Bruggman over Murray?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Re: Bruggman over Murray?

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:36 am

iaafan wrote:I'm not sure why anyone thinks a true freshman or transfer QB is going to come in and start at QB. Especially if it's the season-opener. I don't recall MSU ever having a true freshman QB start the season opener in the recent past. Lulay and Murray both started as true freshmen, but not until the season was a few games in. So historically it's going to be tough. I doubt MSU is bringing in a transfer QB, so that's not likely either. For a true frosh to start he would need to leap frog both Murray and Bruggman. In 2002, Lulay was the No. 2 coming out of fall camp and Tyler Thomas struggled both on and off (late to pre-game meal) the field. In 2016, Murray was the No. 2 coming out of fall camp and Bruggman struggled on the field. Both were just one spot away from the starter position.

The other problem is that both Murray and Bruggman have played well this spring. So they'll be difficult to unseat as the No. 1 and No. 2 QB. They both have thousands of reps working with this team. Any true frosh QBs won't be coming to MSU to work with the coaches until June at the earliest. When they get here they will have to split time with the 3 QBs already on campus. Murray went through spring completing 15 of 24 passes for 146 yards and 3 TDs against no interceptions (including a sterling 10-13-0, 107, 2 TD performance (196.8 passer rating) on Saturday), and ran for 94 yards on 12 carries with 1 TD. Bruggman was 11 of 21 for 234 yards and 2 TDs against no interceptions.

As for Bruggman over Murray, there's a chance, but the problem for that happening is Murray has a lot more room to improve and he's already ahead.
Your last sentence sums that up for me as well. Murray will be the starter.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:59 am

I hope Rovig redshirts, like DM did. He could be a four-year starter like DM, if he could beat out a Junior Murray. DM won the job over a guy who started many games, including three for Oregon.

If he doesn't beat out Murray, we'd have quite the back-up for two years before he starts for two years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:15 am

Before spring ball I thought Rovig might have a chance at starting. After spring I think he red shirts. He'll still get a chance in the fall, but he'll have to blow everybody away and be damn near perfect.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:23 am

Guys.

Murray is starting, Bruuggman is the backup and Rovig is red shirting. Don't over complicate things.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:41 am

100+ days until practice starts. 131 days until WSU. That's a long time to not complicate things. 8)

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:12 am

iaafan wrote:I'm not sure why anyone thinks a true freshman or transfer QB is going to come in and start at QB. Especially if it's the season-opener. I don't recall MSU ever having a true freshman QB start the season opener in the recent past. Lulay and Murray both started as true freshmen, but not until the season was a few games in. So historically it's going to be tough. I doubt MSU is bringing in a transfer QB, so that's not likely either. For a true frosh to start he would need to leap frog both Murray and Bruggman. In 2002, Lulay was the No. 2 coming out of fall camp and Tyler Thomas struggled both on and off (late to pre-game meal) the field. In 2016, Murray was the No. 2 coming out of fall camp and Bruggman struggled on the field. Both were just one spot away from the starter position.

The other problem is that both Murray and Bruggman have played well this spring. So they'll be difficult to unseat as the No. 1 and No. 2 QB. They both have thousands of reps working with this team. Any true frosh QBs won't be coming to MSU to work with the coaches until June at the earliest. When they get here they will have to split time with the 3 QBs already on campus. Murray went through spring completing 15 of 24 passes for 146 yards and 3 TDs against no interceptions (including a sterling 10-13-0, 107, 2 TD performance (196.8 passer rating) on Saturday), and ran for 94 yards on 12 carries with 1 TD. Bruggman was 11 of 21 for 234 yards and 2 TDs against no interceptions.

As for Bruggman over Murray, there's a chance, but the problem for that happening is Murray has a lot more room to improve and he's already ahead.
Great post, I agree, Murray will be the starter next fall.

Walk-on
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Walk-on » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:52 am

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:

Your last sentence sums that up for me as well. Murray will be the starter.
Agreed. I just hope Bruggman can also improve in the event he needs to play. He certainly looks the part. He needs to press the issue.

Armchair QB and Monday Morning Extraordinaire

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:26 pm

Bruggman is an enigma. Just looking at him, he looks the part. He has the tools. He has a rocket arm, good demeanor, accuracy. There is a reason he was a sought after recruit.

He just seems to be one of those practice guys. Blows you away in practice, but just can't put it together in a game.

I feel for the kid, but at the same time he's had plenty of opportunities to win a starting job.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Tue May 02, 2017 1:46 pm

Moot point, Bruggman is leaving the program. https://twitter.com/msubobcats/status/859493763030409216

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue May 02, 2017 2:01 pm

RobertCats wrote:Moot point, Bruggman is leaving the program. https://twitter.com/msubobcats/status/859493763030409216

Well, I see that he graduated, so no big surprise I guess. Too bad, I would have liked to have had him as at the least the back-up QB. One and done seems to be the pattern though.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Tue May 02, 2017 2:11 pm

AFCAT wrote:
RobertCats wrote:Moot point, Bruggman is leaving the program. https://twitter.com/msubobcats/status/859493763030409216

Well, I see that he graduated, so no big surprise I guess. Too bad, I would have liked to have had him as at the least the back-up QB. One and done seems to be the pattern though.
Good luck to Mr. Bruggman. However, we have a group of young quarterbacks that need to develop, and one or more of them ought to be the backup QB. While Bruggman might have been the best QB after Murray, he might not have been the best option to be the backup, even if he were to stay.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue May 02, 2017 2:24 pm

Rich K wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

Good luck to Mr. Bruggman. However, we have a group of young quarterbacks that need to develop, and one or more of them ought to be the backup QB. While Bruggman might have been the best QB after Murray, he might not have been the best option to be the backup, even if he were to stay.
Actually, the battle to be the backup will be fun to watch this fall.

The players:

Brady McChesney (RSo.) - 5'11", 170 lbs. - Kalispell Glacier (Montana)

The former AA Offensive Player of the Year has already had three QB coaches going into his third year at MSU. To me, Brady has always been one of those kids that I thought might get cut the past two springs. But as of right now, he is our #2 QB on the depth chart and he hasn't looked over-matched.

Kamden Brown
(RFr.) - 6'2", 190 lbs. - Charter Oak (California)

Battled with McChesney this spring and to me Brady beat him out. Kamden was a little more inconsistent but he was coming back from surgery due to an injury suffered in fall camp in 2016. Anyway, the upside is still there and he is a kid that looks the part.

Tucker Rovig (Incoming Freshman) - 6'5", 210 lbs. - Mountain View (Idaho)

Tucker is a highly-touted QB and player in the 2017 recruiting class. He now has one less obstacle to overcome to earn the #2 spot on the depth chart (yes guys...Murray is starting next year so Rovig will compete for #2). McChesney and Brown have system experience with Armstrong so they have the advantage there. However, Tucker comes from a system where he was asked to do a lot of the same things Armstrong will ask him to do. Tucker is also a pretty polished QB for an incoming freshman.

Callahan O'Reilly
(Incoming Freshman) - 6'3", 205 lbs. - Bozeman (Montana)

I fully expect Callahan to redshirt but you never know with these kids. Callahan makes plays and is a fierce competitor. I still think he needs more development as a QB before he is ready to compete for spots.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Tue May 02, 2017 2:32 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Rich K wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

Actually, the battle to be the backup will be fun to watch this fall.

The players:

Brady McChesney (RSo.) - 5'11", 170 lbs. - Kalispell Glacier (Montana)

The former AA Offensive Player of the Year has already had three QB coaches going into his third year at MSU. To me, Brady has always been one of those kids that I thought might get cut the past two springs. But as of right now, he is our #2 QB on the depth chart and he hasn't looked over-matched.

Kamden Brown
(RFr.) - 6'2", 190 lbs. - Charter Oak (California)

Battled with McChesney this spring and to me Brady beat him out. Kamden was a little more inconsistent but he was coming back from surgery due to an injury suffered in fall camp in 2016. Anyway, the upside is still there and he is a kid that looks the part.

Tucker Rovig (Incoming Freshman) - 6'5", 210 lbs. - Mountain View (Idaho)

Tucker is a highly-touted QB and player in the 2017 recruiting class. He now has one less obstacle to overcome to earn the #2 spot on the depth chart (yes guys...Murray is starting next year so Rovig will compete for #2). McChesney and Brown have system experience with Armstrong so they have the advantage there. However, Tucker comes from a system where he was asked to do a lot of the same things Armstrong will ask him to do. Tucker is also a pretty polished QB for an incoming freshman.

Callahan O'Reilly
(Incoming Freshman) - 6'3", 205 lbs. - Bozeman (Montana)

I fully expect Callahan to redshirt but you never know with these kids. Callahan makes plays and is a fierce competitor. I still think he needs more development as a QB before he is ready to compete for spots.
I think this can be looked at in two ways. If, God forbid, Murray gets hurt this year we were in a lot better shape with TB at #2 than any other QB on the roster IMO. So in regards to the 2017 season this is a downgrade. But in terms of developing young quarterbacks and setting us up for future success in 2018 and beyond this may actually be a good thing. Ideally, Murray stays healthy and we are able to redshirt both Callahan and Rovig and McChesney/Brown continue to develop as QB depth.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue May 02, 2017 2:34 pm

Wouldn't be surprised if we bring in another transfer for depth.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue May 02, 2017 2:38 pm

Bruggman, Harris among departures from MSU football
http://skylinesportsmt.com/bruggman-har ... -football/

msucatzfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by msucatzfan » Tue May 02, 2017 3:33 pm

I would love to see Rovig redshirted, however, depth is going to be a serious concern this year at QB. With a skinny run first quarterback, we are always one play away from needing the backup. It will be very interesting to see how the QB depth chart plays out.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue May 02, 2017 3:41 pm

VimSince03 wrote:Wouldn't be surprised if we bring in another transfer for depth.

Me neither. I think it's almost imperative now. I'd rather see Rovig and O'Reilly redshirted.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue May 02, 2017 5:39 pm

Tootell & Tucker - Bruggman's departure, Big Sky stars to the NFL
http://skylinesportsmt.com/tt-may-2/

joe_montana_state
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by joe_montana_state » Tue May 02, 2017 7:21 pm

VimSince03 wrote:Wouldn't be surprised if we bring in another transfer for depth.
Who's gonna want that job? We have an established starter with a stud hopefully coming in.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue May 02, 2017 7:40 pm

joe_montana_state wrote:
Who's gonna want that job? We have an established starter with a stud hopefully coming in.

You never know. Blake Kemp went to NAU from East Carolina last year knowing he wouldn't be the starter. Then Cookus went down and Kemp had to lead the team. Kemp only played one year at NAU but he turned out to be an important insurance policy for them.