Montana Recruits 2018

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: Montana Recruits 2018

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:26 am

Looks like Shuman participated and did well.

http://vype.com/northwestprepreport/201 ... ce-talent/

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

HowardRoss280
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HowardRoss280 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:33 am

Hawks86 wrote:Looks like Shuman participated and did well.

Nice find. Pretty good article too

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:34 am

Just FYI
THE CAMP IS DESIGNED TO ATTRACT D-2, NAIA, D3, AND SOME JUCO COLLEGES
The higher end MT kids would probably participate in the summer camps that have FBS and FCS coaches in attendance.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:39 am

Good for Carson. Howard convinced me on some things with his game. He will be a Top 10 kid in my next ranking.

However, beware of anything posted from Dirk Knudsen of the NorthwestPrepReport when talking about Montana kids. His knowledge of Montana is minimal and he bases all of his opinions mostly off of kids who attend camps. For example, he ranked his "Top 5" Montana kids for 2017 and his list included:

Nate Dick (only because he won the GPOY)
McKenzie Holt (because he attended individual camps and impressed with his athleticism last summer)
Payton O'Reilly (who is currently a redshirt freshman at Miami of Ohio because he already graduated and shouldn't have been on his list; and he wasn't talking about Callahan in his write-up)
Carson Katen (a good player from Florence/Carlton in 2016 and made 1st Team DE his senior season in the 7B Conference; he didn't sign anywhere and wasn't selected as a starter or alternate to any all-class all-star games in Montana this summer)
Mitchell Porter (a MLB from Billings West who wasn't even a Top 7 player on his own team)

Nothing against these kids but Holt, Katen, and Porter attended the camp...so they got to be in his ranking. This tells me he doesn't do any research into our state at the high school level. Here is the article:

https://t.co/r8nV0YNcKE

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

HowardRoss280
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HowardRoss280 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:43 am

Hawks86 wrote:Just FYI
THE CAMP IS DESIGNED TO ATTRACT D-2, NAIA, D3, AND SOME JUCO COLLEGES
The higher end MT kids would probably participate in the summer camps that have FBS and FCS coaches in attendance.
I saw Quick in one of the pictures so he attended.
And yes I agree that higher end prospects will attend in higher scouted camps but this also was one of the first camps so maybe it was just a showing thing? Something for the kids to get the rust out? not really sure, we'll have to see if the MT kids who attended this camp go to some higher end camps also.

HowardRoss280
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HowardRoss280 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:46 am

VimSince03 wrote:

Good for Carson. Howard convinced me on some things with his game. He will be a Top 10 kid in my next ranking.

However, beware of anything posted from Dirk Knudsen of the NorthwestPrepReport when talking about Montana kids. His knowledge of Montana is minimal and he bases all of his opinions mostly off of kids who attend camps. For example, he ranked his "Top 5" Montana kids for 2017 and his list included:

McKenzie Holt (because he attended individual camps and impressed with his athleticism last summer)
Payton O'Reilly (who is currently a redshirt freshman at Miami of Ohio because he already graduated and shouldn't have been on his list; and he wasn't talking about Callahan in his write-up)
Carson Katen (a good player from Florence/Carlton in 2016 and made 1st Team DE his senior season in the 7B Conference; he didn't sign anywhere and wasn't selected as a starter or alternate to any all-class all-star games in Montana this summer)
Mitchell Porter (a MLB from Billings West who wasn't even a Top 7 player on his own team)

Nothing against these kids but Holt, Katen, and Porter attended the camp...so they got to be in his ranking. This tells me he doesn't do any research into our state at the high school level. Here is the article:

Good point. Only ranks kids who attend camp really isn't ranking kids on skill overall in the state.
Good for Shuman for getting in the mentions though. He went and must have done pretty well to get a mention out of 350 prospects.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:49 am

HowardRoss280 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

Good point. Only ranks kids who attend camp really isn't ranking kids on skill overall in the state.
Good for Shuman for getting in the mentions though. He went and must have done pretty well to get a mention out of 350 prospects.
Absolutely. Carson has attacked his recruitment and is doing everything he can to get his name out there. I understand every situation is different but I wish more Montana kids did this. Carson is also training at The Pitt in Bozeman. Just throwing that little nugget out there.
Last edited by VimSince03 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

HowardRoss280
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HowardRoss280 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:55 am

VimSince03 wrote:
HowardRoss280 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

Absolutely. Carson has attacked his recruitment and is doing everything he can to get his name out there. I understand ever situation is different but I wish more Montana kids did this. Carson is also training at The Pitt in Bozeman. Just throwing that little nugget out there.
Have to respect the grind! I have heard good things about The Pitt. All that work will most certainly pay off.
I agree with you Vim, some kids may not be able to attend all these camps but if they can they should, even if they have plans of going FBS, FCS, they should do everything possible to get there name out there, there are so many ways today for players to get known by recruiters that it is silly to not take advantage of them!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:05 am

https://twitter.com/CoachBJ_MSU/status/834042381028581376 So when it comes to recruiting future offensive lineman when they don't have the weight coming out of high school, frame and build matters. Caleb is a great example! Had tons of room to add weight on to a tall frame. He is now one of our more versatile lineman.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:08 am

Like Vim mentioned. Glacier participating in the NW Borders camp is one of the reasons they are so good. When you get to play against guys/teams like Brett Rypien and perform well, it proves that MT teams and kids can compete with the top level in the NW.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:18 pm

So upon further digging, Carson Shuman and Conor Quick attended the camp last weekend.
https://twitter.com/NWprepreport/status/833015357749096449 Quick is on the lower right.

HowardRoss280
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HowardRoss280 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:44 pm

When's the next camp?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:58 pm

HowardRoss280 wrote:When's the next camp?
Which one? Assuming ones that Montana kids will be going to won't get going until April.

HowardRoss280
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HowardRoss280 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:32 am

VimSince03 wrote:https://twitter.com/CoachBJ_MSU/status/834042381028581376 So when it comes to recruiting future offensive lineman when they don't have the weight coming out of high school, frame and build matters. Caleb is a great example! Had tons of room to add weight on to a tall frame. He is now one of our more versatile lineman.
Exactly. Players who have room to grow are always good prospects. Most recently the names who come to mind with this body type are Chase Benson and Cole Rosling. Both played DE and both had that tall frame with plenty of room to put some pounds on.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:34 am

HowardRoss280 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:https://twitter.com/CoachBJ_MSU/status/834042381028581376 So when it comes to recruiting future offensive lineman when they don't have the weight coming out of high school, frame and build matters. Caleb is a great example! Had tons of room to add weight on to a tall frame. He is now one of our more versatile lineman.
Exactly. Players who have room to grow are always good prospects. Most recently the names who come to mind with this body type are Chase Benson and Cole Rosling. Both played DE and both had that tall frame with plenty of room to put some pounds on.
Both were basically destined to be 270-280 lb defensive lineman.

HowardRoss280
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HowardRoss280 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:39 am

VimSince03 wrote:
HowardRoss280 wrote:
Both were basically destined to be 270-280 lb defensive lineman.
Very true. Who doesn't love a prospect who is 6'4 or taller with a body frame which can clearly hold 280 lbs? Everyone loves that.

FootballLover406
New Recruit

Post by FootballLover406 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:27 pm

The two Anaconda boys that are being investigated for rape. One of the young men involved in that is Kynan Kellegher rumor has it he is going to attend court in September he will be 18 and be tried as an adult for statutory rape. What a big mistake that kid made damn.. Great size, and strength young man made a very big mistkake..

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:32 pm

FootballLover406 wrote:The two Anaconda boys that are being investigated for rape. One of the young men involved in that is Kynan Kellegher rumor has it he is going to attend court in September he will be 18 and be tried as an adult for statutory rape. What a big mistake that kid made damn.. Great size, and strength young man made a very big mistkake..
So we can probably take that subject to another forum. I really don't want to start a discussion on that in this thread. Unfortunate news and terrible for everyone involved, especially the victim.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:02 pm

thanks vim!

between you and colter we're pretty damn lucky here.

appreciate the efforts by both of you!

FootballLover406
New Recruit

Post by FootballLover406 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:40 pm

Hey my bad Vim.. I just wanted to inform the people on the fourum..