backup, and behind him is Clark Judisch who I assume is a walkon from Conrad. Big things were expected from Amos when he signed.

I agree with Herbert and Kassis, but I think Paige's job might be on the line this year. I think Kassis will be the playmaker, Herbert the possession guy, and whoever else is on the field doesn't necessarily need to be a deep threat as much as they need to be able to block downfield. I wouldn't be surprised to see Paige lose out to one of the bigger guys on the roster, like Jabarri Johnson, Keon Stephens or Karl Tucker, or even D'Agostino.

One thing I've noticed with Choate is he doesn't seem to really love the small scat-back type guys like Ash did. His brand of football is physical, which is why guys like Logan Jones and Jayshawn Gates may have fallen out of favor. I don't think we'll see too many more sub-175 lb guys anymore on offensive side of the field. At this level though you have a hard time finding bigger CBs.

Defensively I agree but not sure who will win the spot opposite Hill and Bignell. Chapman would be a solid choice but I'm guessing it will be McCarthy getting 1st team reps at the beginning of fall camp. Not sure he will hold onto it or not, should be a good competition to watch here.

CB is open also, we have two stud kids coming in but they need some time in the weigh room first in Choate's system. Cole is listed at 5'9 160 so he'll need to get up to at least 170 I'd say. May take him halfway through the season.

It'll be interesting to see how Khari Garcia fits into the mix. He's listed as a DB on the roster but I imagine he will stay at the S spot? He's a talented kid we just have to figure out how to best utilize his skills.
Good breakdown. It'll be interesting to see what type of WR is used where Paige may or may not start. As you said, with the offense we are likely to run, the WRs have to be able to block down field. It'd be nice to find a guy to fill that spot that is big and has some speed. To me Karl Tucker really could fit that mold. From what I've seen from him he's not a burner, but has decent speed and he has a good frame to put on some weight. I've not seen Stephens enough to judge his speed but he and Johnson are intriguing.

As for Garcia I wonder if he will transition to CB. I know I'm not the only one that has been frustrated by him a lot, mostly because of his terrible angles. He diagnoses plays pretty well but always seems to be a step behind one he gets to the play because of those poor angles. CB might be a better fit for him, and good for depth.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:46 pm

Woody brandom leaving has probably been the biggest disappointment to me so far, he had a bright future at TE. I'm excited to see Sullivan at that position though

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:45 pm

If we run the offense right, we probably won't have a 1000 yard offense except for Murray, and I don't want him to be our 1000+ runner. It would make it hard for him to be on the field in 2018 and 2019.
I do expect to have 2 RB's over 500+ and 2 more over 800+.
That said, inj..res decide if we get that far and run into playoff.
I still expect several (not one or two) more additions to camp in the fall that will be immediate impact players and not from drop down FBS schools.
Yup, still going with 9-2.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:42 pm

I am going out on a limb and projecting Collins as a 3rd down player this year and not a starter. Situational pass rusher. Keep him fresh all game.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN