UND leaving BSC

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: UND leaving BSC

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:04 pm

hokeyfine wrote:there were university presidents who didn't want ndsu/sdsu for some reason. remember, the university presidents have the final vote in who gets in and who doesn't....... i believe.
Yes, that's correct.

I just reread this thread and could not find an answer -- so to you and lakesbison -- why now five years later has the MVFC opened the door to the previously untouchables?

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:06 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
hokeyfine wrote:there were university presidents who didn't want ndsu/sdsu for some reason. remember, the university presidents have the final vote in who gets in and who doesn't....... i believe.
Yes, that's correct.

I just reread this thread and could not find an answer -- so to you and lakesbison -- why now five years later has the MVFC opened the door to the previously untouchables?
Because they're becoming good.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:36 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Yes, that's correct.

F'ing money that wasn't there 5 years ago

Because fracking = $$$

$$$ = facilities = Total Cost of Attendance schollies = advantage fat people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Siouxfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Siouxfan » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:11 pm

JDoub wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Yes, that's correct.

Because fracking = $$$

NDSU fb had a vendetta against UND and refused to schedule us. They supported UND to the Slummit but wouldn't support UND to the MVFC. They then refused to schedule us in Grand Forks for 15 years so UND fb couldn't get corporate support. The NDSU president has recently been called on the carpet about this by the state board, and he officially lent his support in January for the MvFC in a published email or he would have been fired. He still is uncooperative to help much with joint research or joint degrees. The state board no longer has Fargo cronies that he can boss around.

NDSU has a history of their leaders being crooks and their fans love that kind of behavior. They honor a past president that have had egregious behavior, like building a mansion on campus on state funds illegally. He was finally run out of town for his lying and deceit, but NDSU fans have granted him sainthood. But if any other U leader does anything that NDSU finds harmful in the least, there are ready to send a Lynch squad out, like they did when Montana State canceled their game with them under the terms of the contract.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:46 am

JDoub wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Yes, that's correct.

Because fracking = $$$

Umm, do you keep up with current events? Fracking is on hold until further notice. There were over 200 rigs operating in NoDak 5 years ago, and under 40 this week. The state was facing a $1B budget shortfall as a result of the collapse in drilling activity.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:07 am

onceacat wrote:
JDoub wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Yes, that's correct.

Because fracking = $$$

Umm, do you keep up with current events? Fracking is on hold until further notice. There were over 200 rigs operating in NoDak 5 years ago, and under 40 this week. The state was facing a $1B budget shortfall as a result of the collapse in drilling activity.
The progress UND has made since 2012 correlates with oil production, which peaked in 2014-15, largely on the harvesting in Brakken. Fracking just makes a great sound bite.

Wiki:
2012, North Dakota passed Alaska to become the No. 2 oil-producing state in the country, which the Wall Street Journal attributed to the use of fracking. North Dakota's daily production of oil rose to over 575,000 barrels by 2012, slightly above Alaska but still far below Texas, which pumped 1.7 million barrels a day.[1] By June 2014 North Dakota was producing 1 million barrels a day, the most the state had ever produced.[2] As global oil prices dropped in late 2014 and early 2015, some analysts claimed the oil shale boom was in danger.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:05 pm

How long till the earthquakes start?

2024 Resume dominance

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:38 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:I just reread this thread and could not find an answer -- so to you and lakesbison -- why now five years later has the MVFC opened the door to the previously untouchables?
I thought it had something to do with the nickname fracas.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:11 pm

Helcat72 wrote:How long till the earthquakes start?
That only occurs in Oklahoma. Or so I'm told.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Siouxfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Siouxfan » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:03 pm

PapaG wrote:
Seems like the poster here are incredibly misinformed.

Fracking did not cause the Oklahoma earthquakes, but deep injecation wells of saline water this is produced from oil wells did. When OK stopped injection wells in certain areas, the earthquakes stopped.

UND is on track to win all four revenue sports in the Big Sky. That hasn't happened before. It does not correlate with oil. We won seven national championships in hockey without the Bakken and only one with it. Some correlation.

The oil price is much to blame for ND budgets shortfalls. Still pump hearty 1 mill barrels a day, but get half the revenue we used to get as the tax is based on price. A smaller part has to do with the number of rigs, as the entire cost of pipe and rig rental is subject to a sales tax. Used to be Williston would generate more sales tax for the state than the Fargo area, which has eight times the population.

People aren't making as much either, so the income taxes are down. We used to be the wealthiest state in the union for a few years.

NDSU was blocking us from the MVFC years ago, and they have been caught and their President has been reprimanded on threat of firing if it didn't change. He led the MVFC to vote us in now, b3cause he wanted to keep his job.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:00 pm

Siouxfan wrote:
PapaG wrote:

Fracking did not cause the Oklahoma earthquakes, but deep injecation wells of saline water this is produced from oil wells did. When OK stopped injection wells in certain areas, the earthquakes stopped.

UND is on track to win all four revenue sports in the Big Sky. That hasn't happened before. It does not correlate with oil. We won seven national championships in hockey without the Bakken and only one with it. Some correlation.

The oil price is much to blame for ND budgets shortfalls. Still pump hearty 1 mill barrels a day, but get half the revenue we used to get as the tax is based on price. A smaller part has to do with the number of rigs, as the entire cost of pipe and rig rental is subject to a sales tax. Used to be Williston would generate more sales tax for the state than the Fargo area, which has eight times the population.

People aren't making as much either, so the income taxes are down. We used to be the wealthiest state in the union for a few years.

NDSU was blocking us from the MVFC years ago, and they have been caught and their President has been reprimanded on threat of firing if it didn't change. He led the MVFC to vote us in now, b3cause he wanted to keep his job.
Take your facts and get out of here! =;

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:35 pm

Your High Performance Center is, to me, an example of how a stronger economic revenue stream in North Dakota directly influenced UND athletics in upward trajectory. First indoor practice facility in the Big Sky I believe? That's a $20M facility right? Are you saying oil production boom in North Dakota didn't have anything to do with donor and state funding of athletic facilities? Facilities, and the fact that UND offers full cost of attendance in athletic scholarships (again, donor and state $$) seems to have directly contributed to the success of UND football (and other athletic programs). No?

Totally understand the issue with NDSU president (I hadn't heard the whole story) but that is ancillary to the fact that North Dakota saw a massive economic boom that helped UND rise higher, regardless of conference. Without that boom, would UND be in the same situation? I guess you're saying yes. Maybe you're right. I'm just not sure how the MVFC would feel taking on a cellar dwelling Big Sky school with substandard facilities. Your success has made you more attractive to another conference.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:33 pm

I believe the real reason, or at least one of the primary reasons that UND wasn't wanted by the Horizon/Missouri Valley conferences was the controversy surrounding their nickname, and the possibility that they could be banned from hosting any post season events or games. Now that's been resolved, they are being welcomed with open arms. The timing seems to be more than just coincidental.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:16 am

I cannot believe that the Big Sky Conference is not requiring an exit fee, since they have obviously been used as a stepping-stone by UND into a Division I conference and then on to what was their original agenda. I know it's nice to take the high road with someone who did not, but they can surely afford it when they can make all those facilities investments, somewhat at the Big Sky's expense.

nodak651
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by nodak651 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:26 am

JDoub wrote:Your High Performance Center is, to me, an example of how a stronger economic revenue stream in North Dakota directly influenced UND athletics in upward trajectory. First indoor practice facility in the Big Sky I believe? That's a $20M facility right? Are you saying oil production boom in North Dakota didn't have anything to do with donor and state funding of athletic facilities? Facilities, and the fact that UND offers full cost of attendance in athletic scholarships (again, donor and state $$) seems to have directly contributed to the success of UND football (and other athletic programs). No?

Totally understand the issue with NDSU president (I hadn't heard the whole story) but that is ancillary to the fact that North Dakota saw a massive economic boom that helped UND rise higher, regardless of conference. Without that boom, would UND be in the same situation? I guess you're saying yes. Maybe you're right. I'm just not sure how the MVFC would feel taking on a cellar dwelling Big Sky school with substandard facilities. Your success has made you more attractive to another conference.

The first phase was only 13M, of which, the local hospital was the largest donor, at 9M. Scheels also donated 1M. I think it's a stretch to say that oil had anything to do with the construction of any of our athletic facilities.

If anything, Oil revenue may have helped UND sponsor more non revenue sports than almost any FCS school in the country. They are finally starting to cut some of these programs.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:58 am

nodak651 wrote:
JDoub wrote:Your High Performance Center is, to me, an example of how a stronger economic revenue stream in North Dakota directly influenced UND athletics in upward trajectory. First indoor practice facility in the Big Sky I believe? That's a $20M facility right? Are you saying oil production boom in North Dakota didn't have anything to do with donor and state funding of athletic facilities? Facilities, and the fact that UND offers full cost of attendance in athletic scholarships (again, donor and state $$) seems to have directly contributed to the success of UND football (and other athletic programs). No?

The first phase was only 13M, of which, the local hospital was the largest donor, at 9M. Scheels also donated 1M. I think it's a stretch to say that oil had anything to do with the construction of any of our athletic facilities.

If anything, Oil revenue may have helped UND sponsor more non revenue sports than almost any FCS school in the country. They are finally starting to cut some of these programs.
USD & SDSU are offering FCOA too. Id expect more MVFC schools to follow suit. Natural resource money always helps, but Fargo & Grand Forks both have pretty diversified economies-Health Care, Banking, and Education...Both cities had healthy, steady growth before and after the oil boom.

UND is just a much better fit for the MVFC than the BSC. The match never made sense for a variety of reasons, most obvious being geography. Get a couple of great seasons in the revenue sports, upgrade your facilities with local, and deal with any of the politics, and you've got a match made in heaven.

Bozeman, UNDs closest away game in the BSC is a 1700 mile round trip. Playing conference games closer to home is likely to raise more booster revenue and help recruiting. Heck the travel savings alone are probably enough to pay the cost of FCOAs...

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:18 pm

onceacat wrote:
USD & SDSU are offering FCOA too. Id expect more MVFC schools to follow suit. Natural resource money always helps, but Fargo & Grand Forks both have pretty diversified economies-Health Care, Banking, and Education...Both cities had healthy, steady growth before and after the oil boom.

UND is just a much better fit for the MVFC than the BSC. The match never made sense for a variety of reasons, most obvious being geography. Get a couple of great seasons in the revenue sports, upgrade your facilities with local, and deal with any of the politics, and you've got a match made in heaven.

Bozeman, UNDs closest away game in the BSC is a 1700 mile round trip. Playing conference games closer to home is likely to raise more booster revenue and help recruiting. Heck the travel savings alone are probably enough to pay the cost of FCOAs...
All that money and they have to cut sports because of a $1.4 million deficit in athletics.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:49 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
onceacat wrote:

All that money and they have to cut sports because of a $1.4 million deficit in athletics.
That's probably about the cost of travel for the football team going to BSC away games :lol:

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:55 pm

Yet there was a 3.8 magnitude quake in OK just last Thursday.

What caused it?
onceacat wrote:
Siouxfan wrote:
PapaG wrote:

Take your facts and get out of here! =;

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Siouxfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Siouxfan » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:47 pm

When UND was locked out of the new Big Ten hockey conference, UND'S goal was to get some new FBS teams out west to start it, like Ariz St, Colorado, Utah, UNLV etc. Our then hockey coach, who is now the Flyers coach, stressed how important the west was. With Ariz St having started hockey, that was realized but yet UND recently didn't support them to get into the NCHC because UND knows it will be going Big Ten. We'll totally be Midwest focused for a reason, just like we were totally western for a reason when the Big Ten and Minnesota didn't want us. So now the Big Sky will be expendable even though we should win all four sports there that people watch. UNLV is actively raising money for DI hockey and Colorado and Utah have actively talked about it, so mission was almost accomplished.

While our athletic department wants to win, it's decisions are always based on what is best for hockey, which has much more money involved than the rest of our aports.

Would rather UND stick west, but I can't stop it. The Big Sky needs to stop requiring arcane sports like MW tennis that don't bring in revenue and which its schools will never be a power. We had to start M tennis to meet that requirement. The Big Sky should offer M/W lacrosse instead, as that sport is rapidly growing though out the USA. Set a trend rather than be stuck in the mud.
Last edited by Siouxfan on Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.