2018 MSU Recruiting (31 Signees)

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

brucat5
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: 2018 MSU Recruiting (16 Signees; 1 Verbal)

Post by brucat5 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:36 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:Jonsen is not in the directory yet, but the other transfers are. Jahque Alleyne the safety from Virginia Tech is also registered.
Is Jonsen listed under Waller?
No. Assuming he is just getting admission paperwork figured out.
He's there now.

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:37 pm

Boy it’s been silent on the recruiting front lately. When is signing day?

Anyone have any ideas on guys we are close on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:40 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:Boy it’s been silent on the recruiting front lately. When is signing day?

First of three weekends of January visits starts this Friday. Dead period is over with tomorrow so things will start to pick up. AFCA Convention is wrapping up today so be on the lookout for coaching staff shake-ups. They usually happen every year after that convention.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

DaCats21
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DaCats21 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:55 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:Boy it’s been silent on the recruiting front lately. When is signing day?

First of three weekends of January visits starts this Friday. Dead period is over with tomorrow so things will start to pick up. AFCA Convention is wrapping up today so be on the lookout for coaching staff shake-ups. They usually happen every year after that convention.
Funny you mention it. Pitre to Oregon State

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=42692

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:49 am

brucat5 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:Jonsen is not in the directory yet, but the other transfers are. Jahque Alleyne the safety from Virginia Tech is also registered.
He's there now.
Anyone else find it strange you can go on to a college website and potentially find the cell phone number for the starting QB of a rival team?

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:28 pm

wbtfg wrote:
brucat5 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
He's there now.
Anyone else find it strange you can go on to a college website and potentially find the cell phone number for the starting QB of a rival team?
Hmm. I wonder if Gresch might get a 3am phone call next November 17...

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:11 pm

91catAlum wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
brucat5 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
He's there now.
Hmm. I wonder if Gresch might get a 3am phone call next November 17...
Most guys that age have it on their Facespace, Tweetbird and Instapic anyway.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:16 pm

Travis is now in the directory.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:06 pm

So after the first signing period, I felt MSU needed to pursue pass-rushing prospects as the #1 priority. As of right now, these DE recruits have posted offers from MSU since this past summer and they haven't committed anywhere else:

Randell Turner (Norco) - DE/OLB - 6'3", 230 lbs. - Norco, CA (3-star)
Davontre Henderson (South Grand Prairie) - DE/OLB - 6'1", 215 lbs. - Grand Prairie, TX (2-star)
Pierce DeVaughn (Frisco) - DE/OLB - 6'3", 200 lbs. - Frisco, TX (2-star)
Rian Fields (Irvine) - WR/DE - 6'5", 205 lbs. - Irvine, CA (2-star)
Noel Iwuchukwu (College of the Canyons) - DE/OLB - 6'4", 240 lbs. - Santa Clarita, CA (2-star - from 2016)

Based off twitter, Coach Choate still follows all five of these players. MSU just offered Turner's teammate, OL Donny Long, and Randell has pinned MSU's "Recruit of the Week" to his twitter page (which usually means he is definitely interested). Coach Pitre was his primary recruiter. Choate and Pitre follow him on Twitter. Davontre followed the grouping of Joe McElroy, Kaleb Winterburn, Ty'Rese Gibson, Ty'Rhae Gibson, Lane Sumner, Casey Bauman, Justin Cauley, and Nolan Askelson after one weekend this past fall so maybe Davontre came on a visit? Regardless, Denarius is his primary recruiter and he is followed by Choate, Hout, and Denarius on Twitter. Pierce DeVaughn is another Denarius recruit out of Texas. Plays very similar to Henderson in that they are hybrid DE/OLBs who can drop into coverage and rush the passer. Pierce has a solid frame to add weight to get up to that 245-250 range. Like Henderson, he is followed by Choate, Hout, and Denarius on Twitter. Fields is a different type of prospect. He is basically a "string bean" defensive end but he has a frame and playing style you can develop as a pass rusher. He's a decent receiver but his length on the defensive side of the ball must make defensive coaches like Choate, Gregorak, and Hout excited about his potential. Anyway, he still "likes" plenty of MSU coach twitter posts and he is currently followed by Choate, Gregorak, and Hout on Twitter. Noel is a junior college recruit out of College of the Canyons. He qualified after his only year at CofC so he could come in as a true sophomore. Mark Orphey is his main recruiter and he is followed by Choate, Hout, and Orphey on Twitter. Personally, I hope we get at least two of these five kids to develop as pass-rushers. They all have that quick twitch speed you want at the Buck position. Hopefully we get them on campus sometime these next three weekends.

There guys...some recruiting BS to tide you over! I would also like to add, this is 100% speculation on my part. No real clue if they are still on the radar, planning on visiting MSU, or still are interested in MSU. Just trying to connect some dots.

DaCats21
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DaCats21 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:19 pm

Any word on who will be taking a visit this weekend?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:29 pm

For a reminder, the dead period is over at 12:00 AM tonight. Should be getting some news on who will be here this weekend tomorrow.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:30 am

Montana State's next round of official visits will be the weekend of January 20. This was the schedule before Pitre's departure.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:21 pm

Colter's article on the Griz recruiting weekend contains a little tidbit on a guy visiting us next week.

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:43 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:Montana State's next round of official visits will be the weekend of January 20. This was the schedule before Pitre's departure.
Is it weird that we're not bringing any kids in on official visits for one of the three weekends? Feels like a wasted opportunity to me...

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:43 pm

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:Montana State's next round of official visits will be the weekend of January 20. This was the schedule before Pitre's departure.
Is it weird that we're not bringing any kids in on official visits for one of the three weekends? Feels like a wasted opportunity to me...
I don't agree. We bring in a big group on 20 Jan and it's the last thing they remember before committing. Besides we are probably only signing up about 8 more in next signing period and then a few late walk on and maybe a summer last minute drop down.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:00 am

https://twitter.com/MekhiMetcalf/status/952733398631510016

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:20 pm

bobcat99 wrote:Colter's article on the Griz recruiting weekend contains a little tidbit on a guy visiting us next week.
I saw that, Gavin Robertson, Arizona, Safety. Looks like he's choosing between us and the griz. I'm guessing he goes griz since he was a high school teammate of Gresh Jensen.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:22 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:Colter's article on the Griz recruiting weekend contains a little tidbit on a guy visiting us next week.
I saw that, Gavin Robertson, Arizona, Safety. Looks like he's choosing between us and the griz. I'm guessing he goes griz since he was a high school teammate of Gresh Jensen.
Also, not sure if he wants to transfer mid year, but classes at UM dont start for another week or so. MSU started back last week.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:14 pm

wbtfg wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Also, not sure if he wants to transfer mid year, but classes at UM dont start for another week or so. MSU started back last week.

That would need to be a quick decision. If he's visiting us this weekend and school starts at um on Monday.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:36 am

Metcalf is the son of Eric Metcalf and grandson of Terry Metcalf both nfl veterans. His HS coach is Joey Thomas. He doesn’t have off the charts numbers, but 45-615-1 is very good considering he was opposite the Washington player of the year Treshaun Harrison at wr and he didn’t start playing football until his freshman year.