**Weekly** 2017 season prediction thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:21 pm

Figured I'd start this now and people could come in and predict how they think the team will do on a weekly (or less often) basis based on how players look, what players come and go (transfers), and heaven-forbid injuries. That way in October no one is held to their prediction from March/June/August or whenever.

Right now I think Murray is going to be vastly improved and that will spark a surge in our offensive production in 2017. I see the defense maintaining its vast improvement.

This week I predict MSU will go 8-3 in 2017.

vike_king
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: **Weekly** 2017 season prediction thread

Post by vike_king » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:32 pm

7-4

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:35 pm

7-4

Probabilities
5-6 or <15%
6-5 20%
7-4 30%
8-3 20%
9-2 or >15%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:03 pm

man, hard to say at this point, still so many unknowns.

Overall I do expect the team to improve on both offense and defense, and even better coaching as well (a little more experienced)..... BUT.... holy cow, the schedule is frickin brutal! (it will be fun to watch though, every game is nuts)

What I am excited to see and will be watching:

1. Chris Murrays development (obviously this is crucial), specifically in the passing game and decision making.
2. The RB's and how this group unfolds, hoping that LaSane has a big year.
3. New offensive coordinator... personally I thought Messingham was terrible.
4. Freshman, Redshirt Freshman and Sophs- Who is going to burst onto the scene and make some noise.
5. Senior Leadership. There was some great leaders last year with Newell/Brekke/Flynn just to name a few.... who is going to fill those crucial rolls.

Back to the original question.... going with 8-3 \:D/

FTG- GO CATS GO!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:14 pm

I'm guessing 6-5, but more likely 5-6. The schedule this year is tough. I believe 2018 will be a 7-4 team and then more improvement after that.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:20 pm

@Washington St - L
SDSU - L
UND - W
Weebs - W
PSU - W
EWU - W
UNC - W
ISU - W
Kennesaw St - W
NAU - L
College of dance - W

I think we can pull off 8-3, 7-4 is very doable. 6-5 could be likey... I think we do no worse than 5-6

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:24 pm

I like this concept. I'm going with 10-1 right now. The way MSU finished 2016, especially in Missoula, was impressive. Not only was it UM's only home loss, but the way MSU dominated both sides of the ball was encouraging. I believe the Bobcats set some kind of Wa-Griz Stadium rushing record for an opposing team.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:30 pm

I think we are still a year away. I think 6-5.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:43 pm

8-3
Defense finds itself in better shape up front to continue in an upward spiral - lower body
strength is improved as is speed.
Offense is more consistent, pass game arrives to help run game ~ Army will do a good job
matching Scheme to Talent and the lower body strength and speed will be improved.
Should also see improvement on Turn Over Ratio~ got out of hand last year and cost us
some games.
Special Teams will have some good input and help~ BJ's second year will be good.
This team could easily get on a roll and be tough for opponents to play- as a good
foundation of attitude and fundamentals has been layed and ready to be built upon.

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

bobcatbob24
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by bobcatbob24 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:29 pm

10-4, 2-1 in playoffs :D

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:57 pm

Washington St - L in overtime
SDSU - W
UND - W
Weber - W
PSU - W
EWU - W
UNC - W
ISU - W
Kennesaw St - W
NAU - L
Pink U - win by 30

Semi finals toss up win

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:21 pm

My memory may be off but Murray was 2-3 as the starter last year. Those 3 losses had a few key plays that killed us, or a really bad quarter. Murray is going to be a different player this year, in a good way. He seems like a really motivated kid and I'm confident 9 months is going to make a world of difference for him. The defense lost only a handful of contributors and there are a number of guys ready to step in. I think most of our games will be close and Murray's improvement in the passing game amd the D line will be the deciding factors in regards to our record. If Murray only improves minimally I say 6-5. If he makes significant strides I say 7-4. The D line will be a big factor in the defensive improvement as well. If we can clog the middle more against the run and get better pressure on the QB this year the sky's the limit.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:04 am

All our home games are at least winnable with the possible exception of the SDSU game. So that's 5 likely wins.

All our road games are very difficult, with the possible exception of UNCU.

So 6 wins are likely.

In order to win more than 6, we have to win from this group of games:
SDSU, playoff quarter-finalist last year
At NAU, where we never seem to win
At UND, conference winner last year
At EWU, I think we have 1 win there in the last decade
At Wash State, an FBS team

So 6-5 seems most likely. We'd have to beat a very tough team in order to get to 7 wins.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:23 am

91catAlum wrote:All our home games are at least winnable with the possible exception of the SDSU game. So that's 5 likely wins.

So 6 wins are likely.

So 6-5 seems most likely. We'd have to beat a very tough team in order to get to 7 wins.
I think we have a good shot at UND and EWU. EWU is going to be reeling next year, I don't care what anyone says, Baldwin was a great coach. UND could be another nail biter, but I think we will be significantly improved and that may give us the edge. NAU I completely agree, I don't know why we can't win there, and SDSU/WSU are going to be total beat downs but that's how we get better.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:07 pm

MSU never seems to win at NAU? Since when? Three straight wins in 2004, 2006, 2008 says otherwise. We've only played there twice since 2008.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:51 pm

iaafan wrote:MSU never seems to win at NAU? Since when? Three straight wins in 2004, 2006, 2008 says otherwise. We've only played there twice since 2008.
Good point. I guess I'm just thinking of recent years, like 2015 where they were leading 42-14 in the 4th qtr before we made it look closer at the end, and also 2010 when they kicked our ass 34-7 in a year we went 9-2 in the regular season.

I didn't say we can't win there, just saying it's a very tough road game.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:11 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:All our home games are at least winnable with the possible exception of the SDSU game. So that's 5 likely wins.

So 6 wins are likely.

I think we have a good shot at UND and EWU. EWU is going to be reeling next year, I don't care what anyone says, Baldwin was a great coach. UND could be another nail biter, but I think we will be significantly improved and that may give us the edge. NAU I completely agree, I don't know why we can't win there, and SDSU/WSU are going to be total beat downs but that's how we get better.
I agree, if we can steal a game or 2 on the road, the most likely are the EWU and UND games. I'm expecting UND to be very tough again, tough to say what EWU will look like but they've always got plenty of talent there.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:27 pm

91catAlum wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:

So 6 wins are likely.

I agree, if we can steal a game or 2 on the road, the most likely are the EWU and UND games. I'm expecting UND to be very tough again, tough to say what EWU will look like but they've always got plenty of talent there.
UND is going to be right there again. I was just looking at their schedule and it's pretty weak in conference again. They get both EWU and MSU at home. They have PSU, UNC, UCD and Sac on the schedule. Studsrud started to play a lot better at the end of the year too. We lost by 2 last season though with zero offense to speak of. As with most of our games this year I think that one will be close but very winnable. EWU has to come to us, making that game winnable especially with their changes. SDSU being at home is a plus too. Don't write us off in that one yet.

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:39 pm

Montanabob wrote:Washington St - L in overtime
SDSU - W
UND - W
Weber - W
PSU - W
EWU - W
UNC - W
ISU - W
Kennesaw St - W
NAU - L
Pink U - win by 30

Semi finals toss up win
NAU was picked in both the media and coaches poll to win it all in 2016. They finished at 5-6. Problem was, they couldn't finish. They scored 361 points and only 48 in the 4th quarter. Seventeen of those came in a 52-7 blow-out of ISU. The last couple of years NAU has been underachievers. Coach Souers suffers some of the difficulty Coach Ash faced...often falters on the big ones.
Don't let yourselves be fooled by Northern Colorado. They've gone 6-5 the past two years and appear ready to contend. They beat the griz, NAU and PSU last year in spite of losing their starting quarterback for the season in game 2. That guy is back this year and has the talent to be a really good-great one. Jacob Knipp. He comes back as a redshirt junior and currently holds the all-time Colorado high school passing record for completions.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:48 pm

Mr Lisle wrote:
Montanabob wrote:Washington St - L in overtime
SDSU - W
UND - W
Weber - W
PSU - W
EWU - W
UNC - W
ISU - W
Kennesaw St - W
NAU - L
Pink U - win by 30

Semi finals toss up win
NAU was picked in both the media and coaches poll to win it all in 2016. They finished at 5-6. Problem was, they couldn't finish. They scored 361 points and only 48 in the 4th quarter. Seventeen of those came in a 52-7 blow-out of ISU. The last couple of years NAU has been underachievers. Coach Souers suffers some of the difficulty Coach Ash faced...often falters on the big ones.
Don't let yourselves be fooled by Northern Colorado. They've gone 6-5 the past two years and appear ready to contend. They beat the griz, NAU and PSU last year in spite of losing their starting quarterback for the season in game 2. That guy is back this year and has the talent to be a really good-great one. Jacob Knipp. He comes back as a redshirt junior and currently holds the all-time Colorado high school passing record for completions.
They couldn't finish? The reason why they finished 5-6 was directly related to Case Cookus going down a few games into the season. Regardless of their recent history, they will be a tough team to beat next year.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."