2017's too early BSC favorite

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

2017's too early BSC favorite

Post by iaafan » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:07 pm

I think UND will win the BSC in their final year in the conference.

I think there's a group of four teams that are in contention starting with EWU, but the Eagles could easily struggle as they did in 2015. NAU has the potential for a big bounce back season with Cookus back under center. Weber State is building momentum and you never know when Cal Poly is punch through as they are always in the running, but seem to falter late in the year.

MSU and its little bro UM, along with Southern Utah could make some noise, but aren't in the same standing as the previous four. Portland State has an outside shot, then but there's a drop off to UNC, ISU, SAC and UCD.

UND
EWU
NAU
WSU
CP
MSU
UM
SUU
PSU
UNC
ISU
SAC
UCD
Last edited by iaafan on Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2017's too early BSC favorite

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:09 pm

iaafan wrote:I think UND will win the BSC in their final year in the conference.

I think there's a group of four teams that are in contention starting with EWU, but the Eagles could easily struggle as they did in 2015. NAU has the potential for a big bounce back season with Cookus back under center. Weber State is building momentum and you never know when Cal Poly is punch through as they are always in the running, but seem to falter late in the year.

MSU and its little bro UM, along with Southern Utah could make some noise, but aren't in the same standing as the previous four. Portland State has an outside shot, then but there's a drop off to UNC, ISU, SAC and UCD.

UND
EWU
NAU
WSU
MSU
UM
SUU
PSU
UNC
ISU
SAC
UCD
I think you forgot Cal Poly.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:18 pm

Well I talked about them, but spaced them out in my list. FIFY.

MTCowpoke22
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MTCowpoke22 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:39 pm

Good list. It'll be interesting to see exactly how EWU does with all the talent they lost. Personally, I'd put dUMb at the bottom of the list every year, but I suppose you're being realistic here.

There's the truth, and then there's what's reported in the papers.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:08 pm

It will be an interesting/exciting year for sure, there are about 7 teams that could realistically compete for the title.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:18 pm

iaafan wrote:I think UND will win the BSC in their final year in the conference.

UND
EWU
NAU
WSU
CP
MSU
UM
SUU
PSU
UNC
ISU
SAC
UCD
I think that's about as good a list as you can do at this point, iaa. Lots of unknowns right now... Who will be the griz QB, will Murray throw the ball better with a full year in college, what will EWU look like with all new staff and no Kupp, etc etc.
I think und and NAU are probably the teams I'd put at the top, just from a stability standpoint. Other than that I like the list.

desmond1957
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by desmond1957 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:03 pm

I'd put us above Weber and Cal Poly based on how our offense is shaping up as run-first with a good variety of ball carriers, some big lineman coming in and McGee polishing Murray into a real dual threat QB. I'm hoping/expecting a lot of high 30-low 40 point production combined with a D that should keep opponents in the 20's-low 30's. Realistic??

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:42 pm

iaafan wrote: UND
EWU
NAU
WSU
CP
MSU
UM
SUU
PSU
UNC
ISU
SAC
UCD
I'd be interested in seeing a strength of schedule ranking put together. Our on-field product will be better than last year but our schedule is rough so I'm not overly optimistic about our record.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:50 pm

desmond1957 wrote:I'd put us above Weber and Cal Poly based on how our offense is shaping up as run-first with a good variety of ball carriers, some big lineman coming in and McGee polishing Murray into a real dual threat QB. I'm hoping/expecting a lot of high 30-low 40 point production combined with a D that should keep opponents in the 20's-low 30's. Realistic??
We were one of the worst offenses in the country last season (and, no, I'm not exaggerating at all). How much do we get out of McGhee & Murray with a year of experience. its not crazy to see MSU being above .500. Nobody else really jumps out. Its hard to discount EWU. They've managed to reload every single time it looked like talent was leaving. UND was 1-3 in its OOC games last year, so while they may rise to the top, that's more indicative of the weakness in the Big Sky than anything else. Until someone proves otherwise, its the same as we finished last year:

EWU
UND
NAU

Some combination of:
WSU, UNCO, SUU, UM, MSU, Poly

Then:
SSU, Davis, ISU, PSU

That said, usually someone rises from the bottom to close to the top. I'm hoping its MSU!

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:44 am

Why all the love for NAU?
Just about every year people pick them to be near the top and then they flop.

ND had the joy of by far the easiest BSC schedule last year... look for them to finish near .500

And EWU. Wow a lot of change in one off season and might start 0-4

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

4thecats
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by 4thecats » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:02 am

Until we have a QB that can be a dual threat, I feel we will be nervous bottom again. How much will McGhee help? I'm not sure, but it's not McGhee playing again, it's still an inexperienced Murray.
Murray's success came from running for his life. You can NOT build a successful program off that. Teams will find different a way to shut the run down, then we are dead in the water.
The same thing happened to McGhee and Prukop. Once they had so much success running the ball, they became run 1sy QB's. Defenses eat this up.
If MSU can get a QB who is a solid passing QB, I believe we have the line, solid stable of RB's, good WR's, and a defense that has improved a ton.
This could be a great season if we can get a QB

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:04 am

BTW

Yes the Griz have too many questions that need answered... right now 7-4 or 6-5 team

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:28 am

Go Scats Go wrote:Why all the love for NAU?

ND had the joy of by far the easiest BSC schedule last year... look for them to finish near .500

I agree completely on the NAU. Man I need a shower after ever agreeing with you on anything!

The rest of it you are crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:55 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:

I agree completely on the NAU. Man I need a shower after ever agreeing with you on anything!

EWU has
Texas Tech on the road
North Dakota State at home
Fordham on the road (long trip) 10am start
UM on the road

Would not be surprised with all the O talent gone and new coaching, they might be pretty worn out traveling to Missoula.
Brutal schedule for EWU and then rivalry game on the road...

Siouxfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Siouxfan » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:35 pm

UND fb will be in the Big Sky until 2020, when the MVFC accepts us.

Rumor now is that the Big Ten will accept us as an associate hockey member, so why not go entirely Midwest based?

Before, we wanted more FBS teams to add Hockey, like B12 and PAC12 schools. That has at least been partially realized with Ariz St starting it and Colorado, Utah and UNLV talking about it. But our administration wanted a western focus for fans to benefit hockey. Now that has changed.

We will have to leave a parting gift of sweeping all the Big Sky revenue sports before we leave. This year, we have already won fb and vb, and are ahead in mbb and wbb. Those teams are all still young, so we will be favored next year too.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:11 pm

4thecats wrote:Until we have a QB that can be a dual threat, I feel we will be nervous bottom again. How much will McGhee help? I'm not sure, but it's not McGhee playing again, it's still an inexperienced Murray.
Murray's success came from running for his life. You can NOT build a successful program off that. Teams will find different a way to shut the run down, then we are dead in the water.
The same thing happened to McGhee and Prukop. Once they had so much success running the ball, they became run 1sy QB's. Defenses eat this up.
If MSU can get a QB who is a solid passing QB, I believe we have the line, solid stable of RB's, good WR's, and a defense that has improved a ton.
McGhee a run-1st QB? I may be misremembering, but I would NEVER call DM a run-1st QB. In his first collegiate game (at Wazzu), he made plays with his arm and vision I'd never seen an MSU QB make. Made me say WOW. Almost his entire career, he scrambled to buy time in the passing game and mostly ran the ball judiciously. Totally different from Prukop's style and an this year's extremely raw Murray...

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:37 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
4thecats wrote:Until we have a QB that can be a dual threat, I feel we will be nervous bottom again. How much will McGhee help? I'm not sure, but it's not McGhee playing again, it's still an inexperienced Murray.
McGhee a run-1st QB? I may be misremembering, but I would NEVER call DM a run-1st QB. In his first collegiate game (at Wazzu), he made plays with his arm and vision I'd never seen an MSU QB make. Made me say WOW. Almost his entire career, he scrambled to buy time in the passing game and mostly ran the ball judiciously. Totally different from Prukop's style and an this year's extremely raw Murray...

Yeah, I believe McGhee only had around 1100 career rushing yards. Murray had 860 this past year alone.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:57 pm

Go Scats Go wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

EWU has
Texas Tech on the road
UM on the road

Would not be surprised with all the O talent gone and new coaching, they might be pretty worn out traveling to Missoula.
And our schedule is equally as bad/good as theirs...
Washington State, away, SDSU home, North Dakota away, Weber, PSU home, EWU away... just to get warmed up!

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:11 am

grizzh8r wrote:
Yup. Agree with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:58 am

Go Scats Go wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

EWU has
Texas Tech on the road
UM on the road

EWU is going to be favored in 2 of those. Tough games, yes, but 0-4? The Eags most notable losses are at WR, where they have walk-ons that would start at every other team in the BSC. Losing Baldwin is tough, but given how deep and talented their roster is and the continuity in the program, its pretty crazy to think they are going to fall much.

I agree with GSG that UND & NAU are both way overrated, I just don't see anyone thats clearly better.