1984 Rhode Island vs. Montana State football game

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

1984 Rhode Island vs. Montana State football game

Post by AFCAT » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:01 pm

I'm not sure how many people would be interested in this.

I was digging through some boxes and I found this classic 1984 Montana State vs. Rhode Island football game. I know there is a video on Youtube with the last few plays of the game, but this is the entire game. The tape is over 30 years old, so the video quality isn’t the greatest at times, but the audio is fine. Due to the length of the game, I broke the video up into both halves. This is one of the most significant and exciting football games in Cat history.

I was sitting in the East grandstands at this game and remember how crazy and loud it was at the end.

First half
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCqVFMl64mE

Second half (last 8 minutes are awesome!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2YeQXQq-ns

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: 1984 Rhode Island vs. Montana State football game

Post by PHAT CAT » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:29 am

Thanks. Was a great game. Miss being 21.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:01 am

Not sure if they still have it, but NCAA website had the DVD of that game for sale several years ago. I bought one and it's good.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Catfanatic84

Post by Catfanatic84 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:11 am

Thanks for posting...I forgot how big the crowd was....anyone know what the attendance was that day? It looks packed.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:59 pm

Catfanatic84 wrote:Thanks for posting...I forgot how big the crowd was....anyone know what the attendance was that day? It looks packed.

12,000 plus. They mention the attendance in the video.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:32 pm

This is wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:47 pm

AFCAT, I'm curious. How did you convert this tape to digital format?

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:07 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:AFCAT, I'm curious. How did you convert this tape to digital format?
Well, a bit of a long story. I purchased a Vidbox video converter on Amazon for my Mac for around $50. You can get a Vidbox converter for a PC too or one that works with a MAC and PC for around $60. I then went and dug out an old VCR that I had in my storage unit. Of course, my old VCR was part of a TV/VCR combo and didn't have any output connections for the Vidbox converter that I purchased. So, I went to my Mom's and borrowed her old VCR that had the connectors. My Mom's VCR was broken, so I had to go on E-bay and find a refurbished VCR for sale. I found a good refurbished VCR for $50 and bought it. I just put the Vidbox software on my Mac, hooked the converter up to the MAC and VCR and ran the video. It was all pretty simple and still less expensive that taking a bunch of tapes (I have several to copy) to a video converter service like Walmart. Uploading the videos to Youtube took quite a while since they were so long.

autocat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by autocat » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:22 pm

How in the hell did Bignell not play in the NFL. With his size and ability to catch the ball, impressive!!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:41 pm

I was there. Even scalped a ticket outside the stadium because my dad had bought 4 of them and only 3 of us went.

Went to the Arkansas State game, too.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:43 pm

Wow that is neat. Eddie freaking Robinson in the broadcast booth! I think that was the only home game I missed that season. We were at a girls basketball tournament or something. Heard about the result of course, was very excited, but no VCR, no replays, just figured the game was gone right after it happened. What great memories from that season. Little did we know...

RoCatFan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by RoCatFan » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:25 pm

Thanks AFCAT. Good memories for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:22 am

AFCAT wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:AFCAT, I'm curious. How did you convert this tape to digital format?
Well, a bit of a long story. I purchased a Vidbox video converter on Amazon for my Mac for around $50. You can get a Vidbox converter for a PC too or one that works with a MAC and PC for around $60. I then went and dug out an old VCR that I had in my storage unit. Of course, my old VCR was part of a TV/VCR combo and didn't have any output connections for the Vidbox converter that I purchased. So, I went to my Mom's and borrowed her old VCR that had the connectors. My Mom's VCR was broken, so I had to go on E-bay and find a refurbished VCR for sale. I found a good refurbished VCR for $50 and bought it. I just put the Vidbox software on my Mac, hooked the converter up to the MAC and VCR and ran the video. It was all pretty simple and still less expensive that taking a bunch of tapes (I have several to copy) to a video converter service like Walmart. Uploading the videos to Youtube took quite a while since they were so long.
Thank you!

webdav

Post by webdav » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:27 pm

AFCAT wrote:Second half (last 8 minutes are awesome!)
I was 10, which means my dad was my age right now. I remember him jumping around like a kid after that INT.

To say the last minutes were awesome is understating it. It's epic!

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:37 pm

thanks for getting this up -- had to watch the whole thing - last time I watched this game it was from the sidelines!

some things I'd forgotten:

What a beast Eric Miller was. RIP brother

what a great WR corps we had. All of them. Tom made clutch catches as always, KD, Bateman, Clements out of the backfield -- made Bradley look good on a day where he threw some bad balls.

Clements was so good as a swing back, but if he could block a DE/LB we would've had about 100 more yards on the ground.

Big Jesse Jones could've ran for a dime if he had some vision!

Team D - fierce competitors. One of the best DL groups Bozeman has ever seen. Timmer brothers were ram wreckers, Kimball was everywhere, Rodney Holland got burned once (didn't remember that) - that hardly ever happened. DA was a fighter. Linebarger had speed on the field - saved a TD from behind - I remembered him as not having that kind of speed, I was wrong. Kenny Lang saved a TD, foreshadowing his future. Joe Roberts missed tackles early in the game, took bad angles, poor pursuit -- until the 4th quarter that is, where he was ballin' and made the most important single play in Bobcat Football history.

Coach Dietrich was so damn short! Guy was ahead of his time - genius OC made some ballsy calls.

Never heard that Rhode Island borrowed cleats from the griz, announcer said it. I do remember Arkansas State making a large purchase at Universal when they came to Bozeman.

What a game, what a team. La Tech didn't stand a chance after this game. Thanks for the trip!

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:48 pm

autocat wrote:How in the hell did Bignell not play in the NFL. With his size and ability to catch the ball, impressive!!
I'd always wondered that. All else being equal, I tend to assume that when the NFL shows no interest in a small-school player, and I know he's not small, then they don't think he's fast enough.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:58 pm

My Sharona video is playing at LC Tap Room.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:02 pm

TomCat88 wrote:My Sharona video is playing at LC Tap Room.

Is that the '84 highlight video? I remember part of that song was used on the highlight video. I've been looking for my copy but can't locate it yet.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:46 pm

AFCAT wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:My Sharona video is playing at LC Tap Room.

Is that the '84 highlight video? I remember part of that song was used on the highlight video. I've been looking for my copy but can't locate it yet.
I don't know. I thought it came out around '84, alas it was '79. I was way off.

toM StUber

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Wed May 10, 2017 8:20 am

Thanks for posting this. I was working in Denver at that time and in the process of moving the family to Tulsa. I never really got to watch the game so this was great. I just remembered the interception that changed the momentum around but I guess I never heard or saw the other key plays like the big stop after the interception return, the pass play, the muffed kick off recovery and Millers run. Great to see the game... finally!!