NDSU to Hire your OC??

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: NDSU to Hire your OC??

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:26 pm

The QB position and passing game needs to improve dramatically in '17. I personally don't care who or how that gets accomplished.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:10 pm

catscat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
catscat wrote:Can't say I'm at all sorry to see Messingham go. In my opinion his play calling was suspect and his offense didn't match the capabilities and the strengths of the personnel. I think MSU maybe just got better and NDSU is on its way to becoming ho hum.
He had an offense that won Cat-Griz by completing two passes all game with basically a RB/WR playing QB. That's not to say Murray can't develop as a passer, but Messingham absolutely had a gameplan playing to his QB's skillset.

If that's not coaching to the strengths of your players, what is?
If we allow that he coached to the strength of his players in Cat/griz (a great win, by the way), we played an 11 game season. His problem was that it took him spring ball, fall camp, and10 games to figure it out. Or maybe he just had better athletes and got lucky. I take it you think Messingham was a great coach and OC and are sorry to see him leave. And you are entitled to that opinion. It just doesn't match mine.
I don't really have an opinion on him other than what I saw from afar last season. Nothing I've ever posted would indicate I think he's a great coach. I do think that when you're limited at QB options and/or skillset, it's going to be a tough season. Bruggman was supposed to be a passer who would open up a power running and play-action passing offense. When it became clear he wasn't that QB, Murray was the best option left, but his style of play and strengths were basically the opposite of what Bruggman was supposed to be. After Prukop left the offense was going to struggle anyhow and that was apparent to most of us who weren't thinking from an emotional place, but rather a logical place about replacing him.

I'm sure Choate and MSU will be just fine without Mess, and I wish him luck, but not too much success, in Fargo. His gameplan against the Griz was brilliant and he wasn't afraid to stick with it, so he's always going to be 1-0 as the MSU OC at Washinton-Bobcat Stadium.
Last edited by PapaG on Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:16 pm

[quote="Hawks86"]The QB position and passing game needs to improve dramatically in '17. I personally don't care who or how that gets accomplished.[/quote]

The win-loss record needs to improve dramatically. I personally don't care how that gets accomplished.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:19 pm

iaafan wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:The QB position and passing game needs to improve dramatically in '17. I personally don't care who or how that gets accomplished.
The win-loss record needs to improve dramatically. I personally don't care how that gets accomplished.
No doubt. I don't care if they run the Solomonson triple-option if it means a 9-2 season and a home playoff game.

The good part is it took Gregorak less than a season to turn the defense from a liability to a strength, and those young guys are only going to be better next year. Thanks Stitt! Enjoy that Semore "Swiss Cheese" run defense again next year!

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:37 pm

91catAlum wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
Air Force Cat wrote:Since nobody else is willing to do it, I'll be the bad guy.

I'm glad that Mess is gone. I believe that he is a great guy and has a good football mind, but not for MSU and especially not the Big Sky. Our program took a step on the defensive side last year that would have put us at 8-4 easily if we could score 25+ a game. That didn't happen. Yes I know, other teams would have scored more if we lit up the scoreboard. But we didn't. Never even got close to striking a match. Good luck and best wishes at NDSU, but thank you for leaving.

On that note, I'm excited to see Army as the OC. Should be a well balanced offense similar to what he ran at Rocky, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if we see the O taking more big shots down the field with our speed and playmakers

GO CATS!
Now, if we can only get a QB to be able to throw it down the field.... oh wait, we got one coming in! :)
I think we already have one in Murray. He will have an entire off season to get stronger and work on his passing. I know a lot of folks on the board don't think he is our long term guy, but why can't he be? He's an athlete, I'm confident he can become a better passer with 9 months of hard work. I honestly think Armstrong + Mcghee will be a shot in the arm for him. Armstrong knows who his play makers are and how to get them the ball. He won't under utlilize anyone and he will use play action plenty. All of that will help Murray.
I agree. People tend to remember the griz game where he only completed 2 of 9 passes. But in the games prior to that, he completed more than 2 throws, he even threw some TD passes.
Not saying he was Tom Brady, but still, he's better than he gets credit for.

If a guy who can run like he does, can improve a bit in the passing game, he's going to be a serious, serious weapon at QB. The kid runs better than Prukop, both quickness AND flat out speed. And that's saying something because Prukop was amazing running the ball.
I still remember in slow motion the laser he threw to Barth that got dropped in the end zone in an earlier game. An off season of weight lifting and working with McGhee is going to do wonders for improving his skills. That also gives Rovig time to bulk up, learn the play book, and come in as the new star later in his college career. Like Brady replacing Bledsoe in New England. 8)

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Post by bobcat92 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:46 pm

95bcfb wrote:This also surprises me. I can't say that I am disappointed to see him go. I think that the verdict was still out on him. It is hard to judge a coach on one year so I was willing to give him another year. However, our offense went from being one of the top offenses in the nation to being one of the worst. Yes he won his last two games and the offence looked better but that was against two really bad teams (yes the griz were really bad). He was placed in a tough position with the QB position but then again he was their position coach. No one seems hesitant to credit the coaches for the incredible turn around that the defence made last year and I still think that the coaches should be credited at least in part for the incredible down turn that the offence made. Like I said I was willing to give him another year but I see nothing from last year that makes me sad to see him leave and I would not be supper thrilled if I were an NDSU fan. If he were such a good coach why would we have got another QB coach? I am super stoked at getting DM back but do you think we would have done that if we were satisfied about the job that the QB coach was doing. Just my thoughts. On a side note I did think that of all the positions on offence the Oline did the best. I don't know anything about Armstrong as a coach but I am excited to see more consistency on offence and look forward to seeing what he can do.
You said it better than I could. I have to agree he didn't seem to fit the mold of the other staff. Up and coming in the coaching profession. If he was a sought after OC he wouldn't have been in a non coaching position before he came to MSU. Why NDSU hired him is beyond me. They could have their pick of a lot of other coaches. Certainly a head scratcher.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:46 pm

bobcat92 wrote:
95bcfb wrote:This also surprises me. I can't say that I am disappointed to see him go. I think that the verdict was still out on him. It is hard to judge a coach on one year so I was willing to give him another year. However, our offense went from being one of the top offenses in the nation to being one of the worst. Yes he won his last two games and the offence looked better but that was against two really bad teams (yes the griz were really bad). He was placed in a tough position with the QB position but then again he was their position coach. No one seems hesitant to credit the coaches for the incredible turn around that the defence made last year and I still think that the coaches should be credited at least in part for the incredible down turn that the offence made. Like I said I was willing to give him another year but I see nothing from last year that makes me sad to see him leave and I would not be supper thrilled if I were an NDSU fan. If he were such a good coach why would we have got another QB coach? I am super stoked at getting DM back but do you think we would have done that if we were satisfied about the job that the QB coach was doing. Just my thoughts. On a side note I did think that of all the positions on offence the Oline did the best. I don't know anything about Armstrong as a coach but I am excited to see more consistency on offence and look forward to seeing what he can do.
You said it better than I could. I have to agree he didn't seem to fit the mold of the other staff. Up and coming in the coaching profession. If he was a sought after OC he wouldn't have been in a non coaching position before he came to MSU. Why NDSU hired him is beyond me. They could have their pick of a lot of other coaches. Certainly a head scratcher.
Pretty much my thoughts as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:47 pm

bobcat92 wrote:
Pretty much my thoughts as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdevries
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jdevries » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:25 pm

Some interesting facts.

CM has been coaching QBs and WRs for 26 years, arguably the two postions the Bobcats struggled at the most last year. He has never been part of a conference championship or even a playoff team. Ever. In 6 seasons as a D1 Offensive Coordinator his offenses contributed to only 13 conference wins. That's correct. Only 2 conference wins per year (exactly what the Bobcats got last season). He has never been at one location more than three years, and was fired multiple times by Head Coaches who cited his play calling, personnel choices, QB and WR play and in game decisions. At his last coaching job, their fans referred to him as "The Great Big Mess". They described his offense as a "Dumpster Fire". Not includimg my opinion of his offensive style and strategy, these were the reasons I was very critical of this hire from the start.

Sooner or later your PRODUCTION has to equal the opportunities your given.

Good luck NDSU. This is not the resume I would have expected a top tier program to choose.

Contrast that with the new OC. Twice named the Coach of the Year in the Frontier. Led offenses that broke school and conference records, including not one but two quarterbacks who set school and conference records. Army completely rebuilt and revitalized a "broken" football program from the ground up (along w/ AD Bruce Parker) which ultimately led to a new stadium and field turf! Army left his former school in a solid position and is a young coach on the rise!

This is a massive upgrade...

I watched Army call plays for years at Rocky and I could "feel" his influence on the last 3-4 games of the season. He understands a ball control passing game (think Brian Wright and Denarius McGhee) that compliments a foundational power running game (think Cody Kirk). He played up tempo out of the spread at Rocky which is a much better fit to the kids MSU has on the roster now. He did a fantastic job with a young Oline group last year and I think he's got one kid who could play on Sundays.

I cannot wait to see what Army and McGhee do with this offense!!!

Very exciting time to be a Bobcat fan!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Last edited by jdevries on Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Football games are won at the LOS

catdaddy
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by catdaddy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:20 pm

jdevries wrote:Some interesting facts.

CM has been coaching QBs and WRs for 26 years, arguably the two postions the Bobcats struggled at the most last year. He has never been part of a conference championship or even a playoff team. Ever. In 6 seasons as a D1 Offensive Coordinator his offenses contributed to only 13 conference wins. That's correct. Only 2 conference wins per year (exactly what the Bobcats got last season). He has never been at one location more than three years, and was fired multiple times by Head Coaches who cited his play calling, personnel choices, QB and WR play and in game decisions. At his last coaching job, their fans referred to him as "The Great Big Mess". They described his offense as a "Dumpster Fire". Not includimg my opinion of his offensive style and strategy, these were the reasons I was very critical of this hire from the start. Sooner or later your PRODUCTION has to equal the opportunities your given.

Good luck NDSU. This is not the resume I would have expected a top tier program to choose.

Contrast that with the new OC. Twice named the Coach of the Year in the Frontier. Led offenses that broke school and conference records, including not one but two quarterbacks who set school and conference records. Army completely rebuilt and revitalized a "broken" football program from the ground up (along w/ AD Bruce Parker) which ultimately led to a new stadium and field turf! Army left his former school in a great position and is a young coach on the rise!

I watched Army call plays for years at Rocky and I could "feel" his influence on the last 3-4 games of the season. He understands a ball control passing game (think Brian Wright and Denarius McGhee) that compliments a foundational power running game (think Cody Kirk). He played up tempo out of the spread at Rocky which is a much better fit to the kids MSU has on the roster now. He did a fantastic job with a very young Oline group last year and I think he's got one kid who could play on Sundays.

Some interesting points you bring up. Except don't credit Bruce Parker too much, he was only there Army's last two seasons (10-12 those two years). Army was 37-41 at Rocky, didn't exactly light it on fire. Definitely some things better about him than CM, but let's not pretend he was even in the top HC's in that league. They went to the playoffs once, a whopping one more time than teams that CM was a part of. And again, I do think you have a point with your post, for sure. But, Choate hired CM. His lack of success was evident before his one season in Bozeman.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:49 pm

catdaddy wrote:

CM has been coaching QBs and WRs for 26 years, arguably the two postions the Bobcats struggled at the most last year. He has never been part of a conference championship or even a playoff team. Ever. In 6 seasons as a D1 Offensive Coordinator his offenses contributed to only 13 conference wins. That's correct. Only 2 conference wins per year (exactly what the Bobcats got last season). He has never been at one location more than three years, and was fired multiple times by Head Coaches who cited his play calling, personnel choices, QB and WR play and in game decisions. At his last coaching job, their fans referred to him as "The Great Big Mess". They described his offense as a "Dumpster Fire". Not includimg my opinion of his offensive style and strategy, these were the reasons I was very critical of this hire from the start. Sooner or later your PRODUCTION has to equal the opportunities your given.

Contrast that with the new OC. Twice named the Coach of the Year in the Frontier. Led offenses that broke school and conference records, including not one but two quarterbacks who set school and conference records. Army completely rebuilt and revitalized a "broken" football program from the ground up (along w/ AD Bruce Parker) which ultimately led to a new stadium and field turf! Army left his former school in a great position and is a young coach on the rise!

I watched Army call plays for years at Rocky and I could "feel" his influence on the last 3-4 games of the season. He understands a ball control passing game (think Brian Wright and Denarius McGhee) that compliments a foundational power running game (think Cody Kirk). He played up tempo out of the spread at Rocky which is a much better fit to the kids MSU has on the roster now. He did a fantastic job with a very young Oline group last year and I think he's got one kid who could play on Sundays.

Some interesting points you bring up. Except don't credit Bruce Parker too much, he was only there Army's last two seasons (10-12 those two years). Army was 37-41 at Rocky, didn't exactly light it on fire. Definitely some things better about him than CM, but let's not pretend he was even in the top HC's in that league. They went to the playoffs once, a whopping one more time than teams that CM was a part of. And again, I do think you have a point with your post, for sure. But, Choate hired CM. His lack of success was evident before his one season in Bozeman.
I was one of those people that was pretty critical of Messingham over the course of the last season. And I agree that he was a head scratcher when he got hired. NDSU has top notch talent across the board, while the Cats were looking at a vacuum at a couple of positions. Its going to be interesting to see how NDSUs offense clicks next year.

I can't say that I was very impressed with the performance of ANY of the offensive coaches last year. I think there are a lot of good explanations for that: losses at QB and on the O-line, all new coaching staff, inexperience on the part of the coaching staff...By the end of the season, the O-line looked decent, but not great, and, in all fairness, that was with 3 returning starters, one of whom was a second team all-American, and two FBS drop downs.

I know the O-line suffered some injuries, but given the experience & talent they had to start the season, I think their performance was pretty average. I'm hoping it was mostly growing pains. I know that everyone has a ton of respect for Armstrong, which says a lot. But at this point, until the offense shows it can score more than 27 points in a game, the entire offensive staff is on a very short leash.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:04 pm

[quote="catdaddy"][quote="jdevries"]Some interesting facts.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk[/quote]

Some interesting points you bring up. Except don't credit Bruce Parker too much, he was only there Army's last two seasons (10-12 those two years). Army was 37-41 at Rocky, didn't exactly light it on fire. Definitely some things better about him than CM, but let's not pretend he was even in the top HC's in that league. They went to the playoffs once, a whopping one more time than teams that CM was a part of. And again, I do think you have a point with your post, for sure. But, Choate hired CM. His lack of success was evident before his one season in Bozeman.[/quote]

Do you follow Frontier football? This is Rocky we're talking about, so you need to put it into context. One trip to the playoffs and two coach of the year awards in seven seasons at Rocky is lighting it on fire in relative terms. Aside from that we're hiring an OC, not a HC. His offenses at Rocky were nightmares for DCs across the conference.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:25 pm

iaafan wrote:
catdaddy wrote:

Do you follow Frontier football? This is Rocky we're talking about, so you need to put it into context. One trip to the playoffs and two coach of the year awards in seven seasons at Rocky is lighting it on fire in relative terms. Aside from that we're hiring an OC, not a HC. His offenses at Rocky were nightmares for DCs across the conference.
This x100 Rocky was bad before he took over. Once he took over they started getting some recruits that Carroll and Dickinson State would have been getting. His offenses were high powered, he generally had sub par defenses which was why he was never really successful in terms of championships and playoff runs. But as was just pointed out we hired him as OC, not HC.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:28 pm

iaafan wrote:catsrback76 has been on the Rovig train for quite a while now. I really don't see Rovig beating out Murray unless he's enrolling early and taking part in spring drills. Murray would have to be having a worse time getting it together than Bruggman for that to happen. Not saying it can't happen, but it isn't like Murray isn't good. Murray will have gone through a complete cycle with the team by the time pre-season practices start. It would take quite a performance by Rovig to displace him.
I stand convicted! I LOVE Murray, but... and I hope with all the help he is getting from DMac he can change his stripes. I'd love to see his total package include a nice downfield throwing weapon, and if so, he'd be the guy. However, I think he is too talented as a runner to not get him the ball in space 15 times a game. :shock:

I also think Rovig should redshirt for all the obvious reasons, but once he does, I think he will assume the QB role...but, we shall see. Either way, we have to get more and better production from our QB and if we don't, don't think we won't see an incoming freshman take over...just like last year.

That said, Murray WILL be on the field every game this year in some fashion and he will be a huge part of our success!

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:43 am

catsrback76 wrote:
iaafan wrote:catsrback76 has been on the Rovig train for quite a while now. I really don't see Rovig beating out Murray unless he's enrolling early and taking part in spring drills. Murray would have to be having a worse time getting it together than Bruggman for that to happen. Not saying it can't happen, but it isn't like Murray isn't good. Murray will have gone through a complete cycle with the team by the time pre-season practices start. It would take quite a performance by Rovig to displace him.
I stand convicted! I LOVE Murray, but... and I hope with all the help he is getting from DMac he can change his stripes. I'd love to see his total package include a nice downfield throwing weapon, and if so, he'd be the guy. However, I think he is too talented as a runner to not get him the ball in space 15 times a game. :shock:

I also think Rovig should redshirt for all the obvious reasons, but once he does, I think he will assume the QB role...but, we shall see. Either way, we have to get more and better production from our QB and if we don't, don't think we won't see an incoming freshman take over...just like last year.

That said, Murray WILL be on the field every game this year in some fashion and he will be a huge part of our success!
Murray will be our QB, Armstrong said in an interview that they are going to build around what Murray does best. Which is my favorite part about Armstrong being the OC.

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:10 am

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

Murray will be our QB, Armstrong said in an interview that they are going to build around what Murray does best. Which is my favorite part about Armstrong being the OC.
Just like what a number of us were saying last year. \:D/
Coach Armstrong in the Gazette wrote: Obviously, (Murray) was a young, young guy last year. That being said, he is a prolific athlete. I wouldn’t say he is a prolific quarterback at this stage, but he can do some things that are going to give, and have given, defensive coaches in this league nightmares. So we need to take what he does well and build around that, and yet at the same time improve (on) his deficiencies and be able to throw the ball.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:23 am

catdaddy wrote:

Good lord it must be exhausting to be you! We figured out your Griz troll status after only 3 posts, get some new material because you really suck at what you do! :bag:

catdaddy
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by catdaddy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:21 am

RobertCats wrote:
catdaddy wrote:

Good lord it must be exhausting to be you! We figured out your Griz troll status after only 3 posts, get some new material because you really suck at what you do! :bag:
Ha, nice try bud. Definitely not a Griz fan. It's one more and done for Stitt happens. Just bringing up some other sides of topics. I hope Army does great, just not ready to jump all in. Why wasn't he hired as OC right out of the gate?