UND leaving BSC

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

UND leaving BSC

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:32 pm

https://twitter.com/tommillergf/status/823985850103070721

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: UND leaving BSC

Post by WalkOn79 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:39 pm

We (meaning the BSC)screwed this up! Should have extended an offer to NDSU and SDSU when we had the chance, then USD and UND would have both followed. Instead when went the route of California commuter schools!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:14 pm

This makes it easy for our "rival game" other than um, to be Idaho now.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:02 pm

I think we all saw this coming. It never really made sense for North Dakota for historical competition and traveling cost. Good for them, bad for the Big Sky.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:27 pm

Football doesn't move out until 2020 according to the article linked in the tweeet.

Walk-on
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Walk-on » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:47 pm

Too many green uniforms in the Big Sky anyway. Fun to laugh at the way North Dakotan's talk though.

Armchair QB and Monday Morning Extraordinaire

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:05 pm

lutecat wrote:This makes it easy for our "rival game" other than um, to be Idaho now.
One would assume so, but if not Idaho, it should be Weber by historical rivalries, which means the powers that be will assign us Northern Colorado. #-o. .... after all we did get stuck with UND.

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:28 pm

Bobcatsinmso wrote:
lutecat wrote:This makes it easy for our "rival game" other than um, to be Idaho now.
One would assume so, but if not Idaho, it should be Weber by historical rivalries, which means the powers that be will assign us Northern Colorado. #-o. .... after all we did get stuck with UND.
It depends on how much work the Big Sky wants to do with the rivals. If they want to be lazy the 2 Idaho rivals would be us and whoever the other UND rival was. But if they don't want to be lazy and actually assign real rivals they will have to re work most of the rivalries besides UM' 2 and Eastern's 2. If they really want to get smart they will make 3 rivalry games every year when the conference goes to a 9 game schedule.

bozbobcat
Member # Retired

Post by bozbobcat » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:49 pm

I think there might be a solution to keep a 2-rival system. It would be better to have three, but it would be nicer to get the Big Sky to an even number of football teams. It's really going to be a problem with basketball and an 11-team conference. For football, here are my thoughts on rivals.

Team Rival 1 Rival 2 Notes
MSU UM Idaho St. Having ISU for a rival would benefit both teams due to geographic proximity and historical rivalry, not the standings.
UM MSU Idaho This one was pretty easy to pick, even though it breaks up the UM-EWU guarantee game.
Idaho UM E. Wash This makes sense geographically.
EWU Idaho PSU
Idaho St. Weber St. MSU ISU would benefit from having a yearly game with a close rival. PSU-ISU was a leftover match.
Weber St. Idaho St. So. Utah
So. Utah Weber St. NAU
NAU So. Utah No. Colo.
No. Colo. NAU PSU PSU-Northern Colorado would be a leftover game. Otherwise, it would be ISU-PSU and MSU-UNC.
Sac St. UC-Davis Cal Poly
UC Davis Sac St. Cal Poly
Cal Poly Sac St. UC-Davis

If a fourteenth team could be found for 2 divisions, or one leaves, it would be easier, but this is what we have in the Big Sky.

GO CATS!
It's always a good day to be a Bobcat fan! :) =D^ \:D/
My name is Steve, if you'd like to know.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:19 pm

bozbobcat wrote:I think there might be a solution to keep a 2-rival system. It would be better to have three, but it would be nicer to get the Big Sky to an even number of football teams. It's really going to be a problem with basketball and an 11-team conference. For football, here are my thoughts on rivals.

MSU UM Idaho St. Having ISU for a rival would benefit both teams due to geographic proximity and historical rivalry, not the standings.
UM MSU Idaho This one was pretty easy to pick, even though it breaks up the UM-EWU guarantee game.
EWU Idaho PSU
Idaho St. Weber St. MSU ISU would benefit from having a yearly game with a close rival. PSU-ISU was a leftover match.
So. Utah Weber St. NAU
NAU So. Utah No. Colo.
No. Colo. NAU PSU PSU-Northern Colorado would be a leftover game. Otherwise, it would be ISU-PSU and MSU-UNC.

If a fourteenth team could be found for 2 divisions, or one leaves, it would be easier, but this is what we have in the Big Sky.
Pretty solid but I can't see the Big Sky or UM and Eastern wanting to break up that game every year. I think 3 rivalries and a different rotating system for non rivals would be ideal. No more going 4 seasons without playing a team. 2 would be ideal, 3 at most. Obviously it would take a lot logistically. It may even be possible to have an every other year rival or something, who knows. I think in a 3 team rivalry system at least the northern teams would benefit more than the 2 team system. 1 team would only have 2 rivals, but I think it would work.

MSU - EWU, UM, Idaho
UM - Idaho, EWU, MSU
EWU - PSU, UM, MSU
Idaho - UM, ISU, MSU
ISU - WSU, UNC, Idaho
WSU - ISU, UNC, SUU
SUU - WSU, NAU, UNC
UNC - ISU, WSU, SUU
NAU - SUU, Cal Poly, PSU
PSU - EWU, NAU, Sac State
Sac State - PSU, UC Davis, Cal Poly
UC Davis - Sac State, Cal Poly
Cal Poly - NAU, UC Davis, Sac State

The only non geographic rivalry would be NAU vs. PSU but that would make a lot more sense than NAU vs. Davis.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:24 pm

I never thought UND was a good fit for the Big Sky, so I'm not disappointed they're leaving.

Having said that, I thought the Summit was a basketball league. What football conference will they be joining?

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:37 pm

Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Pro: I'd be able to watch a game in person without leaving the state.
Con: It's Northern Colorado.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:25 pm

Cledus wrote:I never thought UND was a good fit for the Big Sky, so I'm not disappointed they're leaving.

Having said that, I thought the Summit was a basketball league. What football conference will they be joining?
MVFC I believe. The Summit is for all other sports.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:33 am

Cledus wrote:I never thought UND was a good fit for the Big Sky, so I'm not disappointed they're leaving.

MVFC but not until 2020.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:35 am

bozbobcat wrote:I think there might be a solution to keep a 2-rival system. It would be better to have three, but it would be nicer to get the Big Sky to an even number of football teams. It's really going to be a problem with basketball and an 11-team conference. For football, here are my thoughts on rivals.

EWU Idaho PSU
So. Utah Weber St. NAU
NAU So. Utah No. Colo.

I imagine Idaho and Idaho State would want to be rivals since they are in the same state.

lakesbison
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by lakesbison » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:53 pm

The Butcher wrote:I think we all saw this coming. It never really made sense for North Dakota for historical competition and traveling cost. Good for them, bad for the Big Sky.

bad for big sky? you got rid of an anchor, you should be happy as hell not to have to fly into FARGO, then drive north 70 miles to grand forks and back for a freakin volleyball game!

ps- screw you for sending that turd back to us :(

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:59 pm

I know I'm a bit slow here, but I'm just not understanding why UND joined the Big Sky in the first place since they want out so badly.

lakesbison
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by lakesbison » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:04 pm

They had no other choice, you were the only way they could play D1 sports.

do you feel like a whore now? :)

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:47 pm

lakesbison wrote:They had no other choice, you were the only way they could play D1 sports.

do you feel like a whore now? :)
Yup. I was always surprised the Big Sky took them alone when we failed or goofed to get more than one of the ND/SD schools.

I have close relatives in Minot and Fargo, so personally am sorry to lose the North Dakota connection.

hokeyfine
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by hokeyfine » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:51 pm

there were university presidents who didn't want ndsu/sdsu for some reason. remember, the university presidents have the final vote in who gets in and who doesn't....... i believe.