Best recruiting class ever?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:41 pm

It would be fun to rank/debate what year was the best recruiting class of all time (at least from the past 10-15 years or so)..... sounds like a good project for VIM... :D

Obviously this years class looks nuts, but we will have no idea until 3-4 years from now.

A couple classes that would have to be near the top of the list (not sure of the years):

McGhee's class: Off the top of my head (might not be correct), but I believe you had Mcghee/Kirk/Bleskin/Minter/Daly in the same class, just to name a few, I know there were other good players from that class as well.

Kramers first recruiting class: Again this is more of a guess- But I believe you had guys like Lulay/Cordero/Montoya/Roger Cooper/Ioane all in the same class...???

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Cat_gld
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: Best recruiting class ever?

Post by Cat_gld » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:09 pm

mslacatfan wrote:It would be fun to rank/debate what year was the best recruiting class of all time (at least from the past 10-15 years or so)..... sounds like a good project for VIM... :D

Obviously this years class looks nuts, but we will have no idea until 3-4 years from now.

A couple classes that would have to be near the top of the list (not sure of the years):

McGhee's class: Off the top of my head (might not be correct), but I believe you had Mcghee/Kirk/Bleskin/Minter/Daly in the same class, just to name a few, I know there were other good players from that class as well.

Kramers first recruiting class: Again this is more of a guess- But I believe you had guys like Lulay/Cordero/Montoya/Roger Cooper/Ioane all in the same class...???
I believe McGhee's class was 2009; I think you missed the mark on Kramers 1st class in 2000. Ioane is correct but Lulay didn't come on board until 2002.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:10 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Lulay signed in Feb of 02 and wasn't in with those guys. If I remember correctly, I think Lulay's class was actually pretty terrible.

Coop and Kane I believe signed in 2000.

Cordiero and Montoya were 99. Along with Turnquist, Hackett, Van Cleeve, Elliott, Swaggert, Corey Smith. WIth all those guys, 99 will be right up there at/near the top.
Last edited by wbtfg on Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:27 pm

mslacatfan wrote:It would be fun to rank/debate what year was the best recruiting class of all time (at least from the past 10-15 years or so)..... sounds like a good project for VIM... :D

As always, time will tell.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:38 pm

wbtfg wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
Lulay signed in Feb of 02 and wasn't in with those guys. If I remember correctly, I think Lulay's class was actually pretty terrible.

Coop and Kane I believe signed in 2000.

Cordiero and Montoya were 99. Along with Turnquist, Hackett, Van Cleeve, Elliott, Swaggert, Corey Smith. WIth all those guys, 99 will be right up there at/near the top.
Yea Hysell had a great class his last year.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:39 pm

Kramer's 2007 class was great. It only had nine players, but 8 of them were all conference. CBignell, Terrien, Burbank, Davis, Dennehy, Ogden, Robison, Craney.

2009 was very good with McGhee, Gilbert, TBleskin, Kirk, Gale, Minter, Keli'i, Brad Daly, Jones, Fuller, Grosulak.

2011 was our best OL year with Eekhoff, Godecke, Weidenaar, Horn, and Devereux, but 2007 was good that way too.

2016 has already been one of our best years.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:28 pm

iaafan wrote:Kramer's 2007 class was great. It only had nine players, but 8 of them were all conference. CBignell, Terrien, Burbank, Davis, Dennehy, Ogden, Robison, Craney.

2009 was very good with McGhee, Gilbert, TBleskin, Kirk, Gale, Minter, Keli'i, Brad Daly, Jones, Fuller, Grosulak.

2011 was our best OL year with Eekhoff, Godecke, Weidenaar, Horn, and Devereux, but 2007 was good that way too.

2016 has already been one of our best years.
What makes it even more impressive was the fact that Choate and 80% of the coaching staff were not even set until December. So they basically had 2 months to put that class together and keep a lot of the prior commits Ash and co. already had secured verbally.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:12 pm

You don't need to wait 3-4 years. You can just compare it to how you felt about other incoming classes at the time they came in. This class ranks right up there with best in the last 10-15 years when you look at it that way. The last class I was this excited about was McGhee's class. That was best On Signing Day class until yesterday. Call it a toss up.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:28 pm

TomCat88 wrote:You don't need to wait 3-4 years. You can just compare it to how you felt about other incoming classes at the time they came in. This class ranks right up there with best in the last 10-15 years when you look at it that way. The last class I was this excited about was McGhee's class. That was best On Signing Day class until yesterday. Call it a toss up.
Based on that logic, you could say that Marino and Prevost's class was probably the best class we've ever had in terms of hype. It's been fairly short on production though, with a few exceptions of course. Bryson Keeton, Connor Sullivan, Wright and Grant Collins came from that class, so some solid contributors. Tavon Dodd (don't get me wrong, a solid contributor, but no longer with the team) Anthony Knight, Prevost, Marino, Curtis Amos (jury's still out), Trevin (sp?) Thompson, Marinello, Oldenberger. All no longer with the team for one reason or another but all were highly regarded at the time, especially Knight, Prevost, and Marino.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:33 pm

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:You don't need to wait 3-4 years. You can just compare it to how you felt about other incoming classes at the time they came in. This class ranks right up there with best in the last 10-15 years when you look at it that way. The last class I was this excited about was McGhee's class. That was best On Signing Day class until yesterday. Call it a toss up.
Based on that logic, you could say that Marino and Prevost's class was probably the best class we've ever had in terms of hype. It's been fairly short on production though, with a few exceptions of course. Bryson Keeton, Connor Sullivan, Wright and Grant Collins came from that class, so some solid contributors. Tavon Dodd (don't get me wrong, a solid contributor, but no longer with the team) Anthony Knight, Prevost, Marino, Curtis Amos (jury's still out), Trevin (sp?) Thompson, Marinello, Oldenberger. All no longer with the team for one reason or another but all were highly regarded at the time, especially Knight, Prevost, and Marino.
I agree with this 100%. In my mind that class was the definition of scary good.

Marino, knight, provost, and don't forget wawa leota. Those dudes looked all world.

That said, from what I gather, this group looks extremely strong academically and very high character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:44 pm

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Tucker Yates also in that class.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."