2017's too early BSC favorite

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2017's too early BSC favorite

Post by grizzh8r » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:15 pm

77matcat wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
4thecats wrote:Until we have a QB that can be a dual threat, I feel we will be nervous bottom again. How much will McGhee help? I'm not sure, but it's not McGhee playing again, it's still an inexperienced Murray.
Murray's success came from running for his life. You can NOT build a successful program off that. Teams will find different a way to shut the run down, then we are dead in the water.
The same thing happened to McGhee and Prukop. Once they had so much success running the ball, they became run 1sy QB's. Defenses eat this up.
If MSU can get a QB who is a solid passing QB, I believe we have the line, solid stable of RB's, good WR's, and a defense that has improved a ton.
This could be a great season if we can get a QB
McGhee a run-1st QB? I may be misremembering, but I would NEVER call DM a run-1st QB. In his first collegiate game (at Wazzu), he made plays with his arm and vision I'd never seen an MSU QB make. Made me say WOW. Almost his entire career, he scrambled to buy time in the passing game and mostly ran the ball judiciously. Totally different from Prukop's style and an this year's extremely raw Murray...
Yup. Agree with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Good to know other people's memory jives with mine... no doubt McGhee made numerous big plays running the ball in his illustrious career, but the plays I remember most were when he bought time with his scrambling ability and made a drive or game saving throw. I would give my eye teeth for Bobcat Football to have had him for 4 years with just one OC...

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:43 pm

onceacat wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:Why all the love for NAU?
Just about every year people pick them to be near the top and then they flop.

ND had the joy of by far the easiest BSC schedule last year... look for them to finish near .500

And EWU. Wow a lot of change in one off season and might start 0-4
I agree completely on the NAU. Man I need a shower after ever agreeing with you on anything!

The rest of it you are crazy.
EWU has
Texas Tech on the road
North Dakota State at home
Fordham on the road (long trip) 10am start
UM on the road

Would not be surprised with all the O talent gone and new coaching, they might be pretty worn out traveling to Missoula.
Brutal schedule for EWU and then rivalry game on the road...
EWU is going to be favored in 2 of those. Tough games, yes, but 0-4? The Eags most notable losses are at WR, where they have walk-ons that would start at every other team in the BSC. Losing Baldwin is tough, but given how deep and talented their roster is and the continuity in the program, its pretty crazy to think they are going to fall much.

I agree with GSG that UND & NAU are both way overrated, I just don't see anyone thats clearly better.
I think losing ALL your O coaches except the OL coach they moved to HC... Will hurt them.

But yes EWU s most likely 2-2 or 1-3

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:26 pm

Go Scats Go wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

ND had the joy of by far the easiest BSC schedule last year... look for them to finish near .500

I agree completely on the NAU. Man I need a shower after ever agreeing with you on anything!

EWU has
Texas Tech on the road
UM on the road

Would not be surprised with all the O talent gone and new coaching, they might be pretty worn out traveling to Missoula.
EWU is going to be favored in 2 of those. Tough games, yes, but 0-4? The Eags most notable losses are at WR, where they have walk-ons that would start at every other team in the BSC. Losing Baldwin is tough, but given how deep and talented their roster is and the continuity in the program, its pretty crazy to think they are going to fall much.

I agree with GSG that UND & NAU are both way overrated, I just don't see anyone thats clearly better.
I think losing ALL your O coaches except the OL coach they moved to HC... Will hurt them.

We would all like to think Eastern would be 1-3, but my prediction is they'll be 3-1. They have maybe the best quarterback in the FCS in Gubrud. Eastern won't lose a step.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:29 am

Common Cat wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

EWU has
Texas Tech on the road
UM on the road

We would all like to think Eastern would be 1-3, but my prediction is they'll be 3-1. They have maybe the best quarterback in the FCS in Gubrud. Eastern won't lose a step.
I agree with this. I suppose there's a chance that they take a step back with all the coaching change but I wouldn't put any money on that. They've been head and shoulders better than anyone else in the big Sky for several years now and I don't expect that to change in 2017.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:41 am

Common Cat wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

EWU has
Texas Tech on the road
UM on the road

EWU was supposed to drop off when they lost those 3 WRs to the NFL. Then the Eags replaced them with the best WR in FCS history and two other potential NFL draft prospects.

EWU was supposed to drop off after VA left for Oregon. They replaced him with Gage Gubrud, who arguably had a better year than VA as a sophomore. And they've got a backup QB in Reiley Hennessy that would start at 11 other Big Sky schools.

They put together one of the best recruiting classes in FCS this year to add to a team that is already deeper offensively than any other team I've seen play in FCS.

Now EWU is supposed to drop off because they lost their HC & offensive staff. I'm not saying it won't be an adjustment, but nothing in EWUs history makes me want to be against them.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:33 pm

I can't see a playoff team like Eastern being that worse off this year, but in a couple of years they certainly may be. I believe Reilly Hennessey signed with CWU and won't be playing at Eastern any more.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:51 pm

onceacat wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

EWU has
Texas Tech on the road
UM on the road

EWU was supposed to drop off when they lost those 3 WRs to the NFL. Then the Eags replaced them with the best WR in FCS history and two other potential NFL draft prospects.

EWU was supposed to drop off after VA left for Oregon. They replaced him with Gage Gubrud, who arguably had a better year than VA as a sophomore. And they've got a backup QB in Reiley Hennessy that would start at 11 other Big Sky schools.

They put together one of the best recruiting classes in FCS this year to add to a team that is already deeper offensively than any other team I've seen play in FCS.

Now EWU is supposed to drop off because they lost their HC & offensive staff. I'm not saying it won't be an adjustment, but nothing in EWUs history makes me want to be against them.

Hennessy transferred out to Central Wash. He will be awesome. Agree wth all else that you said. They won't miss a beat. Gubrud is incredible and as he goes so does their offense.

CPACAT
Member # Retired

Post by CPACAT » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:20 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

EWU has
Texas Tech on the road
UM on the road

Hennessy transferred out to Central Wash. He will be awesome. Agree wth all else that you said. They won't miss a beat. Gubrud is incredible and as he goes so does their offense.
Case Cookus. One injury can change things a lot.

IYAACYAS

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:48 pm

CPACAT wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

EWU has
Texas Tech on the road
UM on the road

+1 he's the reason NAU shouldn't be overlooked.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:51 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
CPACAT wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

EWU has
Texas Tech on the road
UM on the road

That and playing with the best home field advantage in all of college football. Flagstaff at 7500 ft is like starting with a 6 point advantage.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:26 am

[quote="onceacat"][quote="Common Cat"][quote="Go Scats Go"][quote="onceacat"][quote="Go Scats Go"][quote="BigBruceBaker"][quote="Go Scats Go"]Why all the love for NAU?

And EWU. Wow a lot of change in one off season and might start 0-4[/quote]

[/quote]

EWU has
Texas Tech on the road
UM on the road

Brutal schedule for EWU and then rivalry game on the road...[/quote]

I agree with GSG that UND & NAU are both way overrated, I just don't see anyone thats clearly better.[/quote]

I think losing [b]ALL[/b] your O coaches except the OL coach they moved to HC... Will hurt them.

But yes EWU s most likely 2-2 or 1-3[/quote]
We would all like to think Eastern would be 1-3, but my prediction is they'll be 3-1. They have maybe the best quarterback in the FCS in Gubrud. Eastern won't lose a step.[/quote]

Now EWU is supposed to drop off because they lost their HC & offensive staff. I'm not saying it won't be an adjustment, but nothing in EWUs history makes me want to be against them.[/quote]

EWU was supposed to have a drop off from 2007 to 2008 when it hired a new coach (Baldwin). EWU did have a dropoff. From 9-4 to 6-5.
EWU was supposed to have a drop off (due to tough schedule and no Taiwan Jones) in 2011 (year after national championship). They started 0-4 and finished 6-5.
EWU was supposed to have a drop off (lost Vernon Adams and Quincy Forte) in 2015. They finished 6-5.

So there's plenty of history of EWU having drop offs, but they always rebound quickly from it.

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:42 pm

CPACAT wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

EWU has
Texas Tech on the road
UM on the road

Very true. What is maybe more frightening is they have a redshirt freshman in the wings named Eric Barriere. Kid is supposed to give even Gubrud a run for his money this year. Those in the know are saying Barriere will be Vernon Adams with more speed and ability. QBU will not miss a beat IMO.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:38 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
CPACAT wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

EWU has
Texas Tech on the road
UM on the road

What about that big WR that NAU has/had? Did he graduate?

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:12 pm

Emmanuel Butler. I think he's a senior. But gotta have a QB to throw to him.