**Weekly** 2017 season prediction thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: **Weekly** 2017 season prediction thread

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:51 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:All our home games are at least winnable with the possible exception of the SDSU game. So that's 5 likely wins.

All our road games are very difficult, with the possible exception of UNCU.

So 6 wins are likely.

In order to win more than 6, we have to win from this group of games:
SDSU, playoff quarter-finalist last year
At NAU, where we never seem to win
At UND, conference winner last year
At EWU, I think we have 1 win there in the last decade
At Wash State, an FBS team

So 6-5 seems most likely. We'd have to beat a very tough team in order to get to 7 wins.
I think we have a good shot at UND and EWU. EWU is going to be reeling next year, I don't care what anyone says, Baldwin was a great coach. UND could be another nail biter, but I think we will be significantly improved and that may give us the edge. NAU I completely agree, I don't know why we can't win there, and SDSU/WSU are going to be total beat downs but that's how we get better.
I agree, if we can steal a game or 2 on the road, the most likely are the EWU and UND games. I'm expecting UND to be very tough again, tough to say what EWU will look like but they've always got plenty of talent there.
UND is going to be right there again. I was just looking at their schedule and it's pretty weak in conference again. They get both EWU and MSU at home. They have PSU, UNC, UCD and Sac on the schedule. Studsrud started to play a lot better at the end of the year too. We lost by 2 last season though with zero offense to speak of. As with most of our games this year I think that one will be close but very winnable. EWU has to come to us, making that game winnable especially with their changes. SDSU being at home is a plus too. Don't write us off in that one yet.
EWU is a road game.
And I agree, SDSU isn't an automatic loss, especially since we're at home. But it will be a tough one.

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:43 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:
Montanabob wrote:Washington St - L in overtime
SDSU - W
UND - W
Weber - W
PSU - W
EWU - W
UNC - W
ISU - W
Kennesaw St - W
NAU - L
Pink U - win by 30

Semi finals toss up win
NAU was picked in both the media and coaches poll to win it all in 2016. They finished at 5-6. Problem was, they couldn't finish. They scored 361 points and only 48 in the 4th quarter. Seventeen of those came in a 52-7 blow-out of ISU. The last couple of years NAU has been underachievers. Coach Souers suffers some of the difficulty Coach Ash faced...often falters on the big ones.
Don't let yourselves be fooled by Northern Colorado. They've gone 6-5 the past two years and appear ready to contend. They beat the griz, NAU and PSU last year in spite of losing their starting quarterback for the season in game 2. That guy is back this year and has the talent to be a really good-great one. Jacob Knipp. He comes back as a redshirt junior and currently holds the all-time Colorado high school passing record for completions.
They couldn't finish? The reason why they finished 5-6 was directly related to Case Cookus going down a few games into the season. Regardless of their recent history, they will be a tough team to beat next year.
I beg to differ. Cookus went down for the season late in the third quarter in game 4 (Sept 24) vs. EWU, a game they lost 35-50. Prior they were beaten 13-44 by Arizona State and 20-34 by Western Illinois (failed to score in the 4th). After Eastern they were beaten by N. Colorado then beat the Bobcats, ISU, griz and Weber in consecutive weeks. The back-up qb was doing a decent job. They closed out losing to UND 38-31 and Southern Utah 48-21 failing to score in the 4th both times.
And you are very right, they should be a very tough team this year.

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:49 pm

AFCAT wrote:I'm guessing 6-5, but more likely 5-6. The schedule this year is tough. I believe 2018 will be a 7-4 team and then more improvement after that.
I think this is spot on. That schedule will be an early and up hill battle. Will pay dividends in the future but not in 2017.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:02 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
AFCAT wrote:I'm guessing 6-5, but more likely 5-6. The schedule this year is tough. I believe 2018 will be a 7-4 team and then more improvement after that.
I think this is spot on. That schedule will be an early and up hill battle. Will pay dividends in the future but not in 2017.
What are your thoughts on the Griz next year addict? I would say on D and at WR I think you guys look really good, the question seems to be QB and O-line. I would say the O-line hurt you guys the most last year.

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:15 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
What are your thoughts on the Griz next year addict? I would say on D and at WR I think you guys look really good, the question seems to be QB and O-line. I would say the O-line hurt you guys the most last year.
I must admit, my confidence is a little shaken. The slide last year from 5-1 is somewhat alarming. This year, the schedule favors the Griz a bit more than in recent years. Mainly because a number of big games will be at home, which I hope will help. I'm thinking if what I'm hearing on Reese Phillips at QB is true, then he should be very capable and we could see a 8-3 type season. If not and we continue to have struggles we could see a 6-5. My realistic prediction is 7-4.

I'm looking at it in blocks. They have a game they will definitely lose at Washington. Then they have 4 games that they should win (ISU, NOCO, Savannah St, and Valparaiso). Then there are 6 that really could go either way:

EWU at home
NAU at home
UND at home
At MSU
At Weber
At PSU

I am hopeful they can at least go 3-3 in those if not 4-2. Sounds like coaches are excited with the D front and brought in Shaw the huge Maryland transfer to make it even better. All LBs are back and some young up and comers who should be legit. We are a bit thin in the corner positions which has me concerned. Both starters are back but red shirt freshman behind them. Strong and Sandry at safeties will be solid.

Calhoun will be an upgrade at RB getting bulk of carries. Rumors of a transfer coming in as well. 3 of 5 OL are back and need to improve. Excited to see a couple of the young OL guys compete for a starting spot. All WRs will be back and should be even better. Keep an eye out for the next stud receiver up and coming in 6'4 Sammy Akem from OK. Gonna be a beast.

Got some studs and some young talent, but it all needs to come together. Like I said, my confidence is shaken after last year. Stitt is on the hot seat and needs to go to playoffs to stick around.

16VetCat
New Recruit

Post by 16VetCat » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:57 pm

91catAlum wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:All our home games are at least winnable with the possible exception of the SDSU game. So that's 5 likely wins.

All our road games are very difficult, with the possible exception of UNCU.

So 6 wins are likely.

In order to win more than 6, we have to win from this group of games:
SDSU, playoff quarter-finalist last year
At NAU, where we never seem to win
At UND, conference winner last year
At EWU, I think we have 1 win there in the last decade
At Wash State, an FBS team

So 6-5 seems most likely. We'd have to beat a very tough team in order to get to 7 wins.
I think we have a good shot at UND and EWU. EWU is going to be reeling next year, I don't care what anyone says, Baldwin was a great coach. UND could be another nail biter, but I think we will be significantly improved and that may give us the edge. NAU I completely agree, I don't know why we can't win there, and SDSU/WSU are going to be total beat downs but that's how we get better.
I agree, if we can steal a game or 2 on the road, the most likely are the EWU and UND games. I'm expecting UND to be very tough again, tough to say what EWU will look like but they've always got plenty of talent there.
UND is going to be right there again. I was just looking at their schedule and it's pretty weak in conference again. They get both EWU and MSU at home. They have PSU, UNC, UCD and Sac on the schedule. Studsrud started to play a lot better at the end of the year too. We lost by 2 last season though with zero offense to speak of. As with most of our games this year I think that one will be close but very winnable. EWU has to come to us, making that game winnable especially with their changes. SDSU being at home is a plus too. Don't write us off in that one yet.
EWU is a road game.
And I agree, SDSU isn't an automatic loss, especially since we're at home. But it will be a tough one.
I'm definitely no expert at predicting the future (I could share my NCAA bracket as evidence), but I would contend the entire conference is up for grabs as best as anyone can speculate, at present. There Is a majority number of traditional contenders who could reasonably project at 7-4 (at best or otherwise) this upcoming season (SUU, NAU, MSU, CP, UND, Weber St., UM, EWU, etc.). 7-4 could still get ya somewhere, in my humble opinion ...I guess my point is, this is gonna be an interesting season for both Bobcat football AND the BSC. May be an obvious observation or not, but.. there it is.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:20 am

Grizaddict wrote:
I'm in this camp! Tough schedule and we are not quite there yet. The wins we get will be hard fought, and our losses competitive, but likely more L's than W's.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:06 am

Liking what I've been hearing so far. Might need to up my prediction if this keeps up!!

Several players have told me that the they're light years ahead of where it was at this time last year in many areas. Strength, stamina and chemistry being the three main ones. Last night I heard that Dane Fletcher has been a huge influence in the mental toughness and training area. Going to be an interesting camp. Sounds like Murray is making huge strides.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:45 am

iaafan wrote:Liking what I've been hearing so far. Might need to up my prediction if this keeps up!!

Several players have told me that the they're light years ahead of where it was at this time last year in many areas. Strength, stamina and chemistry being the three main ones. Last night I heard that Dane Fletcher has been a huge influence in the mental toughness and training area. Going to be an interesting camp. Sounds like Murray is making huge strides.

I love how the Cats basically got an additional trainer/coach with Dane Fletcher- That is like adding another person to the staff at no cost. and it just so happens to be an All-Time bobcat great, who played in the NFL. HUGE!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:12 am

mslacatfan wrote:
iaafan wrote:Liking what I've been hearing so far. Might need to up my prediction if this keeps up!!

I love how the Cats basically got an additional trainer/coach with Dane Fletcher- That is like adding another person to the staff at no cost. and it just so happens to be an All-Time bobcat great, who played in the NFL. HUGE!
Does Dane Fletcher have an official role with the team? Is he a volunteer?

9-2
Last edited by Rich K on Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:19 am

8-3

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

95bcfb
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 95bcfb » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:52 am

How good the Bobcats are depends on one huge "if" - the quarterback play. We would have won a lot of games last year if we had even been average at quarterback. The last two games were won not because we were good at qb but because our qb didn't turn the ball over. If he can keep that up and he can get even average at passing we will win a lot of games 7-4 at least.

On a different level. I am more worried about Eastern than I am about NAU. I have said this before and I will say it again. NAU is an upper mid level team. I can't remember them EVER winning the BSC in the last 20-25 years. We may not beat them but if we are going to compete for a BSC title they are not a team that should worry us. It is true that Eastern will have a new coaching staff and they may not be as good, but they have a lot of talent coming back. Until I see them not being as good I am going to assume that they will do just fine.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:47 pm

Rich K wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

9-2
Ditto... did I miss something?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:49 pm

I'm leaning towards 7-4 at this point. For people saying we'll have a losing season, I doubt that. I've heard similar things about this team being light years ahead of where we were last year and keep in mind, last year's team almost beat Idaho (Who ended up being pretty damn good) right out of the chute.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:06 pm

catatac wrote:
Rich K wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

9-2
I don't think he has an official role with the team, but he opened up this training facility in Bozeman:

http://thepittbozeman.com/dane-fletcher/

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:13 pm

91catAlum wrote:
catatac wrote:
Rich K wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

9-2
I don't think he has an official role with the team, but he opened up this training facility in Bozeman:

Kind of a volunteer, like some teams have volunteer lawyers.......

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:30 pm

Rich K wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
catatac wrote:
Rich K wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

9-2

Lol, no I don't think it's like that.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:03 pm

Rich K wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
catatac wrote:
Rich K wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

9-2

:lol: =D^

FTG- GO CATS GO!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:56 am

It sounds like our secondary and receivers have improved, but I'm going to stick with my 8-3 pick due to the loss of Folsom at OG.

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:25 pm

Washington St - L
SDSU - L
UND - L
Weber - W
PSU - W
EWU - L
UNC - W
ISU - W