2017 CONFIRMED Schedule

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2017 CONFIRMED Schedule

Post by coachouert » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:08 pm

I changed the thread title since Colter was able to confirm this.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

bobcatfan4life
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: 2017 TENTATIVE Schedule

Post by bobcatfan4life » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:17 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:Confirmed with Montana State that this is in fact the 2017 schedule

Montana State solidifies 2017 football schedule
http://skylinesportsmt.com/montana-stat ... -schedule/

Colter you noted in the article that MSU and NAU didn't play in 2016, but we actually did. They played here and we lost 20-14.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:54 pm

bobcatfan4life wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:Confirmed with Montana State that this is in fact the 2017 schedule

Colter you noted in the article that MSU and NAU didn't play in 2016, but we actually did. They played here and we lost 20-14.
Pretty embarrassing brain fart there since I was at the game and covered it...Thanks, it's corrected!

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:58 pm

I'd like to THANK the Bobcat Athletic Department for posting this schedule now, instead of sometime next spring which has been the case in the past. IT IS APPRECIATED!

bobcatfan4life
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan4life » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:17 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
bobcatfan4life wrote:

Pretty embarrassing brain fart there since I was at the game and covered it...Thanks, it's corrected!
One more note, it should actually be NAU outlasted MSU not NAU outlasted NAU! Sorry for the corrections

bobcatfan4life
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan4life » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:32 pm

Okay I like this schedule and love the poster!! One of the best posters yet...although the Men's Basketball poster this year was pretty cool too.
With that said, the 2017 schedule looks pretty tough...but I like a few things. I like we aren't playing any D-II Teams because those games really don't do anything for us in the end. I am up in the air about playing an FBS team, but I do know it brings money into the athletic department either way win or loss.

It is interesting we don't play even one of the California teams next year, but our schedule is pretty tough for sure. I mean to play FBS, than SDSU who has been in playoffs for many years and we played them a couple of years ago and lost in a blizzard. Than to play UND there with how much better they are will be a tough start to the year. There really aren't any necessary give me games on the schedule, but at the same time with the improvement made in the last 2 games this year and the improvement we hope for during spring with Murray I do believe things are looking up.

LETS GO CATS!!

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:46 pm

bobcatfan4life wrote: I am up in the air about playing an FBS team, but I do know it brings money into the athletic department either way win or loss.

LETS GO CATS!!
I know we've traditionally played the FBS games for the money, but I'm thinking that most of the time now we'd be just as financially ahead with a home game since the revenue from a home game (now that the 'Cats draw 18,000+) should be about the same as the "net" from most FBS games. Used to be we'd get $500k, but seems to me we've only been getting about $300-350k lately. The FBS games haven't been kind to us from an injury stand point either.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:51 pm

so let me get this straight-

the Bye is the 3rd weekend of September, Usually the best weekend for Bow Hunting.....

An Away game on opening weekend rifle.....

And Cat-Griz in Bozeman (not a surprise, but always fun)

This is me doing the happy dance \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

FTG- GO CATS GO!

bobcatfan4life
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan4life » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:52 pm

catscat wrote:
bobcatfan4life wrote: I am up in the air about playing an FBS team, but I do know it brings money into the athletic department either way win or loss.

LETS GO CATS!!
I know we've traditionally played the FBS games for the money, but I'm thinking that most of the time now we'd be just as financially ahead with a home game since the revenue from a home game (now that the 'Cats draw 18,000+) should be about the same as the "net" from most FBS games. Used to be we'd get $500k, but seems to me we've only been getting about $300-350k lately. The FBS games haven't been kind to us from an injury stand point either.

I understand what you are saying and in many ways I would completely agree, if we could get another FCS team to come to Bozeman for a home game I would be all for that because we do draw a great crowd. It would just be finding a team that wants to fly here and doesn't expect us to go there if the point is to bring in the revenue. And I do agree the last few times injuries have occurred that hurt us down the line from these games, but that is the risk you take to play the FBS teams.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:56 pm

msucatzfan wrote:If this schedule holds true, I love our chances at returning to the playoffs next year. I see @ Eastern as the only sure conference loss. I see the cats finishing the conference schedule with 1 or 2 conference losses (Eastern and either at ND, at NAU, or UM). That should be good for a first round playoff game.

The first two non-conference games are pretty tough. We wont beat Wazzu and SDSU was a playoff team. A win against SDSU would be great for our resume. Ill chalk up a win against Kennesaw State (from Georgia) in Bozeman in November.

Go Cats!
:-k

I love the schedule, but definitely see it different than you do.... I only see 1 game on there that is a "for sure win". Looks like a very challenging schedule to me.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:09 pm

Nice to see the conference office remembered that MSU and Northern Colorado are both in the Big Sky. Last time they played each other was in 2013! Also don't write off Kennesaw State as an easy win - they went 8-3 this year albeit against a fairly weak schedule.

Cat_gld
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat_gld » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:09 pm

MSU01 wrote:Nice to see the conference office remembered that MSU and Northern Colorado are both in the Big Sky. Last time they played each other was in 2013! Also don't write off Kennesaw State as an easy win - they went 8-3 this year albeit against a fairly weak schedule.
They did play a couple of good fcs teams losing to Liberty and Charleston Southern, but were not blown out.

vike_king
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by vike_king » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:15 pm

The schedule is out already???? Damnit, I was looking forward to a couple more months of bitching......

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:07 pm

My thoughts....1. Huge props to Choate and the athletic department for not only getting the schedule out before the end of the year, but for putting out an amazing poster to go with. Huge steps in that area are being made.
2. If Baldwin leaves EWU, I think EWU will end up as a middle of the pack team. They lose a ton of weapons and a very good head coach. I have a ton of respect for Baldwin and hope to see him be successful if he leaves.
3. We were young this last season and will bring a ton of talent to the table. As huge as Cat-griz was though, Choate was 100% correct with saying that we have not done anything yet and the work begins now. I like our chances, but the road won't be easy. If we can win at least 7 or 8, the future is very bright for this program.

Punters are people too!!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:54 pm

Sigma Chi Beta Rho chapter's 100th anniversary is the weekend of the South Dakota State game. What a fun OOC game to attend with 300 fellow EXers!

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:08 am

The MICKSTER wrote:I'd like to THANK the Bobcat Athletic Department for posting this schedule now, instead of sometime next spring which has been the case in the past. IT IS APPRECIATED!
Amen. Glad to see it out early. I'd also like to see future scheduled games on msubobcats.com too. The Grizzlies have games out to 2021 on their website. You could note them as "tentative" in case of schedule changes.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:23 am

That's a good schedule. I wish the Kennesaw game was earlier, but it may also be beneficial to have it late. For the first time in a long time I can say it's better than the Griz OOC schedule. The outcome of all their OOC games is pre-determined. They'll beat Valpo and Savannah St by 50 and lose to UW by 50. I'm not sure we can't catch typically slow-starting WSU off-guard the first game and SDSU is a good matchup that could go either way.

St George
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by St George » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:31 am

Trying to decide,

Assuming Sept 9th will be Gold Rush game, possibly under the lights.
Sept 30th will be homecoming.

Which game is more fun to attend? I have been to homecoming for a number of years but haven't been to an home opener for a long time. I try to bring 6 to 8 friends from Idaho with me to partake.

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:35 am

mslacatfan wrote:
msucatzfan wrote:If this schedule holds true, I love our chances at returning to the playoffs next year. I see @ Eastern as the only sure conference loss. I see the cats finishing the conference schedule with 1 or 2 conference losses (Eastern and either at ND, at NAU, or UM). That should be good for a first round playoff game.

The first two non-conference games are pretty tough. We wont beat Wazzu and SDSU was a playoff team. A win against SDSU would be great for our resume. Ill chalk up a win against Kennesaw State (from Georgia) in Bozeman in November.

Go Cats!
:-k

I love the schedule, but definitely see it different than you do.... I only see 1 game on there that is a "for sure win". Looks like a very challenging schedule to me.
I'm with you, pretty hard to see a bunch of for sures on there, but it will definitely give us an idea of the progress we're making as a program. To me the schedule (and thus the season) swings on 3 or 4 games, as they usually do. Weber at home, at UND, and UM. We win those, you can maybe assume we'll beat ISU, Kennesaw, and Portland State. We don't win all of those games, it likely becomes at best another opportunity to build forward momentum in our rebuild, as it's hard to see being ready to compete at EWU, at Wazzu, at NAU. The season becomes then, about beating either UNC on the road or SDSU at home on gold rush, to get to 7 D1 wins. Obviously there's a ton of things that can and will change a lot, but that's my initial take at first study.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:38 am

If you are planning to attend the WA .St. game on 9/2, you need to start planning now. Most of the hotels in Moscow and Pullman are already sold out. I was lucky to get a reservation at the Best Western Plus University in Moscow by calling them direct. All the online sites showed them as sold out.