2017 National Signing Day

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

JDoub
Member # Retired

Re: 2017 National Signing Day

Post by JDoub » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:09 pm

One thing is certain, no one with objectivity is saying that Um has a better recruiting class than MSU. Most are ranking MSU in the top 3 in the Big Sky, with some putting EWU above MSU.

This alone is reason for optimism, and I honestly can't remember a time when this was the consensus.

Most years UMs class ranks above MSUs, especially with Montana HS recruits.

This, coupled with what we saw the second half of last season - the coaching ability to develop young fighters into field warriors, promotes justifiable optimism.

Let the good times roll

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:17 pm

JDoub wrote:One thing is certain, no one with objectivity is saying that Um has a better recruiting class than MSU. Most are ranking MSU in the top 3 in the Big Sky, with some putting EWU above MSU.

This alone is reason for optimism, and I honestly can't remember a time when this was the consensus.

Most years UMs class ranks above MSUs, especially with Montana HS recruits.

This, coupled with what we saw the second half of last season - the coaching ability to develop young fighters into field warriors, promotes justifiable optimism.

Let the good times roll

I have no problem admitting that yes ON PAPER your class looks very strong and probably better than Griz. However, no one with objectivity (to use your term) could say anyone beat EWU class. They absolutely slayed it. Their class is the #1 class in all of FCS in my opinion. They got a ton of 3 star and 2 star kids. If I were to rank, I'd say:

EWU
MSU
Toss up between UM, UND, NAU

I learned not to get too excited about all of it tough. The stats for recruiting classes is crazy. Something like in 3-4 years 50% will be lucky to still be on roster and only 1/3 will be actual contributors. So we will know more in 3 years I'd say.
Last edited by Grizaddict on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:19 pm

UND doesn't count anymore

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:20 pm

JDoub wrote:UND doesn't count anymore

Unfortunately through 2018 they do.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:22 pm

True grizaddict

But I feel much better with the 'rankings' now than I would if we were 13th

EWU is the best on paper. But I for one have serious doubts that their gutted coaching staff can keep it going next year. Baldwin had the magic touch.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:26 pm

JDoub wrote:True grizaddict

But I feel much better with the 'rankings' now than I would if we were 13th

EWU is the best on paper. But I for one have serious doubts that their gutted coaching staff can keep it going next year. Baldwin had the magic touch.

Oh I agree with that. It's always better for us fans to have good classes and higher rankings. I also agree it's going to be very interesting to see how EWU does. I think Baldwin was a damn genius.

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:09 pm

Baldwin is described as a "players coach" by everyone who played for him. He has the ability to extract the best from his players and he is an offensive genius. Tough combo to replace and I look for a decline in the results of the program. They will still be tough but have lost some of the mystical nature they have enjoyed during his tenure.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:42 pm

tdub wrote:
BlackhawkCat wrote:I think Bobby "big mouth" Stitt is going to regret saying our recruits didn't have the talent to be recruited by um. Little man with big mouth equals bad combo. He's in way over his head. MSU is the future um is the past. Parents concerned about their children's future send them to MSU. Glad we signed the Fitzgerald kid from Dillon. Greg his dad whose a former griz will see the difference. Little Big Man bob stitt just makes things worse ever time he speaks. Kinda sorta feel for him. Lol not really.
As a positive natured kind of guy, I really disagree with your tone of the post. I listened to Stitt's comments. He didn't say they got every FCS level kid in Montana. All he said was they did a good job identifying the FCS talent in Montana. He didn't say he ended up with all of them. He didn't say that the ones they didn't sign weren't FCS talent. So twisting those comments like that go a long ways to making us as Bobcat fans look bad. He's proud of the 10 he got. He should be and good for him as he got some good ones. I don't care if the griz are good. I just want MSU to always be better. There's some great Montana kids that sign, play football, and graduate from UM; and that is an awesome thing. Stitt's tone this years seemed 180 degrees different than last year. Is he learning? Who knows, but I still want to kick his tail on the field.

On paper, I LOVE MSU's incoming class, both the in state and out of state kids. I think MSU has a great coaching staff built that will develop all this potential into something special. Choate wants to beat the griz 365 days a year. And if the griz are doing great things and MSU still beats them, then that's even better.

On a side note, I was really worried about San Diego State taking a run at Hashley before signing day, so I was very relieved when I saw that letter come through.

Even coming off a 4-7 season, something just feels different about MSU Football right now. Not just excitement that there will be more wins, but just how things are being built the right way. Great foundation being laid and building up on something strong. Gone is that house of cards feel, that if something went wrong the whole thing would come crashing down.
This in bold! I want the Griz to beat Eastern every year too!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz