New DB Coach

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

New DB Coach

Post by GoCats18 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:02 pm

Just saw that Mark Orphey was announced as the new DB Coach. Welcome to the Bobcat family coach.

Punters are people too!!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: New DB Coach

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:10 pm

https://twitter.com/MSUBobcatsFB/status/829403663407919104

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:16 pm

https://twitter.com/WesMitchellGC/status/829415963590328333

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:16 pm

Looks like a young up and comer. Coached DB for his alma mater for a couple years, went to USC as a grad assistant for a few years after.

Looks like he was a two time all-SWAC CB at Texas Southern.

Sounds like a good hire.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:20 pm

https://twitter.com/msubobcats/status/829414110114750464

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:30 pm

So i'm going to come out and say it since no one else has. I know nothing of this guy, but his picture looks like he was more of a D lineman than a DB.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:08 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:So i'm going to come out and say it since no one else has. I know nothing of this guy, but his picture looks like he was more of a D lineman than a DB.
\:D/

dude, I resemble that remark -- I was so dang skinny back in the day no one thought I played football. Now?

them: "what position did you play?"
JDoub: "QB, RB, WR, S, OLB, P, PR, KR in high school, Safety in College"
them: "really?"
JDoub: "yes, really"
them: "really? wow. You look you played on the line, you must've been a big safety, what size were you"
JDoub: "6'2" 190-200, good size for a Safety"
them: "were you fast"
JDoub: "for a white guy, yes. 10.9 100M, 48.5 400M, 4.5-4.6 40"
them: "REALLY?"
JDoub: "bub, that was a long time ago. Have you ever heard of 'emotional intelligence'?"

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:11 pm

Welcome coach!

Nice to have SEC coaching experience on staff.

GA set the bar high - let that be a challenge to you :wink:

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:12 pm

MSU Welcome
http://www.msubobcats.com/news/2017/2/8 ... coach.aspx
Mark Orphey, part of the University of South Carolina's football staff the past four seasons, has joined the Montana State football staff as secondary coach, MSU coach Jeff Choate announced.

A product of Houston, Orphey played at Texas Southern. He served in a quality control capacity in 2013 before becoming a defensive graduate assistant for Will Muschamp in 2014. Choate coached on Muschamp's Florida staff in 2013.

"Mark is a young man who has coached in the SEC, been on the biggest stage, and was consistently impressive throughout the interview process. He portrayed confidence and poise and will be a terrific fit on our staff. He will bring ideas from Coach Muschamps and (defensive coordinator) Travaris Robinson, and will help build on the foundation that was set by Gerald Alexander (who accepted a position at Cal in January). I'm very excited to have Mark on board."

Orphey played at Texas Southern, finishing his career in the fall of 2010. He coached cornerbacks at his alma mater in 2010-12 before moving to South Carolina. Orphey started at TSU for three seasons, earning All-SWAC honors twice.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:18 pm

Another pipeline into the South, where the best football is played. Big fan of that.

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:52 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:So i'm going to come out and say it since no one else has. I know nothing of this guy, but his picture looks like he was more of a D lineman than a DB.
Go to his twitter - it's just a big shirt...

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:08 pm

JDoub wrote:
\:D/

dude, I resemble that remark -- I was so dang skinny back in the day no one thought I played football. Now?

them: "what position did you play?"
JDoub: "QB, RB, WR, S, OLB, P, PR, KR in high school, Safety in College"
them: "really?"
JDoub: "yes, really"
them: "really? wow. You look you played on the line, you must've been a big safety, what size were you"
JDoub: "6'2" 190-200, good size for a Safety"
them: "were you fast"
JDoub: "for a white guy, yes. 10.9 100M, 48.5 400M, 4.5-4.6 40"
them: "REALLY?"
JDoub: "bub, that was a long time ago. Have you ever heard of 'emotional intelligence'?"

Holy cow, you change your looks more than Michael jackson.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:11 pm

https://twitter.com/MarcusLattimore/status/829485698856128512 https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/829511009861767169

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:36 pm

Rich K wrote:MSU Welcome
Mark Orphey, part of the University of South Carolina's football staff the past four seasons, has joined the Montana State football staff as secondary coach, MSU coach Jeff Choate announced.

A product of Houston, Orphey played at Texas Southern. He served in a quality control capacity in 2013 before becoming a defensive graduate assistant for Will Muschamp in 2014. Choate coached on Muschamp's Florida staff in 2013.

"Mark is a young man who has coached in the SEC, been on the biggest stage, and was consistently impressive throughout the interview process. He portrayed confidence and poise and will be a terrific fit on our staff. He will bring ideas from Coach Muschamps and (defensive coordinator) Travaris Robinson, and will help build on the foundation that was set by Gerald Alexander (who accepted a position at Cal in January). I'm very excited to have Mark on board."

Orphey played at Texas Southern, finishing his career in the fall of 2010. He coached cornerbacks at his alma mater in 2010-12 before moving to South Carolina. Orphey started at TSU for three seasons, earning All-SWAC honors twice.

Reading this makes me know that Choate is the right man as head coach. It seems like he has so many connections. I was shocked when I saw that we were able to land 2 kids from FL and 1 from GA in this years recruiting class. Our name will get out there and this program will continue to head in the right direction. Just hope we don't see a lot of turnover in our coaching staff as that tends to happen when you get really good.

Punters are people too!!

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:34 pm

GoCats18 wrote:

Reading this makes me know that Choate is the right man as head coach. It seems like he has so many connections. I was shocked when I saw that we were able to land 2 kids from FL and 1 from GA in this years recruiting class. Our name will get out there and this program will continue to head in the right direction. Just hope we don't see a lot of turnover in our coaching staff as that tends to happen when you get really good.

The turnover for Montana State's defensive backs coach will always be really high regardless of performance by the coach or the players. Every staff is different in the way the head coach allots salaries but it's been consistently a $30-35,000 a year position since I've covered the 'Cats (since 2011). For every Gerald Alexander that goes to Cal, there will be a Toby Neinas who leaves Montana State for a quality control position in the Pac 12 (Neinas is at Colorado) because he quite literally triples his salary.

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:49 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:

The turnover for Montana State's defensive backs coach will always be really high regardless of performance by the coach or the players. Every staff is different in the way the head coach allots salaries but it's been consistently a $30-35,000 a year position since I've covered the 'Cats (since 2011). For every Gerald Alexander that goes to Cal, there will be a Toby Neinas who leaves Montana State for a quality control position in the Pac 12 (Neinas is at Colorado) because he quite literally triples his salary.
Dang that's tough sledding if that is the salary...

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Post by bobcat92 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:25 pm

GoCats18 wrote:

I agree that Choate seems to have some good connections in the profession.

I liked Mark's interview. Thought he did a good job.