End of Beau Baldwin?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: End of Beau Baldwin?

Post by BigBruceBaker » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:43 am

wbtfg wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:
FTG247365 wrote:
LIBBYCAT wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:Dakota has helped his last two head coaches get sh-t canned. Dude is like a black cloud. Ha...
Not to start an argument but I will say DP was not the problem there in Oregon or here for that matter. Both coaching staffs were presiding over programs in decline. Quarterback play was the least of Oregons problem from what I saw with Herbert or Prukop behind center.
I was thinking the same thing, DP played as good as he could, he had 4 freshman OL. I really feel there season would have ended the same regardless who is under center. I can only imagine this season might have hurt DP draft stock, but a good NFL team can see past that. Still wish he stayed here.
I'm not being a jerk at all to DP but he has NO draft stock. He might have got a FA tryout if he had stayed and had a huge season at MSU, but getting benched for a Freshman or Sophomore (whatever the dude is) isn't a resume builder. I will be completely shocked if he gets a FA signing or tryout.
Agreed.....He was benched in favor of True Freshman, Justin Herbert.

Dakota won't get an NFL look, but he could potentially be a very good QB in canada. I wish him all the best.
Agree. His skill set could be put to good use in the CFL. I wish him the best, he is a hellova athlete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:48 am

FTG247365 wrote:
LIBBYCAT wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:Dakota has helped his last two head coaches get sh-t canned. Dude is like a black cloud. Ha...
Not to start an argument but I will say DP was not the problem there in Oregon or here for that matter. Both coaching staffs were presiding over programs in decline. Quarterback play was the least of Oregons problem from what I saw with Herbert or Prukop behind center.
I was thinking the same thing, DP played as good as he could, he had 4 freshman OL. I really feel there season would have ended the same regardless who is under center. I can only imagine this season might have hurt DP draft stock, but a good NFL team can see past that. Still wish he stayed here.
Yep. The Oregon D effed Dakota. It was obvious the season was a loss after a month. You might as well play the heir apparent freshmen.

Oregon will go after Fleck and McElwain got thrown around here today too. My vote is Fleck but I'd like to have Mac at Oregon too.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:35 pm

Looks like Sonny Lubick should've taken our OC position (if the rumors were true and he was offered). Beats getting fired with the whole staff...

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:08 pm

blueandgoldblitz wrote:Looks like Sonny Lubick should've taken our OC position (if the rumors were true and he was offered). Beats getting fired with the whole staff...
Matt Lubick was the wr. coach and then moved up to OC for the Ducks. He was someone who was wanted to be our head coach. Not our OC.

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:36 pm

Bryan Harsin to Oregon, Baldwin to Boise. Voila'

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:01 pm

Those of you saying Oregon would never stoop to ranks of FCS to hire their head coach need to read up on we're Chip Kelly came from. Granted he had a year as OC but he didn't have any head coaching experience. My point is they could (and should) be interested in a guy that has had the sustained success Baldwin has had.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:15 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:Those of you saying Oregon would never stoop to ranks of FCS to hire their head coach need to read up on we're Chip Kelly came from. Granted he had a year as OC but he didn't have any head coaching experience. My point is they could (and should) be interested in a guy that has had the sustained success Baldwin has had.
Its pretty unusual for FCS coaches to get a head coaching gig at an FBS school. And I can't think of anyone off the top of my head that has ever gone from an FCS school to head coach at a Power 5 school, especially not a top 10% gig like Oregon. If Baldwin leaves EWU, either he's going to get a crummy HC job (like Bohl going to Wyoming) or an assistant. Even Kelly went from OC at New Hampshire to OC at Oregon.

Not saying it couldn't happen, but it would be a real surprise.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:16 pm

onceacat wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:Those of you saying Oregon would never stoop to ranks of FCS to hire their head coach need to read up on we're Chip Kelly came from. Granted he had a year as OC but he didn't have any head coaching experience. My point is they could (and should) be interested in a guy that has had the sustained success Baldwin has had.
Its pretty unusual for FCS coaches to get a head coaching gig at an FBS school. And I can't think of anyone off the top of my head that has ever gone from an FCS school to head coach at a Power 5 school, especially not a top 10% gig like Oregon. If Baldwin leaves EWU, either he's going to get a crummy HC job (like Bohl going to Wyoming) or an assistant. Even Kelly went from OC at New Hampshire to OC at Oregon.

Dennis Erickson

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:01 pm

onceacat wrote:

Jim Tressel

ElbowCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by ElbowCat » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:04 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
onceacat wrote:

Dennis Erickson
Erickson was a head coach at Wyoming and then moved on to Washington State as HC. Granted he was only there one year.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Erickson

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:09 am

ElbowCat wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
onceacat wrote:

Dennis Erickson
Erickson was a head coach at Wyoming and then moved on to Washington State as HC. Granted he was only there one year.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Erickson
Those were both 1-A schools.

Forgot about Tressel. So, 140 some odd coaching positions over 3 decades, and there is one guy getting a promo from FCS to a top tier HC gig. I still think it would be a surprise.

catbooster
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by catbooster » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:13 am

The previous EWU HC - Paul Wulff

catpound
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catpound » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:39 am

My prediction: Harsin from Boise gets the Oregon job, Baldwin gets the Boise job. Hopefully Gubrud transfers to Boise

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:55 am

Oregon's situation is much different than years past. This is the first time since 1976 that Oregon has fired a head football coach. They aren't going to take chances on a coach with no FBS experience. Willie Taggert at USF and Greg Schiano are the 2 newest coaches linked to the job. Schiano would be a huge mistake in my opinion.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:52 pm

catpound wrote:My prediction: Harsin from Boise gets the Oregon job, Baldwin gets the Boise job. Hopefully Gubrud transfers to Boise
I would be EXTREMELY surprised if Fleck wasn't the hire.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:52 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:Oregon's situation is much different than years past. This is the first time since 1976 that Oregon has fired a head football coach. They aren't going to take chances on a coach with no FBS experience. Willie Taggert at USF and Greg Schiano are the 2 newest coaches linked to the job. Schiano would be a huge mistake in my opinion.
Pretty sure it's just between getting Chip back, or hiring Fleck. Taggert was the Rooney Rule interview.

catpound
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catpound » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:13 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
catpound wrote:My prediction: Harsin from Boise gets the Oregon job, Baldwin gets the Boise job. Hopefully Gubrud transfers to Boise
I would be EXTREMELY surprised if Fleck wasn't the hire.
I shouldn't have used prediction, I meant my hope!

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:43 pm

from The Scoop
http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

Nevada: Sources tell FootballScoop that Nevada considers Vanderbilt offensive coordinator Andy Ludwig a strong candidate for their open head coaching position. ESPN’s Adam Rittenberg is reporting that Eastern Washington’s (FCS) Beau Baldwin is also a candidate. Over the past few days we have also heard Baldwin’s name mentioned as a potential candidate.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:24 pm

JDoub wrote:from The Scoop
http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

Nevada: Sources tell FootballScoop that Nevada considers Vanderbilt offensive coordinator Andy Ludwig a strong candidate for their open head coaching position. ESPN’s Adam Rittenberg is reporting that Eastern Washington’s (FCS) Beau Baldwin is also a candidate. Over the past few days we have also heard Baldwin’s name mentioned as a potential candidate.
They better also have an idea on how to stop the run. unr was absolutely terrible this season.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:39 pm

wbtfg wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:
FTG247365 wrote:
LIBBYCAT wrote:
I'm not being a jerk at all to DP but he has NO draft stock. He might have got a FA tryout if he had stayed and had a huge season at MSU, but getting benched for a Freshman or Sophomore (whatever the dude is) isn't a resume builder. I will be completely shocked if he gets a FA signing or tryout.
Agreed.....He was benched in favor of True Freshman, Justin Herbert.

Dakota won't get an NFL look, but he could potentially be a very good QB in canada. I wish him all the best.
Wasn't that less because Herbert was a better QB and more because they wanted to develop the young guy? Still, pretty strong indictment that he couldn't hack it, but I don't think that's going to be looked at the same way as somebody who had been in the program and then couldn't make it. Seems like NFL teams would look and say "hey, this guy came in, new to the program, didn't light the world on fire, so Oregon wanted to think toward the future." He's just had to run for his life in pretty much every college football game he's ever played in. I'd like to see what the kid can do when he can be a little more comfortable in the pocket. If Alabama was taking that strong of a look at him I'd think there's something there that a rough year wouldn't completely ruin.