Stars were out in 2016 and 2017

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Stars were out in 2016 and 2017

Post by iaafan » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:16 am

In 2016 MSU had 11 star-rated players out of 23 non-walk ons. In 2017 it was even better with 14 (and counting?) star-rated players out of 22 non-walk ons. That's 25 of 45. Compared to the biggest two year run in past years it's very favorable. There were 16 of 53 in 14-15. 10 of 42 in 12-13. MSU had a total of 30 stars when you the 4, 3, and 2 star-rated players in 2016 and 34 stars when you do the same in 2017.

Of the 11 from 2016, 8 made significant contributions with Neale, Padmos and Walker starting all 11 games. Carroll and Bruggman were part-time starters. Hale, Washington, and Kassis all got considerable playing time, especially Kassis, who you could call a starter as the return man. The other recruits didn't do too shabby. Obviously Murray (surprisingly no-star recruit) made a huge impact, Peppenger started as the XP and FG kicker, the McCarthy brothers were on the field a lot, Marks played a lot late in the year. Pegues, Hadley, Tucker, all got time. That's 15 scholarship players out of 23 and one walk-on. Seven of them were true-freshmen of which four got plenty of PT.

There's no telling how this year's batch will do and I'm not even sure which players (of those listed above Padmos, Marks and Pegues were for sure and I think Tucker was also) were already on board that Ash recruited, but if 2016 is anything like 2017 I'd gladly take it.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: Stars were out in 2016 and 2017

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:14 am

Great point. I know that stars don't mean much at this point, but when was the last time we had six 3-star and eight 2-star recruits in one class? Kudos to our coaching staff, what a great job they did! I was especially impressed that they were able to hang on to all 3 CBs (esp 3-star Jalen Cole) despite Coach Alexander moving on. Very impressive work!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:40 pm

Star ratings are what they are. I have to believe that the raters have a strong understanding of what they're doing. I think this class will produce some excellent players. I would rate all of our Montana signees as 2-star or higher. I think five of them are 3-star. It was a great year for high school talent in Montana.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:41 pm

Star rankings are hit or miss, especially at the 2-3 star level. But it does mean they are on a lot of radars, and if you read Skyline's article, it looks like we beat out some bigger schools for several of the kids.

Maybe Colter could elaborate if he feels compelled. :)

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:00 pm

They were definitely mostly hit last year. I think that's generally the case, but not to the extent we saw last year.

But good luck picking which ones are hit and which are miss.

Many thought Bruggman and Hale would tear it up last year as 4-stars, but Bruggman stuggled and Hale fought injuries, but he showed flashes of good things to come late in the year. Neale, a 3-star, excelled at center. Walker, a 3-star, was the best of the bunch IMO. Padmos, a 2-star, was steady, but can improve. Kassis did very well due to his versatility. Washington showed some good signs.

bgskyfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by bgskyfan » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:27 pm

Agree with you star review. A friend of mine played in the league for several years as a WR. We were discussing star ratings and he said that the average star rating for High School players now in the NFL is 2 or 3 stars. He said alot of the 4 and 5 star kids either dont make it or peak in college. Or even get into trouble on or off the field. It seems the 2 or 3 star kids have more to prove.Of course thats just an average but it is interesting. This class is very talented. Lots of players with many offers that chose MSU which is very cool to see.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:30 pm

Great class.

Now the coaches have to hold them accountable for becoming who they are capable of becoming. From a football, academic and citizenship perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:16 am

By no means am I saying star rating equates to success automatically. Sometimes, probably most times, the star rating is the result of putting in the time and work necessary to improve. Like Colter was saying in another thread when he was describing Dane Fletcher, it's the players that are willing to make the sacrifices to improve their game and put in the work that rise to the top. There is no end to the work. Look at Steph Curry, who goes out a couple hours before each game and goes through a myriad of drills. There are players that are already accomplished NFL/MLB/NBA stars and much better than any that will ever walk through the doors of any BSC schools that put in way more work than 90% of the guys that signed across the country on Wednesday.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:50 am

It would be interesting to see the star ratings of Montana HS players that made it to the NFL/CFL. Pretty sure not many had any star rating - Fletcher, Person, Coyle, Anderson, Mariani (walk-on who was cut first year), Bierman, Reynolds, Tripp, Shillinger, Hillard-- my guess is the only guys with stars we're Dwan Edwards and Brock Osweiller.

Seems the only way Montana kids get a star rating is to have an offer from a P5 school, or a bunch of FBS schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:08 am

JDoub wrote:It would be interesting to see the star ratings of Montana HS players that made it to the NFL/CFL. Pretty sure not many had any star rating - Fletcher, Person, Coyle, Anderson, Mariani (walk-on who was cut first year), Bierman, Reynolds, Tripp, Shillinger, Hillard-- my guess is the only guys with stars we're Dwan Edwards and Brock Osweiller.

Seems the only way Montana kids get a star rating is to have an offer from a P5 school, or a bunch of FBS schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It might be a better sample size if you include North and South Dakota, Wyoming, and Idaho. I would venture to say that high school players get "star" overlooked in those states as well.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:37 am

Okay so I did the research myself because I was curious. Information is gathered from scavenging online, so take with a grain of salt.

Jalen Cole - Colorado State, Idaho (Brown, Columbia, Cornell)
Kyle Rygg - Idaho, Air Force (Cornell, NAU, PSU, Columbia)
Zach Redd - Idaho (only FCS offer)
Brody McKnight - Air Force, Idaho (only FCS offer)
Travis Yates - Hawaii, UCF, Nevada (NAU)
Sean Hatten - Fresno State, Nevada (Indiana State, UNC, St. Francis, UC Davis, Weber)
Stephen Omorogbe - Air Force (obviously), FIU, Army, Colorado State, Kent State, Middle TN State, Georgia State, Southern Miss (Cornell, JMU, Yale, Princeton, Presbyterian, Mercer, Harvard, FAMU, Elon, EKU, Columbia, Colgate, Central Arkansas, Campbell, Bucknell, Brown, Alcorn State). - sheesh
James Campbell - (Jacksonville)
Tyrel Burgess - (Indiana State)

Of course I can't really put Idaho as FBS anymore.

As far as I can tell, these are the only guys we offered that were offered elsewhere (outside of MT). This doesn't include the transfers, although I did include the Omorogbe since he is essentially a freshman recruit.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast