2017 National Signing Day

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: 2017 National Signing Day

Post by tdub » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:11 pm

BlackhawkCat wrote:I think Bobby "big mouth" Stitt is going to regret saying our recruits didn't have the talent to be recruited by um. Little man with big mouth equals bad combo. He's in way over his head. MSU is the future um is the past. Parents concerned about their children's future send them to MSU. Glad we signed the Fitzgerald kid from Dillon. Greg his dad whose a former griz will see the difference. Little Big Man bob stitt just makes things worse ever time he speaks. Kinda sorta feel for him. Lol not really.
As a positive natured kind of guy, I really disagree with your tone of the post. I listened to Stitt's comments. He didn't say they got every FCS level kid in Montana. All he said was they did a good job identifying the FCS talent in Montana. He didn't say he ended up with all of them. He didn't say that the ones they didn't sign weren't FCS talent. So twisting those comments like that go a long ways to making us as Bobcat fans look bad. He's proud of the 10 he got. He should be and good for him as he got some good ones. I don't care if the griz are good. I just want MSU to always be better. There's some great Montana kids that sign, play football, and graduate from UM; and that is an awesome thing. Stitt's tone this years seemed 180 degrees different than last year. Is he learning? Who knows, but I still want to kick his tail on the field.

On paper, I LOVE MSU's incoming class, both the in state and out of state kids. I think MSU has a great coaching staff built that will develop all this potential into something special. Choate wants to beat the griz 365 days a year. And if the griz are doing great things and MSU still beats them, then that's even better.

On a side note, I was really worried about San Diego State taking a run at Hashley before signing day, so I was very relieved when I saw that letter come through.

Even coming off a 4-7 season, something just feels different about MSU Football right now. Not just excitement that there will be more wins, but just how things are being built the right way. Great foundation being laid and building up on something strong. Gone is that house of cards feel, that if something went wrong the whole thing would come crashing down.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:14 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:Ok guys we can probably get this thread back to talk about OUR recruiting class. Just a thought.
Yep!

Any concern with the height of the db's signed vim? They are both ballers (talking about the two from ca) but both are shorter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zero concern. They are both going to compete for playing time and possibly even start some games next year. Two of the best corner prospects we have ever signed in my opinion. And that isn't me having recency bias. I though Damien Washington was a good pickup last year. I never was big on Sidney Holmes out of Texas a few years ago. I thought Braelen Evans was a better RB than CB coming out of high school and his career has yet to take off at MSU coming into his junior season. Thought Bryce Alley had some excellent film but he still had flaws. Tyrel Thomas and Jalen Cole played for two of the best high school football teams in the nation and they produced. Sky is the limit with both of them.

Also, don't sleep on Keaton Anderson. I still think he has a bright future at safety even though there is talk of him competing at corner. In terms of ball skills and instincts, Keaton is off the charts for a Montana product at safety.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

bgskyfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by bgskyfan » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:44 pm

Great day yesterday for MSU. Thought I'd throw in a few thoughts. We got great kids coming in. Only time will tell as to how they mature and grow. I think as far as who may play early it is too soon for that but Ill give it shot. Based on the coaches comments yesterday, size, level of competition they played at, and MSU positional needs I would say this: Cole, Thomas have a shot at some reps. Both played at schools that are playing at a level in which quite frankly most high schools cannot understand. I think Yates at 270 lbs to could be in the mix based on what the coaches said and and too, he comes from the sam league as the other 2 mentioned. I would imagine that most kids playing on the line have not seen Olineman that average 300 pounds across and are D1, SEC, Big ten commits. I also love the Air Force kid transfer at DE (Wont try to spell his name). He has length and looks very athletic especially if he can drop back in coverage as stand up linebacker/DE. Other than that we have a ton of talent but most of the young men are pretty thin still and will need to bulk up. I give a ton of credit to guys like Marks who played last year at prob around 6 ft 1 230 and made some plays and held his own. Thats is awesome too see. I also hear he is a great kid. I would throw Vander in their and possibly Hashley who I would put at a 5 tech on 3 and long and have him pass rush. just a few thoughts.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:45 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:Ok guys we can probably get this thread back to talk about OUR recruiting class. Just a thought.
Yep!

Any concern with the height of the db's signed vim? They are both ballers (talking about the two from ca) but both are shorter.

Zero concern. They are both going to compete for playing time and possibly even start some games next year. Two of the best corner prospects we have ever signed in my opinion. And that isn't me having recency bias. I though Damien Washington was a good pickup last year. I never was big on Sidney Holmes out of Texas a few years ago. I thought Braelen Evans was a better RB than CB coming out of high school and his career has yet to take off at MSU coming into his junior season. Thought Bryce Alley had some excellent film but he still had flaws. Tyrel Thomas and Jalen Cole played for two of the best high school football teams in the nation and they produced. Sky is the limit with both of them.

Also, don't sleep on Keaton Anderson. I still think he has a bright future at safety even though there is talk of him competing at corner. In terms of ball skills and instincts, Keaton is off the charts for a Montana product at safety.
Man, safety has been a big developmental area for us in the past few seasons and now it may look like one of our stronger position groups. McCabe is an absolute beast, Konkol showed glimpses of an all conference safety IMO and Garcia rotating in as the 3rd guy is a luxury most teams don't have. Ideally, I would like to see it remain those 3 in the rotation (barring injury of course) for 2017 and redshirt Keaton. Then he steps in for McCabe as a redshirt freshman in 2018 and 4 years of him terrorizing BSC O Coordinators!

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:09 pm

Are there any other videos from yesterday. I watched the one with Choate, but was wondering if there were any videos (besides hudl) that were shown about the players? Would love to see something.

Punters are people too!!

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:29 pm

tdub wrote:
BlackhawkCat wrote:I think Bobby "big mouth" Stitt is going to regret saying our recruits didn't have the talent to be recruited by um. Little man with big mouth equals bad combo. He's in way over his head. MSU is the future um is the past. Parents concerned about their children's future send them to MSU. Glad we signed the Fitzgerald kid from Dillon. Greg his dad whose a former griz will see the difference. Little Big Man bob stitt just makes things worse ever time he speaks. Kinda sorta feel for him. Lol not really.
As a positive natured kind of guy, I really disagree with your tone of the post. I listened to Stitt's comments. He didn't say they got every FCS level kid in Montana. All he said was they did a good job identifying the FCS talent in Montana. He didn't say he ended up with all of them. He didn't say that the ones they didn't sign weren't FCS talent. So twisting those comments like that go a long ways to making us as Bobcat fans look bad. He's proud of the 10 he got. He should be and good for him as he got some good ones. I don't care if the griz are good. I just want MSU to always be better. There's some great Montana kids that sign, play football, and graduate from UM; and that is an awesome thing. Stitt's tone this years seemed 180 degrees different than last year. Is he learning? Who knows, but I still want to kick his tail on the field.

On paper, I LOVE MSU's incoming class, both the in state and out of state kids. I think MSU has a great coaching staff built that will develop all this potential into something special. Choate wants to beat the griz 365 days a year. And if the griz are doing great things and MSU still beats them, then that's even better.

On a side note, I was really worried about San Diego State taking a run at Hashley before signing day, so I was very relieved when I saw that letter come through.

Even coming off a 4-7 season, something just feels different about MSU Football right now. Not just excitement that there will be more wins, but just how things are being built the right way. Great foundation being laid and building up on something strong. Gone is that house of cards feel, that if something went wrong the whole thing would come crashing down.
Great post. I saw nothing wrong with Stitt"s comments. Far better than the previous year.

Now let's get back to talking OUR class and not sounding like idiots bitching about their coach.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:31 pm

GoCats18 wrote:Are there any other videos from yesterday. I watched the one with Choate, but was wondering if there were any videos (besides hudl) that were shown about the players? Would love to see something.
Each player had 2 or 3 clips from their hudl video shown. That was it.

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:04 pm

What I keep looking for is someone to put together a list by position on our new recruits. Cough Vim Cough. Ie how many at each respective position and who. I know they are listed individually but haven't seen it broken down by position which I think would be interesting to see

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:19 pm

catgrad05 wrote:What I keep looking for is someone to put together a list by position on our new recruits. Cough Vim Cough. Ie how many at each respective position and who. I know they are listed individually but haven't seen it broken down by position which I think would be interesting to see
Visit the first page. Has now been updated with the recruits in positional groups.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:40 pm

VIM- curious if you are going to come up with a list ranking the recruits (in your opinion), or a top 10 or something?

FTG- GO CATS GO!

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:50 pm

Vim, do you ever feel that you have created a tremendously needy and dependent monster in the rest of us? Thanks for what you do.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:03 pm

thefrank1 wrote:Vim, do you ever feel that you have created a tremendously needy and dependent monster in the rest of us? Thanks for what you do.

77matcat
Member # Retired

2017 National Signing Day

Post by 77matcat » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:12 pm

lutecat wrote:
tdub wrote:

Great post. I saw nothing wrong with Stitt"s comments. Far better than the previous year.

Now let's get back to talking OUR class and not sounding like idiots bitching about their coach.

You are wise beyond your years grasshopper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:56 pm

https://twitter.com/MSUBobcatsFB/status/827330252674363395

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:09 pm

WATCH: National Signing Day: MSU assistants on Class of 2017
http://skylinesportsmt.com/nsd-msu-assistant-video/

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:57 pm

After taking a look at the CATS 2017 signing list broken down by position I couldn’t help but notice how balanced across the board it is when comparing it to the # of position group players that are needed.........for example;

Position.......Typ # of players..............# of players............Players
Group............on the field....................signed.............. Transfers in Bold
QB.................. 1.................................2 ..................Rovig, O'Reilly
RB................ 1 to 3............................. 4 ..................Vander, Roper, Burgess, Fitzgerald
WR................ 2 to 4............................ 4 ..................McCutcheon, Patterson, Campbell, Hanser
OL................... 5+.............................. 4 ..................Hatten, Wood, Redd, McKnight
DL................. 3 to 4+........................... 5 ..................Omorogbe, Hashley, Yates, Rygg, Morgan
LB................. 2 to 4.............................4....................Kanow, Gilman, Andersen, Davis
DB................. 4 to 5............................ 4....................Gardenhire, Cole, Thomas, Anderson

This shows that the coaching staff feels that they have a good balance of players per position group that can contribute on the roster now, and therefore were not looking to have to ‘bolster’ at any single position group. If I recall last year we we’re needing DL & DB’s more than other position groups like RB where we were loaded. I think when the # of recruits you sign per position group is proportional to the number of those positions that need to be on the field that is a great indication that both the current roster and the new recruits (until we find out otherwise) are ‘just what the doctor ordered’. Because both Newell & Brekke graduated explains why 2 out of 4 of our transfers are at the RB position.

I’m not smart enuf to guess as to which one of these players will have the most impact 4-5 years down the road, but I don’t feel too bad because when ‘walk-ons’ become Buck Buchanan winners, even DI coaches find it difficult as well. Looks like to me the coaching staff is off to a great 2017. GO CATS!
Last edited by The MICKSTER on Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:08 pm

The MICKSTER wrote:After taking a look at the CATS 2017 signing list broken down by position I couldn’t help but notice how balanced across the board it is when comparing it to the # of position group players that are needed.........for example;

Position.......Typ # of players..............# of players............Players
Group............on the field....................signed.............. Transfers in Bold
QB.................. 1.................................2 ..................Rovig, O'Reilly
RB................ 1 to 3............................. 4 ..................Vander, Roper, Burgess, Fitzgerald
WR................ 2 to 4............................ 4 ..................McCutcheon, Patterson, Campbell, Hanser
OL................... 5+.............................. 4 ..................Hatten, Wood, Redd, McKnight
DL................. 3 to 4+........................... 4 ..................Omorogbe, Hashley, Yates, Rygg, Morgan
LB................. 2 to 4.............................4....................Kanow, Gilman, Andersen, Davis
DB................. 4 to 5............................ 4....................Gardenhire, Cole, Thomas, Anderson

This shows that the coaching staff feels that they have a good balance of players per position group that can contribute on the roster now, and therefore were not looking to have to ‘bolster’ at any single position group. If I recall last year we we’re needing DL & DB’s more than other position groups like RB where we were loaded. I think when the # of recruits you sign per position group is proportional to the number of those positions that need to be on the field that is a great indication that both the current roster and the new recruits (until we find out otherwise) are ‘just what the doctor ordered’. Because both Newell & Brekke graduated explains why 2 out of 4 of our transfers are at the RB position.

I’m not smart enuf to guess as to which one of these players will have the most impact 4-5 years down the road, but I don’t feel too bad because when ‘walk-ons’ become Buck Buchanan winners, even DI coaches find it difficult as well. Looks like to me the coaching staff is off to a great 2017. GO CATS!

Or you could go the Bob Stitt route:

Number of WR's on the field.... 3 or 4...... Number of WR's on the roster.... 62

FTG- GO CATS GO!

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:34 pm

You are correct, the frizz have an 'unbalanced' roster heavy on WR's but that's their strategy, however they are also unbalanced at other position groups which requires an 'unbalanced' class to correct it. They only signed 22 this week, which tells me they'll probably go the transfer route later this spring/summer to plug their holes.

I neglected to point out that the CATS 2017 class didn't include a Tight End. However, next year we will have; Amos (JR), Sullivan (JR), Judisch (SO), and maybe Brandom (SO) if he isn't on the other side of the ball. Does anyone know if Brandom is heading to TE from DE?

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:17 pm

The MICKSTER wrote:You are correct, the frizz have an 'unbalanced' roster heavy on WR's but that's their strategy, however they are also unbalanced at other position groups which requires an 'unbalanced' class to correct it. They only signed 22 this week, which tells me they'll probably go the transfer route later this spring/summer to plug their holes.

I neglected to point out that the CATS 2017 class didn't include a Tight End. However, next year we will have; Amos (JR), Sullivan (JR), Judisch (SO), and maybe Brandom (SO) if he isn't on the other side of the ball. Does anyone know if Brandom is heading to TE from DE?
He is heading back to TE.

I honestly think him and Sullivan will split the time. He is way to athletic to keep on the sidelines.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:48 pm

The MICKSTER wrote:You are correct, the frizz have an 'unbalanced' roster heavy on WR's but that's their strategy, however they are also unbalanced at other position groups which requires an 'unbalanced' class to correct it. They only signed 22 this week, which tells me they'll probably go the transfer route later this spring/summer to plug their holes.

Judisch will still be a freshman as he redshirted last year.