Montana Recruits 2018

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

obiwanabe
New Recruit

Re: Montana Recruits 2018

Post by obiwanabe » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:39 pm

Again trying to post from my phone with fat fingers and limited skill--- sorry for typos.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:09 am

obiwanabe wrote:On the receiving end ,after looking at kopang and chouinard highlights posted by you and stats per great falls trib have to say I disagree that Estes and germer should be there as receivers. My class a loyalty is pushing me but chouinard is the best senior reciever bases on stats (and also lead all classes in interceptions and returns) and is clutch situationaly and fast. Kopangis is as clutch as anyone in any class. Estes nor germer played both ways and each lacks the stats of chouinard and kolapang
I disagree for the following reasons:

- Be wary of stat comparisons with WRs as number of games played, strength of schedule, class level, matchups, the QUARTERBACK, and offensive system all play a factor in one way or another. If you want to talk about stats, Whitehall's Wyatt Alexander had the best statistical season of any WR in any class last year...and Wyatt didn't even get an alternate spot on the Badlands Bowl roster. If it came down to stats, many more Class B & C kids would be getting selected to play in this game but that just isn't the reality. The reality is that Nick Germer and Mark Estes have upper-level traits at WR that made them FCS recruits. Now, Tyler Chouinard had arguably the most productive QB throwing him the football last year in Carson Rostad (only a sophomore). Tyler had plenty of opportunities all season and he capitalized. He also played in 12 games as Hamilton made the title game which bumped up the stats. David Koppang was featured along with junior WR Cooper Waters in a pass-heavy Loyola offense and, once again, he capitalized on his opportunities. His squad made the Class B semis so that equated to 11 games (his final game against Shelby was phenomenal). Mark Estes made a bold move in the offseason last year by transferring to Kalispell Glacier from Class C Drummond/Philispburg (who ended up winning the Class C 8-Man title). If you want to talk stats, Mark would have scored 6-7 touchdowns a game with well over 3,000 yards of offense if he would've stayed at Drummond his senior season. Instead, he transferred to the Wolfpack and got his first taste of the 11-man game. It took him a few games (2 catches for 15 yards in his first two) but after Glacier made a QB change, Mark's talent started to shine bright. He only played in 8 games (Kalispell played 9 but Mark missed the Big Sky game) but his final 6 game averages were impressive for AA: 5 catches for 113 yards with a touchdown per game. Chouinard's averages for all 12 of his games were 7 catches for 112 yards with 1-2 touchdowns per game so stats really weren't that far off if you take everything into account. You also noted that Tyler is fast but Mark is a state champion sprinter and was arguably the most explosive deep threat in AA last year not named Gabe Sulser. Basically, when Mark figured out how to play WR in the 11-man game last year, the results were promising. Last but not least, Nick Germer has been an established receiver at the AA level the past two years and a new QB played didn't really slow him down. He had some great games last fall, putting up 10+ catch games twice and eclipsing 140 receiving yards twice. He also had several "ghost" games where he didn't do much. But overall, Nick still showed all the characteristics on film that made him a FCS WR recruit in the first place. Also, saying a kid is "more clutch" isn't really a fair comparison as it is very subjective. I saw a whole lot of clutch plays between all of these kids films throughout the year. Tyler (the Dillon game) and David (the Shelby semifinal game) rose to the occasion in big moments....but so did Mark (the Helena Capital win to keep them in the playoff hunt where he had 5 catches for 147 yards with a touchdown) and Nick (his 11 catch, 118 yard performance in a shootout loss to Big Sky where he made catch after catch).

All I was really trying to say in my breakdown was I believe this is a better roster:

WR - Gabe Sulser, Logan Kleinhans, Mark Estes, Nick Germer
CB/S - Ben LaBeau, Tyler Chouinard, Brock Peterson, David Koppang, Jackson Pepe, Garrett Graves

....than this roster:

WR - Gabe Sulser, Logan Kleinhans, Tyler Chouinard, David Koppang
CB/S - Damien Nelson, Tyler Dobie, Austin Green, Nick Germer

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:19 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
obiwanabe wrote:On the receiving end ,after looking at kopang and chouinard highlights posted by you and stats per great falls trib have to say I disagree that Estes and germer should be there as receivers. My class a loyalty is pushing me but chouinard is the best senior reciever bases on stats (and also lead all classes in interceptions and returns) and is clutch situationaly and fast. Kopangis is as clutch as anyone in any class. Estes nor germer played both ways and each lacks the stats of chouinard and kolapang

- Be wary of stat comparisons with WRs as number of games played, strength of schedule, class level, matchups, the QUARTERBACK, and offensive system all play a factor in one way or another. If you want to talk about stats, Whitehall's Wyatt Alexander had the best statistical season of any WR in any class last year...and Wyatt didn't even get an alternate spot on the Badlands Bowl roster. If it came down to stats, many more Class B & C kids would be getting selected to play in this game but that just isn't the reality. The reality is that Nick Germer and Mark Estes have upper-level traits at WR that made them FCS recruits. Now, Tyler Chouinard had arguably the most productive QB throwing him the football last year in Carson Rostad (only a sophomore). Tyler had plenty of opportunities all season and he capitalized. He also played in 12 games as Hamilton made the title game which bumped up the stats. David Koppang was featured along with junior WR Cooper Waters in a pass-heavy Loyola offense and, once again, he capitalized on his opportunities. His squad made the Class B semis so that equated to 11 games (his final game against Shelby was phenomenal). Mark Estes made a bold move in the offseason last year by transferring to Kalispell Glacier from Class C Drummond/Philispburg (who ended up winning the Class C 8-Man title). If you want to talk stats, Mark would have scored 6-7 touchdowns a game with well over 3,000 yards of offense if he would've stayed at Drummond his senior season. Instead, he transferred to the Wolfpack and got his first taste of the 11-man game. It took him a few games (2 catches for 15 yards in his first two) but after Glacier made a QB change, Mark's talent started to shine bright. He only played in 8 games (Kalispell played 9 but Mark missed the Big Sky game) but his final 6 game averages were impressive for AA: 5 catches for 113 yards with a touchdown per game. Chouinard's averages for all 12 of his games were 7 catches for 112 yards with 1-2 touchdowns per game so stats really weren't that far off if you take everything into account. You also noted that Tyler is fast but Mark is a state champion sprinter and was arguably the most explosive deep threat in AA last year not named Gabe Sulser. Basically, when Mark figured out how to play WR in the 11-man game last year, the results were promising. Last but not least, Nick Germer has been an established receiver at the AA level the past two years and a new QB played didn't really slow him down. He had some great games last fall, putting up 10+ catch games twice and eclipsing 140 receiving yards twice. He also had several "ghost" games where he didn't do much. But overall, Nick still showed all the characteristics on film that made him a FCS WR recruit in the first place. Also, saying a kid is "more clutch" isn't really a fair comparison as it is very subjective. I saw a whole lot of clutch plays between all of these kids films throughout the year. Tyler (the Dillon game) and David (the Shelby semifinal game) rose to the occasion in big moments....but so did Mark (the Helena Capital win to keep them in the playoff hunt where he had 5 catches for 147 yards with a touchdown) and Nick (his 11 catch, 118 yard performance in a shootout loss to Big Sky where he made catch after catch).

All I was really trying to say in my breakdown was I believe this is a better roster:

CB/S - Ben LaBeau, Tyler Chouinard, Brock Peterson, David Koppang, Jackson Pepe, Garrett Graves

....than this roster:

Just curious, does this Carson Rostad look like he may turn into a top QB? Very early but just wondering.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:28 pm

RickRund wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

....than this roster:

Just curious, does this Carson Rostad look like he may turn into a top QB? Very early but just wondering.
Oh he is already getting plenty of buzz. He will have a good chance to show off to all the college coaching staffs this summer...as a junior. He has prototypical everything when talking about QB play.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

HowardRoss280
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HowardRoss280 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:34 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
RickRund wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

....than this roster:

Oh he is already getting plenty of buzz. He will have a good chance to show off to all the college coaching staffs this summer...as a junior. He has prototypical everything when talking about QB play.
Very exciting prospect. If he grows another inch before he graduates and puts on a little weight, watch out.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:55 pm

HowardRoss280 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
RickRund wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

....than this roster:

Very exciting prospect. If he grows another inch before he graduates and puts on a little weight, watch out.
He played played center/power forward on their 3rd-place basketball team this winter. He's probably going to be 6'4", 195-200 by the time he's a senior. Maybe heavier.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:51 am

obiwanabe wrote:Again trying to post from my phone with fat fingers and limited skill--- sorry for typos.
I absolutely cannot type on the phone or tablet without using a little stylus... A must have!!

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:49 am

RickRund wrote:
obiwanabe wrote:Again trying to post from my phone with fat fingers and limited skill--- sorry for typos.
I absolutely cannot type on the phone or tablet without using a little stylus... A must have!!
These are the ones I buy. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013Q ... UTF8&psc=1

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:11 pm

allcat wrote:
RickRund wrote:
These are the ones I buy. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013Q ... UTF8&psc=1
My Note 8 came with one......

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:22 pm

allcat wrote:
RickRund wrote:
I picked up a little wireless bluetooth keyboard for around $20 and it works pretty slick.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat May 19, 2018 8:29 am

Rylan Wilcox a TE from Missoula Big Sky who signed with Tech will be walking on at MSU.
Wilcox, a senior, originally committed to play football at Montana Tech next year, but last Friday, the life-long Montana State Bobcat fan received an offer he couldn't refuse.

He's walking on to the Montana State football program. He doesn't know what position he'll be playing yet, but that doesn't matter right now. All Wilcox cares about, he said, is the spot on the team.

"I can't wait. Doors are opening that I'd never imagined would open," Wilcox said of the offer. "It's humbling, too. Growing up you never think something like that would happen."
http://406mtsports.com/high-school/west ... 2f1b4.html

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon May 21, 2018 11:51 am

Hawks86 wrote:Rylan Wilcox a TE from Missoula Big Sky who signed with Tech will be walking on at MSU.
Wilcox, a senior, originally committed to play football at Montana Tech next year, but last Friday, the life-long Montana State Bobcat fan received an offer he couldn't refuse.

He's walking on to the Montana State football program. He doesn't know what position he'll be playing yet, but that doesn't matter right now. All Wilcox cares about, he said, is the spot on the team.

"I can't wait. Doors are opening that I'd never imagined would open," Wilcox said of the offer. "It's humbling, too. Growing up you never think something like that would happen."
http://406mtsports.com/high-school/west ... 2f1b4.html
I ranked Rylan as my #8 TE in the state for the 2018 Montana Recruiting class for the final rankings. He's 6'4", 210 lbs. and his value will come from his blocking and effort.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri May 25, 2018 8:58 am

https://twitter.com/CoachBJ_MSU/status/1000024429986963457

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri May 25, 2018 9:50 am

https://twitter.com/WylieTom/status/1000036335774646273 Do I think that Justin was under recruited by both in-state FCS schools as a football player? Yes...yes I do.

HowardRoss280
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HowardRoss280 » Sat May 26, 2018 10:24 am

VimSince03 wrote:https://twitter.com/WylieTom/status/1000036335774646273 Do I think that Justin was under recruited by both in-state FCS schools as a football player? Yes...yes I do.
Hell to the yeah. Sadly, I don’t think he had the grades.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sat May 26, 2018 10:34 am

HowardRoss280 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:https://twitter.com/WylieTom/status/1000036335774646273 Do I think that Justin was under recruited by both in-state FCS schools as a football player? Yes...yes I do.
Hell to the yeah. Sadly, I don’t think he had the grades.
Why do you think that is any of our business?

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:41 am

https://twitter.com/GFTribGHiggins/status/1002710088841297920