Armstrong new OC

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Armstrong new OC

Post by HelenaCat95 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:55 am

Search to begin for new Oline coach.
All according to Colter. If you're not subscribed, you're missing a lot.

canyoncat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Armstrong new OC

Post by canyoncat » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:14 pm

Congrats, Armstrong will do well!

GO CATS!!!

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:39 pm

Agreed. He's a great guy, and great coach. And a Helena guy.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:44 pm

I'm interested to hear his interview and his vision for the offense. I never really got the impression that Messingham had an identity or calling card for his offense.

In interviews he said he likes the power running game, but I'm not sure if that is his identity or if that's what he said because that's what choate wanted.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:17 pm

Good luck coach Armstrong!! Go Cats.

Punters are people too!!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:52 pm

wbtfg wrote:I'm interested to hear his interview and his vision for the offense. I never really got the impression that Messingham had an identity or calling card for his offense.

In interviews he said he likes the power running game, but I'm not sure if that is his identity or if that's what he said because that's what choate wanted.
Even with a pro style QB in Brugg we had no power run game. The most "power" we had was out of the diamond formation. We never truly had a power run game imo so I'd say it was because that's what Choate wanted. I will say Mess did a better job of adapting late in the season. Congrats to Armstrong, looking forward to seeing what the offense looks like. He definitely knows how to involve his playmakers.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:30 pm

Wonder if that changes Murray's future?

What kind of offense did he run at Rocky?

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:52 pm

UPDATED: Messingham leaving MSU for OC position at NDSU; Choate promotes Armstrong to OC - http://skylinesportsmt.com/messingham-to-ndsu/

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:03 pm

From MSU:
BOZEMAN, Mont. – Montana State football coach Jeff Choate elevated Brian Armstrong to the offensive coordinator position Tuesday after Courtney Messingham, who filled that role last season, left the Bobcat program.

Montana State’s offensive line coach last fall, Armstrong came to MSU after a successful tenure as head coach and offensive coordinator at Rocky Mountain College in Billings. Armstrong served as head coach from 2009-15, landing Frontier Conference Coach of the Year honors twice, after working as the program’s offensive coordinator and offensive line coach in 2007-08.

“I thought Brian did a great job with the offensive line,” Choate said of a unit that helped MSU finish 17th in the FCS in rushing offense and 14th in red zone offense in 2016. Senior guard JP Flynn earned Third Team All-America and First Team All-Big Sky honors. “He’s an excellent football coach, and he coordinated some prolific offenses at Rocky Mountain. He’s worked in this capacity before and our offense will move forward without missing a beat.”

Under Messingham’s direction in 2016, the Bobcat offense transitioned to true freshman Chris Murray at quarterback mid-season and won the final two games of the year while averaging 25.6 points (11th in the Big Sky) and 367.9 yards (12th) per game. “Courtney did an outstanding job last season,” Choate said. “The offense improved as the season progressed and he was able to adapt and adjust to injuries and personnel changes and the things that came along. He has a long relationship with (NDSU head coach) Chris Klieman, and I wish him the best.”

Choate indicated that he plans to add an offensive line coach to manage day-to-day functions of that group.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:13 pm

I like how quickly this happened. Tells me Choate has a lot of confidence in Armstrong.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

imacat

Post by imacat » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:19 pm

I am on the other side of this. I don't like this move. We had an opportunity to bring in a bright (probably young) mind to an offense that obviously needed help. My fear is that our offensive struggles will carry into the 2017 season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ImagineSanta
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ImagineSanta » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:24 pm

imacat wrote:I am on the other side of this. I don't like this move. We had an opportunity to bring in a bright (probably young) mind to an offense that obviously needed help. My fear is that our offensive struggles will carry into the 2017 season.

Who and from where? The coaching carousel is at the tail end for the time being, it's not like there would be people lining up at the door. This was probably his best and only move.

I think you don't get it. Sleeping in until 6 won't get many people very far in life, especially if they want to play on Sunday.
-Cat Grad

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:56 pm

imacat wrote:I am on the other side of this. I don't like this move. We had an opportunity to bring in a bright (probably young) mind to an offense that obviously needed help. My fear is that our offensive struggles will carry into the 2017 season.

This total douche bag from Billings, who played ball for MSU, kept whining to me about how Choate, Armstrong and Robertson were NAIA coaches and that they couldn't cut it in the FCS. I told him Bobby (Louisville top 10 several weeks and Heisman trophy winner) and Paul Petrino (took Idaho, yeah Idaho, to a bowl game (and won!)) this year are NAIA guys and are doing okay. Rich Rodriguez to name another was NAIA.

I don't like bringing in head coaches from lower ranks, but assistant coaches come in all forms.

toM StUber

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:09 pm

I like both of these coaching moves. I think it's the right direction to move the offensive line coach up to the offensive coordinator and hire a new offensive line coach and work with him. I look forward to the offense generating 45 points per game on the ground and the defense shutting down Stone Cold the offense.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:21 pm

If Ash had promoted from within his staff. We most likely would of never been playing OC carousel.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:48 pm

I like everything about this move. Coach Armstrong had very productive and if I remember right, rather explosive offenses at Rocky. I think he gives Coach Choate and the Bobcat program a potentially long-term fit at this position and we won't have to be switching coordinators every two to five years. It was obvious at the practices I watched he has a good rapport, kind of Coach Mac-ish, with the players. I thought Coach Mess was a good guy and nice to visit with, I just had a hard time figuring out if he was the right guy or not. My gutt told me no. With Coach McGee on board, I believe this will work out. I like the fact that there was no hesitation or waiting period;it shows a ton of confidence in Coach Armstrong and that should make the players feel positive as well. GO CATS GO!!

tdub

Post by tdub » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:56 pm

I'm sure Coach Mess was a nice guy and he did fine last year as the season went on. But something about him didn't seem to fit the mold of what Choate is building. Felt like his hire was along the lines of "ok, who's left that we can get at this point for a season?" My gut told me he'd only be a one season guy, so this didn't surprise me at all. Everyone else on staff is on the upswing of their careers, and Mess was later in his and heading down. Maybe I'm wrong about that. I really do wish him the best, though.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:07 pm

Coach Armstrong is 43, so not exactly nearing retirement age. He has successful OC and HC experience, albeit at the NAIA level. Perhaps most importantly, he's a guy who may well stick around and build some continuity for a few years and end the revolving door of OCs MSU has had for the past decade. If he's on the same page with Choate and they'll work well together, then I'm happy with the move - at least until MSU goes scoreless in the first quarter of next year's opener, then it's time to FIRE THE OC!

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:16 pm

Messingham from MSU to NDSU? We just shrunk the competitive gap with the bizon[emoji6]

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Post by bobcat92 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:21 pm

tdub wrote:I'm sure Coach Mess was a nice guy and he did fine last year as the season went on. But something about him didn't seem to fit the mold of what Choate is building. Felt like his hire was along the lines of "ok, who's left that we can get at this point for a season?" My gut told me he'd only be a one season guy, so this didn't surprise me at all. Everyone else on staff is on the upswing of their careers, and Mess was later in his and heading down. Maybe I'm wrong about that. I really do wish him the best, though.
+1

I thought it was interesting that DM was brought in to coach the QBs.