Depth Chart Going Into Spring Ball

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: Depth Chart Going Into Spring Ball

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:09 am

onceacat wrote:
FTG247365 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Cat_gld wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
Cat_gld wrote:
CelticCat wrote:I had forgotten about Daum. I think only Herbert's position is locked up, although he didn't exactly play to his previous level, he had a few drops this year.

Of course it's all moot if we can't find a QB who is going to throw the ball with any sort of accuracy or timing.
Give it a chance! Don't become a chronic whiner.
Not sure how I was whining - we didn't have a QB who could throw the ball accurately this year and the timing seemed to be off all year. I'm not saying it can't be improved in the offseason, I'm saying we need it to be improved in the offseason if we are going to be a team who competes for a conference title.
Little or no progress by the end of spring ball would concern me too. Considering that they were bringing this kid along on the fly, i.e., 2 or less good practices per week, they accomplished a lot by season's end. The coaches seem confident that the passing game will improve. Murray is a smart and talented kid and seemingly coachable. I'm inclined to believe they'll get it done.
Herbert was, shall we say, not very good this year. To put it nicely. Gates & Page are both really good rotational pieces, but I'm not sure they are every down WRs. Johnny D looked decent before his injury, and Kassis looks like he could develop very nicely. And the freshmen have a ton of talent-Stephens/Sutton/Daum. But I think as of today, we shouldn't be sold on anyone. (Note-Herbert looked really good for 2 seasons, if he can return to that form, he's a starter for sure)

Tom Brady would have suffered from our receiver play this year. Weakest position on the team by a long shot (and that includes QB)
Wow, so your blaming Herbert for poor passing, I'll give you a couple dropped balls. Herbert was catching pretty damn accurate pass's from top tier FCS QB last year to...what we had at QB this year. Herbert cannot take the blame. His production dropped because we didn't pass the ball and when we did it was on target maybe 35% of the time. A good receiver needs a good QB. Do you ever see a WR with huge numbers that's has a QB and a offense that only pass's 12x's a game?
That would be totally bizarre to blame poor QB play on a WR. Herbert & the other WRs were not the reason that our QB play was awful. Just to be clear.

But, also, just to be clear, your 3rd year starting WR has a job to do, and that includes not being surprised when the ball hits him in the hands. Which Herbert did. A lot. When your QB is struggling, the receivers need to step up and make plays. You also expect your upperclassmen leaders to do things like run good routes & get open. Both of which were spotty, at best from the entire receiving corps. You also expect them to block and provide support for the run game. Herbert, in particular, should straight up own every CB (or Safety) in the running game. Our WRs couldn't block a tackling dummy this year.

Herbert has all the tools to be an all-conference receiver. I don't expect him to put up big numbers in Choate's offense. I do expect him to use his big body and soft hands to be a big-time playmaker. Even if he only gets 4 or 5 targets a game.
I'll admit I don't usually pay attention to downfield blocking by WRs, but all those longer runs our backs and Murray had this year don't happen without some decent blocking down the field.

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:14 am

onceacat wrote:
FTG247365 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Cat_gld wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
Cat_gld wrote:
CelticCat wrote:I had forgotten about Daum. I think only Herbert's position is locked up, although he didn't exactly play to his previous level, he had a few drops this year.

Of course it's all moot if we can't find a QB who is going to throw the ball with any sort of accuracy or timing.
Give it a chance! Don't become a chronic whiner.
Not sure how I was whining - we didn't have a QB who could throw the ball accurately this year and the timing seemed to be off all year. I'm not saying it can't be improved in the offseason, I'm saying we need it to be improved in the offseason if we are going to be a team who competes for a conference title.
Little or no progress by the end of spring ball would concern me too. Considering that they were bringing this kid along on the fly, i.e., 2 or less good practices per week, they accomplished a lot by season's end. The coaches seem confident that the passing game will improve. Murray is a smart and talented kid and seemingly coachable. I'm inclined to believe they'll get it done.
Herbert was, shall we say, not very good this year. To put it nicely. Gates & Page are both really good rotational pieces, but I'm not sure they are every down WRs. Johnny D looked decent before his injury, and Kassis looks like he could develop very nicely. And the freshmen have a ton of talent-Stephens/Sutton/Daum. But I think as of today, we shouldn't be sold on anyone. (Note-Herbert looked really good for 2 seasons, if he can return to that form, he's a starter for sure)

Tom Brady would have suffered from our receiver play this year. Weakest position on the team by a long shot (and that includes QB)
Wow, so your blaming Herbert for poor passing, I'll give you a couple dropped balls. Herbert was catching pretty damn accurate pass's from top tier FCS QB last year to...what we had at QB this year. Herbert cannot take the blame. His production dropped because we didn't pass the ball and when we did it was on target maybe 35% of the time. A good receiver needs a good QB. Do you ever see a WR with huge numbers that's has a QB and a offense that only pass's 12x's a game?
That would be totally bizarre to blame poor QB play on a WR. Herbert & the other WRs were not the reason that our QB play was awful. Just to be clear.

But, also, just to be clear, your 3rd year starting WR has a job to do, and that includes not being surprised when the ball hits him in the hands. Which Herbert did. A lot. When your QB is struggling, the receivers need to step up and make plays. You also expect your upperclassmen leaders to do things like run good routes & get open. Both of which were spotty, at best from the entire receiving corps. You also expect them to block and provide support for the run game. Herbert, in particular, should straight up own every CB (or Safety) in the running game. Our WRs couldn't block a tackling dummy this year.

Herbert has all the tools to be an all-conference receiver. I don't expect him to put up big numbers in Choate's offense. I do expect him to use his big body and soft hands to be a big-time playmaker. Even if he only gets 4 or 5 targets a game.

I do agree he has a job to do. Our WR's were probably suprised when the ball did hit their hands, similar to winning the lotto this year.
The only catch that mattered this year was Sullivan's!

Bemiller49
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bemiller49 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:37 pm

Sean Opland has been moved to Mike Backer. Great speed and movement for that position. Should have a chance to earn time right away.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:49 pm

Bemiller49 wrote:Sean Opland has been moved to Mike Backer. Great speed and movement for that position. Should have a chance to earn time right away.
I liked Sean at RB, but I think he has a chance to excel at Mike. His explosiveness and physicality are very good, from the tape I've seen. And he was a very good defensive player in High School.

Looking forward to seeing his development.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:15 pm

HelenaCat95 wrote:
Bemiller49 wrote:Sean Opland has been moved to Mike Backer. Great speed and movement for that position. Should have a chance to earn time right away.
I liked Sean at RB, but I think he has a chance to excel at Mike. His explosiveness and physicality are very good, from the tape I've seen. And he was a very good defensive player in High School.

Looking forward to seeing his development.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Agreed! I love this move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKCATFAN
New Recruit

Post by AKCATFAN » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:57 pm

RB situation...Understand that Vander failed a class, so he may not be on our radar any longer.... Has anyone heard anything more about Vanders staus as a Cat?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:03 pm

AKCATFAN wrote:RB situation...Understand that Vander failed a class, so he may not be on our radar any longer.... Has anyone heard anything more about Vanders staus as a Cat?
Looks like you have heard the biggest detail...

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Depth Chart Going Into Spring Ball

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:12 pm

AKCATFAN wrote:RB situation...Understand that Vander failed a class, so he may not be on our radar any longer.... Has anyone heard anything more about Vanders staus as a Cat?
Haven't heard anything, but he was a qualifier out of hs, so failing a class may not necessarily make him ineligible. But maybe there's more to the story. Hard to say and probably unfair to him to speculate.

Going to be lots of carries to go around next fall so we need one or two capable backs so we don't run lasane into the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by wbtfg on Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:44 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Looks like you have heard the biggest detail...
Would explain why we pursued Roper.

Major bummer if true.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:23 pm

His Twitter account still says he's committed, has his commitment pinned and he's re-tweeting MSU football stuff steadily. Failing a class might be why he's not here now, but wouldn't preclude him from coming this summer.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:00 am

[quote="AKCATFAN"]RB situation...Understand that Vander failed a class, so he may not be on our radar any longer.... Has anyone heard anything more about Vanders staus as a Cat?[/quote]

This is a bombshell of a first post. Joined on Jan 5., then blows up the message board six days later.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:54 am

Failing a class, especially 2 semesters before the next season means absolutely nothing if a guy wants to play bad enough. Eligibility requirements go off the previous semester, total credits earned over the previous 2 semesters, GPA over the previous 2 and cumulative GPA. The spring semester and possible summer classes can keep him eligible easy enough if this is the case.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:13 am

It's difficult to take these kinds of posts too seriously considering all the Griz fans posing as Cat fans that were on here last fall. Up until they got hit by that runaway freight train of a run game, that is. Not saying AKCATFAN isn't a Cat fan or doesn't have good information, but considering his first post is bad news and the aforementioned posing, I'll take it with a grain of salt for now.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:37 am

iaafan wrote:It's difficult to take these kinds of posts too seriously considering all the Griz fans posing as Cat fans that were on here last fall. Up until they got hit by that runaway freight train of a run game, that is. Not saying AKCATFAN isn't a Cat fan or doesn't have good information, but considering his first post is bad news and the aforementioned posing, I'll take it with a grain of salt for now.
We all don't know squat until Feb. 1 anyway. I love signing day because then you can get coach explanations on the recruiting process on some of these kids.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:37 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:McGhee also said we have 19 recruits. Did we lose one or gain one?
View what TomCat88 said.
TomCat88 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:OK, great interview and great reason to have a QB coach and Texas recruiting coordinator. But who did we lose? Coach choate said we had 19 commitments!
I really think its Vander just not being officially admitted to the school yet.
Choate doesn't consider the Air Force and UW transfers to be recruits or commits anymore, because they've already signed. If he said 19, that means there's another one that hasn't gone public yet.
(Stuff about Peyton Hanser)...19 commits - including Vander, Omorogbe and Gardenhire as those three will be announced with the class on February 1 even though they are on campus and start school today.
Colter says that Vander is on campus and starts school today. I'd trust Colter's word over anyone else at this point until I hear something from the coaches

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:44 am

[quote="VimSince03"][quote="iaafan"]It's difficult to take these kinds of posts too seriously considering all the Griz fans posing as Cat fans that were on here last fall. Up until they got hit by that runaway freight train of a run game, that is. Not saying AKCATFAN isn't a Cat fan or doesn't have good information, but considering his first post is bad news and the aforementioned posing, I'll take it with a grain of salt for now.[/quote]

We all don't know squat until Feb. 1 anyway. I love signing day because then you can get coach explanations on the recruiting process on some of these kids.[/quote]

Well, we don't know for sure, but wouldn't you say that on average about 90%-95% of the verbal commits end up signing?

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:28 am

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:McGhee also said we have 19 recruits. Did we lose one or gain one?
View what TomCat88 said.
TomCat88 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:OK, great interview and great reason to have a QB coach and Texas recruiting coordinator. But who did we lose? Coach choate said we had 19 commitments!
I really think its Vander just not being officially admitted to the school yet.
Choate doesn't consider the Air Force and UW transfers to be recruits or commits anymore, because they've already signed. If he said 19, that means there's another one that hasn't gone public yet.
(Stuff about Peyton Hanser)...19 commits - including Vander, Omorogbe and Gardenhire as those three will be announced with the class on February 1 even though they are on campus and start school today.
Colter says that Vander is on campus and starts school today. I'd trust Colter's word over anyone else at this point until I hear something from the coaches
Colter just tweeeted this:

Source confirms Montana State is planning on running back Edward Vander joining the team after spring semester

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:35 am

that blows. it would have made a big difference to have him on the team for spring ball.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:43 am

Yes, it would be nice to have him here for spring ball, but that may not have ever been the plan.

bobcatfan4life
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan4life » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:50 am

It may have been nice to have Vander here for the spring, but at least he is still coming. We should just be happy about that.