Sonny Holland spring game

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Re: Sonny Holland spring game

Post by Bozcat003 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:30 pm

91catAlum wrote:Who is #42, is that the other McCarthy brother? I noticed him a few times but the program didn't have #42.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I believe Hadley was wearing 42 yesterday

McCarthy's are #11 and #32

RoCatFan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by RoCatFan » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:11 am

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:29 am

Bozcat003 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:Who is #42, is that the other McCarthy brother? I noticed him a few times but the program didn't have #42.

You mean Just for Saturday? Normally Hadley wears 48, and #42 isn't listed online nor was it in the program Saturday.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:42 am

91catAlum wrote:
Bozcat003 wrote:

You mean Just for Saturday? Normally Hadley wears 48, and #42 isn't listed online nor was it in the program Saturday.
He wore #42 on Saturday...so I'm assuming he is switching to that number. I basically live under the assumption that our roster is never updated and/or correct. ](*,)

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:14 am

The first day of fall ball they should have a live weigh in like the UFC. :lol:

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Walk-on
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Walk-on » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:22 am

I thought Anthony Pegues looked really good, even though many of his carries were well defended. A lot of power and quickness in a small package.

Another guy I noticed was Jarrod Asche. He walked right by me as he entered the stadium. He walked on at 215 lbs and 6'8". Coach Choate said that when he was done with basketball and track, and on the redshirt-Frosh- O-line diet, he could possibly get huge. I 'm sure he is at least 50 lbs heavier and wears it well. I'm not sure if that will translate into immediate contribution, but it shows his determination. And proof of a good dietary program. I thought I might have noticed him at center? If not, who else plays center?

Armchair QB and Monday Morning Extraordinaire

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:05 pm

Walk-on wrote:I thought Anthony Pegues looked really good, even though many of his carries were well defended. A lot of power and quickness in a small package.

Another guy I noticed was Jarrod Asche. He walked right by me as he entered the stadium. He walked on at 215 lbs and 6'8". Coach Choate said that when he was done with basketball and track, and on the redshirt-Frosh- O-line diet, he could possibly get huge. I 'm sure he is at least 50 lbs heavier and wears it well. I'm not sure if that will translate into immediate contribution, but it shows his determination. And proof of a good dietary program. I thought I might have noticed him at center? If not, who else plays center?
Denver Krone, a true freshman PWO, got most of the #2 reps at center this spring. Denver is a product of Choteau, MT. And speaking on Asche, remember that he was a standout tennis player in high school which means he has good feet. Now, does he have the tenacity to be a college level offensive tackle? That is yet to be determined but he is putting himself in a good position with his weight gain.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:21 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Walk-on wrote:I thought Anthony Pegues looked really good, even though many of his carries were well defended. A lot of power and quickness in a small package.

Denver is a product of Choteau
Ha, reminds me of Forest Gump.
"There was Dallas, from Phoenix... Cleveland was from Detroit... And Tex..."

desmond1957
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by desmond1957 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:55 pm

To me the guy who really stood out on offense Saturday was Kevin Kassis, great hands, great acceleration and moves after the catch and speed to turn short passes into big gains. He really runs hard and is not afraid of contact. Expect some big games out of him this fall.

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:02 pm

I watched the 2nd half on SWX and Chris Byers needs to get his eyes checked. He kept saying the QB was Bruggman when in fact it #14 and #16. How hard is it to really look through their red jerseys and see the number? That drove me nuts. I thought he was a decent play by play guy but I think he is losing it... :-k

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

catscat

Post by catscat » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:08 pm

WeedKillinCat wrote:I watched the 2nd half on SWX and Chris Byers needs to get his eyes checked. He kept saying the QB was Bruggman when in fact it #14 and #16. How hard is it to really look through their red jerseys and see the number? That drove me nuts. I thought he was a decent play by play guy but I think he is losing it... :-k
Yeah, I think he gave Bruggman credit for the int when it was actually Brown that threw it. There really wasn't much "play by play" - at least not in my mind. Instead, a whole lot of yakking about this or that or nothing at all. I think he'll do better when he calls real games.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

Walk-on

Post by Walk-on » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:16 pm

VimSince03 wrote:

Denver Krone, a true freshman PWO, got most of the #2 reps at center this spring. Denver is a product of Choteau, MT. And speaking on Asche, remember that he was a standout tennis player in high school which means he has good feet. Now, does he have the tenacity to be a college level offensive tackle? That is yet to be determined but he is putting himself in a good position with his weight gain.
Thanks Vim03. I was at the scrimmage and watched the replay on SWX yesterday. I couldn't manage to make out the number. Knew it was one of the two. Krone has a long way to go as far as his snapping consistency. Lots of snaps at ankle level for the poor QB. Hopefully Neal got better about this. At least I didn't notice it Saturday. Wish I had the scrimmage recorded.
Back to Ashe. I think this guy is a real steal for this recruiting class. I hear he makes good grades, and fits in with the team. He should be a great scout guy if not immediately competitive. Many fans don't realize how important these extra players are to success of the team. A walk-on of this caliber is special. Hopefully he can sick around, or be that next walk-on All Big Sky, or somewhere in between. Obviously Krone is getting his chances too. Another bargain in this class.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:54 pm

catscat wrote:
WeedKillinCat wrote:I watched the 2nd half on SWX and Chris Byers needs to get his eyes checked. He kept saying the QB was Bruggman when in fact it #14 and #16. How hard is it to really look through their red jerseys and see the number? That drove me nuts. I thought he was a decent play by play guy but I think he is losing it... :-k
Yeah, I think he gave Bruggman credit for the int when it was actually Brown that threw it. There really wasn't much "play by play" - at least not in my mind. Instead, a whole lot of yakking about this or that or nothing at all. I think he'll do better when he calls real games.
Byers needs a new job in general. He's not good on gameday either in my opinion. I like listening to him almost as much as I like listening to Grady Bennett. We need a new TV team in general for SWX. Glad 5 of our games are on Root. Those guys aren't great, but better than our local dudes.

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:59 pm

desmond1957 wrote:To me the guy who really stood out on offense Saturday was Kevin Kassis, great hands, great acceleration and moves after the catch and speed to turn short passes into big gains. He really runs hard and is not afraid of contact. Expect some big games out of him this fall.
Kassis is going to become an All League-face of our program kind of guy.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

Walk-on

Post by Walk-on » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:48 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
catscat wrote:
Byers needs a new job in general. He's not good on gameday either in my opinion. I like listening to him almost as much as I like listening to Grady Bennett. We need a new TV team in general for SWX. Glad 5 of our games are on Root. Those guys aren't great, but better than our local dudes.
He's sports manager, and they didn't even announce that they were carrying last seasons Idaho game. The year before, or maybe the year before that, a scheduled game wasn't televised. They provided no explanation, until it was drug out of them via Facebook. I like Chris, but yeah, seems he's never does homework before calling our games. Sometimes it's better to get new blood. I prefer to listen to Bobcat radio, even while watching the game. Our man Jay Sanderson (and company) are way better than ROOT or SWX.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:59 pm

Walk-on wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
catscat wrote:
He's sports manager, and they didn't even announce that they were carrying last seasons Idaho game. The year before, or maybe the year before that, a scheduled game wasn't televised. They provided no explanation, until it was drug out of them via Facebook. I like Chris, but yeah, seems he's never does homework before calling our games. Sometimes it's better to get new blood. I prefer to listen to Bobcat radio, even while watching the game. Our man Jay Sanderson (and company) are way better than ROOT or SWX.
Root does a nice HQ production, but yeah, their announcers haven't a clue most of the time.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:48 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Walk-on wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
catscat wrote:
Root does a nice HQ production, but yeah, their announcers haven't a clue most of the time.
Definitely agree about Jay and the radio team, and yes Jason Stiles from Root pretending to know the Big Sky is comical. But the Root team sounds better than our local guys and at least do a bit of homework for each game. I know it sounds weird but I can't handle the way Callahan , who teams with Chris, says "Montunna" State :lol:

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:51 pm

I have to agree that Sanderson is awesome. I even have one of his final calls from the '16 Cat-griz game as the ringtone on my phone

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:24 am

I'm just glad and greatful the away games are televised. You could put two goats in the booth for commentators and I would still watch it and be happy.

If your left, you aren’t right.

catscat

Post by catscat » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:41 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:I'm just glad and greatful the away games are televised. You could put two goats in the booth for commentators and I would still watch it and be happy.
Same here. My TV does have a volume control if the commentators get too bad. I record the games too, so if I want to here what they said, I can always back up and check it out. I do enjoy it when they call the wrong player because I know most of ours by number and I can feel superior when I know the player and they don't. Forget which game it was when Byers called the wrong player numerous times until Callahan finally said, "Uhhh, I think that's really ______."

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.