Gazette post on Facebook

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Gazette post on Facebook

Post by Grizaddict » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:22 pm

There is a major piece no one is discussing. RJ is a fullback. He will be a fullback in college. The Griz don't use a fullback. They had to move one of the better fullbacks in the entire big sky (Jamal Wilson) to defensive line when Stitt's offense was implemented his first year. I'm sure his offense just doesn't suit RJs strengths and vice versa.

golden77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by golden77 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:30 pm

RJ is also a linebacker, not just a fullback

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:41 pm

golden77 wrote:RJ is also a linebacker, not just a fullback
Fair enough. Is he projected to play LB there? Did you see how many LBs the Griz recruited already? That place is Linebacker U. There are 3 star backers (Cy Sirmon) who haven't played LB yet because of the insane depth.

BroncoCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BroncoCat » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:53 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Fair enough. Is he projected to play LB there? Did you see how many LBs the Griz recruited already? That place is Linebacker U. There are 3 star backers (Cy Sirmon) who haven't played LB yet because of the insane depth.
those star lbs really plugged the gaps in cat/griz.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:03 pm

Cataholic wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:Does anyone else get the feeling like the media is trying to turn our "Own The Sky" into "Griz Envy"? I mean, Stitt knows he screwed up by not bringing in home state kids last year. He is clearly making up for that this year. We both signed 10 Montana kids, and MSU still has more total MT kids on their roster. I mean, loads of MT talent? Come on. I am willing to bet that of the 10 kids signed by UM this week, less then 5 will ever see the field.
I asked this earlier, but does anybody know how many scholarships were awarded to the Montana Griz recruits? I think they signed 22 kids but only had like 18 scholarships. I have a suspicion that the majority of Montana kids that he so "values" only received partial scholarships while the majority of scholarship money went to out of staters. I think even Dick and Welnel only received partials. Is Deming the only one that received a full scholarship?
The griz still have scholarships available. Like 4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:29 pm

BlackhawkCat wrote:I don't know how AJ could consider a school a "Flagship" university for all intents is basically a VO Tech school. As someone mentioned earlier I think um is really frightened of Coach Choate, they should be. I think the Fitzgerald family actually will be ecstatic in the long run RJ became a student/athlete at MSU. Not only a superior education but I think we will be big winners on the field as well. Coach Choate and his staff get it. Beat the griz!
I don't know what AJ posted (I try to avoid his fan boy "reporting" along with Sample's "reporting" as well), but to get technical, if he referred to UM as one of the flagships, he is correct. There are two flagship institutions in Montana and UM is one of those as is MSU. Granted, one of those institutions is doing significantly better than the other...

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

BlackhawkCat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BlackhawkCat » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:52 pm

AJ calls it The Flagship University of the state Montana.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:26 pm

Exact quote: "A major factor in swaying recruits to Missoula — for both those familiar with the state's flagship school and those who've only Googled it — involved getting them on campus this past fall. Stitt said 19 of the 22 signees visited during weekends that involved one of Montana's six home games."

I would agree that it's entirely appropriate to refer to both UM and MSU as flagship universities as they are the two largest schools in the state and were founded at the same time, even given UM's recent struggles. Probably nothing to get all up in arms about - we all know MSU is on the upswing and UM is struggling mightily to catch up regardless of what some newspaper reporter says.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:50 pm

Some of y'all are way too sensitive when it comes to talking about UM. It's not hard to be objective and realize that you're being a big bitch. I mean...c'mon guys. Nothing wrong with what AJ said. If you don't expect the local paper write to be a bit biased for the home team, then you're ignorant as hell. Will Holden (who I think was an exceptional writer here) was slightly biased. Parker is slightly biased. Aj is slightly biased. Kyle is slightly biased. You have to pander to your local target. Not a big deal. Be adults and get over it.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:59 am

Fitzgerald reminds me a lot of Josh Hill. Similar build. Fitzgerald was SW A Def. POY and first team all state LB. (The A all state teams are little different than AA) He was also a first team all-SW A at fullback. I see Vim only had him at #39, but you just can't overlook those accolades and that lineage. I'm at a loss on how Stitt could've rationalized that with what appears to be a very versatile athlete. He's also a good hoop and baseball player. Sons of great players have too good of a track record following in their dad's footsteps to not at least give him a look.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:08 am

Fitzgerald reminds me a lot of Josh Hill. Similar build. Fitzgerald was SW A Def. POY and first team all state LB. (The A all state teams are little different than AA) He was also a first team all-SW A at fullback. I see Vim only had him at #39, but you just can't overlook those accolades and that lineage.
Josh Hill's speed and instincts are a step ahead of RJ's and it shows on film. Josh is a much more fluid athlete. However, I do think that RJ and Josh are both very smart linebackers. RJ is going to be a good fullback. That position is a perfect fit for him at this level.
I'm at a loss on how Stitt could've rationalized that with what appears to be a very versatile athlete. He's also a good hoop and baseball player. Sons of great players have too good of a track record following in their dad's footsteps to not at least give him a look.
He 100% deserved a look by Stitt & Co.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

catpound

Post by catpound » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:13 pm

Grizaddict wrote:

Where were all those linebackers when the Cats were running all over them when everybody in the whole state knew the Cats were going to run it every play?

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:28 pm

catpound wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:

Where were all those linebackers when the Cats were running all over them when everybody in the whole state knew the Cats were going to run it every play?
They were getting pancaked or running backwards trying to catch Murray/Lasane/Brekke. They seemed to be better in space and against the pass, but they were not very good in the power set at all. Teams will definitely see that on film next year. Of course their DE's didn't do them many favors selling out and not containing the edge. The Cats just did delay draws, let the DE go by (and up the field) and then punched an extra blocker through the gap and off they went. Same result on the 4th and 1 play when they just let Sullivan go unobstructed down the field because they were too aggressive. Very good coaching for sure. The Cats ran it down their throats and they could not do anything about it.

Like someone said on another thread. They kind of played like we played against Sam Houston on D. That style of offense made the defense 'pause' and NOT attack because if you miss ... HOME RUN (Too much thinking). That gets me even more excited about the class we have coming in this year as we will have even more weapons to throw out now. James Campbell may be our Richard Sincere (Sam Houston) type that could give us another weapon for the D to have to decide on quickly! Read the play wrong? Bye Bye --> TD Miss a tackle? Bye Bye --> TD :)

catsack

Post by catsack » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:23 pm

Cataholic wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:Does anyone else get the feeling like the media is trying to turn our "Own The Sky" into "Griz Envy"? I mean, Stitt knows he screwed up by not bringing in home state kids last year. He is clearly making up for that this year. We both signed 10 Montana kids, and MSU still has more total MT kids on their roster. I mean, loads of MT talent? Come on. I am willing to bet that of the 10 kids signed by UM this week, less then 5 will ever see the field.
I asked this earlier, but does anybody know how many scholarships were awarded to the Montana Griz recruits? I think they signed 22 kids but only had like 18 scholarships. I have a suspicion that the majority of Montana kids that he so "values" only received partial scholarships while the majority of scholarship money went to out of staters. I think even Dick and Welnel only received partials. Is Deming the only one that received a full scholarship?
According to Choate the Cats only offered one of those kids ! So did the Griz waste a bunch of partials on all of those kids Choate didn't want??

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:33 pm

catsack wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
According to Choate the Cats only offered one of those kids ! So did the Griz waste a bunch of partials on all of those kids Choate didn't want??
I believe if the Cats lost out on the full-ride kids they would then offer the other kids on their board from Montana. Two years ago, I think the Griz got 5 full-ride commits from Colin Bingham, Josh Sandry, Dalton Daum, Jesse Sims, and Holden Ryan. So, like then, it wasn't like the Cats wasted partials on half of their 11 Montana commitments that year. This is a silly argument and not from you catsack. The Griz offered full-rides to those top 5 kids and got one. But I wouldn't let "how much scholarship money a kid received" define who he is as a future player, especially with Montana kids. 18 of the 19 kids listed in my Top 20 received scholarship aid from their school with the exception being Peyton Hanser for MSU. This class was talented and deep.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:34 pm

catsack wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Yeah, it's just like every year. The Cats got all the guys the Griz wanted and the Griz only got the guys the Cats didn't want anyway :roll:

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:35 pm

Here is the MT recruiting breakdown from Colter:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:A breakdown of all 20 kids who signed with the Montana schools today.

Griz and Cats offered full scholarship in spring of 2016

Troy Andersen
Keaton Anderson
Tadan Gilman
Jaxen Hashley
Braydon Deming - I wrote this story a few days after signing day last year - MSU extends three in-state offers for Class of 2017 - http://skylinesportsmt.com/msu-extends- ... s-of-2017/
The Bobcats extended scholarship offers through each player’s high school coach to Kalispell Glacier defensive end/outside linebacker Jaxen Hashley, Billings West outside linebacker Braydon Deming and Billings Senior safety Keaton Anderson.

Montana State also identified Baker safety/quarterback Luke Gonsioroski and Dillon quarterback/safety Troy Andersen as top prospects and contacted them to begin the recruiting process. After further evaluation, each should expect some sort of offer from MSU.

According to a source with direct knowledge of the situation, Montana State also made direct contact with Columbia Falls offensive tackle Zach Baker, Polson linebacker Matt Rensvold, Fairfield tight end/defensive end Chandler Allen, Billings Senior standout quarterback Nathan Dick and Missoula Sentinel quarterback/safety Mitch Roberts.
Both sides offered partial scholarship
Nathan Dick, partial both sides, only Montana said he could play QB
Lance McCutcheon (partial from MSU, took official visit to UM but went through my notes and cannot confirm he received an offer from Montana).

Offered by just Montana
WR Mitch Roberts (above)
ATH McKenzie Holt - Rob Ash, Mike Rider recruited Holt as a junior but his recruitment disappeared under Choate
WR Matthew Rensvold (Cats showed interest last spring but wanted Rensvold to play defense)
QB Tanner Wilson (did not hear from the Cats)
WR Michael McGinnis - (did not hear from the Cats)
WR Bryson Deming (interest from MSU last spring but no offer)
DE Trevor Hoerner (did not hear from the Cats)
LB Marcus Welnel (interest from MSU in spring and summer.

Offered only by Montana State
LB Ryan Davis (Partial) (never considered UM - family)
QB Callahan O’Reilly (Partial) (Received some interest from Montana through summer but ceased after Wilson committed)
WR Peyton Hanser PWO (Griz expressed interest)
DE Ty Morgan Ennis PWO (doubt he heard from the Griz - Class C in Bozeman's back yard)

Unknown
FB R.J. Fitzgerald of Dillon PWO - might’ve gotten PWO offer from Griz since his dad, Greg played at Montana but he was the one recruit I did not find out about until today so I have not talked to him yet.

catsack

Post by catsack » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:31 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
catsack wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
I believe if the Cats lost out on the full-ride kids they would then offer the other kids on their board from Montana. Two years ago, I think the Griz got 5 full-ride commits from Colin Bingham, Josh Sandry, Dalton Daum, Jesse Sims, and Holden Ryan. So, like then, it wasn't like the Cats wasted partials on half of their 11 Montana commitments that year. This is a silly argument and not from you catsack. The Griz offered full-rides to those top 5 kids and got one. But I wouldn't let "how much scholarship money a kid received" define who he is as a future player, especially with Montana kids. 18 of the 19 kids listed in my Top 20 received scholarship aid from their school with the exception being Peyton Hanser for MSU. This class was talented and deep.
My point was they got more money than Choate offered, when IMO his point was the Griz didn't give them enough money!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:03 pm

catsack wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
catsack wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
My point was they got more money than Choate offered, when IMO his point was the Griz didn't give them enough money!
I should have made my comment more clear. Bobs Titt claims that his Montana recruits are the foundation of their future success. I don't think his actions back his statement. If he values these Montana kids so much and expects them to be the key to success, then why didn't he provide them all full rides? Wouldn't you be investing money in your "keys" to success? Instead, I can only find that Deming received a full scholarship (I could be wrong but can't find anymore detail). I see Stitts statement as another insincere attempt to win over some Montana fans.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:11 am

Cataholic wrote:
catsack wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
catsack wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
I should have made my comment more clear. Bobs Titt claims that his Montana recruits are the foundation of their future success. I don't think his actions back his statement. If he values these Montana kids so much and expects them to be the key to success, then why didn't he provide them all full rides? Wouldn't you be investing money in your "keys" to success? Instead, I can only find that Deming received a full scholarship (I could be wrong but can't find anymore detail). I see Stitts statement as another insincere attempt to win over some Montana fans.
If Lamar Jackson expressed a desire to transfer to UM or MSU as a walk-on, would the coach be making a mistake by letting him? Stitt and Choate know that in-state tuition is a lot less than out-of-state tuition, so more Montana kids can afford to come to MSU on a partial, as opposed to out of state kids. Therefore, more Montana kids can justify coming to MSU or UM on a partial. Both coaches know this, which means they will both try to convince Montana kids to accept a partial. This sets the market rate for most in-state recruits in most yearss at the level of a partial scholarship. I doubt either coach really wants to change that, because their goal is to win, and getting the most talent possible out of a given number of scholarships tends to help a team win. If you can get a talented player without giving up a full scholarship, that offers a strategic benefit.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers