**Weekly** 2017 season prediction thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: **Weekly** 2017 season prediction thread

Post by Montanabob » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:19 pm

91catAlum wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:The secondary is going to be very good. The SDSU game will be a good test and harbinger of things to come.
that's encouraging, with the loss of Hale. And Harris. What makes you think so?
Sorry, Hale is no loss.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:44 pm

Montanabob wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:The secondary is going to be very good. The SDSU game will be a good test and harbinger of things to come.
that's encouraging, with the loss of Hale. And Harris. What makes you think so?
Sorry, Hale is no loss.
Don't know if our secondary will be that great - loss of John Walker will hurt ...

But loss of Hale and especially Harris don't really hurt. Just looking at the secondary we have, I like Bryson McCabe, but there are a lot of question marks. Bryce Alley is good enough, Damien Washington looked good for a true freshman last year, Braelen Evans was highly touted but hasn't done too much yet, from there I think we have Jalen Cole, JoJo Henderson, Tyrel Thomas, Dre Jackson and many of those guys are very highly regarded but haven't played D1 ball yet. Lots of talent, but unproven

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:32 pm

I really like Bryson McCabe and Brayden Konkol as starting safeties this year. That combo played lights out at the end of last year. I'm not for sure who we're going to see as starting corners. If I were a betting man, I'd say Bryce Alley and one of Cole or Thomas with Washington as the nickel. I'd like to see the loser of Cole/Thomas be redshirted, as well as Keaton Anderson. But if they're all good enough to play, I say play them all. With that being said, I still think we finish right around the .500 mark with either a 5-6 or 6-5 record, but with a lot more optimism in our offense than we had to finish this last year :lol:

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:18 am

Another earthquake woke me up. 4.0.

Don't underestimate decision-making by the coaches in terms of personnel and scheme. Last season was basically two seasons in one, especially for Choate. From spring through to the middle of the season was one season, then to Spring of this year. They learned some things and didn't walk away with false ideas of who they are. It's nice to catch breaks here and there, but players and coaches are usually better off in the long run if they're able to find their identity and build from there. A few breaks and MSU was in the playoffs last year, but they're probably a more enriched team now.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:49 am

There are basically five units of a football team (run offense, pass offense, run defense, pass defense and special teams) after that it comes down to the ability to make plays.

MSU was second in pass D, third in run D and run O, but 12th is pass O.

We were probably first in special teams based on being third in KO returns, second in punt returns, fourth in KO coverage, first in punt coverage, third in punting, 7th in FGs and only one missed XP.

If the pass game improves to just middle of the pack and the ability to make plays improves, then this team is contender for the league and a definite playoff team.

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:46 am

I'm remaining optimistic until proven otherwise, and I love the tough start to the season. Playing SDSU at home in week 2 for Gold Rush is an absolute gift IMO, and has the chance to springboard our season. Between Costello and a few choice quotes (classy, but still...) and our conversations about the last meeting in Bozeman, this game will have a rivalry feel. I think SDSU will see our very best game so far under Choate, and if we manage to beat those guys, our team will have the mentality that they are a quarterfinals (or better) caliber football team. The winning mentality and how it translates to the field will become obvious to all of us, and this program will have have already turned the corner. This is my expectation.

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:09 am

Darth Yoda wrote:I'm remaining optimistic until proven otherwise, and I love the tough start to the season. Playing SDSU at home in week 2 for Gold Rush is an absolute gift IMO, and has the chance to springboard our season. Between Costello and a few choice quotes (classy, but still...) and our conversations about the last meeting in Bozeman, this game will have a rivalry feel. I think SDSU will see our very best game so far under Choate, and if we manage to beat those guys, our team will have the mentality that they are a quarterfinals (or better) caliber football team. The winning mentality and how it translates to the field will become obvious to all of us, and this program will have have already turned the corner. This is my expectation.
Completely Concur ~ Am a total Optimist until proven other wise. The (Team) winning mentality Coach Chote is building will
far out weigh a few Super Stars on each side of the ball. Thats what I 've noticed at the end of last season and the interviews
from players. Every one steps up . Good times coming for the Cats ~ I believe.

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:51 pm

The conditioning of this team is light years ahead of previous seasons. It will project onto the field.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:33 pm

iaafan wrote:The conditioning of this team is light years ahead of previous seasons. It will project onto the field.
I got that almost straight from one of MSU's horses mouths today. If they don't do well it won't be due to a lack of effort and sacrifice.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:42 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
iaafan wrote:The conditioning of this team is light years ahead of previous seasons. It will project onto the field.
I got that almost straight from one of MSU's horses mouths today. If they don't do well it won't be due to a lack of effort and sacrifice.
Couple that with the New emerging Attitude and the Cat's may be underdogs for the first half of the Schedule but very
dangerous underdogs for opponents I believe .

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:47 pm

http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky- ... ign=LEEDCC+
“It’s hard to quantify the work that these kids have put in during the summer,” Choate said, citing one example. “Who are the teams that are really taking the next step in the summer? That’s when championship teams are built. That’s when your culture really gels together.”

toM StUber

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:06 am

I gotta believe Choate is saying this because he knows his team is one of the teams taking the next step.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:21 pm

iaafan wrote:I gotta believe Choate is saying this because he knows his team is one of the teams taking the next step.
He was doing some big league sandbagging in Utah, too. He's really polished his media game since early last season.

toM StUber

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:25 pm

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:31 am

It's shaping up to be a 10-1, or 9-2 if there's an upset, season. I'm guessing someone from back east for the first game after a bye, then a home game vs. the Southland champ in the quarters.

Both lines are looking very good. Difficult to find a weakness in any unit.

toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:34 pm

Sitting on 9-2 going into the first game. Figuring MSU loses this one, but wins all but one of the rest. Bound to be a hiccup along the way.

toM StUber

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:53 am

I'll go with 8-3 right now. I'm pretty sure that will change by Sunday morning.

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:10 pm

I can appreciate the optimism here, but I've got to say, some of you need to hook me up with whatever it is you're smoking. With this schedule and such a young team still, I think there is a chance that we go 4-7 again this year, worst case and 7-4, best case. My best guess is in between at 6-5 with momentum going into Choate's third year and legitimately make a push for the conference next year.

WSU- L
SDSU- L
UND- W
Weber St- L
Portland St- W
EWU- L
UNC- W
ISU- W
Kennesaw St- W
NAU- L
um- W

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:11 pm

I'm calling for an 8 win 3 loss season. Where we get those wins and losses I'm not sure. I half expect us to get a win or two where we are not expected to but I also think that we could give up a loss in a game that we should win. I think we have done the work, made the growth and added enough play makers that we will win the games that we could of/should of won last year. While all teams are trying to improve year over year I beleive that we have taken more steps and larger steps towards improvement than the rest of the BSC teams.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Cats Forever
New Recruit

Post by Cats Forever » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:28 pm

You people are high as ******. This is the toughest schedule the cats have had in a long time. You play so many tough teams on the road this year. It looks a lot like what our road schedule is this year. I am a fan of Choate and would like to see the guy have some success but you could not have picked a worse year to have this tough of a schedule for you. I'll break it down game by game for you.
@ Washington St.- Loss. I mean come on. Ranked #23 in the country, power 5 school, QB is a heisman candidate, just makes sense that you guys will lose.
VS. SDSU- Loss. Very good football team on both sides of the ball, freak of a QB, potential MVFC champions and IMO national championship contenders. Only advantage for you guys is you get them at home.
@ UND- Loss. On the road, defending big sky champs, three headed monster at RB, good defense. Grand Forks is not an easy place to travel to.
VS. Weber- Win. Could go either way but I'll say a win.
VS. Portland St. Win. At home, true freshmen QB, very tough early schedule, you get them at home, coming off a 3-8 record, very winnable game.
@ Eastern-Loss. IMO the toughest place to play in the conference. Gubrud is back, good defense. I'd probably give it to you guys if it was in Bozeman.
@ N. Colorado- Win. They lost pretty much there entire offense, there defense isn't much. Easy win.
VS. Idaho St.- Win. I mean come on. It's Idaho State.
VS. Kennesaw St.- Loss. Probably a team you guys don't know much about. Finished 7-4 last year, was one of the first two teams to miss the playoffs from last year, incredible offense, got the top recruit in the country this year, they'll make the playoffs this year.
@ NAU- Loss. In the skydome, 7,000 ft of elevation, their QB is back, defense will be good this year.
VS. Montana- Loss. Loads of talent at receiver and RB, Phillips is looking really good, defense has been awesome all fall camp, we get UNC at home going into the game, you guys are at NAU, momentum will be on our side.
I'd say 4-7 based off of this. You could maybe beat Kennesaw to get to 5-6 by that's the best you'll do. You guys however are a year away from becoming a very good football team. Let those young guys get some experience first. Go Griz.

Actually a griz fan but My girlfriend goes to MSU and made my account. Now I have no idea how to change my name lol