Depth Chart Going Into Spring Ball

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Depth Chart Going Into Spring Ball

Post by Grizaddict » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:54 am

iaafan wrote:Yes, it would be nice to have him here for spring ball, but that may not have ever been the plan.
Because not having him show up for spring ball, as a JUCO transfer, makes way more sense? Of course they wanted him there. Something obviously went wrong. You kind of put AKCat on blast too accusing him of misinformation and hinting at him even being a Griz fan here to stir the pot, yet his info looks spot on. Apology maybe?

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:12 am

Grizaddict wrote:
iaafan wrote:Yes, it would be nice to have him here for spring ball, but that may not have ever been the plan.
Because not having him show up for spring ball, as a JUCO transfer, makes way more sense? Of course they wanted him there. Something obviously went wrong. You kind of put AKCat on blast too accusing him of misinformation and hinting at him even being a Griz fan here to stir the pot, yet his info looks spot on. Apology maybe?
God you are one weird guy/lady. He sure wouldn't be the first JUCO to come in after the spring semester, that happens a lot, so I don't even know what your getting at there?

If your left, you aren’t right.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:32 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
God you are one weird guy/lady. He sure wouldn't be the first JUCO to come in after the spring semester, that happens a lot, so I don't even know what your getting at there?
Do you honestly think they planned all along to bring Vander in after spring? Even after Colter reported that he was on campus and would be starting classes? It is 100000% obvious something went wrong if you take off the blue and golds for a second. I'm sure they will get it figured out. I just thought it was a little dramatic how iaa fan accused the poster of stirring the pot when that poster was the only one who knew exactly what went down.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:59 am

Grizaddict wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
Do you honestly think they planned all along to bring Vander in after spring? Even after Colter reported that he was on campus and would be starting classes? It is 100000% obvious something went wrong if you take off the blue and golds for a second. I'm sure they will get it figured out. I just thought it was a little dramatic how iaa fan accused the poster of stirring the pot when that poster was the only one who knew exactly what went down.
All iaa said was that he's taking the info with a grain of salt. Stop being so dramatic about it. Why is it that you're so quick to put down posters on this board? Maybe you can take off the maroon goggles and give people the benefit of the doubt.

Bemiller49
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bemiller49 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:10 pm

And getting this back on track....Vim, I am surprised you haven't added your thoughts on what the spring depth chart will be. You usually have good insight on this. Thoughts?

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:29 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
I wouldn't say he knew "Exactly what went down" as I think he suggested that Vander was now off our radar, which apparently is not true.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:34 pm

Bemiller49 wrote:And getting this back on track....Vim, I am surprised you haven't added your thoughts on what the spring depth chart will be. You usually have good insight on this. Thoughts?
My best guess at the starting lineup:

QB: Chris Murray
HB: Nick LaSane/Anthony Pegues/Logan Jones
FB: Noah James
WR (X): Mitch Herbert
WR (H): John D'Agistino
WR (Z): Kevin Kassis/Justin Paige
TE: Connor Sullivan
LT: Dylan Mahoney
LG: Jake McFetridge/Taylor Tuiasosopo
C: Alex Neale
RG: Monte Folsom
RT: Mitch Brott

DE: Tyrone Fa'anono
DT: Zach Wright
NT: Tucker Yates
Buck: Grant Collins
Sam: Mac Bignell
Mike: Lukas McCarthy/Walker Cozzie/Sean Opland/Austin Barrette (wide open competition)
Will: Josh Hill
Field Corner: Bryce Alley/Damien Washington
Boundary Corner: Naijiel Hale/Tavon Dodd
FS: Bryson McCabe
SS: Brayden Konkol/Khari Garcia

K: Gabe Peppenger
P: Jered Padmos
LS: Rocky Hogue

I'm not going to develop a two-deep until after signing day. Redshirt freshman who are going to get a significant look to make the two-deep:

Balue Chapman at Sam Linebacker
Michael Jobman at Buck End
Kyle Finch at Buck End
Lewis Kidd on the Defensive Line
Sean Opland at Middle Linebacker
Austin Barrette at Middle Linebacker
Taylor Tuiasosopo at Left Guard
Jacob Hadley at Safety

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Bemiller49
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bemiller49 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:37 pm

We really didn't lose much. Looking forward to the growth of this young group in year 2.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:39 pm

Is it possible he could still be enrolled at MSU right now as Colter said, even though he possibly failed a class? Can he work his way back to eligibility while at MSU, if in fact he is not eligible right now? I honestly don't know, and does anybody know if in fact he did fail a class?

grizaddict, you may be right that something happened, but your statement "because not having him show up for spring ball, as a JUCO transfer, makes way more sense?" is flat out wrong. Schools bring in transfers from JUCOs after spring ball all the time, that was my point. I wasn't saying nothing happened in this case, I was pointing out your statement or insinuation that having a JUCO come in after spring ball doesn't make any sense, is wrong in many situations.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:47 pm

Bemiller49 wrote:We really didn't lose much. Looking forward to the growth of this young group in year 2.
Totally agree!!

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:50 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:Is it possible he could still be enrolled at MSU right now as Colter said, even though he possibly failed a class? Can he work his way back to eligibility while at MSU, if in fact he is not eligible right now? I honestly don't know, and does anybody know if in fact he did fail a class?

grizaddict, you may be right that something happened, but your statement "because not having him show up for spring ball, as a JUCO transfer, makes way more sense?" is flat out wrong. Schools bring in transfers from JUCOs after spring ball all the time, that was my point. I wasn't saying nothing happened in this case, I was pointing out your statement or insinuation that having a JUCO come in after spring ball doesn't make any sense, is wrong in many situations.
Fair enough. Thanks for your explantation. Is it football season yet!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:01 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Bemiller49 wrote:And getting this back on track....Vim, I am surprised you haven't added your thoughts on what the spring depth chart will be. You usually have good insight on this. Thoughts?

Mike: Lukas McCarthy/Walker Cozzie/Sean Opland/Austin Barrette (wide open competition)

I'm not going to develop a two-deep until after signing day. Redshirt freshman who are going to get a significant look to make the two-deep:

Kyle Finch at Buck End
Jacob Hadley at Safety
How about Chase Benson? People were pretty excited about him coming out of Highschool, any update on his progression? I know he is still young, but maybe he could push for some playing time?

FTG- GO CATS GO!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:04 pm

Bemiller49 wrote:We really didn't lose much. Looking forward to the growth of this young group in year 2.
Not only do most starters return. But I count about 17 of those guys that will only be Juniors or Sophomores, and coming back in 2018 as well........ :shock:

FTG- GO CATS GO!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:18 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

Kyle Finch at Buck End
Jacob Hadley at Safety
How about Chase Benson? People were pretty excited about him coming out of Highschool, any update on his progression? I know he is still young, but maybe he could push for some playing time?
Excited because of his ceiling but he was very raw coming out of high school. Physically, he is developing very well but his technique needed a ton of work and that is what will likely put him behind a few guys. And who knows, he could push at DT. I just don't think he will be on the 2-deep quite yet. But when he gets the technical side of playing defensive line down...watch out.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:10 pm

VimSince03 wrote:

Kyle Finch at Buck End
Jacob Hadley at Safety
Which Receiver position do you think Daum will end up at? Z or maybe X?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:13 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

Kyle Finch at Buck End
Jacob Hadley at Safety
Which Receiver position do you think Daum will end up at? Z or maybe X?
Z. Kassis, Stephens, and Daum all have a similar skillset. Will be a good rotation next year. Really Daum could compete at all three of the positions but that is where I see him.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:53 pm

If Daum keeps working hard at honing his craft, he's going to be a great WR. He has all the natural tools. Speed, agility, hands. He was fairly polished out of high school, but you have to keep working at this level or others pass you by.

AKCATFAN
New Recruit

Post by AKCATFAN » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:49 pm

Misinformed regarding Vander... he's not in Montana... further if he's struggling at Juco is he really going to be able to do the class work at a university level... I don't mind your skepticism but I'm insulted being called a Grizz
Fan... I only joined this group after years of speculation without much fact... Fact check this Gates was ineligible and is now off the team...

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:03 am

AKCATFAN wrote:Misinformed regarding Vander... he's not in Montana... further if he's struggling at Juco is he really going to be able to do the class work at a university level... I don't mind your skepticism but I'm insulted being called a Grizz
Fan... I only joined this group after years of speculation without much fact... Fact check this Gates was ineligible and is now off the team...
A person can't be suprised that he signs up and his very first post is bad news and then guys are skeptical of his intentions. Especially if you've lurked for years, you should know there's been a number of fake fans trying to stir the pot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:15 am

MSU has had quite a few players come in from JUCOs that were supposedly struggling with grades and then graduated. MSU has a great support staff for its athletes in terms of assisting them with study habits and other academic variables. As fans we treat all our players and coaches equally unless given a good reason not to. If the coaches want to bring in a JUCO transfer, then we're on board with it unless we're given a good reason not to be. Just because we hear that someone isn't getting good grades doesn't mean that we don't want that player on our team. The players have diverse backgrounds, diverse areas of study, diverse abilities...they're not all the same and like ourselves we don't expect them to be perfect.

We've also had players come to MSU with legal records, but become model students and teammates. We know going into as fans that the players aren't always going to be perfect and some will give the school a black eye from time to time. We don't like it, but we accept it, trust that those in charge will try to prevent it from happening again and then move on.