Gregorak is a Potential Candidate for EWU HC

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Gregorak is a Potential Candidate for EWU HC

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:38 pm

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Gregorak is a Potential Candidate for EWU HC

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:43 pm

I'll be surprised if he isn't the guy to be honest. I thought of him right after the announcement.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:49 pm

Eastern has built a culture of high flying prolific offense. That's the identity of their program, and everyone in the nation knows it. Because of that, I don't think gregorak (a defensive minded guy) fits into that identity. I would guess one of the in house guys or possibly junior Adams is the hire.

Or maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:55 pm

wbtfg wrote:Eastern has built a culture of high flying prolific offense. That's the identity of their program, and everyone in the nation knows it. Because of that, I don't think gregorak (a defensive minded guy) fits into that identity. I would guess one of the in house guys or possibly junior Adams is the hire.

Or maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.

I think that is exactly why he has a legit shot. That high flying offense with an actual defense will win championships. Their high flying offense can't get it done on its own. He may be just what the doctor ordered.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:12 pm

:?

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:25 pm

We all knew that at some point this was going to happen, probably just not this soon. I hope he stays in Bozeman, I hope we can build something amazing here over the next few years. After that, then I will expect to see a lot of this staff move on to bigger jobs. I really thought Ty was a great fit at MSU.

Punters are people too!!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:15 am

GoCats18 wrote:I really thought Ty was a great fit at MSU.
He's a rumored candidate. So don't have to speak in past tense quite yet.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Pecos24
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Pecos24 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:19 am

Grizaddict wrote: I think that is exactly why he has a legit shot. That high flying offense with an actual defense will win championships. Their high flying offense can't get it done on its own. He may be just what the doctor ordered.
Except for the fact that almost their entire offensive coaching staff is gone...

Bill Zander
CS '93
AKA - "F'n sorry ass"

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:23 am

I really think they're gonna stay in house.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:24 am

bobcat99 wrote:I really think they're gonna stay in house.
If anything, mainly for recruiting carryover.

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:45 am

Since they've lost most of their offensive staff, any defensive experienced coach is starting with an uphill climb IMHO. Their needs are offensive not only because that is where their coaching 'holes' are and their history, but my guess would be that unless they get a known offensive commodity for a coach (and quick) that keeping some of their offensive players and especially incoming recruits would be at risk. Signing day is in 12 days.

There is no doubt in my mind that at some point TG will move on to something bigger & better than MSU's DC, but I'm guessing it won't be in the next few weeks to EWU. Not because he wouldn't do a GREAT job, just because their needs and his experience doesn't match up. If he does get the HC job at EWU, good for him. If he doesn't, GREAT FOR US. GO CATS!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:06 am

I hope we can keep Gregorak here for at least a couple years. He and coach choate make a great combo, can't wait to see the defense progress these next 2 years. I'm expecting/predicting this teams defense will be reminiscent of the early 2000's teams, when they were consistanly ranked as a top 10 Defense in the country. It was fun to watch.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:29 am

My first thought was Ash. He is an offensive guy. Knows how to win. Thoughts?

Hating the griz since 02.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:32 am

I think they stay in house.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:37 am

https://twitter.com/pgabriel15/status/822482806349643776

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:08 pm

EWU has had a great ride, but they seem like a total train wreck right now. All of the offensive staff has left. Defense has always been weak. Rumor is that Gubrub might follow Baldwin to Cal. Then you have the lack of quality infrastructure and lack of fan support. When you win at a high level for years (including a national championship) but can still only draw around 10,000, does that sound attractive? Why leave a good gig at MSU to potentially step into a house of cards at EWU?

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:34 pm

Of the potential candidates listed, Junior Adams gets my vote!

... wait, does my vote count??

marceag
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by marceag » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:24 pm

Cataholic wrote:EWU has had a great ride, but they seem like a total train wreck right now. All of the offensive staff has left. Defense has always been weak. Rumor is that Gubrub might follow Baldwin to Cal. Then you have the lack of quality infrastructure and lack of fan support. When you win at a high level for years (including a national championship) but can still only draw around 10,000, does that sound attractive? Why leave a good gig at MSU to potentially step into a house of cards at EWU?
Eh...I wouldn't call it a train wreck...

Eastern is still loaded with returning talent on offense, they lose their 3 stud receivers on Offense but thats it (Gubrud would be crazy to leave and give up an entire season, so thats not likely), everyone else returns and Eastern has never had an issue replacing the WR position. In case you didn't notice, Eastern's defense improved drastically this year in the 2nd half of the season and nearly everyone returns next year...On top of that, Eastern has the #1 Big Sky class coming in this year and they are neck and neck with NDSU for the best FCS class...so its not like the new coach is coming into a complete rebuild...

As far as the coaches, Eastern will most likely keep it in the family unless a big time outsider comes through. I would guess Gregorak isn't in the running although I think he would do really well. Don't be surprised when Eastern has a really good season next year...

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:12 pm

marceag wrote:
Cataholic wrote:EWU has had a great ride, but they seem like a total train wreck right now. All of the offensive staff has left. Defense has always been weak. Rumor is that Gubrub might follow Baldwin to Cal. Then you have the lack of quality infrastructure and lack of fan support. When you win at a high level for years (including a national championship) but can still only draw around 10,000, does that sound attractive? Why leave a good gig at MSU to potentially step into a house of cards at EWU?

Eastern is still loaded with returning talent on offense, they lose their 3 stud receivers on Offense but thats it (Gubrud would be crazy to leave and give up an entire season, so thats not likely), everyone else returns and Eastern has never had an issue replacing the WR position. In case you didn't notice, Eastern's defense improved drastically this year in the 2nd half of the season and nearly everyone returns next year...On top of that, Eastern has the #1 Big Sky class coming in this year and they are neck and neck with NDSU for the best FCS class...so its not like the new coach is coming into a complete rebuild...

As far as the coaches, Eastern will most likely keep it in the family unless a big time outsider comes through. I would guess Gregorak isn't in the running although I think he would do really well. Don't be surprised when Eastern has a really good season next year...
I don't think anyone is doubting the talent on your team, you guys land talented kids every year. I think Cataholic is more coming from the point of losing the offensive staff. Coaches provide so many intangible things to a football program that with a the losses on that side, you're going to take a step back until all the kids buy in and have good chemistry with the new staff. But Hey, that could happen over the summer, I just don't think its likely. Good luck to you guys in your coaching search, but please leave TG alone! thanks!

marceag
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by marceag » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:21 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
marceag wrote:

I don't think anyone is doubting the talent on your team, you guys land talented kids every year. I think Cataholic is more coming from the point of losing the offensive staff. Coaches provide so many intangible things to a football program that with a the losses on that side, you're going to take a step back until all the kids buy in and have good chemistry with the new staff. But Hey, that could happen over the summer, I just don't think its likely. Good luck to you guys in your coaching search, but please leave TG alone! thanks!
TG was a great hire for MSU and I'd love to see him at EWU, I just don't think Eastern looks that way. I think EWU keeps it in the family unless a major prospect comes along. I think TG sticks with you guys at least a couple more years, its just a matter of time before he gets a head coach shot, deservedly so...