Drop Down Success Rate

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Drop Down Success Rate

Post by iaafan » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:58 am

Yes, Beach went to Univ. of Arizona prior to MSU.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:09 pm

CelticCat wrote:If you went back the last 15 years for dropdowns you'd probably find a lot more busts than success stories. And I don't mean bust when a kid transfers, doesn't exactly light the world on fire but still sticks around and contributes. A bust comes in and either doesn't finish school, gets kicked off the team, or even transfers again.

We just haven't had a ton of luck here but we've definitely had some great players come from FBS.
Well, of course there are busts, but statistically how many kids that walk on, are scholly players etc. that do not make it through the program either? I really don't have a deep interest in the point, other than to say, some are a success, some are a bust, and some are on the team and contribute as they can.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:26 pm

I feel the biggest problem is the buy-in with drop downs. It seems many come in, play their year or two, and are never heard from again. Whereas with a lot of the 4 year guys, MSU and MSU football become a part of them. They reference it, they push it, and most importantly they support it. I don't have a problem with rolling the dice on transfers and I doubt our luck has been any better or worse than most schools, but 4 and 5 year guys are and should be the preference for sure.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:21 am

HelenaCat95 wrote:Junior Adams
Joey Thomas

maybe that's too far back....I'm getting old. :D
OL Brian Choi from New Mexico State

DL Jason Nicastro (he came over from Cal State - Northridge when they cut the program, so 1-AA to a 1-AA)

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:52 pm

The Butcher wrote:
HelenaCat95 wrote:Junior Adams
Joey Thomas

maybe that's too far back....I'm getting old. :D
OL Brian Choi from New Mexico State

DL Jason Nicastro (he came over from Cal State - Northridge when they cut the program, so 1-AA to a 1-AA)
Bruce and Jonathan Mollock also came from CS-Northridge and had good careers at MSU.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:20 pm

a few former player buddies of mine and I had this convo a while back and what they said made a lot of sense to me.

they seemed to all agree that the jobs of these transfers were more difficult than their own journeys that began their freshman years. forget just the physical distance they are away from family, friends, teammates, etc. many kids go through that when entering college. they suggested the biggest challenge was between the ears. many come in feeling entitled. assuming their starting spot is locked down. almost disregarding the talent of the players already on the roster. the good ones that were mentioned above were guys that these former players cited specifically as guys who didn't do that. they came in expecting nothing, and were prepared to work for everything.

the other thing they said that follows this line of thinking, is that when these drop downs don't perform well, they seem to struggle far more getting back to where they need to be. more pouting, blaming, etc. be clear, this isn't all the guys that drop down obviously. it was just their take on the biggest difference between the guys that drop down and do great compared to those that do nothing. I imagine for many of them, maintaining their ego when they first arrive on campus is a hurdle.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:34 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
lutecat wrote:Our stud cb last year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Walker
John Walker Blue Label [emoji6]

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:56 am

iaafan wrote:Yes, Beach went to Univ. of Arizona prior to MSU.
Beach was a stud.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:43 am

Did anyone mention Chris Kolone? I seem to remember him being a decent contributor who came here via University of Arizona.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

msucatzfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by msucatzfan » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:38 pm

To refine my initial question a bit - how many of the successful drop downs were dismissed from their prior team? It seems there is a pretty high success rate with players who voluntarily left their prior program for various reasons. There seems to be a much lower success rate with players who were kicked off of their prior team and who were given a "second chance" with the Cats. I'm sure there are several success stories with second chance players, but I having trouble remembering who they are...

lakesbison
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by lakesbison » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:14 pm

NDSU has had very little drop downs & very great success.

I think quality 4-5 year guys helps & the players that are ALREADY IN the system don't have to look over their shoulders

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:40 pm

This is a really interesting thread...

I am a believer--and I may be wrong--that systems win games and championships, not players. As such, I think having some quality drop down players is never a bad thing, but as an earlier poster said, it's the 4-5 year guys that really make the difference because they are part of a winning system. Drop down players are essentially ringers with good playing experience who can plug a hole for a year or two...obviously there are exceptions to this a la the players Colter listed.

Good topic.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:28 pm

Cody Kempt
Mitch Griebel
Tanner Roderick
Desman Carter

None of the guys listed above were at the Akpla level, but they all contributed something on the field, and I don't remember any of them getting arrested or kicked off the team.

Also, the original post talks about transfers doing nothing on the field before being arrested and/or kicked off the team. Anthony Knight got arrested and kicked off the team, but only after being a reasonably good running back.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:23 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:Cody Kempt
Mitch Griebel
Tanner Roderick
Desman Carter

None of the guys listed above were at the Akpla level, but they all contributed something on the field, and I don't remember any of them getting arrested or kicked off the team.

Also, the original post talks about transfers doing nothing on the field before being arrested and/or kicked off the team. Anthony Knight got arrested and kicked off the team, but only after being a reasonably good running back.
I would axe Roderick from that list.

Cats_Win_Again
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Cats_Win_Again » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:16 am

Not a Bobcat historian to the level of many of you out there.....
"drop down success"-- it sounds as if there have been many....
if leadership/respect of teammates were added also....
Have any risen to "captain" over the years ?
(...besides Griebel)

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:35 am

Cats_Win_Again wrote:Not a Bobcat historian to the level of many of you out there.....
"drop down success"-- it sounds as if there have been many....
if leadership/respect of teammates were added also....
Have any risen to "captain" over the years ?
(...besides Griebel)
I believe Tray Robinson was a captain.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:10 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:Cody Kempt
Mitch Griebel
Tanner Roderick
Desman Carter

I would argue that Griebel was on the Akpla level. He might not have been a star, but he an outstanding leader and a great slot receiver for us for 3 years.