2018 MSU Recruiting (31 Signees)

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2018 MSU Recruiting

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:43 am

https://twitter.com/matthew_cindric/status/829489057969246208

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:52 am

According to their Twitter, here are the players from the state of Washington we have offered so far:

Nash Fouch - 3-star Safety - Woodinville High School
Tre Weed - 3-star ATH - Sumner Senior High School
Jovan McConico - 3-star Safety - Garfield High School
Daniel Arias - 3-star WR - Henry M Jackson High School
Jesiah Irish - 3-star WR - Mount Si High School
Malik Putney - 3-star Safety - Eastside Catholic High School
Anthony Stell - 3-star WR - Rainier Beach High School
Jarrell Anderson - 3-star TE - Bethel High School
Micah Smith - 3-star RB - Graham Kapowsin High School
Matthew Cindric - 3-star OT - Skyline High School

From Idaho:

Cole Ramseyer - 3-star TE - Coeur D'Alene High School

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:14 am

https://twitter.com/JackLamb_/status/799454457880641537 This one was from back in November. Chad Kanow's teammate.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:15 am

These is completely logical and smart for Choate to do. He's still not far removed from coaching at UW, which is a rising (risen?) star in the FBS ranks. Now is the time to capitalize on that. Players from Washington want to play for Peterson and his staff at UW and those that don't catch on there will probably listen to the coaches from UW that recommend playing for Choate. He should be hitting Washington and Idaho like they're Montana.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:38 am

I've updated the first page of the thread with known offers for the 2018 class. I know we have offered kids from Montana but I'll wait for Skyline Sports post that story because they will be more accurate.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:58 am

iaafan wrote:These is completely logical and smart for Choate to do. He's still not far removed from coaching at UW, which is a rising (risen?) star in the FBS ranks. Now is the time to capitalize on that. Players from Washington want to play for Peterson and his staff at UW and those that don't catch on there will probably listen to the coaches from UW that recommend playing for Choate. He should be hitting Washington and Idaho like they're Montana.
And that's only half the question. Recruit these guys now, get to know the coaches, develop trust. A lot of these guys might not come, but their future teammates might if their coach has a comfort with our program. Recruiting is all about developing relationships on a multi-year basis.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:48 am

Bozcat003 wrote:We've offered even more kids today . . . it seems we have offered the entire state of Washington :lol: :lol:

some tweets about it: Interesting strategy . . . seems to have gotten a lot of notice
https://twitter.com/ScottEnyeart/status/829504497260994561 https://twitter.com/CarsonWentz1/status/829491227934355456 https://twitter.com/7calebbrown22/status/829382915792343040
Wow....if Carson Wentz is Tweeting about it, obviously people are taking notice. Love that we're getting our name/brand out there in a bigger way.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:52 am

wbtfg wrote:
Bozcat003 wrote:We've offered even more kids today . . . it seems we have offered the entire state of Washington :lol: :lol:

some tweets about it: Interesting strategy . . . seems to have gotten a lot of notice
https://twitter.com/ScottEnyeart/status/829504497260994561 https://twitter.com/CarsonWentz1/status/829491227934355456 https://twitter.com/7calebbrown22/status/829382915792343040
Wow....if Carson Wentz is Tweeting about it, obviously people are taking notice. Love that we're getting our name/brand out there in a bigger way.
:lol:

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:18 am

wbtfg wrote:

That's not the NDSU Carson Wentz. Some other kid.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:40 am

:-# :bag:

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:33 am

When you read recruited player profiles, a common statement is the players really liked the steady communication from MSU coaches. I think this is a great strategy. Hit them early and often and build that relationship. You never know when that will be the difference maker and we land that top level talent. I think our recruitment strategy really wins kids over. I'd love to know all of the little details, as I find player recruitment fascinating and think it would be a blast to sell kids on our program and fine university! GO CATS GO!! \:D/

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:17 am

superbobcat wrote:When you read recruited player profiles, a common statement is the players really liked the steady communication from MSU coaches. I think this is a great strategy. Hit them early and often and build that relationship. You never know when that will be the difference maker and we land that top level talent. I think our recruitment strategy really wins kids over. I'd love to know all of the little details, as I find player recruitment fascinating and think it would be a blast to sell kids on our program and fine university! GO CATS GO!! \:D/
Yep. THIS!!!!
+10000000000000000

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:36 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:What does everyone think of this strategy? The tweets above seem like guys taking small shots at MSU. I know it's hard to know the tone of something through text but just curious what everyone thinks about throwing out offers like this. I think it's got it's got pros and cons. Pro it shows guys we want to recruit the area heavily. Con a high school kid may look at it negatively since everyone is getting offers.
We did the same thing last year and likely the year before that. A lot of these offers this early for kids we really have no shot at. I believe the coaches should do whatever strategy produced them the results of this past recruiting season. 8)
In the last few weeks of my travels and as far away as Maui I have run across parents of 2017 signees.
The overwhelming message of these parents and athletes alike has been the expectation of competing for championships in very near future. These young men are excited to play football at MSU and receive a top education to go with it.
This coaching staff is doing a great job of projecting a winning program to high schools across the the country as well as taking legitimate steps to accomplish just that, win!
I believe many higher rated recruits see MSU as an opportunity to get exposure as football players and get a better education and life experience than many mid level FBS schools.
Time will tell. Go Cats!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:49 am

VimSince03 wrote:https://twitter.com/matthew_cindric/status/829489057969246208
Not looking to derail this thread, but I absolutely love the graphics in these announcements! These are awesome and the kids must love them as well!

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

2018 MSU Recruiting

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:31 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Not looking to derail this thread, but I absolutely love the graphics in these announcements! These are awesome and the kids must love them as well!
Agreed. Have to have them anymore. Interesting article in Sports Illustrated about how vitally important a card like this and social media in general is to recruiting. Clemson, Ohio State etc. were documented as hiring entire media groups and spending hundreds of thousands a year. The article opened my eyes to the fact that even at the FCS level you have to do these things to keep recruits. So it is good to see we are looking the right direction here, recognizing that it is a totally new world for recruiting.

BDizzle
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by BDizzle » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:18 pm

I see you guys offered about 4 guys from Bakersfield today. But for the class of 2019. I see absolutely nothing wrong with this. Seems like only good things could come from it. But I do wonder how much knowledge they have on sophomores in Bakersfield.

GO GRIZ!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:27 pm

BDizzle wrote:I see you guys offered about 4 guys from Bakersfield today. But for the class of 2019. I see absolutely nothing wrong with this. Seems like only good things could come from it. But I do wonder how much knowledge they have on sophomores in Bakersfield.
We have recruited Northern California pretty heavily the past five years and Garces Memorial High School in Bakersfield just produced one of our best recruits in Sean Hatten. Pitre has great relationships with an abundant amount of high school football programs in the entire state of California.

Now if we offered 4 sophomores from a Vermont high school, I would definitely wounder.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:32 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Agreed. Have to have them anymore. Interesting article in Sports Illustrated about how vitally important a card like this and social media in general is to recruiting. Clemson, Ohio State etc. were documented as hiring entire media groups and spending hundreds of thousands a year. The article opened my eyes to the fact that even at the FCS level you have to do these things to keep recruits. So it is good to see we are looking the right direction here, recognizing that it is a totally new world for recruiting.
I was looking back a few weeks ago at the first recruiting thread I could find back when this board started over a decade ago. Nobody was completely sure who was going to sign and it was pretty much assumed that there would be surprise names that nobody had heard before signing day. Contrast this to today when everything is announced on social media, and has become almost scripted ("Blessed, honored, and extremely excited to announce that I have received an offer to School #Hashtag #Hashtag #Hashtag" with collage of photos). Jealous rival fans can poke fun all they want about how many offers you're making to kids who will probably end up going FBS, but getting your brand out there has to help a lot.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:33 am

VimSince03 wrote:
BDizzle wrote:I see you guys offered about 4 guys from Bakersfield today. But for the class of 2019. I see absolutely nothing wrong with this. Seems like only good things could come from it. But I do wonder how much knowledge they have on sophomores in Bakersfield.
We have recruited Northern California pretty heavily the past five years and Garces Memorial High School in Bakersfield just produced one of our best recruits in Sean Hatten. Pitre has great relationships with an abundant amount of high school football programs in the entire state of California.

Now if we offered 4 sophomores from a Vermont high school, I would definitely wounder.
And going from Bakersfield to Bozeman has to be like stepping into Paradise.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:36 am

RickRund wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

And going from Bakersfield to Bozeman has to be like stepping into Paradise.
Who wouldn't want to live there?!