Bruggman over Murray?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Bruggman over Murray?

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:41 pm

This will likely get me labeled a heretic...but am I the only one who thought Bruggman looked better than Murray today?

I was not a Bruggs supporter last year...but Murray was tossing meatballs today. Brugg's arm looked MUCH better. Has he improved, or is the scrimmage just not a good indicator? I think we have to go into the season with Murray...but are we feeling good about Bruggman's progress?

Discuss...

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: Bruggman over Murray?

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:52 pm

No.
Bruggman had some nice throws today, especially the deep one to Kassis. But Murray looked good throwing the ball as well. Not sure what you're talking about, with the meatballs comment. He threw 2 TDs and looked solid. And if they had to tackle QBs today, Murray might've also rushed for 2 or 3 more TDs. As long as he's got the ball security problems figured out, he's an electric player who needs to be on the field.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

CatsNoMatterWhat

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:01 pm

I just thought he was lobbing those things in there...I'd like to see some more snap to his throws. (Worth noting...what I'd like to see isn't in any way a priority...so I'm just sharing opinions).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:08 am

Back up off that pipe. You good and high as sh-t.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:00 am

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:This will likely get me labeled a heretic...but am I the only one who thought Bruggman looked better than Murray today?

I was not a Bruggs supporter last year...but Murray was tossing meatballs today. Brugg's arm looked MUCH better. Has he improved, or is the scrimmage just not a good indicator? I think we have to go into the season with Murray...but are we feeling good about Bruggman's progress?

Discuss...
No. Bruggman no doubt has a better arm and makes some tremendous throws. He also makes too many "wtf was that?!?" Type of plays.

Bruggman had the starting job given to him on a silver platter and he pissed it away...multiple times. Murray is the starter.

bobcatfan123
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan123 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:57 am

I was talking to a friend about our qb situation today. Was wondering if running a triple option set would best utilize our personnel. Bruggman, murray, and LaSane in the backfield would be tough to defend. I'm not a football expert, so was wondering what more knowledgeable posters thought.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:00 am

bobcatfan123 wrote:I was talking to a friend about our qb situation today. Was wondering if running a triple option set would best utilize our personnel. Bruggman, murray, and LaSane in the backfield would be tough to defend. I'm not a football expert, so was wondering what more knowledgeable posters thought.
While it sounds good, we aren't built for a triple option offense. Would love to see it run as a couple of plays, or as a situational play, but don't think bruggerman adds that much. I think Murray at qb and another player tossing the pass may work better.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

CatsNoMatterWhat

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:04 am

PHAT CAT wrote:Back up off that pipe. You good and high as sh-t.
Nice

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:06 am

It's a solid no from me.

Although I would take Bruggman over Reese Philips.

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:12 am

Montanabob wrote:
bobcatfan123 wrote:I was talking to a friend about our qb situation today. Was wondering if running a triple option set would best utilize our personnel. Bruggman, murray, and LaSane in the backfield would be tough to defend. I'm not a football expert, so was wondering what more knowledgeable posters thought.
While it sounds good, we aren't built for a triple option offense. Would love to see it run as a couple of plays, or as a situational play, but don't think bruggerman adds that much. I think Murray at qb and another player tossing the pass may work better.
Put in Kassis instead of Bruggman and now you'd really have a backfield that would be hard to defend. Bruggman will do fine as our backup QB this year.

I hope.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:47 am

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:I just thought he was lobbing those things in there...I'd like to see some more snap to his throws. (Worth noting...what I'd like to see isn't in any way a priority...so I'm just sharing opinions).

Both his TD passes were high-velocity throws. Here's a quote from Choate on his 2nd TD:
This time, he fired a strike toward the near pylon that hit Kassis in stride for a 21-yard touchdown, the duo’s second of the day.

“They were playing Cover 2 and the corner was sagging,” head coach Jeff Choate remarked. “If it doesn’t have the right velocity and trajectory on it, it’s a dangerous throw, but you could see his maturity and see his growth today.”

CatsNoMatterWhat

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:49 am

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Put in Kassis instead of Bruggman and now you'd really have a backfield that would be hard to defend. Bruggman will do fine as our backup QB this year.

I hope.
Fair enough. Well clearly I'm worrying about something that isn't a problem. On to Frisco! [emoji41]

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:59 am

Which guy is harder to prepare for on defense? I think that answers the question right there. Murray just needs to be smart and have better ball security like he did at the end of last year.

zootowncat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by zootowncat » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:40 pm

Bruggman is capable at throwing a good ball and managing the offense, but didn't show it near consistently enough last year. There is no question Murray is the starter, Bruggs is backup.

Defenses have to prepare 100% different for Murray, case and point against UM. If Bruggman had played, we would not have had as much success pounding the rock, but since they had a guy dedicated to account for Murray as well, we were able to run different looks at them and run through them. If/when Murray gets the passing down which looking better every scrimmage, we will be a nightmare to plan for for opposing defenses.

FTG

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:03 pm

Murray's ability to run opens up both the run and pass game. When he scrambles, if you are a CB or safety what do you do? If you come up fast you leave the receiver, if you lay back he gains 10 or 15 on the ground if you are lucky enough to tackle him in the open field!

2024 Resume dominance

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:03 pm

zootowncat wrote: If/when Murray gets the passing down which looking better every scrimmage, we will be a nightmare to plan for for opposing defenses.
MSU has 8-9 returning starters on defense, granted not all played yesterday, and ranked no. 2 in scoring defense and no. 3 in total defense in the BSC. The offense was a bit of a nightmare for them yesterday.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

msuhunter
Member # Retired

Post by msuhunter » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:29 pm

I don't think the starting QB for 2017 has arrived on campus yet .... :coffee:

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:36 pm

Murray will be the starter.

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:58 pm

msuhunter wrote:I don't think the starting QB for 2017 has arrived on campus yet .... :coffee:
I'll bet you the starting quarterback was there Saturday at the Sonny Holland Spring game.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:17 am

I'm not sure why anyone thinks a true freshman or transfer QB is going to come in and start at QB. Especially if it's the season-opener. I don't recall MSU ever having a true freshman QB start the season opener in the recent past. Lulay and Murray both started as true freshmen, but not until the season was a few games in. So historically it's going to be tough. I doubt MSU is bringing in a transfer QB, so that's not likely either. For a true frosh to start he would need to leap frog both Murray and Bruggman. In 2002, Lulay was the No. 2 coming out of fall camp and Tyler Thomas struggled both on and off (late to pre-game meal) the field. In 2016, Murray was the No. 2 coming out of fall camp and Bruggman struggled on the field. Both were just one spot away from the starter position.

The other problem is that both Murray and Bruggman have played well this spring. So they'll be difficult to unseat as the No. 1 and No. 2 QB. They both have thousands of reps working with this team. Any true frosh QBs won't be coming to MSU to work with the coaches until June at the earliest. When they get here they will have to split time with the 3 QBs already on campus. Murray went through spring completing 15 of 24 passes for 146 yards and 3 TDs against no interceptions (including a sterling 10-13-0, 107, 2 TD performance (196.8 passer rating) on Saturday), and ran for 94 yards on 12 carries with 1 TD. Bruggman was 11 of 21 for 234 yards and 2 TDs against no interceptions.

As for Bruggman over Murray, there's a chance, but the problem for that happening is Murray has a lot more room to improve and he's already ahead.