Any roster updates ?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Any roster updates ?

Post by 94VegasCat » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:35 am

I was just thumbing through the MSU football roster and the one name that popped out at me, was Koni Dole. I often saw him on the sidelines in street clothes but don't remember seeing him on the field. I'm sure I missed it somewhere but I don't recall ever hearing about him being hurt. I was only asking why I never saw him dressed.

Garret Greg a transfer DT from Utah State was another name that I saw that caught my eye. What is his status?

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Any roster updates ?

Post by BigBruceBaker » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:56 am

I don't even remember gregg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:13 am

Greg is listed on the 2016 roster page. Is it matter of the programs ability to update the roster, like we all complain about?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:15 am

94VegasCat wrote:Greg is listed on the 2016 roster page. Is it matter of the programs ability to update the roster, like we all complain about?
Garrett Gregg transferred to MSU from Utah State two years ago as an offensive lineman. Was moved to DT last year. Will likely need a good spring to stay on the team (if he even still is on the team).

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:17 am

94VegasCat wrote:I was just thumbing through the MSU football roster and the one name that popped out at me, was Koni Dole. I often saw him on the sidelines in street clothes but don't remember seeing him on the field. I'm sure I missed it somewhere but I don't recall ever hearing about him being hurt. I was only asking why I never saw him dressed.

Garret Greg a transfer DT from Utah State was another name that I saw that caught my eye. What is his status?
As far as Koni Dole, he is still on the team and still getting reps at LB. But the fact of the matter is he doesn't want a free pass to see the field just because of his leg. He wants to continue to try and earn playing time.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by 94VegasCat » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:44 am

Excellent news on Dole. Figured that was most likely the case, from past stories on him.

Lydell
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Lydell » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:17 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
94VegasCat wrote:I was just thumbing through the MSU football roster and the one name that popped out at me, was Koni Dole. I often saw him on the sidelines in street clothes but don't remember seeing him on the field. I'm sure I missed it somewhere but I don't recall ever hearing about him being hurt. I was only asking why I never saw him dressed.

As far as Koni Dole, he is still on the team and still getting reps at LB. But the fact of the matter is he doesn't want a free pass to see the field just because of his leg. He wants to continue to try and earn playing time.
At the signing day shindig that I attended, there was a handout that included position overviews. For LB, it mentioned that Koni Dole was in a battle for the "Mike" linebacker position with Walker Cozzie and Austin Barrette. It was a little surprising to me since I think of MLBs as weighing around 225 to 235 since they have a lot of run-stopping responsibility. Last season's roster had Dole and Cozzie in the 205 to 210 range. Maybe they will get bigger this off-season. Barrette was listed at 220, so he would be close. I wouldn't be surprised to see Opland in the mix at MLB also. Let's face it. MLB is about the only opening at LB right now. Bignell and Hill are way ahead at OLB.

There was no mention of Gregg in the overview for DL.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:53 pm

Lydell wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

At the signing day shindig that I attended, there was a handout that included position overviews. For LB, it mentioned that Koni Dole was in a battle for the "Mike" linebacker position with Walker Cozzie and Austin Barrette. It was a little surprising to me since I think of MLBs as weighing around 225 to 235 since they have a lot of run-stopping responsibility. Last season's roster had Dole and Cozzie in the 205 to 210 range. Maybe they will get bigger this off-season. Barrette was listed at 220, so he would be close. I wouldn't be surprised to see Opland in the mix at MLB also. Let's face it. MLB is about the only opening at LB right now. Bignell and Hill are way ahead at OLB.

Cozzie is listed at 220 lbs. on the current roster from last season.

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:56 pm

A little off topic, but maybe now would be a good time to start the jersey number countdown. Maybe we can get past #40 before the season starts.

Punters are people too!!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:47 pm

Lydell wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

I wonder if Dole's listed weight is with or without his prosthetic though. Even if it's with, I would say it'd be safe to assume he would be 10-15 pounds heavier with the added muscle and skeletal structure of a normal leg. Most prosthetics are pretty lightweight so that 205-210 we could theoretically say is 220?

Bemiller49
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bemiller49 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:10 am

I know Opland is up to 220.

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:34 am

Bemiller49 wrote:I know Opland is up to 220.
Good for him! I would really like to see him compete for the starting MLB job . . I thought one of the McCarthy brothers would be in the starting spot for the MLB job as well

Bemiller49
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bemiller49 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:57 pm

I am surprised we haven't heard more about those brothers.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:48 am

I see on today's roster Pegues is listed at a Redshirt Freshman - I know he had reps last year, was he still able to redshirt?

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:09 am

JDoub wrote:I see on today's roster Pegues is listed at a Redshirt Freshman - I know he had reps last year, was he still able to redshirt?

Colter referenced this in the spring football thread, said something on the lines that Pegues, like Hadley, could have redshirted if he wanted to even though he played a little bit last year.

If your left, you aren’t right.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:13 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
JDoub wrote:I see on today's roster Pegues is listed at a Redshirt Freshman - I know he had reps last year, was he still able to redshirt?

Colter referenced this in the spring football thread, said something on the lines that Pegues, like Hadley, could have redshirted if he wanted to even though he played a little bit last year.
Good news (if indeed true). Both could be top shelf guys their 5th year. Pegues has ShawnJon-esque explosiveness.

McChesney is listed as a Sophmore, is that right?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:28 am

JDoub wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:

Good news (if indeed true). Both could be top shelf guys their 5th year. Pegues has ShawnJon-esque explosiveness.

McChesney is listed as a Sophmore, is that right?

Yes.

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:22 pm

RS FR Mandrell Worthy is leaving the team. Unsatisfied with playing time as per Skyline sports tweet yesterday.

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:42 pm

Bobcatsinmso wrote:RS FR Mandrell Worthy is leaving the team. Unsatisfied with playing time as per Skyline sports tweet yesterday.
He is a basketball player and was injured his first two seasons. Played a little bit this year as a redshirt freshman. My quick take, a good athlete who struggled offensively.

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:16 pm

That would explain why I was not seeing his name on the Football roster..... #-o Thanks Vim!

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG