2017 Running Back Situation

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

msucatzfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

2017 Running Back Situation

Post by msucatzfan » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:39 pm

It appears we will be very deep and talented at the running back position in 2017. How does everyone see the depth/carries playing out?

The current listed running backs are:

- Lasane (sr)
- Jeffries (sr)
-James (jr)
- Jones (jr)
- Pegues (so)
- Vander (so)
- Van Horsen (rfr)
- Roper (fr)

From I have heard, Vander is an elite talent and may be one of the better rb's in the big sky next year. I believe he will ultimately become the number one back next season and will lead the team in carries.

LaSane is a talented senior who has paid his dues and I think he will solidify himself as the number two (and may start the year as the number one). He should also get a lot of short yardage and goal line work.

Logan Jones will probably keep his same role as a rb/wr/special teams player. I think is vastly underused and should have a bigger role on the team. Very talented player.
Last edited by msucatzfan on Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2017 Running Back Situation

Post by MSU01 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:59 pm

msucatzfan wrote:
I would love to see Roper redshirted. I also hate that we burned Pegues' redshirt to give him a few carries. He is very talented, but I do not see how he will get many carries next year (just like last year).
I believe Roper used his redshirt at Boise last year, so he'll come in with 4 years to play 4. LaSane and Vander appear on paper to be a formidable duo - it will be interesting to see how the coaching staff is able to utilize the diverse skill sets MSU has at the position.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:45 pm

msucatzfan wrote:It appears we will be very deep and talented at the running back position in 2017. How does everyone see the depth/carries playing out?

- Lasane (sr)
-James (jr)
- Jones (jr)
- Pegues (so)
- Vander (so?)
- Opland (rfr) (is he still a running back or have they moved him yet?)
- Van Horsen (rfr)
- Roper (fr?)

From I have heard, Vander is an elite talent and may be one of the better rb's in the big sky next year. I believe he will ultimately become the number one back next season and will lead the team in carries.

LaSane is a talented senior who has paid his dues and I think he will solidify himself as the number two (and may start the year as the number one). He should also get a lot of short yardage and goal line work.

Logan Jones will probably keep his same role as a rb/wr/special teams player. I think is vastly underused and should have a bigger role on the team. Very talented player.

I would love to see Roper redshirted. I also hate that we burned Pegues' redshirt to give him a few carries. He is very talented, but I do not see how he will get many carries next year (just like last year).

It wouldnt surprise me to see Opland and James moved to defense. They should also both have solid roles on special teams.
I think Opland and LaSane will most likely be our fullbacks, but as far as whose going to be on top of the pile at RB next year is anyone's guess. I think we'll have a clearer picture after spring ball.

msucatzfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by msucatzfan » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:54 pm

MSU01 wrote:
msucatzfan wrote:
I believe Roper used his redshirt at Boise last year, so he'll come in with 4 years to play 4. LaSane and Vander appear on paper to be a formidable duo - it will be interesting to see how the coaching staff is able to utilize the diverse skill sets MSU has at the position.

Your right, Roper will play next year. Wow there is a lot of depth there. When you factor in Murray's 10+ carries per game there are a lot of mouths to feed.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:03 pm

msucatzfan wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
msucatzfan wrote:

Your right, Roper will play next year. Wow there is a lot of depth there. When you factor in Murray's 10+ carries per game there are a lot of mouths to feed.
True, however none of them have been a D1 featured back, so there's a good bit of uncertainty as well. Who is the guy we can trust to pick up 4th and 1? Who can we trust to make the right read on blitz pickup? Who is going to break an arm tackle and take it to the house? I hope multiple guys, but at this point we don't know the answer to any of those questions, so good to have options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:55 pm

msucatzfan wrote:It appears we will be very deep and talented at the running back position in 2017. How does everyone see the depth/carries playing out?

- Lasane (sr)
-James (jr)
- Jones (jr)
- Pegues (so)
- Vander (so?)
- Van Horsen (rfr)
- Roper (fr?)

It wouldnt surprise me to see Opland and James moved to defense. They should also both have solid roles on special teams.

I don't know about Vander being an "elite" talent. I certainly hope Vander turns out to be awesome, but time will tell and I'll withhold judgement until after he plays. I like LaSane and Pegues. LaSane has certainly paid his dues and has shown instances of amazing running ability. I really wish the Cats had given Pegues more of an opportunity than they did last year. Pegues has to be one of the fastest players on the field. Pegues is short but strong as heck. I doubt Roper gets many reps other than on special teams.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:07 pm

We are looking talented and deep at RB. We have been in a reloading mode at RB for many years now and I don't thing 2017 will be any different.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:54 pm

AFCAT wrote:

- Lasane (sr)
-James (jr)
- Jones (jr)
- Pegues (so)
- Vander (so?)
- Van Horsen (rfr)
- Roper (fr?)

I don't know about Vander being an "elite" talent. I certainly hope Vander turns out to be awesome, but time will tell and I'll withhold judgement until after he plays. I like LaSane and Pegues. LaSane has certainly paid his dues and has shown instances of amazing running ability. I really wish the Cats had given Pegues more of an opportunity than they did last year. Pegues has to be one of the fastest players on the field. Pegues is short but strong as heck. I doubt Roper gets many reps other than on special teams.
After looking at Roper's film I can see him moving right into Brekke's role last year. He looks to have another gear and looks very tough and elusive. However, Pegues and Jones will have another year under their belt too and could really take it to the next level. It is a good problem to have. :)

Bemiller49
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bemiller49 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:05 pm

Roper looks like he is a gamer, but he also looks like just a smaller version of Opland. Opland just out weighs him by 20+ lbs

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:46 pm

If we continue to feature the diamond formation, we'd see 3 RB's on most 1st & 2nd downs, which means it could be common for a 5 to 6 RB rotation per game.

If LaSane has just one run per game like the one he had drilling the griz, I'd be very happy - that's worth the ticket price right there.

Spring ball will reveal the picture IMO.

One prediction: Pegues will break one to the house early in the season, and there will be ooohs and aaaahs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:32 pm

I would rather have 6 backs that can play every down and force the defense to respect all of them whenever they move in opposite directions rather than 1 they key on.
Keep em fresh and run downhill.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:44 pm

I'm hoping that these guys can not only run but also block. As LaSane's long run against the griz showed most long runs start with good blocking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:32 am

I predict it will go Lasane and Vander with a 1a and 1b (in either order) and Pegues rotating in as the 3rd down back and change-of-pace back. I have said it before that Pegues is a big time talent and he reminds me so much of Maurice Jones-Drew in terms of size, speed, pad level and balance. Obviously, a poor man's MJD, don't want to set-up unrealistic expectations, but you will see what I'm talking about when he gets some decent PT.

Bemiller49
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bemiller49 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:38 pm

With as much as Choate says he wants to run the ball, I wouldn't be surprised to see 6 backs get a couple carries each game. There will be the top couple that get 15 or so, but then the others will provide breaks and get a couple. Especially if we have 4th qtr leads.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:25 pm

Opportunity for Stenseth or James to step up in the off season!
Need another bruiser in depth.
I know very little about Van Horssen.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:43 am

kwcat wrote:Opportunity for Stenseth or James to step up in the off season!
Need another bruiser in depth.
I know very little about Van Horssen.
Logan Jones type.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:56 am

Van Horssen is very fast and very strong. Logan Jones-type is a good description. Just a matter of how well he develops (and recovers from leg injury his senior year) post-HS.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:55 am

https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/819571913752244224

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:29 pm

Obviously the job is open, but you gotta go with LaSane, Vander and Jones right now if we're still running the same offense as at the end of last year. I would think LaSane is a lock. Some other back could jump in there or Murray could really take off passing the ball and there could be wholesale changes to the offensive formations.

AKCATFAN
New Recruit

Post by AKCATFAN » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:05 pm

Movement in RB position...Opland is now a LB, Jefferies is FB, and Dodd is again a HB, I'm glad to see this move...Seems we are deep at RB IMO why hasn't Lasane been moved to LB...