High School Football Talk

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: High School Football Talk

Post by lutecat » Tue May 16, 2017 3:49 am

VimSince03 wrote:
HowardRoss280 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:Billings Senior will also have to replace six seniors on the offensive line. Luke Poetzl's brother Garrison will be a junior next fall and should be one of the best two-way lineman in the state. Senior-to-be Ethan Saberhagen will step into one of the tackle spots as well. But they have some big shoes to fill.
For sure and one of the most talked about positions in football is QB, and theirs has some big shoes to fill. It will be interesting to see if their offense can produce the same as it has in the past without Dick.
Cade Torgerson, who played QB for Shepherd High School last year (his junior season), transferred to Billings Senior and will compete for the QB job right away. Not the same level as Dick but can run Murdock's offense.
That's really interesting. It smells like "we lost our qb and need to go recruit a new one because we don't like what we have locally". I'm not saying it is but you know people in billings are wondering......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

HowardRoss280
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HowardRoss280 » Tue May 16, 2017 10:05 am

lutecat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
HowardRoss280 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:Billings Senior will also have to replace six seniors on the offensive line. Luke Poetzl's brother Garrison will be a junior next fall and should be one of the best two-way lineman in the state. Senior-to-be Ethan Saberhagen will step into one of the tackle spots as well. But they have some big shoes to fill.
For sure and one of the most talked about positions in football is QB, and theirs has some big shoes to fill. It will be interesting to see if their offense can produce the same as it has in the past without Dick.
Cade Torgerson, who played QB for Shepherd High School last year (his junior season), transferred to Billings Senior and will compete for the QB job right away. Not the same level as Dick but can run Murdock's offense.
That's really interesting. It smells like "we lost our qb and need to go recruit a new one because we don't like what we have locally". I'm not saying it is but you know people in billings are wondering......

Very true. I do remember the playoff game of Senior vs. Capital and after the game was well out of reach Senior put in their back-up, and he threw a pick six to Seth Schneider. Now I'm not sure if that QB was a senior, or younger but just a observation. Plus he might have had just a bad throw, not saying he was a bad QB, but when you said it looks like they are recruiting because they don't like what they have locally, that game came to mind.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue May 16, 2017 10:09 am

HowardRoss280 wrote:
lutecat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
HowardRoss280 wrote:

Very true. I do remember the playoff game of Senior vs. Capital and after the game was well out of reach Senior put in their back-up, and he threw a pick six to Seth Schneider. Now I'm not sure if that QB was a senior, or younger but just a observation. Plus he might have had just a bad throw, not saying he was a bad QB, but when you said it looks like they are recruiting because they don't like what they have locally, that game came to mind.
That kid's name is Matthew Plasterer and he will be a junior this fall. Will compete but has a different skill set as he is a taller, pocket-passer type. Cade ran a run-heavy, zone-read scheme out of the shotgun in Shepherd.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

HowardRoss280
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HowardRoss280 » Tue May 16, 2017 11:24 am

VimSince03 wrote:
HowardRoss280 wrote:
lutecat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
HowardRoss280 wrote:

That kid's name is Matthew Plasterer and he will be a junior this fall. Will compete but has a different skill set as he is a taller, pocket-passer type. Cade ran a run-heavy, zone-read scheme out of the shotgun in Shepherd.
Yeah so that pick six in last years play-off game can easily be summed up to nerves, as a sophomore playing in a play-off game.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue May 16, 2017 11:30 am

HowardRoss280 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
HowardRoss280 wrote:
lutecat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
HowardRoss280 wrote:

Yeah so that pick six in last years play-off game can easily be summed up to nerves, as a sophomore playing in a play-off game.
He was in there in garbage time and Seth just made a nice play. He has a good arm.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

HowardRoss280
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HowardRoss280 » Tue May 16, 2017 11:34 am

VimSince03 wrote:
HowardRoss280 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
HowardRoss280 wrote:
lutecat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
HowardRoss280 wrote:

He was in there in garbage time and Seth just made a nice play. He has a good arm.
Yep like i said before, game was well out of reach and Senior had their J.V in, the pick didn't change the outcome of that game at all. And it might have just been a bad throw or bad read

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue May 16, 2017 4:30 pm

Last year I posted two kid's names: Braxton Reiten and Trevor Hoerner. This year it's plain. Logan Kolodejchuk and Gage Karlin. Columbia Falls won't skip a beat because Schweikert is a teacher and surrounds himself with others out of the same mold.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue May 16, 2017 5:05 pm

Cat Grad wrote:Last year I posted two kid's names: Braxton Reiten and Trevor Hoerner. This year it's plain. Logan Kolodejchuk and Gage Karlin. Columbia Falls won't skip a beat because Schweikert is a teacher and surrounds himself with others out of the same mold.
Columbia Falls loses the following:
- starting QB
- all five of their receivers
- three of their starting offensive lineman
- three of their starting defensive lineman
- three of their starting linebackers
- two of their starting corners

Columbia Falls returns:
- Logan Kolodejchuk (FB/DE who is one of the best players in the state...when healthy which has been a problem for him)
- Both of their starting safeties
- Both of their starting running backs
- Two of their starting offensive lineman (which includes Gage Karlin)

Overall, they have a talented sophomore class that will be junior's next fall and a few soon-to-be seniors with a season's worth of experience (all the way to the title game to be exact). But you can't just assume they are going to replicate the production that QB Dakota Bridwell produced with receivers Braxton Reiten, Sean Miller, and Trevor Hoerner. One thing they do have going for them is that the Northwest conference will not be that great next year with Polson being their main contender once again. And its also not like Columbia Falls is a powerhouse program in Class A. Like Whitefish in 2015, Columbia Falls had an extremely talented senior class that basically took them all the way to the title game in 2016. The Wildcats still have a lot to prove in 2017 if they want to be mentioned with programs like Dillon or Billings Central.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue May 16, 2017 6:31 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:Last year I posted two kid's names: Braxton Reiten and Trevor Hoerner. This year it's plain. Logan Kolodejchuk and Gage Karlin. Columbia Falls won't skip a beat because Schweikert is a teacher and surrounds himself with others out of the same mold.
- starting QB

Columbia Falls returns:
- Logan Kolodejchuk (FB/DE who is one of the best players in the state...when healthy which has been a problem for him)

Overall, they have a talented sophomore class that will be junior's next fall and a few soon-to-be seniors with a season's worth of experience (all the way to the title game to be exact). But you can't just assume they are going to replicate the production that QB Dakota Bridwell produced with receivers Braxton Reiten, Sean Miller, and Trevor Hoerner. One thing they do have going for them is that the Northwest conference will not be that great next year with Polson being their main contender once again. And its also not like Columbia Falls is a powerhouse program in Class A. Like Whitefish in 2015, Columbia Falls had an extremely talented senior class that basically took them all the way to the title game in 2016. The Wildcats still have a lot to prove in 2017 if they want to be mentioned with programs like Dillon or Billings Central.
I suppose you're correct. But:

KJ Arends
Colton McPhee
Seth Gossett
Logan Kolodejchuk
Austin Green
Ben Windaur
Lane Sapa
Parker Greene
Logan Bechtel
Auguste Emond
Kaeden Clewien
Drew Morgan (I think he'll be better than Ty was for C Falls)
Christian Nelson
Tanner Gove (Dakota Bridwell's cousin and just a bit better athlete)
Hayden Falkner
Jacob Beich
Zach Pletcher
and finally Gage Karlin

Lots of playtime not just in the third and fourth quarters but part of the rotation. Really good eighth grade class and froshmores.

Where did Braxton Reiten come from? He hardly played two years ago because of injuries.

As I mentioned, the coaching staff is great and this year's senior class taught the younger kids what summer workouts are all about. As soon as track is over, these kids are dedicating themselves to the weight room, summer camps and conditioning to erase the negative effects of track. But, you're probably correct.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue May 16, 2017 6:40 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
- starting QB

Columbia Falls returns:

KJ Arends
Colton McPhee
Seth Gossett
Logan Kolodejchuk
Austin Green
Ben Windaur
Lane Sapa
Parker Greene
Logan Bechtel
Auguste Emond
Kaeden Clewien
Christian Nelson
Hayden Falkner
Jacob Beich
Zach Pletcher
and finally Gage Karlin

Lots of playtime not just in the third and fourth quarters but part of the rotation. Really good eighth grade class and froshmores.

Where did Braxton Reiten come from? He hardly played two years ago because of injuries.

As I mentioned, the coaching staff is great and this year's senior class taught the younger kids what summer workouts are all about. As soon as track is over, these kids are dedicating themselves to the weight room, summer camps and conditioning to erase the negative effects of track. But, you're probably correct.
Hey if they pump out five straight years of competitive teams, you've got yourself a program. Just hope they prove it next year. Like I said, it will be hard to replicate their offensive production from 2016.

HowardRoss280
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HowardRoss280 » Tue May 16, 2017 7:17 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
- starting QB

Columbia Falls returns:

KJ Arends
Colton McPhee
Seth Gossett
Logan Kolodejchuk
Austin Green
Ben Windaur
Lane Sapa
Parker Greene
Logan Bechtel
Auguste Emond
Kaeden Clewien
Christian Nelson
Hayden Falkner
Jacob Beich
Zach Pletcher
and finally Gage Karlin

Yep and this was the type of thing I was referring to with senior, if the players pass down a tradition of hard work, winning, and that attitude that nothing can stop them if they put the work in, then that is where a program goes from good to great.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue May 16, 2017 7:28 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
- starting QB

Columbia Falls returns:

KJ Arends
Colton McPhee
Seth Gossett
Logan Kolodejchuk
Austin Green
Ben Windaur
Lane Sapa
Parker Greene
Logan Bechtel
Auguste Emond
Kaeden Clewien
Christian Nelson
Hayden Falkner
Jacob Beich
Zach Pletcher
and finally Gage Karlin

Hey if they pump out five straight years of competitive teams, you've got yourself a program. Just hope they prove it next year. Like I said, it will be hard to replicate their offensive production from 2016.
The year before Schweikert was hired, there were 18 kids on the team the last game of the year. He now has over 100 working out and playing each year. I enjoy listening to him on the sideline asking kids "Who hasn't gotten to play a lot tonight?"

Yes, he has a few kids who'll play both ways for him plus virtually every special team but, by and large, he gets a lot of kids significant play time. He has managed to involve an awful lot of kids in this game and to me, that's pretty special. In addition to Logan and Gage returning next year, we'll see a few surprises. I love watching the Windaur kid tackle. Same way with the Gove kid. The whole team is fundamentally sound and that's teaching. They've been taught the fundamentals and they all attend a lot of camps in the summer. I'm excited to see which one is the next Braxton Reiten who comes out of no where to set all the records he set his senior year. Morgan? Great work ethic and genes but he's only going to be a junior.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue May 16, 2017 7:45 pm

Most importantly. Do they get workouts done before 7a.m.?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue May 16, 2017 8:17 pm

Hawks86 wrote:Most importantly. Do they get workouts done before 7a.m.?
I will humor you. And yes, you'd better dang well believe it. Are they as dedicated as a Zach Zenner or Tom Brady? Time will tell. Several of them will probably go to work for the government in some capacity so they can work 8:00 to 5:00 but we need clerks too.

In fact, there were a few waiting on the coaches to open the weight room during the summer. Now, contrast the numbers Schweikert has out with a few AA schools that couldn't even field a team. Anyway...like Mother Teresa said.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue May 16, 2017 8:40 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
I will humor you. And yes, you'd better dang well believe it. Are they as dedicated as a Zach Zenner or Tom Brady? Time will tell. Several of them will probably go to work for the government in some capacity so they can work 8:00 to 5:00 but we need clerks too.

In fact, there were a few waiting on the coaches to open the weight room during the summer. Now, contrast the numbers Schweikert has out with a few AA schools that couldn't even field a team. Anyway...like Mother Teresa said.
[Cough] Missoula Hellgate [Cough]

Though I fully believe Coach Morris can turn that program around.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue May 16, 2017 9:05 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

Hellgate? To me getting kids actively involved in any and all learning experiences is imperative to a worthwhile learning environment. Football is all to often treated as an extension of the classroom when in fact it is just the opposite. Your best teachers actively engage each and every member of their classroom and I sure wish a little of Schweikert's ability would rub off on several of the classroom instructors in C Falls. More than a few need assistance in making their decision to retire but that's another aspect best reserved for another forum but suffice it to say Schweikert has had an incredible affect on the C Falls community. His assistants are all great too, especially Houle and Heinz. I've enjoyed watching the morphing of the football in this town.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue May 16, 2017 9:54 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

Hellgate? To me getting kids actively involved in any and all learning experiences is imperative to a worthwhile learning environment. Football is all to often treated as an extension of the classroom when in fact it is just the opposite. Your best teachers actively engage each and every member of their classroom and I sure wish a little of Schweikert's ability would rub off on several of the classroom instructors in C Falls. More than a few need assistance in making their decision to retire but that's another aspect best reserved for another forum but suffice it to say Schweikert has had an incredible affect on the C Falls community. His assistants are all great too, especially Houle and Heinz. I've enjoyed watching the morphing of the football in this town.
My Hellgate reference was to this quote:
Now, contrast the numbers Schweikert has out with a few AA schools that couldn't even field a team.
But yeah the great coaches that have built programs in this state, at all levels, have the innate ability to build a culture that not only the student-athletes follow, but also the community.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue May 16, 2017 10:08 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

Now, contrast the numbers Schweikert has out with a few AA schools that couldn't even field a team.
But yeah the great coaches that have built programs in this state, at all levels, have the innate ability to build a culture that not only the student-athletes follow, but also the community.
You're right. I can't remember the name of the football coach in Fort Benton about 2002 (or about then when I returned to Montana) who went into administration that kind of made me sad to see him make that decision. He reminded me of Larry Campbell in Lincolnton, Georgia or Bill Napier in Murray County Georgia and ultimately Adairsville, Georgia. I really hate to see good football coaches leave the sidelines and enter a cubicle just to placate mad momma's and play politics in a community. A good football program does so much for a community in so many worthwhile ways. Anyway, I think C Falls will surprise a lot of people for the next few years.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue May 16, 2017 10:08 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

You're right. I can't remember the name of the football coach in Fort Benton about 2002 (or about then when I returned to Montana) who went into administration that kind of made me sad to see him make that decision. He reminded me of Larry Campbell in Lincolnton, Georgia or Bill Napier in Murray County Georgia and ultimately Adairsville, Georgia. I really hate to see good football coaches leave the sidelines and enter a cubicle just to placate mad momma's and play politics in a community. A good football program does so much for a community in so many worthwhile ways. Anyway, I think C Falls will surprise a lot of people for the next few years.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue May 16, 2017 10:15 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

Kevin Smith.