Future Schedule

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Future Schedule

Post by Montanabob » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:06 pm

Because they think the NCAA will make the FCS season 13 games and we still get 7 home games.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:34 pm

Montanabob wrote:Because they think the NCAA will make the FCS season 13 games and we still get 7 home games.
I think the hope is 12 games. I don't know I've heard a push for 13. Plus there's no way the NCAA would allow 13 in the regular season plus possibly 5 playoff games. Too much wear and tear on college kids.

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:37 am

Hawks86 wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
I thought an all FCS schedule ​was the best route to the playoffs. Now we're back to scheduling FBS which, unless you're NDSU (and we're not), are more likely than not losses. Div II gimme wins do nothing toward playoffs, and neither do FBS losses. While I like playing the big dogs, it doesn't help play off drives. I thought this had been hashed and rehashed the last decade, and the financials were such with the extra home game, pay day body bag games weren't necessary any more. Why are we back to thinking they're such a good idea? Or aren't we supposed to discuss athletic department decisions any more?
lcostello@msubobcats.com

jchoate@msubobcats.com

Maybe we are in financial need? Maybe the money will go towards stadium improvements???

Hating the griz since 02.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:56 am

KittieKop wrote:
I thought an all FCS schedule ​was the best route to the playoffs. Now we're back to scheduling FBS which, unless you're NDSU (and we're not), are more likely than not losses. Div II gimme wins do nothing toward playoffs, and neither do FBS losses. While I like playing the big dogs, it doesn't help play off drives. I thought this had been hashed and rehashed the last decade, and the financials were such with the extra home game, pay day body bag games weren't necessary any more. Why are we back to thinking they're such a good idea? Or aren't we supposed to discuss athletic department decisions any more?
My view is that while an all-FCS schedule is ideal, I'll take a FBS money game any day over a completely useless D-II game that doesn't do anything for MSU except put another home game on the schedule. The way I see it with regards to the playoffs, a FBS game helps you greatly if you win and doesn't hurt you if you lose, while a D-II game doesn't help at all if you win and hurts you greatly if you lose. Plus, I'm guessing that the money MSU gets from playing those FBS games is extremely helpful not just for the football program but for the entire athletic department. Looking at it from a broader perspective than just what we as fans would like to see, this certainly needs to be taken into account at least to some extent when the football & athletic department staff is deciding who to schedule.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:08 am

MSU01 wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
My view is that while an all-FCS schedule is ideal, I'll take a FBS money game any day over a completely useless D-II game that doesn't do anything for MSU except put another home game on the schedule. The way I see it with regards to the playoffs, a FBS game helps you greatly if you win and doesn't hurt you if you lose, while a D-II game doesn't help at all if you win and hurts you greatly if you lose. Plus, I'm guessing that the money MSU gets from playing those FBS games is extremely helpful not just for the football program but for the entire athletic department. Looking at it from a broader perspective than just what we as fans would like to see, this certainly needs to be taken into account at least to some extent when the football & athletic department staff is deciding who to schedule.
I mostly agree with what you said, except for the part about an FBS game not hurting us if we lose. I don't believe that's true. From what I have read about the process, the selection committee doesn't really "discount" FBS losses. All other things being equal, a team that is 7-4 with an FBS loss isn't necessarily viewed more favorably than a 7-4 team who didn't play any FBS teams. And of course the FBS games are going to result in a loss at least 90% of the time, so I do believe that scheduling FBS games is going to hurt our playoff chances most years. I do agree that D-II games are worthless. It makes much more sense to schedule a lower tier FCS team that won't necessarily demand a return game, rather than a D-II team, if we want one "gimme" in our non-conference schedule. Besides hurting our playoff chances, since a D-II win essentially doesn't "count" in the committee's eyes, they are also generally poorly attended unless it's the Gold Rush game. I love our all-FCS 2018 schedule. I wish we could have a schedule like that every season, but I understand that financial realities may dictate that we have to play FBS games some years.

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:52 pm

Alternative duplicate topic...Portland State future schedules:

2018 Nevada, Oregon
2019 Arkansas
2020 Arizona
2021 Hawaii
2022 San Jose State
2023 Oregon, Wyoming

imacat

Post by imacat » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:54 pm

MSU01 wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
I don't like a D-II game either but I do recognize that D-II programs view FCS games much the same as we view FBS games. I would be disappointed if all FBS teams followed the Big 10 and said no more games vrs the FCS. I think we should keep this in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:06 am

https://twitter.com/pgabriel15/status/844218559144312832

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

JDoub
Member # Retired

Future Schedule

Post by JDoub » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:36 am

VimSince03 wrote:https://twitter.com/pgabriel15/status/844218559144312832
8 of the 10 Root TV games are played in the State of Montana, both in the top 6 FCS for attendance

norcal cat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by norcal cat » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:39 am

Altitude typically picks up the broadcast of the non conference games and Fox Sports Arizona typically broadcasts NAU games. This means we could have 10 tv games for us out of Montana folks.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:57 pm

JDoub wrote:
8 of the 10 Root TV games are played in the State of Montana, both in the top 6 FCS for attendance

9 out of 10 feature Montana schools.

Sept. 23 – Eastern Washington at Montana
Sept. 30 – Weber State at Montana State
Oct. 7 – Portland State at Montana State
Oct. 14 – North Dakota at Montana
Oct. 21 – Montana State at Northern Colorado
Oct. 28 – Idaho State at Montana State
Nov. 4 – Northern Arizona at Montana
Nov. 11 – Northern Colorado at Montana
Nov. 18 – Portland State at Eastern Washington
Nov. 18 – Montana at Montana State

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:01 pm

Montanabob wrote:
JDoub wrote:

I believe Root Sports AZ and Root Sports Rocky mountain also has games for UNC/Weber and NAU/SUU this is just the Root Northwest list. Also wondering which of the Nov 18 games is going to be a night game, unless the Eastern PSU game is actually Friday like usual.

WSUWILDCAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by WSUWILDCAT » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:28 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
JDoub wrote:

I believe Root Sports AZ and Root Sports Rocky mountain also has games for UNC/Weber and NAU/SUU this is just the Root Northwest list. Also wondering which of the Nov 18 games is going to be a night game, unless the Eastern PSU game is actually Friday like usual.

Root Sports AZ and Root Sports Rocky don't show NAU, SUU, UNC or Weber Games. Weber has one and only one root sports game.

As far as other games on tv, Kjzz will most likely be picking up Weber's home games again.

GOD BLESS AMERICA AND GO WILDCATS

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:59 am

In other words, if you want to see your favorite team on the TV you better hope they're playing one of the Montana schools.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

WSUWILDCAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by WSUWILDCAT » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:55 am

Cledus wrote:In other words, if you want to see your favorite team on the TV you better hope they're playing one of the Montana schools.

This, unfortunately.

GOD BLESS AMERICA AND GO WILDCATS

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:58 am

WSUWILDCAT wrote:
Cledus wrote:In other words, if you want to see your favorite team on the TV you better hope they're playing one of the Montana schools.

This, unfortunately.
And it should rightfully be that way. Both MSU and UM put more people in the stands by a long shot compared to any other big sky school and obviously the viewer ratings are higher when those schools are playing. ROOT see's the ratings and they know where they can get more bang for their buck.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:30 pm

Weber announced some future non-conference games earlier this month:
http://bigskyfans.com/wildcats/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5564
Non-conference football schedule as listed:

Aug 30 -- at Utah
Sep 8 -- at Cal Poly (non-conference game added)
Sep 15 -- vs. South Dakota

Aug 31 -- at San Diego St.
Sep 14 -- at Nevada (added)
Sep 21 -- vs. Cal Poly (non-conference game added)

Sep 5 -- at Wyoming (added)
What is interesting to me is they have Cal Poly added in 2018 and 2019 as a non-conference game against a conference foe.
My question is how would they know that they won't be playing Cal Poly in those seasons?

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:54 pm

Rich K wrote:Weber announced some future non-conference games earlier this month:
http://bigskyfans.com/wildcats/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5564
Non-conference football schedule as listed:

Aug 30 -- at Utah
Sep 8 -- at Cal Poly (non-conference game added)
Sep 15 -- vs. South Dakota

Aug 31 -- at San Diego St.
Sep 14 -- at Nevada (added)
Sep 21 -- vs. Cal Poly (non-conference game added)

Sep 5 -- at Wyoming (added)
What is interesting to me is they have Cal Poly added in 2018 and 2019 as a non-conference game against a conference foe.
My question is how would they know that they won't be playing Cal Poly in those seasons?
I would assume based on the rotating schedules they would miss Cal Poly those 2 seasons. It may change if the rivals change with the addition of Idaho, but that would be my best guess as to how they knew they could add them in advance.

Mr Lisle

Post by Mr Lisle » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:40 pm

Western Illinois! Hot Dog! Always great to play someone from the Missouri Valley Conference. They play NAU this year. Beat NAU last year. Bobcats have played them twice....home/away 1990/1993 and beat them both times in decent games.