Prukop Interview

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: Prukop Interview

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:40 am

KittieKop wrote:Before anyone gets their panties in a wad, I'm not making a direct apples to apples comparison..,..but no one had any issues when Odin Coe "ditched" his team for a once in a lifetime opportunity. I don't begrudge Prukop for taking a shot.

Prukop got benched because Oregon's defense couldn't stop a peewee league team from scoring. Coaches quickly realized they were going nowhere this season, so might as well get valuable playing time for next year's heir apparent. With any semblance of a defense Prukop's in a bowl game.
Such a great comparison! Next, you should compare Prukop leaving, to Blake Braun leaving the team due to injury. It's about as accurate as Coe leaving football completely, to pursue other life opportunities.
At least you admitted in your first sentence that it's a stupid comparison.

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:41 am

91catAlum wrote:
KittieKop wrote:Before anyone gets their panties in a wad, I'm not making a direct apples to apples comparison..,..but no one had any issues when Odin Coe "ditched" his team for a once in a lifetime opportunity. I don't begrudge Prukop for taking a shot.

Prukop got benched because Oregon's defense couldn't stop a peewee league team from scoring. Coaches quickly realized they were going nowhere this season, so might as well get valuable playing time for next year's heir apparent. With any semblance of a defense Prukop's in a bowl game.
Such a great comparison! Next, you should compare Prukop leaving, to Blake Braun leaving the team due to injury. It's about as accurate as Coe leaving football completely, to pursue other life opportunities.
Care to explain why its such a stupid comparison, or you content to just throw insults?

I said its not a DIRECT comparison, but it analogous. We don't have issues with kids who forgo their last year of eligibility to go to graduate school or graduate and get on with their professional life. We don't have an issue with a kid who leaves the team to enlist in the military. We don't have an issue with a kid who leaves because either "their heart isn't in it" or out of concern for further injury. But we have an issue with a kid who moves "up" in the world to pursue what he thinks is a better opportunity to improve his chances in life.

Why is it a "stupid comparison" to compare people leaving the MSU football program, for different causes, but all for what they think at the time are chances to improve their future lives?

Prukop's decision obviously didn't pan out, but I don't have an issue with the decision. Its funny how if he'd gone to Oregon, lit the world on fire and they were playing for a national championship, a lot of the same detractors would be raving about the Bobcat leading an FBS team to a championship.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:13 am

KittieKop wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Care to explain why its such a stupid comparison, or you content to just throw insults?

I said its not a DIRECT comparison, but it analogous. We don't have issues with kids who forgo their last year of eligibility to go to graduate school or graduate and get on with their professional life. We don't have an issue with a kid who leaves the team to enlist in the military. We don't have an issue with a kid who leaves because either "their heart isn't in it" or out of concern for further injury. But we have an issue with a kid who moves "up" in the world to pursue what he thinks is a better opportunity to improve his chances in life.

Why is it a "stupid comparison" to compare people leaving the MSU football program, for different causes, but all for what they think at the time are chances to improve their future lives?

Prukop's decision obviously didn't pan out, but I don't have an issue with the decision. Its funny how if he'd gone to Oregon, lit the world on fire and they were playing for a national championship, a lot of the same detractors would be raving about the Bobcat leading an FBS team to a championship.
I think it is an ok comparison.

I'll be honest, it sucked about Coe and I was pretty pissed. Super cool of the guy to go fight for this country and give his life to the greater good, but he could have just as easily stayed another year and finished what he started at MSU.

I was pissed at Prukop as well in the beginning, he left us high and dry for a team that didn't even have a chance at a national championship. He gave up an opportunity to play for ALABAMA for Oregon. I would have been less pissed if he went to Alabama just because they have a shot at the title. I've calmed down a bunch since he left and I wished he would have been given the reigns all season. And in my opinion he should have been the starter all year to give them the best chance of winning.

It is definitely not an apples to apples comparison but both kids leaving to pursue their "dream" can be discussed.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:23 am

KittieKop wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

I didn't mean to insult you, just your post.
The reason it's a stupid analogy is this: A kid deciding to entirely leave the game of football is a completely different situation than a kid leaving his current football team for a better team because he feels "above" his current team, because he "always felt under-recruited".

I really don't want to rehash the Prukop situation, and I don't begrudge him making the decision he did. I get it. But I also don't like it when the Prukop apologists act like Mother Theresa herself would've done the same thing and completely ignore the selfish aspect of it all, and even ignore Prukop's own words. There's at least 2 angles to see it from and both have some merit, and both played into it. If we could all agree on that, we could put this to bed.

That's all I have to say about that.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:52 am

91catAlum wrote: I didn't mean to insult you, just your post.
The reason it's a stupid analogy is this: A kid deciding to entirely leave the game of football is a completely different situation than a kid leaving his current football team for a better team because he feels "above" his current team, because he "always felt under-recruited".

I really don't want to rehash the Prukop situation, and I don't begrudge him making the decision he did. I get it. But I also don't like it when the Prukop apologists act like Mother Theresa herself would've done the same thing and completely ignore the selfish aspect of it all, and even ignore Prukop's own words. There's at least 2 angles to see it from and both have some merit, and both played into it. If we could all agree on that, we could put this to bed.

That's all I have to say about that.
Exactly what I thought when comparing the two.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:17 pm

The difference between DP and Coe is one move is looked at as inherently selfless and one is looked at as selfish. Fighting FOR your country vs. transferring for YOU. So there is a difference. I don't have an issue with each. I was very disappointed to see both leave the team but I don't begrudge them for it.

We always expect other people to act selfless while we act selfish. And I'm not talking about selfish in a bad way. Everyday we make decisions for our self that are selfish. We are selfish by nature and we should be. But we always expect others to do selfless things when it benefits us or our team. Because we are being selfish.

Selfishly I want Kittiecop to be selfless and completely move on from Ash to Choate and never speak of Ash again......Kidding...Kidding. :lol: :lol: :lol: But we always expect selflessness from others and give ourselves a pass for being selfish.

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:36 pm

I wonder if there would have been a division on the team if he had stayed. But I have to doubt that there would be with Choate in charge.

I knew something was up after his post game interview after the UND game in 2015.

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:40 pm

WeedKillinCat wrote:I wonder if there would have been a division on the team if he had stayed. But I have to doubt that there would be with Choate in charge.

I knew something was up after his post game interview after the UND game in 2015.
Remind me what he said?

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:04 pm

lutecat wrote:
WeedKillinCat wrote:I wonder if there would have been a division on the team if he had stayed. But I have to doubt that there would be with Choate in charge.

Remind me what he said?
I wish I could remember but it went along the lines that the guys on the offense were his brothers and wouldn't play with anybody else. To me I felt that his time at MSU was up and there was something going on in the locker room.

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:50 pm

WeedKillinCat wrote:
lutecat wrote:

Remind me what he said?
I wish I could remember but it went along the lines that the guys on the offense were his brothers and wouldn't play with anybody else. To me I felt that his time at MSU was up and there was something going on in the locker room.
MSU rushed for 194 yards against a defense that is giving up just 81 rushing yards per game. The Bobcats ran 78 plays for 479 yards as Prukop piled up 299 yards of total offense and three total touchdowns. But the offense failed to rise to the occasion in key situations and now Montana State will almost certainly be on the outside looking in when the FCS playoffs roll around.

Following the game, Prukop walked into the Oriole Room at the Alerus Center fully dressed in his pads, jersey and cleats. He stepped to the podium and did not field a single question. Instead, he let rip an 84-second statement that the junior captain feels sums up Montana State’s disappointing season.

“There’s two things I’m going to talk about right here,” Prukop said, fighting back emotions. “You have to find a silver lining in this. Sometimes football is humbling. Sometimes, you can come out and play an outstanding game and it doesn’t work out in your favor. It’s happened to us multiple times this season and it hurts. It’s not the team that we are. I want to say two things: one, how proud I am of my offensive line, my receivers, my running backs. I’m surrounded by warriors, I’m surrounded by gladiators. They do their jobs every play and they give 150,000 percent every single play. If there’s one thing I can count on always in life, it’s that the guys on our offense right now will give me every play. The other thing I want to talk about, silver lining. At the beginning of every game, we talk about how whether we win or lose, we will give the glory to God. That’s something that just hit me. That’s something you don’t want to do right here. You are frustrated. But I want to give the glory to God to be able to play this game with the offensive guys I’m playing with. I’m extremely blessed to be at a place where I have guys I want to play with, guys who are going to play hard, a coaching staff I love that will sell out for me every week and I realize that. It’s a humbling event, it’s not how I wanted it to turn out but I’m extremely blessed to be here.”
Bobcats fall short yet again as playoff hopes disappear at UND
http://skylinesportsmt.com/bobcats-fall ... ar-at-und/

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:56 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
WeedKillinCat wrote:
lutecat wrote:

Remind me what he said?
MSU rushed for 194 yards against a defense that is giving up just 81 rushing yards per game. The Bobcats ran 78 plays for 479 yards as Prukop piled up 299 yards of total offense and three total touchdowns. But the offense failed to rise to the occasion in key situations and now Montana State will almost certainly be on the outside looking in when the FCS playoffs roll around.

Following the game, Prukop walked into the Oriole Room at the Alerus Center fully dressed in his pads, jersey and cleats. He stepped to the podium and did not field a single question. Instead, he let rip an 84-second statement that the junior captain feels sums up Montana State’s disappointing season.

“There’s two things I’m going to talk about right here,” Prukop said, fighting back emotions. “You have to find a silver lining in this. Sometimes football is humbling. Sometimes, you can come out and play an outstanding game and it doesn’t work out in your favor. It’s happened to us multiple times this season and it hurts. It’s not the team that we are. I want to say two things: one, how proud I am of my offensive line, my receivers, my running backs. I’m surrounded by warriors, I’m surrounded by gladiators. They do their jobs every play and they give 150,000 percent every single play. If there’s one thing I can count on always in life, it’s that the guys on our offense right now will give me every play. The other thing I want to talk about, silver lining. At the beginning of every game, we talk about how whether we win or lose, we will give the glory to God. That’s something that just hit me. That’s something you don’t want to do right here. You are frustrated. But I want to give the glory to God to be able to play this game with the offensive guys I’m playing with. I’m extremely blessed to be at a place where I have guys I want to play with, guys who are going to play hard, a coaching staff I love that will sell out for me every week and I realize that. It’s a humbling event, it’s not how I wanted it to turn out but I’m extremely blessed to be here.”
Wow, I had forgotten exactly how that interview went, although remember it seeming odd at the time as well. Pretty clear just from reading that there was a major division within that 2015 team. Probably, as so many have stated, that more than anything is what led to Ash being fired. I was an Ash guy through and through, but he clearly let that intra-team situation get away from him, possibly by being too hands-off, or possibly by falling in love too much with the high-powered offense, while letting Marshall struggle along trying to play defense for 3 quarters of every game. But I believe, deeply, that the true cancer in that locker room, that caused that rift, was Tim Cramsey. Always have believed it. His offense was impressive, but his conduct while here showed him, IMO, to be immature, and his comments after Ash was fired, trying to use Prukop and other players to get the head job, was awful. I think possibly the best by-product of Ash getting fired, besides having the good fortune to hire somebody like Coach Choate, was getting Cramsey the hell out of dodge.

Cat_gld
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat_gld » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:16 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
WeedKillinCat wrote:
lutecat wrote:

Remind me what he said?

Wow, I had forgotten exactly how that interview went, although remember it seeming odd at the time as well. Pretty clear just from reading that there was a major division within that 2015 team. Probably, as so many have stated, that more than anything is what led to Ash being fired. I was an Ash guy through and through, but he clearly let that intra-team situation get away from him, possibly by being too hands-off, or possibly by falling in love too much with the high-powered offense, while letting Marshall struggle along trying to play defense for 3 quarters of every game. But I believe, deeply, that the true cancer in that locker room, that caused that rift, was Tim Cramsey. Always have believed it. His offense was impressive, but his conduct while here showed him, IMO, to be immature, and his comments after Ash was fired, trying to use Prukop and other players to get the head job, was awful. I think possibly the best by-product of Ash getting fired, besides having the good fortune to hire somebody like Coach Choate, was getting Cramsey the hell out of dodge.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:48 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
WeedKillinCat wrote:
lutecat wrote:

Remind me what he said?

Nailed it

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:28 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
WeedKillinCat wrote:
lutecat wrote:

Remind me what he said?

Ya know, it left a bad taste in my mouth too. He did apply for the head job, but go back and watch the interview again where he talks about taking care of his family. That was a guy in distress. He wanted the HC job, but that was a guy who didn't know if he would have any job. With a family to provide for, it becomes difficult not to bend your other values a little in order to make damn sure that you know where your next paycheck is coming from.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:13 pm

DriscollCat wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
WeedKillinCat wrote:
lutecat wrote:

Remind me what he said?

Ya know, it left a bad taste in my mouth too. He did apply for the head job, but go back and watch the interview again where he talks about taking care of his family. That was a guy in distress. He wanted the HC job, but that was a guy who didn't know if he would have any job. With a family to provide for, it becomes difficult not to bend your other values a little in order to make damn sure that you know where your next paycheck is coming from.
Ok, I'll grant that, a bit of desperation may have been called for there. I won't let him off the hook, though, for the discord sown in last year's team though.

BlackhawkCat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BlackhawkCat » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:12 pm

All the best Dakota. Sad thing is you won't play in the league if you can't hannot playing with your offensive coordinator. Playing Sunday's is all about constant change. Changing coordinators is a very minor inconvenience. Wish you would have stayed with the Cats. Good luck to you in all future endeavors.

BDizzle

Post by BDizzle » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:45 am

Dakota is in the hospital with blood clots in his arm. Sounds like the prognosis is good but his football days are over. Wishing him the best.

GO GRIZ!

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:54 am

BDizzle wrote:Dakota is in the hospital with blood clots in his arm. Sounds like the prognosis is good but his football days are over. Wishing him the best.
WOW really? I just looked around and couldn't find anything about this...Hope everything turns out OK...Prayers for a healthy outcome for him...Once a CAT always a CAT

FTG06'
Member # Retired

Post by FTG06' » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:37 pm

BDizzle wrote:Dakota is in the hospital with blood clots in his arm. Sounds like the prognosis is good but his football days are over. Wishing him the best.
Source?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Men, do your duty.
3-7-77

BDizzle

Post by BDizzle » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:44 pm

FTG06' wrote:
Source?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A good friend of his. He came over to my house for Christmas Eve. Said he had just got off the phone with Dakota who was in the hospital.

GO GRIZ!