2017 National Signing Day

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2017 National Signing Day

Post by catatac » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:04 pm

Best class ever? Kidding :D

VIM or Colter or anyone who wants to take a stab..... which of these players, if any, play against WSU next fall.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:21 pm

catatac wrote:Best class ever? Kidding :D

VIM or Colter or anyone who wants to take a stab..... which of these players, if any, play against WSU next fall.
I will have some thoughts on the class overall early next week but one certainty: one and probably both transfer running backs (Jake Roper, Edward Vander) will play next season. If Vander is what his film shows, I think he will start.

As Coach Choate said, it's very unlikely any of the new players on either line will play right away. That's nine players right there. The only way Tucker Rovig plays is if he starts.

On the flip side, running backs, wide receivers and defensive backs have a better chance of playing. I mentioned the transfers at RB.

I will not be surprised to see Jalen Cole, Tyrel Thomas and Keaton Anderson (especially if he plays corner, and Gregorak thinks he can) compete for playing time. I would be surprised if any of the wide receivers play next year, although James Campbell's speed is intriguing upon watching his film several more times. I could be over-estimating the speed of the competition he is playing against, but it won't surprise me if he's one of the five fastest players on the Bobcats Day 1. Matt Miller said he has Justin Paige speed; in a flat race, Paige is probably MSU's fastest player. With the departure of Jayshawn Gates, the slot position is wide open but Campbell will be playing wide receiver for the first time.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:24 pm

16VetCat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:https://twitter.com/Coach_Hout/status/826834532368162816
Can't wait to hear the announcer hang the handle Stephen "OH NO" Omorogbe on this guy after he develops into a bad@$$ pass-rusher.

Also, "Willie P" is military jargon for white phosphorous.. which pretty much burns through anything.. fun fact. 8)

Mainly I'm just beyond stoked for these kids and the future of Bobcat football.
In the marines, to us willie pete meant something was water proof

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:26 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:This is getting good Grizaddict, let me take dump and make popcorn before you continue. Before I do that I need to know the names of the main actors. You called Tom out, now pony up and call yourself out. If not, I'm giving this a bad rotten tomato review.
I deleted that post. Was an unnecessary jab on something I thought was common knowledge. Maybe it wasn't. Not worth rehashing.

The 4 players (2 in state and 2 out) that Colter mentioned were the ones I was referring to earlier. So I was not wrong.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:01 pm

A breakdown of all 20 kids who signed with the Montana schools today.

Griz and Cats offered full scholarship in spring of 2016

Troy Andersen
Keaton Anderson
Tadan Gilman
Jaxen Hashley
Braydon Deming - I wrote this story a few days after signing day last year - MSU extends three in-state offers for Class of 2017 - http://skylinesportsmt.com/msu-extends- ... s-of-2017/
The Bobcats extended scholarship offers through each player’s high school coach to Kalispell Glacier defensive end/outside linebacker Jaxen Hashley, Billings West outside linebacker Braydon Deming and Billings Senior safety Keaton Anderson.

Montana State also identified Baker safety/quarterback Luke Gonsioroski and Dillon quarterback/safety Troy Andersen as top prospects and contacted them to begin the recruiting process. After further evaluation, each should expect some sort of offer from MSU.

According to a source with direct knowledge of the situation, Montana State also made direct contact with Columbia Falls offensive tackle Zach Baker, Polson linebacker Matt Rensvold, Fairfield tight end/defensive end Chandler Allen, Billings Senior standout quarterback Nathan Dick and Missoula Sentinel quarterback/safety Mitch Roberts.
Both sides offered partial scholarship
Nathan Dick, partial both sides, only Montana said he could play QB
Lance McCutcheon (partial from MSU, took official visit to UM but went through my notes and cannot confirm he received an offer from Montana).

Offered by just Montana
WR Mitch Roberts (above)
ATH McKenzie Holt - Rob Ash, Mike Rider recruited Holt as a junior but his recruitment disappeared under Choate
WR Matthew Rensvold (Cats showed interest last spring but wanted Rensvold to play defense)
QB Tanner Wilson (did not hear from the Cats)
WR Michael McGinnis - (did not hear from the Cats)
WR Bryson Deming (interest from MSU last spring but no offer)
DE Tanner Hoerner (did not hear from the Cats)
LB Marcus Welnel (interest from MSU in spring and summer.

Offered only by Montana State
LB Ryan Davis (Partial) (never considered UM - family)
QB Callahan O’Reilly (Partial) (Received some interest from Montana through summer but ceased after Wilson committed)
WR Peyton Hanser PWO (Griz expressed interest)
DE Ty Morgan Ennis PWO (doubt he heard from the Griz - Class C in Bozeman's back yard)

Unknown
FB R.J. Fitzgerald of Dillon PWO - might’ve gotten PWO offer from Griz since his dad, Greg played at Montana but he was the one recruit I did not find out about until today so I have not talked to him yet.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:14 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:Choate, Bobcats announce Class of 2017 signing class
http://skylinesportsmt.com/bobcats-nsd-2017/

From this story:
Choate’s assertion his team only lost one player offered by both his Bobcats and the rival Grizzlies — UM and MSU each offered Montana Gatorade Player of the Year Nathan Dick a partial scholarship — came with some grey area. Montana State offered Montana signee Braydon Deming of Billings West last signing day but pulled his offer when another recruit committed. Montana State also showed strong interest in Montana signees linebacker Michael Matthews of Camas, Washington and safety Isiahia Banks of Denver, reportedly offering both. But MSU rescinded the offers upon receiving commitments from other prospects. Montana State recruited UM signee McKenzie Holt under its former coaching staff but not at all under Choate.

Details aside, Choate felt confident in the group he assembled, especially the ones who will keep their 406 area codes.

“Time will tell but I know this: by any measure, by anybody who knows ball, we got four out of the top five kids in this state,” Choate said. “We only offered one guy (Dick) who we didn’t get. From this state, they are offering those same guys. I’m not going to compare this to that. The bottom line is we got the guys we wanted and we feel good about it.”
Great breakdown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:17 pm

Apparently Choate struck some nerves with Griz fans! Good for him. =D^

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:33 pm

LTown Cat wrote:Apparently Choate struck some nerves with Griz fans! Good for him. =D^
Imo Choate makes them nervous. He's not the quiet leader Ash was, he's more charismatic, he's got more fire and competitive spirit. In general, he's more of a threat to their program.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:21 am

Common Cat wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:Apparently Choate struck some nerves with Griz fans! Good for him. =D^
Imo Choate makes them nervous. He's not the quiet leader Ash was, he's more charismatic, he's got more fire and competitive spirit. In general, he's more of a threat to their program.
I think this is what Choate was referring to in his hiring press conference, when he said something to the effect of "beating UM can't be 1 day a year, it has to be 365 days a year." You have to beat them on the recruiting trail, in the weight room, in the classroom, etc., to be able to beat them on the field. Now, whether we've "beaten" them in the recruiting wars will not be decided for probably 2-3 years based on this class, but it's the right approach to consistently ascend the conference, as we all know. I also believe we as fans, on both sides of the rivalry, focus on this stuff throughout the year more than the coaches do, but that was clearly a little attempt, by both Choate and Stitt I thought, to throw a little red meat out to the fan bases in their signing day conferences yesterday. Choate is just better at it than Bob.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:58 am

Hard to say, but based on last year's crop I don't know if 2-3 years will be the wait time. Last year's recruits had a huge impact and I think Vander, Roper, Omogobre(sp?) and Gardenhire, yes, Gardenhire could have huge impacts. Gardenhire will have a big impact on scout team schooling our WRs.

I mean no offense to our previous staff, but I think Choate, Miller, Messingham, Hout and Alexander's time in the FBS gave them a better ability to recruit. Our previous staff was mostly made up of low level FCS coaches. McEndoo and Pitre were about the only ones with any FBS experience, but most of that was as a player and they had very little FBS coaching experience.

I see All-BSC QB Jadrian Clark sent Choate a tweet complimenting him on the job he's doing. How often do you see that?

BlackhawkCat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BlackhawkCat » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:14 am

I think Bobby "big mouth" Stitt is going to regret saying our recruits didn't have the talent to be recruited by um. Little man with big mouth equals bad combo. He's in way over his head. MSU is the future um is the past. Parents concerned about their children's future send them to MSU. Glad we signed the Fitzgerald kid from Dillon. Greg his dad whose a former griz will see the difference. Little Big Man bob stitt just makes things worse ever time he speaks. Kinda sorta feel for him. Lol not really.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:02 am

I may have missed it in reading all of the comments and posts, the fact of the academic quality of the recruits.

MSU won out on the academic side for many as well as the football program. Quite a few had offers to other high end academic institutions.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:36 am

Saw in the paper this morning that Bobs Titt is bragging about his 10 Montana kids. He says that this will be the foundation of the future. Quite the change from his comment last year about Montana kids should consider it a privilege to play at Wa Griz and play for nothing. Just curious, but how many of the Griz signees from Montana received a full scholarship?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:56 am

Cataholic wrote:Saw in the paper this morning that Bobs Titt is bragging about his 10 Montana kids. He says that this will be the foundation of the future. Quite the change from his comment last year about Montana kids should consider it a privilege to play at Wa Griz and play for nothing. Just curious, but how many of the Griz signees from Montana received a full scholarship?
Braydon Deming received a full from both according to Colter.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

BlackhawkCat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BlackhawkCat » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:08 pm

The coaching staff at um top to bottom is atrocious. In the coaching ranks it's known as a coaching graveyard. If you can't win in Missoula you probably can't win anywhere. They put all of that money in football their supposed to succeed. I can't think of one head coach or assistant who's left for another job and was successful. I guess litttle booby hauck at San Diego State. As a head coach at UNLV booby was a colossal failure. Had lots of good excuses though why the Rebels failed. Montana State coaching tree has had tremendous success after leaving the Cats. Only more to come with Coach Choate.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:14 pm

BlackhawkCat wrote:The coaching staff at um top to bottom is atrocious. In the coaching ranks it's known as a coaching graveyard. If you can't win in Missoula you probably can't win anywhere. They put all of that money in football their supposed to succeed. I can't think of one head coach or assistant who's left for another job and was successful. I guess litttle booby hauck at San Diego State. As a head coach at UNLV booby was a colossal failure. Had lots of good excuses though why the Rebels failed. Montana State coaching tree has had tremendous success after leaving the Cats. Only more to come with Coach Choate.
That's kind of an interesting topic actually, and one that would derail this thread. The Cats have assistant coaches hired away seemingly every year, is that the same at UM?

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:15 pm

It is more than fair to say that Choate talks with way more enthusiasm than Stitt does, and because of just that fact alone he generates more gusto from us fans and hopefully even more fervor from the players.

From our reaction to this recruiting class compared to what’s on efrizz, it’s hard to not come to the conclusion that our recruiting class (so far) is superior to theirs, but time will tell.

I didn’t hear Choate talk about whether or not they have another scholarship that is available if the ‘right’ player comes available. However I get the feeling that the frizz have several and are banking on transfers to complete their recruiting before the fall. What a gamble that is!

I’ve posted this before, but the frizz lost 3 of 4 starters on their D-line (Kidder, Johnson, Peevey). Peevey was OK, Kidder was good, but I thought Johnson was the real deal. If you replay the LaSane run in CAT-frizz you’ll see that 60+ yards downfield Kidder slowed LaSane up so Johnson could make the tackle…..that’s hustle from Dlinemen! Will the frizz Dline transfers fill those gaps…..they could…..they might not. It appears their CB situation is highly suspect as well. But in their system not having a known commodity at QB is most likely their biggest concern.

The more I analyze the CATS upcoming roster I don’t see any glaring holes that need to be filled like the frizz. But that’s not to say there aren’t questions…… Will Murray develop as a passer? Can we replace the combo of Newell/Brekke? Without Flynn will our Oline be as good?

The most important factor that makes me feel optimistic and that others have mentioned is, the CATS got better as the season progressed and the frizz did the opposite to say the least. I think both recruiting classes show those trends are continuing. The only negative thing that has happened to the CATS since mid-November is we lost Alexander, but I think that was inevitable. I do think we should feel great about this recruiting class, especially when we compare to the other in state FCS school. The thing that makes me feel the most ‘warm & fuzzy’ inside is we have CHOATE & company and they have stitt.
GO CATS!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:28 pm

You're right Mick. Our little brother to the west is getting smaller and smaller. I hear enrollment is down to 8,600 from 9,100 last semester on the university campus. The MSU campus is at 15,250, continuing to close in on double. UM counts the 3,000 students from the Missoula College of Technology (Vo-Tech) as part of its enrollment that you read in the newspapers the UM press releases.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:34 pm

Ok guys we can probably get this thread back to talk about OUR recruiting class. Just a thought.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:53 pm

VimSince03 wrote:Ok guys we can probably get this thread back to talk about OUR recruiting class. Just a thought.
Yep!

Any concern with the height of the db's signed vim? They are both ballers (talking about the two from ca) but both are shorter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level