2018 MSU Recruiting (31 Signees)

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2018 MSU Recruiting (16 Signees; 8 Verbals)

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:50 am

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:Any word on Zion Echols? I'm very curious to know what his situation is
Will have to be a summer transfer at this point. Sounds like documentation didn't clear.
So as far as we know, he's still on board. Just a paperwork thing?
Maybe....but you never know with FBS dropdowns. He is still available for others to offer. If he comes here, he would be a "next level" type athlete but we are building pretty talented depth at the position he is being recruited at which is kind of a slot WR/RB hybrid. It's cool we are even on his radar but I'm not going to get my hopes up until something becomes official.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:12 pm

Compton College CB Filer will transfer to Montana State
https://skylinesportsmt.com/compton-cb- ... ana-state/

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:44 am

Does anyone know if we had any recruits the last two weekends? I don’t even care about names just if we used the last two weekends or if the class was already done with visits. We have a great class signed and or committed already and can’t imagine many scholarships are left.

Of the already known offers/ visits here’s who I would like to also sign next week that have yet to verbal . I’m assuming all the current verbals are signing and nobody is flipping at the last minute. These would be additional commits and not replacing anyone:

Koby Duru (Bishop Amat) - WR - 6'2", 185 lbs. - La Puente, CA (2-star)
Zion Echols (transfer Cal)-RB- 5’8”, 180 lbs
Isaiah Ifanse (Bellevue) - ATH/RB - 5'10", 190 lbs. - Bellevue, WA (3-star)
Malik Putney (Eastside Catholic) - S - 6'0", 195 lbs. - Sammamish, WA (3-star)
Randell Turner (Norco) - DE/OLB - 6'3", 230 lbs. - Norco, CA (3-star)
James Williams (Aledo)- DT 5’9”, 303 lbs- Aledo, TX (2-Star)

I think Echols and Turner are the longest shots. Echols sounds more of a summer or fall sign and would be a huge get. I think Turner is going to end up at Sam Houston, not sure if we are even still after him but he was one of the better looking de recruits and after getting a verbal from his classmate Long, thought we may get him as well.

I think we are very much in the running for Duru, Ifanse, Putney and Williams.

Any combination of anyone on this list would be a great endcap to a stellar class imo.

**edit I see Turner did in fact commit to SHSU yesterday, should have checked before posting. Was going to do this yesterday

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:10 am

catgrad05 wrote:Does anyone know if we had any recruits the last two weekends? I don’t even care about names just if we used the last two weekends or if the class was already done with visits. We have a great class signed and or committed already and can’t imagine many scholarships are left.

Of the already known offers/ visits here’s who I would like to also sign next week that have yet to verbal . I’m assuming all the current verbals are signing and nobody is flipping at the last minute. These would be additional commits and not replacing anyone:

I think Echols and Turner are the longest shots. Echols sounds more of a summer or fall sign and would be a huge get. I think Turner is going to end up at Sam Houston, not sure if we are even still after him but he was one of the better looking de recruits and after getting a verbal from his classmate Long, thought we may get him as well.

Any combination of anyone on this list would be a great endcap to a stellar class imo.

**edit I see Turner did in fact commit to SHSU yesterday, should have checked before posting. Was going to do this yesterday
Also need to hang on to Pierce DeVaugn who got a late fbs offer from UConn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:13 pm

wbtfg wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:Does anyone know if we had any recruits the last two weekends? I don’t even care about names just if we used the last two weekends or if the class was already done with visits. We have a great class signed and or committed already and can’t imagine many scholarships are left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote/
And an offer from Rice, but we still have a chance.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:22 am

Montanabob wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote/
And an offer from Rice, but we still have a chance.
I'm already assuming Pierce is going to sign with Uconn. Duru, Ifanse, and Williams may all announce on signing day.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2018 MSU Recruiting (16 Signees; 9 Verbals)

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:28 am

VIM-

do you expect to only see the 1 OL recruit in this class?... or is there anyone else out there the coaches are trying to get. I know there is a lot of young OL guys on the team, but I would think every class should have at LEAST 2 or 3 OL recruits.....

This class looks amazing by the way! just find it odd that there is only 1 OL guy....

FTG- GO CATS GO!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:40 am

mslacatfan wrote:VIM-

do you expect to only see the 1 OL recruit in this class?... or is there anyone else out there the coaches are trying to get. I know there is a lot of young OL guys on the team, but I would think every class should have at LEAST 2 or 3 OL recruits.....

This class looks amazing by the way! just find it odd that there is only 1 OL guy....
Choate wants to add a JUCO or drop-down guard before next season. We signed four full-ride offensive lineman last year that all redshirted so they will be in the same class throughout their careers. Here is a breakdown:

Redshirt Freshman - Zach Redd, Brody McKnight, Connor Wood, Sean Hatten
Sophomores - Taylor Tuiasosopo, Jake Sessions, Lewis Kidd, Jarrod Asche, Denver Krone, Connor Floden
Junior - Mitch Brott, Colin Hammock
Senior - Alex Neale

We are very backloaded on young o-line talent with a lot of scholarship money allocated to those kids. Taylor and Lewis are already starters while Jake is going to be in competition for the left guard spot (Kidd is going to move to LT). Signing Donny Long only adds more depth to a young, talented group. But after looking at the current roster, it makes sense Jeff wants to go after a drop-down guard for competition/depth purposes. Guys like Connor Wood, Jake Sessions, Brody McKnight, and even Colin Hammock are going to get a shot at the left guard spot. Hammock is also the primary backup at right tackle and possibly left tackle right now as well.

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:41 am

mslacatfan wrote:VIM-

Although McElroy & Pickering are recruited as TE's, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see them slide into the OL down the road.

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:00 pm

Don’t get me wrong, I’m loving the talent in this class. And combined with the last two classes I think it’s evident that Choate has brought in some serious talent and raised the bar as a whole.

My question is; how many spots are available? After two pretty big classes the last two years, I was expecting a little smaller one this year, maybe 15-20. But we’re currently at 25 with possibly a couple more to come.

Does anyone have a breakdown of who we lost and how many spots (roughly) that we think are available?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:20 pm

Catsrgrood wrote:Don’t get me wrong, I’m loving the talent in this class. And combined with the last two classes I think it’s evident that Choate has brought in some serious talent and raised the bar as a whole.

My question is; how many spots are available? After two pretty big classes the last two years, I was expecting a little smaller one this year, maybe 15-20. But we’re currently at 25 with possibly a couple more to come.

Does anyone have a breakdown of who we lost and how many spots (roughly) that we think are available?
There will be some PWO's from prior year classes that will have to make the roster after this spring. If not, they will likely get cut prior to summer.

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:40 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Catsrgrood wrote:Don’t get me wrong, I’m loving the talent in this class. And combined with the last two classes I think it’s evident that Choate has brought in some serious talent and raised the bar as a whole.

There will be some PWO's from prior year classes that will have to make the roster after this spring. If not, they will likely get cut prior to summer.
Plus, I think Choate has stated previously that he's never filled all of his scholarships while he's been here, hasn't he? So he's got an extra couple to play with possibly. There's always attrition during the summer and I believe we just have to be down to the right number of scholarships by fall semester. We can go over right now, as long as we get under the limit by fall, I believe. I'm not saying we're over. I have no idea. Just food for thought and for discussion.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:48 pm

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

Plus, I think Choate has stated previously that he's never filled all of his scholarships while he's been here, hasn't he? So he's got an extra couple to play with possibly. There's always attrition during the summer and I believe we just have to be down to the right number of scholarships by fall semester. We can go over right now, as long as we get under the limit by fall, I believe. I'm not saying we're over. I have no idea. Just food for thought and for discussion.
I guess what I was trying to say is that it doesn't really matter if we go "over". Kids need to earn spots in the spring as the roster continues to improve and get better. Attrition and cuts happen every year. Get the best players you can and let competition work out the kinks in the roster.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:55 am

1 Day left...finally!

Waiting on answers from Koby Duru, Isaiah Ifanse, and James Williams. Also, we will likely see what Pierce DeVaughn's decision will be between keeping his commitment to MSU or signing with UConn.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:29 am

https://twitter.com/CoachBJ_MSU/status/960912977820962816

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:37 am

I really hope we get Williams. Ifanse would be awesome but we’d survive without him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:15 am

We’d survive (thrive) a lot better with him (Ifanse). I think we’ll get all three. Feeling real good about Ifanse and Duru.

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:08 pm

I'm really, really hoping we can pull in Ifanse... not sure why, I just have a feeling about him that he is going to end up being REALLY good. Also hoping we can hold onto DeVaughn, he's a good looking prospect that could end up being a real player in a couple years. Super excited about the Washington kids that just verballed, Putney especially could see the field this year and plays a position that we have been sorely lacking all-conference players for the better part of a decade. Can't wait for tomorrow!

GO CATS GO!!!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:23 pm

BozoneCat wrote:I'm really, really hoping we can pull in Ifanse... not sure why, I just have a feeling about him that he is going to end up being REALLY good. Also hoping we can hold onto DeVaughn, he's a good looking prospect that could end up being a real player in a couple years. Super excited about the Washington kids that just verballed, Putney especially could see the field this year and plays a position that we have been sorely lacking all-conference players for the better part of a decade. Can't wait for tomorrow!
Bryson McCabe was an All-Big Sky safety in 2016 and 2017 earning 2nd-Team honors in 2016 along with 3rd-Team honors in 2017.

Rob Marshall earned 3rd-Team honors at safety in 2014.

Steven Bethley earned Honorable Mention at safety in 2013 (a year in which he played with a broken hand the entire year), 2012, and 2011.

Joel Fuller earned 1st-Team honors at safety in 2012 and 2nd-Team in 2011.

Jordan Craney and Michael Rider earned Honorable Mention honors in 2010 their senior seasons. Rider also was HM his junior season in 2009.

Anyway, over the past decade the only year MSU hasn't have a safety get at least honorable mention at safety is 2015 (the year Ash got fired). Over the past decade, Fuller is the only player to earn 1st-Team honors. Overall, I agree with you BozoneCat. MSU has not had dominant safety play in a while. I felt Fuller and Bethley in 2012 was the best combo over the past decade which was also the last year MSU won a Big Sky title.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:32 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:I'm really, really hoping we can pull in Ifanse... not sure why, I just have a feeling about him that he is going to end up being REALLY good. Also hoping we can hold onto DeVaughn, he's a good looking prospect that could end up being a real player in a couple years. Super excited about the Washington kids that just verballed, Putney especially could see the field this year and plays a position that we have been sorely lacking all-conference players for the better part of a decade. Can't wait for tomorrow!
Bryson McCabe was an All-Big Sky safety in 2016 and 2017 earning 2nd-Team honors in 2016 along with 3rd-Team honors in 2017.

Rob Marshall earned 3rd-Team honors at safety in 2014.

Steven Bethley earned Honorable Mention at safety in 2013 (a year in which he played with a broken hand the entire year), 2012, and 2011.

Joel Fuller earned 1st-Team honors at safety in 2012 and 2nd-Team in 2011.

Jordan Craney and Michael Rider earned Honorable Mention honors in 2010 their senior seasons. Rider also was HM his junior season in 2009.

Anyway, over the past decade the only year MSU hasn't have a safety get at least honorable mention at safety is 2015 (the year Ash got fired). Over the past decade, Fuller is the only player to earn 1st-Team honors. Overall, I agree with you BozoneCat. MSU has not had dominant safety play in a while. I felt Fuller and Bethley in 2012 was the best combo over the past decade which was also the last year MSU won a Big Sky title.
I also really liked what I saw from JoJo Henderson. If he can take another step forward this coming year (and stay healthy), I would not be surprised to see him get some all-conference looks.

FTG- GO CATS GO!