Gregorak vs. Green

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Re: Gregorak vs. Green

Post by bobcat92 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:47 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:I don't really get their whole "big brother" superiority complex. Both schools were established at the same time by the legislature-though what is now known as MSU started holding classes first. And MSU is vastly larger in acreage and enrollment. I guess their stadium is bigger and they have Monte. That must be it. :roll:
I just call them the "The Little University of Montana" or LUM for short. When I was at Bozeman late 80's early 90's they might have had slight edge in enrollment. I would never have thought that MSU would become the largest in enrollment.

I agree I don't understand the complex as well. I find it funny that UofM was actually MSU and MSU was MSC back in the day. A lot of the older Griz fans are really "MSU" graduates!

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:40 am

Last season we couldn't get much going against the Griz D even with that high powered offense of Cramsey's and Prukop taking snaps. This year the Griz O can't move the ball even with that high powered Stitt offense. The only common denominator to these dominating performances is Gregorak. Can't listen to anymore griz fans say that he is a dud. Proof is in the pudding. Choate made one hell of a hire. Can't wait to see what he puts together here in the next season or two on the defensive side.

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:32 am

utucats wrote:Last season we couldn't get much going against the Griz D even with that high powered offense of Cramsey's and Prukop taking snaps. This year the Griz O can't move the ball even with that high powered Stitt offense. The only common denominator to these dominating performances is Gregorak. Can't listen to anymore griz fans say that he is a dud. Proof is in the pudding. Choate made one hell of a hire. Can't wait to see what he puts together here in the next season or two on the defensive side.
But aren't you guys giving Ty too much credit here. Yes he is technically the defensive coordinator and plays a large role, but that defense, its schemes, and concepts has Choate's finger prints all over it. If I'm giving anyone credit for the defensive improvement it's 75% to Choate and 25% to Ty. The Cats D looked nothing like what Ty was doing at UM. You got a good one in Choate. Now you need an OC to get even better.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:41 am

utucats wrote:Last season we couldn't get much going against the Griz D even with that high powered offense of Cramsey's and Prukop taking snaps. This year the Griz O can't move the ball even with that high powered Stitt offense. The only common denominator to these dominating performances is Gregorak. Can't listen to anymore griz fans say that he is a dud. Proof is in the pudding. Choate made one hell of a hire. Can't wait to see what he puts together here in the next season or two on the defensive side.
MSU had over 300 yards passing and almost 200 yards rushing for a total of 503 yards against the Griz in 2015.

I don't what game you watched, but the actual game wasn't one where the offense was shut down by the Griz.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:45 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
But aren't you guys giving Ty too much credit here. Yes he is technically the defensive coordinator and plays a large role, but that defense, its schemes, and concepts has Choate's finger prints all over it. If I'm giving anyone credit for the defensive improvement it's 75% to Choate and 25% to Ty. The Cats D looked nothing like what Ty was doing at UM. You got a good one in Choate. Now you need an OC to get even better.
What exactly do you mean, Choate's fingerprints? Can you be more specific?

Choate credited Ty and staff immediately after the game. It was Ty's game plan. I'm sure most griz fans do not want to acknowledge the fact that Ty is a great D coach, because they lost him to their arch rival. I'd be saying the same things If Cramsey had gone to the griz, for an example.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:23 pm

PapaG wrote:
MSU had over 300 yards passing and almost 200 yards rushing for a total of 503 yards against the Griz in 2015.

I don't what game you watched, but the actual game wasn't one where the offense was shut down by the Griz.
The offense did very good against UM after it got behind 31-7.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:28 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
PapaG wrote:

That's not the point though. If the refs don't fall for UM's punter faking a roughing call, the offense scores again and Stitt's butthole starts to pucker.

Says more about the horrible defense giving up so many yards and points to the Griz in the first half than it does anything else.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:32 pm

PapaG wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
PapaG wrote:

That's not the point though. If the refs don't fall for UM's punter faking a roughing call, the offense scores again and Stitt's butthole starts to pucker.

Says more about the horrible defense giving up so many yards and points to the Griz in the first half than it does anything else.
The defense was bad for sure. I offense was statistically good for sure.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:18 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Last years grizz defense didn't look like Ty's defense either, it had Stit and Seymores finger prints on it . This year's Cat
Defense had similarities to past grizz defense's when Phlugrad and Delaney we're Coaching . ILike the hire and the
Over all increase in physicality - Coach Chote is a good one and when he gets the Offense working the way he wants it, it
won't be fun for opponents- I really liked the pancake block by JP on # 10 on Chris's 47 yard draw TD against the grizz . I
Think that's some of the Idenity Coach Chote talks about the Cat's having on both sides of the ball .

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:36 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
PapaG wrote:

The defense was bad for sure. I offense was statistically good for sure.
I think the Cramsey offense doesn't get enough credit for the way it racked up points in garbage time last year against the second string of bad defenses like EWU and NAU. And if we could just rearrange some of the TDs from our 50+ point blowouts of powerhouse teams like Davis, Eastern Tennessee, and Mesa State, the Cats would have been, how did Bob Stitt put it..."like a 9-2 or 8-3 team right now."

Thats snarky, but our "record setting" offense was good enough to keep us in games when the D could shut down other teams.

I don't care if its Choate, Gregorak, Alexander or the ghost of Bear Bryant that's fixed our scheme. The same 20 guys (plus a bunch of Freshmen) that got steamrolled on D last year ended up being a pretty solid unit this year. Can't believe Green would post that tweet after the Cats stuffed Gus on 4th & 1.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:30 am

Big brother? Is that necessarily a good thing?

For instance, Taylor Griffin (6-8, 231, born April 19, 1986) of the Italian League's Pallacanestro Trapani is the "big brother" of Blake Griffin (6-10, 251, born March 16, 1989) of the NBA's Los Angeles Clippers.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:38 am

I'm sure Gregorak was making the same type of comments about MSU when he coached in Missoula. I think it's stupid to talk/type smack after you just got beat, but that's the arrogance of that program I guess.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:03 pm

Gregorak would absolutely crush Green. Dude is huge. I got a kick how Green crawled into a hole with his response after TG set him straight. It was like, "Oops, I didn't know Ty was gonna see that." Lol.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:52 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
I give credit to the entire coaching staff.

1) Developing and recruiting DB's that could cover, AND play the run
2) Patchwork D Line which was much maligned most of the season but rose to the occasion
3) Linebackers with an attitude
4) Overall game plan to play keep-away from Stitt's 90-play-a-game offense
5) Not letting the kids panic when the Griz scored early, and sticking to the plan.
6) And IMO most importantly, sticking together as a staff after losing 6 straight conference games

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:14 pm

PapaG wrote:

In the competitive moments of the game(and there weren't many) we had trouble and I could offer many examples of the Griz d clamping down on us in the most crucial moments of the game. We racked up a lot of yards in garbage minutes and on 1st and 2nd down. TG had some great defensive performances against us and even though they gave up some yards they always have been able to force turnovers. Even most years we got the best of TG it was close and not dominated by offensive play. My point isn't that TG deserves all the credit or that no one has ever had a good offensive game against him, it is simply that the notion Griz fans have been pushing that somehow they got the good end of last year's coaching changes is proving to be laughable.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:30 pm

utucats wrote:
PapaG wrote:

In the competitive moments of the game(and there weren't many) we had trouble and I could offer many examples of the Griz d clamping down on us in the most crucial moments of the game. We racked up a lot of yards in garbage minutes and on 1st and 2nd down. TG had some great defensive performances against us and even though they gave up some yards they always have been able to force turnovers. Even most years we got the best of TG it was close and not dominated by offensive play. My point isn't that TG deserves all the credit or that no one has ever had a good offensive game against him, it is simply that the notion Griz fans have been pushing that somehow they got the good end of last year's coaching changes is proving to be laughable.
Garbage time being when we stormed back to within 8 and were about to get the ball back if not for a "roughing the punter" penalty?

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:15 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
utucats wrote:
PapaG wrote:

Garbage time being when we stormed back to within 8 and were about to get the ball back if not for a "roughing the punter" penalty?
I always classify it as "garbage time" when you are down by 3 scores at any point in the game. It's possible to come back from down by that much, but once you put up a 3 score lead in football, you've got a 90% chance of winning. I know, we blew a 3 score lead to Sac with 5 minutes left, & I think I've seen 3 scores in the last 2 minutes too, but those are really rare.

I was as pissed as anyone over the that flop, but if you want to win a game, your offense needs to keep up before it comes to letting a drama major affect the outcome of the game.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:17 am

WalkOn79 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
I give credit to the entire coaching staff.

1) Developing and recruiting DB's that could cover, AND play the run
2) Patchwork D Line which was much maligned most of the season but rose to the occasion
3) Linebackers with an attitude
4) Overall game plan to play keep-away from Stitt's 90-play-a-game offense
5) Not letting the kids panic when the Griz scored early, and sticking to the plan.
6) And IMO most importantly, sticking together as a staff after losing 6 straight conference games
We hold co-ordinators accountable when their assistants fail to perform or their athletes don't perform. We should give the coaches the same credit when they perform well. The staff performed exceptionally well for Cat-Griz. =D^

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:21 am

onceacat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
utucats wrote:
PapaG wrote:

I always classify it as "garbage time" when you are down by 3 scores at any point in the game. It's possible to come back from down by that much, but once you put up a 3 score lead in football, you've got a 90% chance of winning. I know, we blew a 3 score lead to Sac with 5 minutes left, & I think I've seen 3 scores in the last 2 minutes too, but those are really rare.

I was as pissed as anyone over the that flop, but if you want to win a game, your offense needs to keep up before it comes to letting a drama major affect the outcome of the game.
Agreed we should have avoided that situation but I guess to me garbage tine is when everyone knows it's over and the starters are making way for the 2nd teamers.

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:57 am

bobcat92 wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:I don't really get their whole "big brother" superiority complex. Both schools were established at the same time by the legislature-though what is now known as MSU started holding classes first. And MSU is vastly larger in acreage and enrollment. I guess their stadium is bigger and they have Monte. That must be it. :roll:
I just call them the "The Little University of Montana" or LUM for short. When I was at Bozeman late 80's early 90's they might have had slight edge in enrollment. I would never have thought that MSU would become the largest in enrollment.

I agree I don't understand the complex as well. I find it funny that UofM was actually MSU and MSU was MSC back in the day. A lot of the older Griz fans are really "MSU" graduates!
Yeah, it's cute how they have such a superiority complex that they feel we shouldn't have Montana in our name, so they call us Bozeman State. Hence, that is why I refer to them as "UM - University of Missoula." You know, that means they are just a slight small step ahead of Missoula College!!!

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay