Last two games: are they sustainable?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: Last two games: are they sustainable?

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:14 pm

Is it sustainable? If you owed $200,000 on your home and I gave you $1 million, would you think you could sustain your payments?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Anacomando
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Anacomando » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:16 pm

Yes, I think it is. I try to look back at the season and I can remember only the SUU and Weber games as being decisive for the opponent...the rest of the games the Cats were there but the experience wasn't. Overall the defense was hugely improved and once this team finds an offensive identity, which I think it has, then the W's will start coming often. The Bobcats are undergoing a process very similar to Washington...while obviously NDSU is Alabama. By Year 3 of Choate this team competes with anyone is I-AA. The Cats will give the Cougs a test right away!

St George
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by St George » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:32 pm

I am very optimistic about 2017. I think the passing game will improve, after all didn't Murray turn 18 right before the last two games. He is going to be fun to watch for the next three years.

bobcatfan4life
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan4life » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:17 pm

Hmmm...I am optimistic we will improve next year on both sides of the ball. I believe Murray is going to flourish here, I do see him improving the passing game during spring ball, summer and fall, as well as putting some muscle on that body of his. We saw him take some big steps in the last two games protecting the ball, going down and being smart. With him improving in the passing game, I do see us being much improved offensively.

Other than maybe 5 times total, when we ran the offense with the 3 running back and Murray, we seemed to get big yards off of this. Yes, it may be different with the other running backs we have. Many of whom haven't played much at all but now will get there shot. I actually am excited for the likes of Logan Jones, Nick Lasane, Pegues, and this new guy Vander to mix up the running back core, oh and James. Lasane has shown what he can do...that run in the Griz game was crazy good and he has shown other times he is good. I am looking forward to seeing Pegues play more, only from what I hear he is crazy fast which would be nice to have. Logan Jones has shown what he can do on kick off returns and a little in the offense. Noah James I don't know much about and this new guy sounds like he could be really good. Plus you always got Murray who we know can run!! Just saying, I like having the 3 backs there.

I believe the offense will only get better. I am excited for what is to come with this team.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:49 pm

One of the most encouraging plays was Brekke's 65-yard run, because it went to the right side. Anyone notice if MSU ran right more often the last two games?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:38 am

I'm not sure about Murray and his passing improving to the point where he can be a dual threat QB. He has always had the speed to outrun a defence, and that is hard to break from your tendencies. Look at Colin Kapernick, Michael Vick... etc. running QB's are great athletes who can run and do amazing things with their feet...but they typically don't lead championship teams. Tom Brady can't run a lick and well, you know the story. Coach Choate is not wanting Colin K knock offs at the Qb position.

My guess is that if any incoming QB can show skill and aptitude to develop a modest passing game, Murray is moved to slot or something of a hybrid to utilise his speed. This is not a wish from me, only a strong hunch!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:17 am

catsrback76 wrote:I'm not sure about Murray and his passing improving to the point where he can be a dual threat QB. He has always had the speed to outrun a defence, and that is hard to break from your tendencies. Look at Colin Kapernick, Michael Vick... etc. running QB's are great athletes who can run and do amazing things with their feet...but they typically don't lead championship teams. Tom Brady can't run a lick and well, you know the story. Coach Choate is not wanting Colin K knock offs at the Qb position.

My guess is that if any incoming QB can show skill and aptitude to develop a modest passing game, Murray is moved to slot or something of a hybrid to utilise his speed. This is not a wish from me, only a strong hunch!
I think many folks will be pleasantly surprised with what we see out of Murray as he matures and gets coached up on the passing game. There is a long list of QB's that started out as 99% run QBs when they're young, and through coaching and development they improve mechanics and learn to look downfield rather than take off running, and their passing game explodes.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:34 pm

Wofford 0 for 3 passing today. Lost to YSU in double OT.

toM StUber

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:27 pm

catatac wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:I'm not sure about Murray and his passing improving to the point where he can be a dual threat QB. He has always had the speed to outrun a defence, and that is hard to break from your tendencies. Look at Colin Kapernick, Michael Vick... etc. running QB's are great athletes who can run and do amazing things with their feet...but they typically don't lead championship teams. Tom Brady can't run a lick and well, you know the story. Coach Choate is not wanting Colin K knock offs at the Qb position.

I think many folks will be pleasantly surprised with what we see out of Murray as he matures and gets coached up on the passing game. There is a long list of QB's that started out as 99% run QBs when they're young, and through coaching and development they improve mechanics and learn to look downfield rather than take off running, and their passing game explodes.
2 critical points: Murray is way too athletically gifted to ride the bench. If he isn't the starting QB, he needs to get 10-15 touches per game as a Percy Harvin type hybrid back. The other big point: Its a long shot (not impossible) for any of the backups or either of the new recruits to be ready to replace Murray come September, for the same reason that Murray was behind Bruggman. Its just a super steep learning curve to catch up, especially when Murray gets snaps as the #1 in spring camp. Murray has already shown that he understands what it means to extend the play, rather than take off up the field.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:52 pm

What is it about his pass technique/style that makes you unsure about his passing improving?

toM StUber

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:09 am

TomCat88 wrote:

What is it about his pass technique/style that makes you unsure about his passing improving?
I don't think it's mechanics as much as it's the capacity to translate that into a game situation. Take Bruggman and put him through the same grid backwards...he can pass it very well...in practice. But putting him into a game it never got translated into a game skill. Bruggman's skills at passing are excellent, to the point that the Coach was convinced it was only a "matter of time" before it all clicked, and we waited until it was so painful that the only relief was to play a true freshman with huge skills running the football that we could at least "maybe win a game", or two.

My only point on Murray AGAIN, is not that I don't think it's possible, I just have my doubts. I hope he can make that switch go on in his progressions so that he can throw it soon enough and in rhythm to make the ball come out on time. But...my guess is he becomes a centre piece to our offence at a different position.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:21 am

Yeah, I'm not sure what you're saying either catsrback76. What specifically do you think he can't do? I think his biggest problem was that he was trying to force passes in there when the coverage was tight. I put a big chunk of that on the WRs not getting open very often, not the QB. That also hurt Bruggman.

I've heard Murray is a very intelligent dude and I tend to think he's going to make big strides in spring ball and summer ball.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:25 am

Muscle memory.

He should be getting a ton of reps as we speak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:38 am

iaafan wrote:Yeah, I'm not sure what you're saying either catsrback76. What specifically do you think he can't do? I think his biggest problem was that he was trying to force passes in there when the coverage was tight. I put a big chunk of that on the WRs not getting open very often, not the QB. That also hurt Bruggman.

I've heard Murray is a very intelligent dude and I tend to think he's going to make big strides in spring ball and summer ball.
Good point. Its hard to overstate how awful our WRs/TEs were this year. Clearly the worst position group on the team, maybe in the entire Big Sky. And that's a position that was loaded with juniors & seniors. And Herbert/Gates/Paige looked pretty decent as sophomores. Couldn't get open. Couldn't catch a cold. Wouldn't/couldn't block downfield.

If they can return to 2015 (or even 2014) form, or if the younger guys like Kassis/Sutton/Stephens/Tucker can step it up, its going to make life way easier on Murray.

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:42 am

One thing we as fans tend to forget is that these kids coming in are still young with a lot to learn. To me it didn't look like the physical part of throwing was what held the passing game back. It was reading coverage, receivers not getting separation, and the speed of FCS vs. High School causing indecision. Those things come with reps and experience. That offense just needs a serviceable passing game to be successful - it doesn't need to put up air raid type numbers. Barring injury or garbage time, I don't think you'll see anybody but Murray under center for the next 3 years

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:54 am

It's pretty obvious to me that the problem was a lack of new uniforms and/or cleats. 8)

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:01 am

tdub wrote:One thing we as fans tend to forget is that these kids coming in are still young with a lot to learn. To me it didn't look like the physical part of throwing was what held the passing game back. It was reading coverage, receivers not getting separation, and the speed of FCS vs. High School causing indecision. Those things come with reps and experience. That offense just needs a serviceable passing game to be successful - it doesn't need to put up air raid type numbers. Barring injury or garbage time, I don't think you'll see anybody but Murray under center for the next 3 years
Another thing Choate mentioned in press conferences was the importance of building chemistry over the off season with receivers. Murray got to bozeman in August, and was basically taking 2nd/3rd/4th team reps all of fall camp. Just having the ability to throw a few thousand balls to Herbert, Sullivan, Paige, Kassis, etc., and understand how they like the ball, how they run routes, how they see the game, and visa versa for the receivers to learn about Murray will be HUGE.

That, along with getting stronger, understanding the intricacies of the offense and opposing defenses, and shortening up his throwing motion will hopefully help Chis go from being a great athlete to being a great QB.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:09 am

My opinion about the QB position or any position for that matter can be summed up with one name. Jordan West.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:39 am

onceacat wrote:
iaafan wrote:Yeah, I'm not sure what you're saying either catsrback76. What specifically do you think he can't do? I think his biggest problem was that he was trying to force passes in there when the coverage was tight. I put a big chunk of that on the WRs not getting open very often, not the QB. That also hurt Bruggman.

Good point. Its hard to overstate how awful our WRs/TEs were this year. Clearly the worst position group on the team, maybe in the entire Big Sky. And that's a position that was loaded with juniors & seniors. And Herbert/Gates/Paige looked pretty decent as sophomores. Couldn't get open. Couldn't catch a cold. Wouldn't/couldn't block downfield.

If they can return to 2015 (or even 2014) form, or if the younger guys like Kassis/Sutton/Stephens/Tucker can step it up, its going to make life way easier on Murray.
I agree with this 100%! I think Herbert was his normal, consistent self but teams game planned to take him away. I thought it was so disheartening to see our "big play" threats drop pass after pass. Especially in the quick bubble screen, snap screen in the flat patterns! I would estimate we had double-digit drops on these routes! I predict that we will see Herbert and a lot more of the underclassmen this next year (Kassis, Sutton, Stephens, Tucker & Daum), hopefully this position group raises its level of play significantly. Like you said, would have a huge impact on Murray and opening our playbook up.

I also heard that coaches were raving about Brown in practice and are thrilled with his potential, mostly hearsay as I did not hear directly from a coach so could just be rumors, has anyone else heard this?

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:41 am

I keep forgetting about Daum...... really curious to see how he looks this spring.

FTG- GO CATS GO!