Gregorak is a Potential Candidate for EWU HC

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Re: Gregorak is a Potential Candidate for EWU HC

Post by Bozcat003 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:38 pm

marceag wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
marceag wrote:
Cataholic wrote:EWU has had a great ride, but they seem like a total train wreck right now. All of the offensive staff has left. Defense has always been weak. Rumor is that Gubrub might follow Baldwin to Cal. Then you have the lack of quality infrastructure and lack of fan support. When you win at a high level for years (including a national championship) but can still only draw around 10,000, does that sound attractive? Why leave a good gig at MSU to potentially step into a house of cards at EWU?
Eh...I wouldn't call it a train wreck...

Eastern is still loaded with returning talent on offense, they lose their 3 stud receivers on Offense but thats it (Gubrud would be crazy to leave and give up an entire season, so thats not likely), everyone else returns and Eastern has never had an issue replacing the WR position. In case you didn't notice, Eastern's defense improved drastically this year in the 2nd half of the season and nearly everyone returns next year...On top of that, Eastern has the #1 Big Sky class coming in this year and they are neck and neck with NDSU for the best FCS class...so its not like the new coach is coming into a complete rebuild...

As far as the coaches, Eastern will most likely keep it in the family unless a big time outsider comes through. I would guess Gregorak isn't in the running although I think he would do really well. Don't be surprised when Eastern has a really good season next year...
I don't think anyone is doubting the talent on your team, you guys land talented kids every year. I think Cataholic is more coming from the point of losing the offensive staff. Coaches provide so many intangible things to a football program that with a the losses on that side, you're going to take a step back until all the kids buy in and have good chemistry with the new staff. But Hey, that could happen over the summer, I just don't think its likely. Good luck to you guys in your coaching search, but please leave TG alone! thanks!
TG was a great hire for MSU and I'd love to see him at EWU, I just don't think Eastern looks that way. I think EWU keeps it in the family unless a major prospect comes along. I think TG sticks with you guys at least a couple more years, its just a matter of time before he gets a head coach shot, deservedly so...
Agreed. . . EWU should stay in house . . .if its not broken don't fix it

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:44 pm

marceag wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
marceag wrote:
Cataholic wrote:EWU has had a great ride, but they seem like a total train wreck right now. All of the offensive staff has left. Defense has always been weak. Rumor is that Gubrub might follow Baldwin to Cal. Then you have the lack of quality infrastructure and lack of fan support. When you win at a high level for years (including a national championship) but can still only draw around 10,000, does that sound attractive? Why leave a good gig at MSU to potentially step into a house of cards at EWU?

Eastern is still loaded with returning talent on offense, they lose their 3 stud receivers on Offense but thats it (Gubrud would be crazy to leave and give up an entire season, so thats not likely), everyone else returns and Eastern has never had an issue replacing the WR position. In case you didn't notice, Eastern's defense improved drastically this year in the 2nd half of the season and nearly everyone returns next year...On top of that, Eastern has the #1 Big Sky class coming in this year and they are neck and neck with NDSU for the best FCS class...so its not like the new coach is coming into a complete rebuild...

As far as the coaches, Eastern will most likely keep it in the family unless a big time outsider comes through. I would guess Gregorak isn't in the running although I think he would do really well. Don't be surprised when Eastern has a really good season next year...
I don't think anyone is doubting the talent on your team, you guys land talented kids every year. I think Cataholic is more coming from the point of losing the offensive staff. Coaches provide so many intangible things to a football program that with a the losses on that side, you're going to take a step back until all the kids buy in and have good chemistry with the new staff. But Hey, that could happen over the summer, I just don't think its likely. Good luck to you guys in your coaching search, but please leave TG alone! thanks!
TG was a great hire for MSU and I'd love to see him at EWU, I just don't think Eastern looks that way. I think EWU keeps it in the family unless a major prospect comes along. I think TG sticks with you guys at least a couple more years, its just a matter of time before he gets a head coach shot, deservedly so...
You make some great points. I also think you are a little too close to be objective. Baldwin should have been offered a head position at an FBS school in previous years. His run has truly been remarkable. Maybe train wreck was too strong a word. I was probably more thinking that the rash of success is unsustainable. You have a great class coming but it is not yet signing day. Stack on the funding issues and infrastructure concerns and area competition for fans and EWU is a very challenging job. If I was TG, I would wait for something more attractive.

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:03 pm

As I said earlier, I don't think the timing and conditions for TG & EWU 'fit' right now. We will see.

If I had to guess, when TG moves on from MSU, it won't be to a HC position, but rather a DC position at the FBS level........say after our National Championship in 3 years. SO LET IT BE WRITTEN, SO LET IT BE DONE!

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:57 pm

Cataholic wrote:
marceag wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
marceag wrote:

You make some great points. I also think you are a little too close to be objective. Baldwin should have been offered a head position at an FBS school in previous years. His run has truly been remarkable. Maybe train wreck was too strong a word. I was probably more thinking that the rash of success is unsustainable. You have a great class coming but it is not yet signing day. Stack on the funding issues and infrastructure concerns and area competition for fans and EWU is a very challenging job. If I was TG, I would wait for something more attractive.
Marceag is right. EWUs D was way underrated this year. On average, they held their opponents to something like 8 points below average, including a shutout of a really good Richmond offense. They aren't going to scare anyone, but they are solid. And even if Gubrud transfers, EWU would still have two of the top 5 QBs in the conference in Riley Hennessey and Jordan West. And that's just what we know about.

I'm hoping that TG stays for another 2 years. At that point, his stock goes way up because of the transformation he's worked on the Cats.

And having lived in Spokane for 4 years, I can't imagine a coach ever willingly taking a job there.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:22 pm

Bozcat003 wrote: Agreed. . . EWU should stay in house . . .if its not broken don't fix it
Problem is, everyone but one orphan on the offensive side has left the house!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:54 pm

EWU will continue to be a solid program. They've gone through about 3-4 coaches and have continued to be good. Washington is is a good football state. Kramer, Wulff, Baldwin.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:27 pm

onceacat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
marceag wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
marceag wrote:

Marceag is right. EWUs D was way underrated this year. On average, they held their opponents to something like 8 points below average, including a shutout of a really good Richmond offense. They aren't going to scare anyone, but they are solid. And even if Gubrud transfers, EWU would still have two of the top 5 QBs in the conference in Riley Hennessey and Jordan West. And that's just what we know about.

I'm hoping that TG stays for another 2 years. At that point, his stock goes way up because of the transformation he's worked on the Cats.

And having lived in Spokane for 4 years, I can't imagine a coach ever willingly taking a job there.
I agree onceacat... Spokane is an equivalent of Pocatello, in my opinion. But I will be there once a year for the CAT/griz game...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:20 pm

RickRund wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
marceag wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
marceag wrote:

I agree onceacat... Spokane is an equivalent of Pocatello, in my opinion. But I will be there once a year for the CAT/griz game...
The first time I went to an EWU game there was blood splashed on the walls of the HoJo where we stayed. Since then, we stay in Coeur d'Alene. But I sent my daughter to a basketball camp at EWOO, and they kicked out all the girls in Griz shirts, so at least there's that!

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:15 am

It has been a LONG time since EWU hired someone without ties to the program. I honestly can't think of one in my lifetime. The program actually prides themselves on that. Although very qualified, I would be shocked if it was TG.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:47 am

RobertCats wrote:It has been a LONG time since EWU hired someone without ties to the program. I honestly can't think of one in my lifetime. The program actually prides themselves on that. Although very qualified, I would be shocked if it was TG.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
And that's a formula that has worked quite well for them so I don't know why they would change it now.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:38 pm

https://twitter.com/EWUeaglesAD/status/822963327412244481

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:51 pm

That's who I would have predicted.....

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:18 pm

Eastern Washington names OL coach Aaron Best as new head football coach
http://skylinesportsmt.com/best-new-ewu-head-coach/

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:41 pm

Minor problem in their press release:
Eastern Washington has claimed five of the last seven national titles, including one to kick off the decade that culminated in EWU’s first national championship.
Do they mean Big Sky Conference titles? Because I know they haven't won 5 of the last 7 national titles unless they're secretly NDSU in disguise.