Armstrong new OC

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Re: Armstrong new OC

Post by catsrback76 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:50 pm

Coach Messingham was a scaffold not a wall! I believe Armstrong is going to be the wall and not a scaffold!

catpound
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catpound » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:07 am

This is a good hire that will bring some stability to the offense instead of the revolving door of OCs. Army and Choate are boys so they will stay together and develop a great offense. Also, Army was a successful HC at a large Florida HS before his Rocky success and still has FL connections, which never hurts!

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Armstrong new OC

Post by imacat » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:13 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]
This total douche bag from Billings, who played ball for MSU, kept whining to me about how Choate, Armstrong and Robertson were NAIA coaches and that they couldn't cut it in the FCS. I told him Bobby (Louisville top 10 several weeks and Heisman trophy winner) and Paul Petrino (took Idaho, yeah Idaho, to a bowl game (and won!)) this year are NAIA guys and are doing okay. Rich Rodriguez to name another was NAIA.

I don't like bringing in head coaches from lower ranks, but assistant coaches come in all forms.[/quote]

It is about the coach's abilities not where they came from. There are quality coaches at all levels.

I seem to recall a head coach hire from the NAIA ranks in the 1970s that turned ok IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catdaddy
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by catdaddy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:53 pm

imacat wrote:Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This total douche bag from Billings, who played ball for MSU, kept whining to me about how Choate, Armstrong and Robertson were NAIA coaches and that they couldn't cut it in the FCS. I told him Bobby (Louisville top 10 several weeks and Heisman trophy winner) and Paul Petrino (took Idaho, yeah Idaho, to a bowl game (and won!)) this year are NAIA guys and are doing okay. Rich Rodriguez to name another was NAIA.

I don't like bringing in head coaches from lower ranks, but assistant coaches come in all forms.[/quote]

It is about the coach's abilities not where they came from. There are quality coaches at all levels.

I seem to recall a head coach hire from the NAIA ranks in the 1970s that turned ok IMO.

Beau Baldwin played NAIA ball, and got his start at Central when they were still NAIA. He's done alright.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:38 pm

WATCH: Montana State Football Introduction : OC Brian Armstrong
http://skylinesportsmt.com/montana-stat ... armstrong/
Last edited by Colter_Nuanez on Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:07 pm

My only concern with this move is Armstrong seemed to do a great job with the O-Line. If the new O-line coach can't match that ability do we get better or worse?

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:09 pm

gtapp wrote:My only concern with this move is Armstrong seemed to do a great job with the OLine. If the new Oline coach can't match that talent do we get better or worse?
Good question.....I would imagine Armstrong will mentor the new OL coach.

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:24 am

Army said something about being suprised that Mess left because they thought they were pretty much through that time. So I'm curious as to who we could even get for the OL at this point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:49 am

Here's what Armstrong said about Murray in the Gazette:

“I think the perception of Chris is that he can’t throw the ball, but I don’t really believe that at all. I really believe he’s going to be able to throw it good enough when he understands who he’s throwing it to and when (the ball’s) got to come out, the rhythm and the timing of the whole thing.”

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:05 pm

I am not sure how I feel about this move............ gonna take the wait and see approach.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

jdevries
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jdevries » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:28 pm

JDoub wrote:Messingham from MSU to NDSU? We just shrunk the competitive gap with the bizon[emoji6]

Haha... Yup
bobcat92 wrote:
tdub wrote:I'm sure Coach Mess was a nice guy and he did fine last year as the season went on. But something about him didn't seem to fit the mold of what Choate is building. Felt like his hire was along the lines of "ok, who's left that we can get at this point for a season?" My gut told me he'd only be a one season guy, so this didn't surprise me at all. Everyone else on staff is on the upswing of their careers, and Mess was later in his and heading down. Maybe I'm wrong about that. I really do wish him the best, though.
+1

I thought it was interesting that DM was brought in to coach the QBs.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Football games are won at the LOS

jdevries
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jdevries » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:29 pm

iaafan wrote:Here's what Armstrong said about Murray in the Gazette:

“I think the perception of Chris is that he can’t throw the ball, but I don’t really believe that at all. I really believe he’s going to be able to throw it good enough when he understands who he’s throwing it to and when (the ball’s) got to come out, the rhythm and the timing of the whole thing.”
Army is right on.... His offense will also "help" Murray a ton... Watch....

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Football games are won at the LOS

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:29 pm

I am excited about Coach Armstrong getting the OC position for many reasons, but I’d have to say my main reason is because Coach Choate thought he was the best person for the job. When I think about this past season and how the CATS got better at the end of the season instead of the other way around gives me confidence in the direction of the program and specifically the decisions Coach Choate is making.
I also think that if Coach Armstrong would have been given the OC position last year it very possibly could have been too soon for him to be successful. I think similar to having to start a 17 year old at QB, having an NAIA coach be your OC in his 1st year at the DI level would be a recipe for growing pains big time. However, with Coach Armstrong’s background, Coach Choate’s confidence in him and the fact that he has a year of experience at the DI level with this team seems to me to be a justified reason for optimism. Here are some facts to mull over;

CATS 2015 stats in the BSC;
Offense……………1st @ 42ppg and 1st @ 520ypg
Defense…………..8th @ 34ppg and 10th @ 472ypg

CATS 2016 stats in the BSC;
Offense……………11th @ 26ppg and 12th @ 368ypg
Defense…………..2nd @ 25ppg and 3rd @ 389ypg

It’s amazing how much change there can be from one year to the next. Although I do remember that between 1983 & 1985 I think the CATS won a total of 3 games those 2 years, with 2 of those 3 wins coming against the frizz each year, and then in between in 1984 we won the NC so it is not unprecedented.

Even though we lost Newell, Brekke, Flynn, and Barth, as well as others, on the offensive side of the ball, which likely leaves as big of a ‘leadership’ void as it does a ‘talent’ void, I still think we will be better on offense in 2017 than we were in 2016……because;
• Coach Choate & staffs’ 2nd season
• Murray’s 2nd season
• Nothing against Messingham, but I didn’t see anything not to make me think that Coach Armstrong won’t be an upgrade.
• Overall in 2016 the offensive roster was young
• DM as QB coach (edit)

Our Time of Possession was 29:44 per game in 2016. Assuming the CATS put a better offense on the field in 2017 that should improve that number, and thus help on the defensive side of the ball in 2017 as well. Remember we lost 3 conference games by a total of 11 points (UND by 2, SSU by 3, NAU by 6). Just a moderate improvement on the offensive side of the ball (I think it will be more than moderate) should put us on the plus side of .500 in 2017. Having Coach Armstrong as our OC I think is a step in that direction. GO CATS!

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:01 pm

imacat wrote:Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imacat~you win the historian-of-the month award. The Bobcats have indeed had two NAIA head coaches since they became an NCAA member. One by technicality and one is actual....and most won't believe who it was. When the Bobcats moved to the NCAA from the NAIA Rocky Mt. Conference in 1957 head coach Tony Storti stayed on during the transition..and went 8-2! He was replaced a year later by assistant Herb Agocs. Fast forward one coach to Jim Sweeney (who came from Agocs' staff). Sonny Holland was on Sweeney's staff, but left to take the HC at NAIA Western Montana. When Sweeney was hired as HC by Washington State in 1968 his assistant Tom Parac took over. After three seasons and a 9-20 record Parac moved on to AD and hired Sonny Holland....1971. Two years later the Cats were once again conference champions and were again National Champions in 1976. You are very right...he did turn out OK!

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:31 pm

Like many people, I would like to know what Coach Armstrong's play calling style while at Rocky was like. I never watched them play, but followed them through the news. I remember that his teams were pretty potent offensively and nationally ranked in the NAIA. For those of you that followed his Rocky teams, please share with us what you saw and what you liked and didn't like. I think this is a great move. More importantly, I think this is a smart move. I have been told Coach Armstrong is very analytical and has a very good offensive mind. With a year in the Big Sky, that will help his understanding.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:40 pm

superbobcat wrote:Like many people, I would like to know what Coach Armstrong's play calling style while at Rocky was like. I never watched them play, but followed them through the news. I remember that his teams were pretty potent offensively and nationally ranked in the NAIA. For those of you that followed his Rocky teams, please share with us what you saw and what you liked and didn't like. I think this is a great move. More importantly, I think this is a smart move. I have been told Coach Armstrong is very analytical and has a very good offensive mind. With a year in the Big Sky, that will help his understanding.
My final year of school at Rocky was Armstrong's first year of being the head coach and over the 7 years he was there I watched only a few games, due to the fact I was in Bozeman for the bobcat games, but the games I did watch the offense was a Texas Tech style offense. They threw the ball 50 plus times every week and that is why they struggled to stay consistent. I had a few buddies on the team, whom played defense and it was hard on them since they were always on the field. They also said defense was an after thought at Rocky while he was there because they were only worried about outscoring the other team.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:45 pm

^ The buddies I am referring to graduated two years ago from Rocky, so they were there when Armstrong was an established coach at Rocky. When I mean I only saw a few games, I would say I watched probably 10 plus games in that 7 year span.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:46 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
superbobcat wrote:Like many people, I would like to know what Coach Armstrong's play calling style while at Rocky was like. I never watched them play, but followed them through the news. I remember that his teams were pretty potent offensively and nationally ranked in the NAIA. For those of you that followed his Rocky teams, please share with us what you saw and what you liked and didn't like. I think this is a great move. More importantly, I think this is a smart move. I have been told Coach Armstrong is very analytical and has a very good offensive mind. With a year in the Big Sky, that will help his understanding.
My final year of school at Rocky was Armstrong's first year of being the head coach and over the 7 years he was there I watched only a few games, due to the fact I was in Bozeman for the bobcat games, but the games I did watch the offense was a Texas Tech style offense. They threw the ball 50 plus times every week and that is why they struggled to stay consistent. I had a few buddies on the team, whom played defense and it was hard on them since they were always on the field. They also said defense was an after thought at Rocky while he was there because they were only worried about outscoring the other team.
But obviously Choate isn't going to employ that type of offense as HC. We know that. If you guys are looking for formations, Armstrong likes to run offense out of the shotgun primarily.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:48 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
But obviously Choate isn't going to employ that type of offense as HC. We know that. If you guys are looking for formations, Armstrong likes to run offense out of the shotgun primarily.
You are correct good sir. I would say exclusively out of the shotgun while he was the head coach at Rocky.

pckrfndvdarm
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by pckrfndvdarm » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:57 pm

The coach is going to run his QB out of shotgun, under center, pistol, or whatever the situation calls for. He has tobe able to adapt to what is given. I have never know a coach who is completely satisfied with his product. He may be pleased, but never completely satisfied. I think Coach Armstrong has been through so many different sets, that he will be able to come up with a good plan for what is given. Patience, confidence, and adaptability will go a long way down the path of success. We all know that the best is yet to come.