2017 Running Back Situation

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2017 Running Back Situation

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:07 pm

AKCATFAN wrote:Movement in RB position...Opland is now a LB, Jefferies is FB, and Dodd is again a HB, I'm glad to see this move...Seems we are deep at RB IMO why hasn't Lasane been moved to LB...
Because he is our best running back. Wouldn't you agree?

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:59 pm

yeah, not sure why you would move Lasane?

anyway, interesting about Jeffries and Dodd if true. Jeffries is definitely surprising, didn't see that one coming. I like Dodd going back to RB, he was getting pretty buried on the depth chart at CB.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:03 pm

mslacatfan wrote:yeah, not sure why you would move Lasane?

anyway, interesting about Jeffries and Dodd if true. Jeffries is definitely surprising, didn't see that one coming. I like Dodd going back to RB, he was getting pretty buried on the depth chart at CB.
Dodd was an ace special teams player last year but he won't make enough impact at corner as he could at running back. I had pretty high hopes when they moved him to CB but we are now deep at that position, especially with the commits we have coming in.

Devin has one more year to play and he is a great athlete. Throw him at fullback and let him block!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:04 pm

mslacatfan wrote:yeah, not sure why you would move Lasane?

Could this be related to his past injuries? With his knee injuries and what that does to weight room time, I wonder if he doesn't have the bulk the he would've needed at DE, but is still a really good frame for a FB? Just speculating....

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:34 pm

AKCATFAN wrote:Movement in RB position...Opland is now a LB, Jefferies is FB, and Dodd is again a HB, I'm glad to see this move...Seems we are deep at RB IMO why hasn't Lasane been moved to LB...
Probably because he's currently the best RB on our roster.

Seems like if you get moved to FB, it's signifying the end of your time here. Ojo, Bray...

msucatzfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by msucatzfan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:03 am

Edited the first page to add Jeffries and Dodd, and to remove Opland.

I remember when Dodd came here as a very solid looking recruit. It will be fun to follow the spring battle between him and Pegues as they seem to have a very similar frame and skill set.

I also like moving Opland to defense. I think he will be a really good one for us...

kwcat
Member # Retired

Re: 2017 Running Back SituationS

Post by kwcat » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:00 am

Certainly looks to be a good bunch of talent.

I still have a lot of concern about who will/does have the durability/toughness/work habit of a Chad Newell.

Who decides to persevere in the face of adversity in this group? I have a lot of good memories of watching Newell in special teams. His energy was on full display there

and carried on to running the ball. He outplayed his physical ability in my opinion. I believe we have backs with more ability but have yet to see the other side of the

equation to be displayed. Logan Jones may be the exception on the energy side.

I do like what film I have seen on Roper. Seems to play with heart.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:04 am

kwcat wrote:Certainly looks to be a good bunch of talent.

I still have a lot of concern about who will/does have the durability/toughness/work habit of a Chad Newell.

Who decides to persevere in the face of adversity in this group? I have a lot of good memories of watching Newell in special teams. His energy was on full display there

and carried on to running the ball.
He outplayed his physical ability in my opinion. I believe we have backs with more ability but have yet to see the other side of the

Noah James has shown some "Newell-like" energy on special teams. Similar player as well.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:23 am

VimSince03 wrote:

He outplayed his physical ability in my opinion. I believe we have backs with more ability but have yet to see the other side of the

Noah James has shown some "Newell-like" energy on special teams. Similar player as well.

I have seen some flashes from Noah as well. He also is pretty similar in size.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:35 am

kwcat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

Noah's senior year highlights:

Noah has added a solid 20 lbs. since high school. Chad and Noah aren't exactly quick runners but they are smart runners. They understand blocking schemes using them to their advantage more times than not. They also have a good bounce to the outside that a lot of people don't expect. Chad showed multiple times throughout his career that he could bust a run to the outside with a nice stiffarm for extra yards. It also helps that Chad and Noah aren't afraid to run over people...
Last edited by VimSince03 on Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:47 am

VimSince03 wrote:
kwcat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

Noah has added a solid 20 lbs. since high school. Chad and Noah aren't exactly quick runners but they are smart runners. They understand blocking schemes using them to their advantage more times than not. They also have a good bounce to the outside that a lot of people don't expect. Chad showed multiple times throughout his career that he could bust a run to the outside with a nice stiffarm for extra yards. It also helps that Chad and Noah aren't afraid to run over people...

That is the attitude some of our more skilled runners need to adapt.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:50 am

kwcat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
kwcat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

Whoops. Posted the wrong link to Noah's highlights. Was having a PM with a poster about Dawsen Berg from Skyview committing to Tech.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:52 am

kwcat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
kwcat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

As a side note, this fall I watched one of the Bz 8th grade teams play a Butte team.(not the one I was hoping for with the Cetraro kid)
A Bz kid who the coach had at multiple positions caught a pass as a tight end and broke into the open field for an apparent td. However, to my delight, he turned back so he could run another kid over. It was hilarious! I asked a parent of a team member what 'that was about'. He said "that kid just loves running over people"

msucatzfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by msucatzfan » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:52 pm

Edited to remove Dodd.